Fan Fiction ❯ Skyhawke ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Welcome to Skyhawke! The first few chapters of this are a little shaky, but they improve. Constructive criticism would be appreciated, even if it's as small as a misspelling. Flames are cute, send them if you dare :).

Disclaimer (or maybe just Claimer): This story is mine. Yay me! <*^.~*>

Ch 1-

The sun peaked tentatively over the horizon, gradually painting the valley in shades of rose and gold. Light cascaded onto the quaint village and the aged tower at its center. The stumpy tower was shrouded in vines and moss.

Morgan Landus watched the sunrise from her window in the midsection of the tower; `It's so peaceful.' She thought, yet instead of feeling serene, she felt empty. She felt as if she could be doing something more, but she was stuck watching the sunrise. She sighed; it was as if her life had come to a dead end. Sure, she was the apprentice to a renowned battlemage, but he was old and had taught her everything he knew. But it wasn't enough.

Morgan sighed, brushing her reddish brown hair out of her storm blue eyes, but she didn't want to leave Ashiri Valley. Not really…. Well she didn't think she wanted to leave, besides, she was only fifteen. Too young for adventures… or was she?

"Morgan?" a raspy voice wheezed, "Open up here please?" Morgan pulled herself away from the window and her thoughts to see what the elderly mage wanted.

Opening the door, Morgan was greeted by Battlemage Zelek. At his advanced age, he only had a few wisps of hair and bushy white eyebrows. His body was stooped and he walked with a limp, but his sea-blue eyes were as young as ever. He was known throughout Ashiri Village for always wearing his traditional mage uniform.

The uniform consisted of a deep blue robe belted in silver rope. The robe clasped at the neck with three blue topaz lines dangling from a sapphire water drop, both set in silver. The last symbol on the chain was a miniature steel sword. The three badges signified his mastery of Water magic, Air magic, and his status as a Battlemage respectively.

"Morgan, follow me!" Morgan dutifully followed the old mage, saving her questions. They arrived at Zelek's chamber. The room was sparsely furnished, boasting only a bed, a desk, and a chair. Ancient chests, shelves, and random piles of paper, however, took up the extra space. Zelek gestured absentmindedly at the chair and busily began to open and close the various chests lying around the room.

"Where is it...Ah!", Zelek pushed away a pile of old books to reveal a chest that seemed less worn than the others. "I've been saving these for this moment." Morgan approached the chest and glanced at Zelek to see his encouraging smile. Morgan lifted the lid and gasped.

Inside the chest was a gleaming sword. The blade was long and slim, and very keen. The hilt was wrapped in deep blue leather and a blue topaz adorned the pommel.

"She's named Tempest." Zelek said fondly.

Morgan looked at him sharply, "Your sword? You're giving it to me?" Zelek nodded. "But why?"

Zelek nodded at the chest, "There's more." Morgan lifted the sword out of the chest and pulled aside it's deep blue scabbard. Underneath she found a journey pack, a map, and a few other miscellaneous items necessary for travel…

"You're sending me away." It wasn't a question; it was a statement of fact. Morgan didn't know whether to be excited or sad.

Zelek nodded again, "I've taught you everything I know without teaching you magic. You won't learn anything else here." Morgan just stared at the map, feeling a multitude of opportunities open up, but one door irrevocably slam shut behind her.

"Where will I go?" Morgan asked.

Zelek hesitated, "I need you to do something for me…"

<*~.~*>

"So this… Suhnam… gem was stolen from your father?" Morgan asked, horrified. She had no choice but to go now.

"Yes, by three renegade magi…" Zelek sighed, "I've tried to get it back, but they crippled me…" he indicated his leg.

"I'd be happy to get it for you!" Morgan exclaimed, "Where do I find this… Suhnam?"

<*~.~*>

Later that day, Morgan said her goodbyes to Zelek.

"Now remember," he warned, "Head east until you reach Lake Amir then follow the Teki River southeast until you reach the ocean. There should be a port there, take a ship to Guardian Island. Suhnam should be there." Morgan nodded, glancing at the map where the route was traced out. She turned away from the village she grew up in and headed out into the world, never seeing the secretive smile on Zelek's craggy face.