Fan Fiction ❯ Stone of Souls ❯ The Persle ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It had been nearly a day since Karenth had found the bird girl unconcious underneath the silver fir tree. When he found her, he couldn't believe his eyes. Her clothes were tattered and worn, but she had a soft aura to her. It felt unholy for him to even touch her. But he could not leave her out there. He bought her into the farmhold of Valedge, laying her on a bed in a vacant room. Almost all of the rooms in the farmhold were vacant, all except for one which was for his own. He lived on his own, despite being the young age of fifteen.

But he was not alone, for his friend Yakov usually visited Valedge, though he lived in the town part of Lorhall. As close as brothers, they are, not being too different from each other. Karenth kept to himself and didn't like talking to others, while Yakov was somewhat playful, and enjoyed making others laugh, though they share their quality of shyness.

Boiling a pan of chicory tea, he went back to watching the bird girl, seeing if she would ever wake up. He hoped that she wasn't in a coma, yet he wanted her to stay asleep. He didn't know what he would say once she had awoken.

At last the girl had began to stir. Holding his cup of tea, he peered over her face, being only an inch apart, seeing if she would wake up fully. She opened her eyes with great speed, that it surprised the boy and almost made him stumble backwards.

"Are you alright?" he finally asked, his tone gentle.

The bird girl trembled slightly, backing away from him on the bed until her wings reached the wall. Karenth reached over to touch her, but she flinched when he merely raised his hand.

"I mean you no harm. Please, can you tell me your name?"

There was silence. It looked as if she wouldn't answer him, which would make it harder for him.

"Can you tell me where you are from?"

Still silence. The bird girl had this longing look of telling him this information, but she still would not speak. Finally, he sighed, got up, and walked towards the pan of chicory tea to pour her a cup.

"I don't know where you were headed to, or where you are from, but it seems that you have managed to stumble your way to Lorhal," he said, trying to ease her to talk as he walked towards her, with the new cup of chicory at his left hand. He handed it to her, and she gratefully took the cup and drank it down.

After a while of trying to start conversation with the bird girl, he finally gave up and walked off into the kitchen to make dinner for the both of them.

The dish he prepared was simple. It consisted of chicken that Yakov had bought as a gift from the other day, and a few herbs from Karenth's garden. He made it into a broth, just in case the bird girl couldn't chew, though he couldn't see why she couldn't. She seemed perfectly fine to him, just slightly rattled up. Bringing in both bowls, he walked into the room once more and peered over to the girl. She was fast asleep. Ah well. He put her bowl onto the drawer next to her bed and noticed something. A peice of paper. Picking it up, he examined it. It had not been there before. There was something written on it, seemingly to be by the bird girl, since Karenth could never hope to write so elegantly and neat. On the paper, the message was simple and it was in his language.

What it said was, 'Take me to White oak.'

Author's Note: I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It's my first time writing an original story and posting it up onto a website. ^^; Please excuse any errors, and I hope it wasn't too boring.