Fan Fiction ❯ Such a thing could never be... ❯ Such a thing could never be... ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I own nothing. Joss Whendon does.
 
There are spoilers up to season six's “Older and Far Away” . This takes place right after Anya's called in Halfrek. The dialogue is a little different, but the storyline isn't butchered or anything.
 
***************************************************************** *******
Such a thing could never be…
***************************************************************** *******
 
“Honestly Anyanka! You used to know how to have actual fun back in the day.” The demon stated, rolling her eyes at Anya, shrugging as she removed the spell on the house. Spike frowned - the particular demon seemed familiar.
 
“Do I know you?” He squinted at her. She gasped, as if seeing a ghost.
 
“William…” It was nothing more then a whisper but everyone caught it. It clicked. That voice - it could only be - oh bloody hell! He stared at her in shock - how? Had she been a demon the entire time?
 
“You two know each other?!” Buffy demanded, an edge to her voice. Spike just stared at the woman - demon - he had to get that down.
 
“NO!” The demon name Halfrek - not Cecily - nearly shouted. Everyone stared at her, surprised by the outburst. She took a few deep breaths, calming down for the moment. “We must just remind each other of someone else.” She laughed nervously.
 
Spike swallowed. Hard. “Yeah.” He averted his gaze. “ `Course Cecily.” It felt like there was a frog in his throat.
 
“Halfrek!” Both Buffy and `Halfrek' chorused at the same time. Spike gave a small nod of acknowledgement. Xander frowned at the quietness of the usually energetic vampire.
 
“You alright man?” He clapped a hand on the Spike's shoulder, feeling a little weirded out. Spike was his rock. Now he seemed shaken - which in itself was weird. Spike was the kind of guy who would walk onto a stage stark naked and not bat an eye. He tried to steer him out the door but Spike wouldn't take his eyes off the vengeance demon.
 
Without warning, the demon's face shifted to that of a human's. Spike immediately sucked in a gust of wind and tensed under Xander's hand. The demon gazed at Spike for a moment.
 
“I've got to - go.” She didn't move, didn't take her eyes off of Spike. “Such a thing could never be, William.” Spike clenched his fist. Those were the same exact words she'd used to reject him all those years ago.
 
“Go' bye, Cecily.” They nodded at each other, and then Halfrek disappeared in a flash of smoke. There was silence. After a beat Anya piped up.
 
“Hey Spike, you two know each other?” She frowned. “You're not that human poet who fell in love with her, are you - because she told me about that and - Spike! Are you even listening?” Ignoring her, Spike turned to Xander.
 
“Walk me home mate?”
 
“Sure man.” Spike didn't seem to hear, instead brushing past him, lost in old memories.
 
***************************************************************** *******
I've had someone comment that the actress was the same but that there was never a confirmation that it was the same character - I'm sure it was. Halfrek goes “William”, Spike's face goes “Oh crap - hide”. It's blank obvious. Hey, click on the nice button that says `review' on your way out.
 
~*SS4EVA*~