Fan Fiction ❯ Suraj Hua Maddham ❯ Elven History 101 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3 "Elven history 101."

Author's notes: 20 reviews, very sweet! One person asked me where I was going with this, and to be perfectly honest, I don't know. I am seriously making this up chapter by chapter. I have a plot, not to worry, but to get up to it is my problem. Um, to Lothlorien, how can I make this story not slash? It has slash written ALL over it! But not to worry, it's not NC-17 slash because I can't write that worth crap, and I like the sweet slashy stuff. But enough from me, here we go.

One more note: I've done a heck of a lot of research on Elves, and I hope I got it right. See if any of you hardcore fanatics can pick out the evidence of my research! ^_~ Character thoughts are in parenthesis.

* * *

The Fellowship stopped along the forest's bank, and set up camp for the night. Frodo thought his clothes from Lothlorièn were making him a beacon for trouble. But Legolas assured him that the cloak he, as well as the rest of the Fellowship wore would nullify the brightness of the silver/white tunic and tights [which looked to be the silver/white version of Legolas' outfit].

`Okay, Frodo, come over here with me,' Legolas instructed, leading the Elf Ring Bearer over to a small clearing. He pointed upward to the treetops, and pointed to Frodo. `I want you to climb that tree.'

Frodo's eyes widened. `But that tree! It's so…tall!' Even in Hobbiton, Frodo had not climbed trees that high. And since they were being pursued, Frodo didn't know if he could be as swift as Legolas in climbing up the tree.

`Elves can climb a tree like this lightning quick without making a sound. Now come,' Legolas instructed, jumping up into the tree, and climbing up the branches gracefully, leaving Frodo on the ground, gaping up at him. `Come on now, Frodo.'

The hobbit-turned-Elf looked up at where Legolas was now perched on one of the highest branches, and bit his lip. (I can do this. Sure it's fifty times the size of trees in the Shire, but I can do this,) Frodo convinced himself. He looked back subconsciously to where the rest of the Fellowship was, and noticed all of them were watching him. (Nothing like a bit of pressure…) Frodo took a deep breath, and launched himself at the tree. He focused on climbing up, and didn't look down. Surprisingly, he made it all the way up, and not once did a branch break, or did the branch creak under his weight. `I…I did it.'

Legolas smiled knowingly, as Frodo perched himself on the branch opposite of him. `See? It wasn't that hard now, was it? Elves have a second home in the trees. That is why Haldir and his men could sneak up on us so easily, without most of us knowing.' Frodo nodded, saying nothing, but began once again playing around with the ring on his finger. Legolas raised an eyebrow. `Is something bothering you, Frodo?'

Frodo looked up at him. `No, there's nothing, Legolas. I was just thinking about all that's happened, and what's happened to me now. It's been quite a ride.' Twist, twist, twist, twist, he played with the ring on his middle left hand finger. Frodo wasn't even aware he had been twisting the ring on his middle finger, but continued to do it as he talked. `I know most of what I do about Elves from Bilbo, and I never know then whether or not to trust him. With his tall tales to Gandalf of gaining the Ring, and all…'

The Prince listened to Frodo, but also inspected the ring that was being played with by Frodo's other hand. (Why does that ring so familiar?) Legolas wondered, hoping Frodo could move his hand for just one moment so he could get better look. He decided to just ask now. `Frodo, where did you get that ring on your finger?'

The dark haired Elf stopped abruptly, and stared at it. `In all honesty, Legolas, I don't know. It just appeared on my finger in the morning I found out I was an Elf. It holds no power that I can feel, but it does bear the resemblance of a great Elven ring that Bilbo used to tell me about. Here, take a look for yourself.' He held his hand out to Legolas.

Legolas took Frodo's hand; momentarily ignoring the small shock that went through his body and closely inspected the ring. `By the Gods!' Legolas exclaimed, nearly falling backwards and out of the tree.

`What? What is the matter, Legolas?' Frodo asked, putting a steadying hand on the Elf's shoulder. `You look as if you've seen a ghost!'

`I may have,' Legolas said breathlessly, taking Frodo's hand and peering at the ring again. `This ring…it's been talked about extensively in Elven history.'

Frodo's eyes widened, and looked down at the ring that was now being inspected by Legolas. `It has? Why do I have it then?'

Legolas exhaled sharply, but continued to inspect the ring. `This ring belonged to one of the greatest Elven warriors that ever lived: Fëanor, son of Finwë. He made three Silmarils; the most beautiful jewels ever created. Melkor, the first enemy of the Elves, lusted for them, and he spread lies throughout Noldor, setting them up against each other. Fortunately, his plans were revealed, but Melkor escaped. With the help of Ungoliant, the foremother of Shelob, the monster that resides in Mordor's black castle, he destroyed the two trees Laurelin and Telperion, and stole the Silmarils. Fëanor and his seven sons-Maedhros, Maglor, Celegorm, Caranthir, Curufin, Amrod and Amras-swore an unbreakable oath; saying that they should pursue all creatures that kept a Slimaril from them to the end of the world.

`He set out with most of Noldor, although some could not come. When coming to the Haven of Alqualondë, the Noldor did some of their worst deeds,' Legolas continued, a solemn expression on his beautiful face. `The Teleri, who were great ship makers, dwelt there, and refused both to lend and sell them their boats. The Noldor killed many, and stole the ships. For this, Mandos cursed them:

`Their oath shall drive them (to the house of Fëanor and their followers), and yet betray them, and ever snatch away the very treasure that they have sworn to pursue. To evil end shall things turn that begin well; and by treason to kin unto kin, and the fear of treason, shall this come to pass. The Dispossessed shall they be forever,' Legolas recited, still holding Frodo's hand. `They say the ring Fëanor wore gave him the strength to continue to pursue those who had stolen from him. Many had turned back, but most continued their quest. There were not enough boats for everyone, and Fëanor and his most trusted friends left the others, making the words of Mandos come true.

`In Middle-Earth, Orcs and other evil creatures grew strong and evil, went to war against King Thingol, but the Elves won, although many did die. About the same time, also Melkor's servants attacked the people of Fëanor, and even though they beat the enemy, Fëanor was killed. The ring that had kept him alive during most of his battles had been knocked off, leaving him extremely vulnerable. Where that ring was gone since that battle, many have come up with stories; although none of them plausible. Fëanor, the Elvish word for "Spirit of Fire",' Legolas finished, all the while, holding Frodo's hand.

Frodo stayed silent, taking all this new information in. `This ring…belonged to one of the greatest Elven warriors, and now it is on my finger? What does this mean?' he asked, staring into the shiny depths of the sapphire.

Legolas stayed silent for a moment, then spoke: `Elves believe themselves to be two parts: Fëa, the spirit, and Hroa, the body. These two parts are not bound to each other, but without Hroa, Fëa is powerless, and with no spirit, the body is dead and will soon dissolve,' he began slowly. `The life span of Elves is by nature, the same as the mother Earth. But the Elves call earth "Arda Sahta", the marred world. Within it's borders, nothing can be influenced by Melkor, and Elves and Men, who are made of Arda's matter, are all likely to suffer in some way.

`Thus, the Elvish Fëa tend to "consume" the Hroa, until all that is left is a vague shape and it is indeed indestructible. Elves may die of grief or wounds [But not by disease], and then the Fëa will leave the Hroa. The "houseless" Fëa will be summoned to the house of Mandos, and it may go there on its own free will,' Legolas paused, taking a deep breath.

Frodo wondered where the blond Elf was going with this, but dared not to question what Legolas was telling him. It seemed almost painful what Legolas was telling him, and put a hand on his shoulder. `You do not have to continue if you do not wish to, Legolas.'

Legolas shook his head. `I am fine, Frodo. I am almost done anyway. Most Fëa do this, but those whom Melkor has influenced are corrupt often dread the punishment they will receive at Mandos' hands, and stay in Middle-Earth, trying to take over some other Hroa that already contains a Fëa. Those who follow the summons may, if they wish, be incarnated into a new-born body, identical to the previous. The others stay in Mandos until the end of the world. For Elves are bound to the world, and cannot leave it. All Fëa, whatever they chose, must wait in Mandos for a time; how long it depends on the individual. If a Fëa has done evil in a previous life, it must wait long until allowed to return to life. But sometimes they have to stay for good. Fëanor, for instance, was never allowed to leave Mandos.'

`But if he was not allowed to leave Mandos, then how can I have his ring and his body?' Frodo asked, unable to keep quiet any longer. `I can feel myself in this ring, as if it was mine in a previous life, Legolas! What you say contradicts what has happened to me!'

Legolas grabbed Frodo's shoulders, and held him firmly. `But a hobbit drinking from Lady Galadriel's fountain and turning into an Elf that looks exactly like Fëanor, son of Finwë, is unheard of in Elven folklore!' he countered, looking square into Frodo's conflicted eyes. `Not to mention also bearing the ring of Fëanor that was thought to be lost forever is something that is very unfamiliar territory, most likely for even Lady Galadriel herself!'

Frodo's frustrations caused tears to spill from his eyes, and Legolas pulled the Elf into his embrace, patting him on the back. `It's too much,' Frodo whispered, his voice hoarse. `This is too much to take in all at once, Legolas.'

Legolas nodded, and wiped the tears from the Elf's eyes. `It must be. I am sorry for throwing all this information at you, Frodo. You could have stopped me at any time.'

`I wanted to know,' Frodo confessed. `No matter what happened, I wanted to know what had happened to me, and what I should do now that I am an Elf. I didn't want to stop you, for fear that I wouldn't get this kind of information again.'

The Prince looked sympathetically at the Elf. "Frodo-"

"Hey! Crazy Elves!" Gimli called, snapping the two Elves from their conversation. "We're going to be eating now! I've been calling you for a long time! Stay up there if you want to starve!"

"We are coming, Gimli," Legolas called back, a smile on his face. He turned to Frodo and nodded, and the two climbed carefully down the tree, to where the Fellowship was gathered around the fire. "I am sorry we didn't hear you. We were talking."

"We could see that," Aragorn said, a smile on his lips. "You were so deep in conversation you didn't hear Gimli's powerful voice. It must have been quite an interesting conversation."

Frodo smiled faintly and looked to Legolas. "It was definitely interesting, Aragorn. Maybe when I recover from it, I'll tell you."

Aragorn raised an eyebrow, but said nothing, ladling out the food into the small bowls that Samwise had provided to everyone. Pippin devoured the food and turned to Frodo, who had barely touched his food. "Has being turned into an Elf destroyed your appetite? Eat, Mr. Frodo, eat!"

"You're beginning to sound like Sam, Pip," Frodo said smiling, as he spooned some of the soup into his mouth. Pippin sputtered for a few moments, while the rest of the Fellowship ate their meal. (I am going to find out about this ring, and how come it has come to me after being with Fëanor, son of an Elven King…)

-TBC-

Author's notes: Whoo, does that look like a lot of reading! I worked on that research for a good portion of Monday, and did you know most of the Tolkien geeks' sites have broken links? It's a travesty I tell you! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and please review! I love getting feedback. If you have any suggestions, they're welcome, but NO FLAMES! See you on the flip side!