Fan Fiction ❯ Suraj Hua Maddham ❯ Just a little drink... ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Suraj Hua Maddham

Sj 2002

Disclaimer: I own none of the characters in Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien does. The title means `The sun has dimmed'. `blah' is Elvish.

Synopsis: Frodo/Legolas slash! The title means `The sun has dimmed'. In Lorièn, Frodo drinks from a fountain near Galadriel's mirror, and the next day, he finds he's been turned into an Elf! Legolas helps him understand his powers and much more…

Chapter 1 "Just a little drink"

In the city of Lorièn

The Fellowship trudged wearily into the Elven City of Lorièn. Gandalf's end weighed heavily on their minds, but nevertheless, they entered the city of the Lady of the Wood. Frodo sighed and tugged at his torn cloak, one hand placed on Sting. Up ahead, he could hear Aragorn and Legolas speaking in Elvish. From what Frodo understood, it wasn't anything good. They never seemed to get good news anymore.

`Estel, how are you feeling?' Legolas asked, as they walked up the spiral staircase that wound around a tall tree.

Aragorn sighed. `Tired,' was all he said. `All that matters is that we fulfil our duty to protect the Ring bearer. His safety is our first priority.'

`You don't have to worry that much about me, Aragorn,' Frodo spoke up in Elvish, startling the Man and Elf.

`I did not know you spoke such good Elvish, Frodo,' Legolas said, causing Boromir and Gimli to raise their eyebrows.

`Surprise,' Frodo replied, smiling warily.

"Um, if you don't mind, can you speak in Common talk?" Pippin spoke up. "When the three of you begin to speak Elf-talk, it leaves the rest of us in the dark."

Frodo smiled. "Sorry, Pippin. Aragorn was just worried about me. I think after we talk with the Lady that we should get some rest before we go off again."

"I could sure use another breakfast," Merry said, as his stomach rumbled thunderously in agreement.

Sam raised an eyebrow. "With that stomach, are you sure you need it?"

Merry snorted. "Speak for yourself, Samwise Gamgee!"

"Enough of your bickering," Gimli muttered. "We need to talk to this Lady of Wood or light or whatever she is, don't we? Let's go already."

The arguments ceased, and the group of eight travellers went further up the staircase, to the very top, where they awaited Lady Galadriel. Soon she came down the stairs, along with Lord Celeborn. Sam was in awe. Rivendell had been amazing, but seeing Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn was simply breath taking. (They're so…beautiful,) Sam thought.

Lady Galadriel spoke to Frodo and asked him and Sam to come down later, as she wanted to talk to them. As the Fellowship broke apart to go to their rooms, Galadriel pulled Legolas aside. `Young Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood,' she began.

`Yes, milady?' Legolas responded.

`I see a definite change in your destiny,' Galadriel said distantly, gazing off into the night sky. `A star shines brightly in the north, and what leads to your destiny is not in a conventional form.'

Legolas' brows furrowed. `I am afraid I do not understand, milady.'

Galadriel merely smiled. `You will understand soon enough, Legolas. Soon enough you will see the light in my words. Now take my leave, Legolas, and rest your weary soul.' Legolas looked curiously at her, but nodded, going with one of Galadriel's maidens to his room.

By Galadriel's mirror

Frodo looked over at the large bowl like object placed on a pedestal. (I wonder what that does,) he wondered, fingering the material of his shirt. The hobbit fidgeted, running a hand through his wild brown hair. Sam had fallen asleep in the soft bed, and Frodo did not have the heart to wake him.

Sighing, Frodo got up from his seated position on a rock overlooking the bowl, and walked over to a small fountain. "I never realised how thirsty I was," Frodo murmured, leaning over the ledge and peering into the crystal clear water. Quickly, he looked over his shoulder to see if Galadriel was coming and spooned some of the crystalline water into his mouth with his hand, and swallowed contentedly. "By the Shire! This is the best water I've tasted!"

"Frodo Baggins," Galadriel spoke up, causing Frodo to yelp and jump a good five feet into the air. "I am sorry for scaring you like that."

When he caught his breath, Frodo responded, "no need to apologise, milady. You elves sure are light on your feet. I did not even hear you come down those steps."

Galadriel smiled. "Come, look through here. You will see your destiny." She gestured to the mirror, and asked Frodo to come and peer into it. When he did, Frodo saw a big, burning eye. One that seemed to come closer and closer to him, the heat around him increasing dramatically as it did so. Wailing voices of despair and horror swirled around him, all claming the Ring as their own. Frodo gasped and tried to pull away, but the scene changed. Instead of the flaming eye, Frodo now saw two figures, standing close together. There was a sense of comfort, of belonging…of love.

"What is this?" Frodo whispered, when the vision had finally vanished.

"This is your destiny," Galadriel repeated, walking over to Frodo. "I can see what the mirror shows, young hobbit. Your path is laden with pain and loss, a heavy burden on your shoulders…" Galadriel advanced, and Frodo's hand immediately went to the Ring, getting the feeling Galadriel was going for his Ring.

"Then why don't you take this Ring from me then?!" Frodo demanded, shoving the Ring into Galadriel's face. "You are an Elf, you can handle this burden far better than me, Lady Galadriel!"

Galadriel reached for the Ring, but drew back as if a poisonous snake bit her. "No! I cannot do this. The Ring is not for me to take, young hobbit. What would happen to the world if the Ring was in my hands…" She turned away from him. "I have passed the test…yes, I have…" She went on to talk in Elvish, far beyond the extent Frodo knew. Suddenly, a green aura surrounded her, and her feet left the ground, her eyes looking as if they were possessed. Frodo's eyes widened, and he scrambled to his feet, and ran as fast as his hobbit feet could carry him back to the room he shared with Sam, Merry and Pippin.

When Frodo reached the room occupied by the hobbits, he caught his breath, and eased in quietly. He threw off his vest and slipped into his bed, pulling the sheets close to him. (I don't know what's going on…the vision…these images that are being projected into my head by the Ring…Don't fuss over the matter anymore, Frodo, just shut your eyes and get some sleep. There's no way you can understand any of this if you don't get some good sleep.)

In the morning

Frodo yawned, and stretched out. He found immediately that there was a stiff pain in his limbs, and when he looked at the end of the bed, he found his legs to be hanging over the end board. (What the?) Frodo thought, as he leaned over and touched his feet. (They don't feel any different…what the-? What happened to the hair on my feet? There's nothing there! What is going on?)

Worriedly, Frodo jumped out of the bed, and ran out of the room, with surprising stealth. Quickly, he looked around for a mirror, and when he found one, he gasped. He had grown dramatically, his clothes ripping as they stretched to fit his new frame. Frodo's arms were longer as well, his skin incredibly smooth. (By the Gods! What has happened to me? Did I grow like a beanstalk during the night?)

Subconsciously, Frodo tucked a part of his hair behind his ear, and when he looked back into the mirror, his eyes widened and he gasped, stumbling back into the wall. His hand patted up the side of his head, feeling his ears.

They were pointy.

"By the Gods!" Frodo exclaimed. "What has happened to me?"

-TBC-

Author's notes: My goodness does that seem a little rushed. Well, I just wanted to get to that part as quickly as I could, since the majority of the story is based on Frodo's experiences as an Elf. What do you think? I know the scenes with Galadriel are not accurate, but it's been a while since I've read that part in the book. Please review and suggestions are welcome!