Fan Fiction ❯ Second Advent of the Vow ❯ Onwards to the heretic's realms ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I think you might already know that I do not own these characters, Namco does.

Chapter IV: Onward to the heretic's realms

The three warriors felt relieved to confirm that the stone serpent right in front of them matched that on the map that the mysterious Englishwoman had drawn on the inn about a month ago before suddenly disappearing. A sight of collective relief and a surge of adrenaline coursed through their travel-worn bodies as they passed the strange, antique looking landmark that marked the entrance to the forbidden lands of the heretics. They had used the map with apprehension, fearing she had left them with a worthless copy that would lead them to nowhere or worse, to a trap. But so far, everything that was indicated on her flawless handwriting and her meticulous designs had leaded them to genuine paths. Of course, they suspected that devious intentions were veiled somewhere because no one and much less Ivy would be so uninterested to offer such a tool that would surely lead to them right to Bangoo's kidnappers. Just stepping into the cult's lands was danger enough in itself, but the whip blade wielders' intrigues added yet another layer of difficulty to the mission. They had been very much aware of that fact when they took the map and decided to use it anyway, because the alternative would be to start back on step one and search frantically for fresh traces of the Fygul Cestemus. However, that might spell a doomed destiny for the young orphan, something Rock intended to avoid at all costs, even if it meant more dangers to himself and his companions.

By ridding hard and limiting the rest schedules, they had managed to cover the intended distances right as planned and their well layout plans had bore good results. The endless sleepless nights, uncomfortable campouts, meager food and general fatigue were starting to bring their worst personal traits and lately they had been bursting in frustration and anger towards each other, triggered by the most trivial things. But now, all that was left behind as the anticipation of facing the dreaded Fygul Cestemus was again making their minds focus on their intended goal. For the youngest of their group, this leg of the journey had been particularly straining and not in the physical sense, but on the emotional. Taki and Rock even feared their Greek companion would desert them at any instant, fed up with the restless tempo of their search to return home, but instead she had chosen not to. Sophitia earned once again their utmost respect and empathy. Unlike them, she did have something to live for besides vengeance or duty, but she had postponed her happiness to fulfill her sacred duties and help them once and for all destroy Soul Edge and sidetrack those who dare covet it for evil.

The Demon huntress could still remember the young woman whom she had nursed to health three years ago. Her first impression was that she did not seemed to be fit as a warrior at all, yet remarkably, it had been precisely that young, almost innocent looking woman who had shattered and destroyed half of Soul Edge from Cervantes' grasp. The deed almost took the highest of tolls on her, but the ninja's timely intervention spared her from imminent demise from the multiple wounds the fragments had inflicted. She wondered how she had endured such a death match that had brought doom to more seasoned fighters. But it was this humble girl's undefiled faith that had accomplished what pure skill hadn't. For Taki, it had been almost a shock to recognize the same fair-haired woman as that of the past. The experience had brought a wisdom forged in the blood, sweat and fire of battle and the up close knowledge of the evil weapon's destructive powers an iron determination. And she, a trained warrior from her most tender years, a fearless slayer of formidable creatures of the Netherworld could not help but feel a deep admiration towards the baker's daughter who yet again followed the Oracle that beckoned her to banish the cursed blade. But her knowledgeable dark eyes could easily acknowledge by the shadows of deep longing that shrouded the emerald glance on the cover of the night that the Athenian had indeed left her heart behind...

-"I hope you will be able to recover it soon, my friend," Taki hoped.

Somewhere close to Greek isles, a ship was on full sail, cruising head on towards port. A young man rested his elbows over the wooden edge of the bow, his sight lost on the endless horizon that seemed to merge heaven and earth. The sea breeze made the delicate blue ribbon he held dance and twirl at the winds' fancy. His eyes came down on the ribbon, the same that held him company on his travel back to the homeland. The same that spoke to him with words only he could hear, sweet words of hope and promises of love. He could still recall waking up that morning on a state of euphoria and utter bliss, fearing it had only been a fancy of his feverish mind, when his eyes gazed upon the silky blue ribbon that rested as delicately as it's owner on his pillow. It had not been a dream!, he realized with joy. And now, his mission in life was to keep such treasure until it's owner's return. He held the ribbon up and took it to his lips, muttering a prayer of safe return to Hermes, the messenger of the Olympians and patron of the travelers.

-"May the swift Hermes bring you back unharmed, my love."



-"So I see, our plan is gearing just as we expected my dear Countess." The Grand Priest held a cup of the best Chardonnay while watching at the contraption that allowed him see more than the naked eye could. On the glass sphere, three mounted figures crossed cautiously the barren lands of his dominion. Behind him, shrouded by shadows, resting on a corner of the walled precinct, a tall, cloaked figure stood still, just the glimpse of ice -cold blue eyes flickering amid the darkness.

-"I did my part, Grand Priest Kumpaetku. I hope I see true your promise as soon as this annoyance is dealt with."

Arching an eyebrow, the Priest brought the cup down and out of nowhere, a frail looking child rushed towards him, bowed deeply and instantly took the glass delicately from his master's hand.

-"There, and you better choose more carefully whom you talk to. I've heard rumors you've been talking to outsiders about the things you see here. I'm sure you don't want to join your predecessor on his new destiny, right?"

The child shuddered violently, his face paling fast. A loud gulp was heard as he shook his head vehemently in negative.

-"That's better. Now leave, before my magnanimous mood dissipates and I decide a daring new form in which to transform you. Now go!"

His small hands held tightly the glass cup as his feet took him swiftly out of the hall. As the Grand Priest talked, shrieks echoed through the Grand Hall's walls. The figure behind him moved slightly, revealing a brief moment of discomfort. The Priest sensed his guest's reaction and turning towards her with a wicked smile said:

-"Is that little bit bothering you my friend? Why, is just the cries of new life erupting from yet another of my wonderful creations. I bet your are frightful, yet immensely curious to witness such a momentous event."

-"My dear Kumpaetku, let's just say that even my limitless curiosity knows it's boundaries and I am afraid that it is precisely one. I just want to receive my share from my work, that is all," the female voice replied.

-"Oh dear, I am so sad to hear that. A person with your skills and abilities could well reach some of the highest positions in our organization. Maybe even second to me", he said as his eyes lecherously caressed the shapely figure of his guest.

Lady Isabella's features shone in full glory as she stepped forward towards the candlelight. The hood of her cape softly slipped down to reveal the shock of silver hair that reflected flickers of yellow and red flames, her form fitting crimson and gold ensemble enhancing the image, as if her head was surrounded by a fiery halo. She returned a customary indifferent glance towards her admirer. Men were all the same, she thought and she could not expect any good from them, only what she could extract from them.

-"Tools, just mere tools to serve my plans," she reflected while ignoring the lewd glance.

-"Seems my offer is not tempting enough for you now my beautiful huntress, but I'm confident you will change your opinion when Soul Edge rests on my hand and my power becomes limitless. But I am a patient man, and eventually, you too will be partner and witness of my ascent to power. But let's not delay our plans with daydreaming. Let's better get ready to give our guests the most proper welcome."

More inhuman screams filled the underground halls and the Grand Priest uttered a chuckle. "Soon, the whole world will overflow with the magnificent sounds of the birth of my perfect creatures and the glory of Palgaea will rule forever, with me as its supreme master."

Ivy stood up silent, eager to receive her part of the bargain and leave this madman behind. He did not suspect at all that his plans would be foiled right from the inside. What he ignored is that his failed attempt of utilizing her at his whims would soon come to an end and abruptly at that. The Englishwoman too excelled at patience, and as a lioness, she was willing to wait with caution until the right occasion rose, and then the fool will know how really had been in charge all along. First Kumpaektu, then that arrogant bastard Nightmare and the abomination of Astaroth; all of them would receive a most unpleasant death by her Ivy Blade. A small smile curved on her lips, the anticipation growing within. The taste of vengeance will never feel so sweet! She looked at the Grand Priest again with deep scorn as he busied himself with the preparations to give the most proper "welcome" to the incoming trespassers.

-"These three are very dangerous. I'm still not sure whether to keep them alive as "guests" in my dungeons to offer them to Soul Edge or just kill them. But if I keep them here, that doesn't mean you cannot have your share of fun with them with that nice weapon of yours. What do you think my dear Countess? Would you care to accept the privilege of first blood as a good will gift from me?"

-"I would appreciate any gift that would allow me to strengthen my Ivy Blade."

-"Well then, it is decided then. You'll accompany me when they are captured. It sure will be fun to see your rematch with the ninja. After all, you two have unfinished business. See my dear what your future might be if you join me?"

The Grand Priest stood up and brought his sweaty hand upon Lady Isabella's shoulders, his glance running every inch of her 5'10 body. She stood still, arching a brow, suppressing the urge to draw her beloved sword and strangle the depraved man, but instead, she gave him a small smile. He stepped in front of her and with his index finger, caressed her cheekbone and traced her long neck. She flinched slightly but stood her ground. He lowered his head towards her when a beast very much similar to Astaroth rushed the room.

-"Master, I'm sorry to interrupt you, but the strangers are approaching fast. They just passed the Crimson Pentagon and……"

-"Enough Pollux! I understand! I'm sorry to leave you my beloved Countess but I fear our friends have arrived sooner than expected. We'll meet at the underground Shrine, but do not fear. I can put apart all the time of the world just for you."

And with a bow and visibly enraged by the interruption, he followed the golem, who's face was now deprived of color at the sight of the priest's angry eyes. She returned the bow and her glance saw him get lost in one of the multiple dark corridors of Palgaea. Her features soon grimaced in disgust. But soon she would not have to put up with any of Kumpaetku's advances.

-"Enjoy now your little perks of power, you pathetic fool, because in the end it is I who will prevail."



The horses had been moving restlessly under their riders for the past hours, as the warrior party immersed deeper and deeper on the unknown realms of the cult of Palgaea. Taki's experience as a demonslayer had proven most invaluable, as she could understand some of the strange markings of the large stone obelisks that bordered the thin, twisted road towards the underground hideout of the heretics. Rock and Sophitia had to admit to themselves that the hairs of the arms had been standing up for quite a while and a slight touch of white had substituted their normal skin tone. Nothing they had faced before, not even the lizardmen army or the blood golems compared to the decisively eerie tone this place had unto itself. A grayish sky had been upon them since they had crossed the stone serpent and mist of the same tone engulfed the surroundings. Littered all around their eyes could see, small shrines carved in rocks with blue fires lit held remnants of what seemed to be human bones as offerings to dark deities. All typical forest animals had gave way to predators and scavengers and by their healthy looks, they did not seem to have problems at all finding a good meal on this barren place. The croak of coal-coated ravens resounded with a haunting echo, as the long howling of wolves ringing on their ears seemed in the intent of erasing their will to go on. A slight scent of blood and ashes permeated on the air.

Taki's dark eyes pierced the road ahead, her ninja senses aroused with the familiarity of evil's manifestation on the physical world. She had seen places like this before on her native homeland; abominations such the ones she was trained to hunt preferred to hide in such places so they could feed from human fear and cowardice the dark surroundings rouse on those who threaded them. She had sensed Mekki Maru stir, feeding from the kinship this place offered to the mysterious blade.

-"We have just passed the Crimson Pentagram, as Ivy marked on the map. We are just mere steps to find the Hydra's Gates, right about there."

Taki's hand pointed towards a large mountain. From its top, an ashen smoke bellowed steadily from its interior and all surrounding it was even more barren and dark than the lands they had seen up to that moment. A steady roar under their feet greeted them as if the gates' namesake was about to emerge from the hard soil to protect the dark secrets the mountain hid. The horses jumped and whinnied nervously. Sophitia patted hers on the neck, more as a way to calm her own nerves rather than her mount's.

-"Have we reached the pits of Hades?", Sophitia thought apprehensively, as the childhood description of the fabled hell seemed to materialize right in front of her. "Can you see the gates Taki?"

-"I have to get closer. Be on the ready. Who knows what kind of foul contraptions might be hidden to avoid trespassers to penetrate the filthy bowels of this place."

The axe-wielding giant and the Greek maiden gripped their weapons, holding fast the reins of their very panicky equines. The ninja approached the solid rock carefully, her footing light as a feather. She checked the map again to see if Ivy had left any sort of footnote or annotation. She must have been very confident or planned any type of double-cross because indeed, she had annotated the incantation to open the door that was supposed to be hidden somewhere on the rock. But where exactly?

-"I can't see the gate yet but this is supposed to be right place. Let try this. I hope this is the right pronunciation. Ard nm melph uls yels vis cusph er xa Aris."

-"Did Ivy write that? What that's supposed to mean?" asked Rock.

-"Yes she did and it means 'welcome children of the blood-thirsty mighty Ares.'"

-"My, what a group of sweet, peace loving folk!" muttered Rock.

-"Be quiet! I think it worked", said Taki, noticing a slight quake from the surface of the mountain wall. A burst of light pierced the rock surrounding the large hydra carving. A roaring sound accompanied the trembling on the solid surface and to their astonished eyes, the shape of a monumental gate materialized. The gate's doors flung open revealing the opening to a dark cavern.

-"Here it is, the entrance to Palgaea", said the ninja. The trio peeked carefully at the interior. The uniformity of the pitch-black darkness was splintered by the light of scattered torches hanging on the cave's roughened walls. A dank smell came strongly from the inside and the scent of freshly spilled blood was noticeably strong. The warriors took a last look at the bleak exterior while unpacking their possessions and tying down their horses, hoping none of the wolves that they had seen on their way was hungry enough to prey on them while they were inside. Rock painted his body with black broad stripes and covered his head with a rhino's skull. After sealing Mekki-Maru, Taki adjusted her dragon's pattern gauntlet and the silver waistplate that went over her blue outfit while muttering a mantra to dissipate all fears from her spirit. Her head bowed, Sophitia invoked Hephaestus and Athenea requesting their blessings and assistance on the ordeal that they were about to commence while her hands tied firmly the belts around the white leggings that complemented her white, blue and lavender dress. Rock swung Apocalypse over his herculean shoulders and took a step forward.

-"We're here finally. I truly appreciate what you are doing for me and my son. I will make sure you will make it out of here alive so you can give that bastard Nightmare and his allies a well-deserved lesson.", said Rock to his fellow companions as emotion threatened to break his voice.

-"Rock, we will be successful and you will return home with Bangoo in no time," answered Sophitia, admiring the formidable warrior's affection towards his adopted son.

-"We better hurry up. I have the feeling a Palgaean welcoming party might be assembling as we speak to let us know how they feel about our unexpected visit to their lovely layer", said the ninja as she scanned around for any incoming guards.

-"Let's go then!" exclaimed Rock, leading the group on their way past the Hydra gates.

Without any hesitation, the small group of warriors entered the mouth of the cavern. As soon as their feet touched the hard ground of the cave, the doors closed instantly. The warriors turned in unison to see the last shreds of daylight disappear behind the heavy gate, trapping them inside.

-"Well, guess we have no other choice but press forward" the Asian fighter said as she grabbed one of the old torches on the wall.

On another sector of Palgaea, avid eyes awaited eagerly the brave fighters. The Grand Priest Kumpaetku caressed the crystal orb as around him a group of selected golems and lizardmen armed to the hilt awaited their master's orders. An evil smile crossed the priest's face.

-"Welcome my friends and I hope you decide to stay with us forever!"