Fan Fiction ❯ Soul of the Blade ❯ Black soul ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tencho looked at Katsumi and noticed she was paying attention. She opened the door of the house and invited Tencho and Ketshomaru in. Ketshomaru had an astonished look on is face.

“Tencho, welcome home, you too Ketshomaru.” Ketshomaru took off his slippers and his gi. Tencho did the same.

“I won't call it home just yet.”Tencho's face was still the same as always; stern, straight and unfaulted.

Kasumi began, “Allow me to introduce the members of this household. This is Kyoko, my baby sister.” He patted a short girl on the head with black hair and pigtails, big colorful eyes of a toddler, and was wearing a pink kimono. “Go on Kyoko. Greet Mr. Tencho and Mr.Ketshomaru.”

Kyoko shyly walked up to them real fast and whispered, “Hi.”

Kasumi laughed. “I'm sorry. Kyoko is only 3 and she's a bit shy.” Tencho and Ketshomaru joined in the laughter.

Another woman about the same age as Kasumi (21yrs.) walked in. “Hello. I am Sakura, the cook and this is Grandfather Hibachi.” She pointed to a generous looking old man who waved. “He's rarely awake so it's quite important you get to know him as soon as possible.” She giggled. She had long flowing black hair like Kasumi and a bow in her hair. Though her eyes were a bit softer than Kasumi's.

“Well, guys, it's getting kind of late. Your rooms are down the hall and the third room on the right.”

Tencho and Ketshomaru didn't even care and weren't paying attention at all. They were so astounded by the massive size of the house. Tencho gaped in awe as he tried to speak but the words were swallowed. He closed his mouth

“Hey. Tencho.” Ketshomaru grabbed him on the shoulder. “Look they have a dojo in here. Pretty cool. C'mon.” He dragged Tencho whose eyes grew even wider and rounder than earlier. He was awed by the quality of the dojo and its size. “So Tencho, how about a nice clean bout real quick. I just want to test how much stronger than me than you are.” Tencho didn't laugh and didn't by the joke. "I won't le tmy guard down, Ketshomaru."

Tencho picked up a bokken from a rack and tossed another to Ketshomaru. “ Suit yourself."

“ Ketshomaru tilted his head at him. “ Bring it on.”

“ RAAGH!” Tencho ran at Ketshomaru and swung the bokken at him.
Ketshomaru easily dodged and sliced his bokken at Tencho who jumped into the air and came down with an open counter attack. The moon seemed to howl at this attack but as rapid as it was Ketshomaru seemed to block the attack.

“Yaggh!” Ketshomaru stabbed his bokken at Tencho. Tencho blocked and elbowed Ketshomaru in the face. He stumbled back giving Tencho an open attack in which he took. Tencho whacked Ketshomaru across the side of the head with. “Kyah!” Then he hit Ketshomaru in the stomach with it. Ketshomaru appeared to be unready for another attack so Tencho was drawn into the trap and volleyed into the air and came down with a heavy strike but Ketshomaru quickly hit Tencho in the jaw as he came down. Tencho flew to the ground shattering blow. The attack was a failure as Tencho recoiled from the wall, twisted his body to put monetum into his attack then swung the wooden sword, hitting Ketshomaru on the side of his neck. Ketshomaru spun and whacked corner of the room and rose to his feet quickly. “Ketshomaru. You're skill is utterly astonishing. You have powerful attacks.” Smile rose on Ketshomaru's exhausted face. He swung a heavy attack at Tencho who deflected it and ensued with a rapid barrage of slashes leaving Ketshomaru on the ground, battered.

“Hey, take it easy. You've won. It's over.” Tencho helped Ketshomaru up to his feet.

“You have much to learn but so far you're pretty good, Ketshomaru.”

“You aren't too bad yourself, Tencho. I hope we get a chance to have a fight like this again someday. But until then, see ya later.” He left the dojo.

“Say, Ketshomaru. Isn't the Shukenji gang the men who assassinated four generals.

Ketshomaru stopped in his tracks then tilted his head to the side a bit. “They are. They're astounding peple. That's what makes then so dangerous.”

“So why doesn't the Shogunate government do anything about this? They are committing serious crimes around there! Destroying innocent people!”

Ketshomaru began walking in his steady pace again. “So did you." Ketshomaru left the room without another word.

Tencho stood gazing at nothing, with his eyes just peering off into the distance. He put up his bokken, bowed and left the dojo.

The next morning Tencho was the first one up. He was standing outside in front of the entrance and observing the beautiful scenery. Never before had he laid eyes on such a magnificent and wonderful sight. He felt a slight tugging at his pants. It was Kyoko. She had her thumb in her mouth and continuously tugged at Tencho's trousers even though he gave her his full attention. “Mr. Hamasaki can you tell me a story?”

Tencho smiled at her, “Of course, I'd love-.” Tencho's pupils paled out to a grayish white. He smelled something. He smelt bloodlust in the air. Evil was lurking about. His eyes soon seemed to hollow out and he noticed that there was another presence close by, very close. “KYOKO GET IN THE HOUSE!!!” Tencho shoved Kyoko into the house and was caught in the arms of Kasumi.

A dart hurled by Tencho's head and in less than one second Tencho deflected it with his katana. “Shinobi (ninja)! Show yourself, coward! I said show yourself!!!” Tencho paused a moment. He heard footsteps approaching. They grew louder. “I see nothing, yet the footsteps seem to approach me. How can this be? Is my mind fooling me?” He heard a loud bellow. It was the assassin. Tencho was still gazing around looking for it, but out of nowhere Tencho was slashed by something from behind. It left a large gash on his shoulder. Another attack was attempted but luckily Tencho leapt out of range. The attacker grew fiercer and began to attack Tencho from all sides. Tencho tried his best to block as many as possible, though he was only able to stop a few. Blood rolled down his forehead and into his mouth. “A true warrior would show his self. And wouldn't hide, fearing death. You're pathetic.”

By this time, all of the residents of the house had come out to watch. They were standing out there wide-eyed and fearing the worst- Tencho's death.

The assassin locked eyes with them and began towards their direction. His invisibility gave him the advantage of stealth. Tencho finally figured that the ninja was no longer after him, but Kasumi's family instead.

“You guys, watch out!! He's after you!!! Run!!”
They obeyed the order and began to run scurry away. Tencho began to rush towards them as well. The ninja got closer and closer until soon Kyoko tripped over a stone and fell on the heavy dirt. The assassin ceased the opportunity and drew a shuriken at his victims. It cut through the air like a knife and made a whistling noise.

“No!!” Tencho saw it and out of rage he began to glow! The wind howled and as the shuriken was just a few feet from them, Tencho began to run at an extremely high speed and began to run in the air as the wind blew. He seemed to be a blur as he and ended up in front of the shuriken. Everyone gasped and could hardly even tell what happened for it all took place within five seconds. There was a 3-inch deep gash in Tencho's abdomen where the shuriken rested. He ignored it as if nothing had touched him and started towards where he believed the assassin was. The glow around him began to lose its shininess and began to take on a more blackish texture. His eyes fixated on a particular spot, then all of a sudden he outstretched his right arm and grabbed what felt like the collar of the ninja.
“Please! I beg of you! Do not harm me! I was only doing this for my life! Please!! Wind Runner! No don't harm me! I beg-“

“Shut up!” Tencho growled as his pupils glowed red and the wind began to howl louder than a train. Trees began to blow fiercely and debris was being tossed around rapidly. “You expect me to bare mercy upon you! You stupid child! Why should I? You attempted murder on all that I have! Yet you expect mercy to be shed upon you!! You shall die the same dreadful death as the ones who killed my long lost friend, all that I had.” He raised his sword and as he brought it down, his eyes widened. He dropped his sword to the ground and stared at it. Fear filled his eyes at what he saw. His sword was not its original silver color, it had transformed. It was black and stained with blood! “How can this be.” I hadn't even laid my sword on this boy once yet.” The blood on his sword resembled the blood from 5 years ago when he had dispatched of the soldiers that took his friend's life. The sword was the same black sword as the mass-murderer, Anji. He looked at his palm and saw the same frightful past image. His palms were badly stained with blood. Not from his own body but the same blood from 5 years ago. It was in the form of shape of Anji's face. “Raaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhh!” Tencho howled. “How can this be possible. There's no possible way!”

Kasumi and the rest rushed to his side. They were gazing at him empathetically. The boy got up and ran away.

“What's wrong Tencho?” Kasumi asked as she patted his back.

Tencho rose to his feet. “Nothing.” His eyes were still glued to his palm. “Errgh!” The wound on his chest glowed and he covered it with his arm. After he could endure no more, he fell forwards and collapsed.
 
Ketshomaru entered the room and to his surprise Tencho was awake. “That shuriken. The one that hit you was tipped in the poison used by the Shukenji Gang. I don't know how you managed to even survive. It would have easily killed a human within an hour. But since you survived I'm sure you'll get along just fine.”
Kyoko popped in and began to talk immediately. “No!!!! Don't die! Please get better because if you don't, I won't have anyone to tell me bedtime stories, or play with, or help me read.”
Tencho turned his head and faced her. He let out a weak smile. “Don't worry. I'll get better, just for you, Kyoko.” He paused. His head turned to Sakura, the maid. “So, when will I get better? A week? Two weeks?”
She let out a silent giggle. “No silly, it should take about 5 months if you're lucky. So stay in bed, I'll be delighted to tend to any and all of your needs.”
“No it's alright. I'll get along just fine. Besides, five months is plenty of time for me to catch up on my sleep. Don't worry I'll be fine. I'm sure of it.”
Everyone listened and left the room, taking one last peak before they actually exited. There was long silence as the room was transformed into a baron wasteland. The wind outside began to quiet so everything was brought to a near stillness. The silence was broken in an instance, when the door was slammed open. It was Ketshomaru. He stepped into Tencho's room. “Hey, How ya' doing'?”
“Never been better,” Tencho replied slowly turning his head around.
“Well, I just dropped by to see if you were doing alright.” He waved good-bye and left the room.
Tencho rested his head backwards and tried to draw in as much oxygen as possible. All of a sudden, Ketshomaru barged into the room with a rolled up sheet of paper in his hand. “Here, Tencho. Read this.”
Tencho clutched the paper in his hand and unrolled it. It was a note. It read:
 
Dear Mr. Hamasaki,
I'm writing this letter to you as a formal greeting of friendship, might I say. I am Tomoyama Shujirei, leader of the infamous gang of thieves and assassins, the Shukenji Gang. I apologize for not being able to formally introduce myself in our first meeting back at the castle but I wish to make that up. To test and truly see what you are made of, I challenge you to a duel at Kitanoji plains tomorrow, if you daring to accept. And knowing who you are, you can't help but to accept my terms, Tencho Hamasaki, or should I say…Wind Runner.
 
-Shujirei
 
Tencho clutched the paper now with an even firmer grip, crumpling it. A frown formed on his face.
Ketshomaru peered at gazed at him. He slammed his hands on the desk and started to shout. “You aren't actually planning on going you are?!”
Tencho calmly looked into the eyes of Ketshomaru. “I don't have a choice.”
Ketshomaru growled and tightened his fist. “What do you mean?! What are you trying to say?!”
“Heh. What I'm saying is that once someone has made a name for himself, it his duty to live up to that name no matter what. And I've created a name for myself, being known as one of the greatest murderers of all time and also a great and fearless samurai, it is my duty to live up to this.” He rose and sat on his bed. He then took his long sleek black sword and gi. “I'm sorry, but it's not my choice.” He gave Ketshomaru a quick smile then completely rose from his bed. “Are you going to stop me?”
Ketshomaru stared at him with a blank look, then slowly left the room. Tencho put on his white and black gi and proceeded as he had planned. As he exited the household, the wind howled and blew his long spiky black hair to the side of his head. One step of his foot in the inch thick snow, and the wind came to a complete halt, thus his journey began. He walked through the thicket of snow confidently and each step with great empowerment. His journey to Kitanoji was temporarily ceased as he came across something peculiar. It was a dead body in a huge plain. The blood was dry so the murder hadn't taken place recently. Kneeling down, he tilted the body at an angle and noticed a thin arrow pierced deeply into the man's side. Then he looked up and right before his eyes was a sea of corpses.