Fan Fiction ❯ Tears of Flame ❯ Fate Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A man waited anxiously outside the room, pacing the hard floor. His brow deep in worry then he lifted his head and listened. A faint sound rang in the air and grew louder. A cry, the cry of a newborn child. He waited for what seemed hours until he was finally aloud inside by the nurse who had a look of utter dislike, she left promptly. Terran walked as quietly as he could into the room, closing the door behind him.

There on a neatly made bed, lay his wife, Faunte cradling in her arms blanketed her son, their son. She was a small woman and they had been against this child being born, her bright curly red hair fell around her face, and her bright green eyes glittered with awe looking down at the small child in her arms. He had stopped crying for now. She hushed him, his unfocused aquamarine eyes were brighter than humans, yet they were dim.

She smiled down at the child as he rested contently, and then she glanced up to Terran. Terran was a tall man, he had auburn straight hair, and light blue eyes. They burned fiercely with love for this little one and his wife.

"Is it alright?" he asked softly motioning to the child, that slept contently in his mother's arms.

"It's a he, and what fire he has." She said gently, her voice was soft barely above a whisper.

Terran thought for a moment, the silence settled and then he broke it. "Aiden." He spoke the name quietly.

"Aiden?" she asked. "Yes…" she paused. "my little flame…" she said kissing his brow.

Suddenly the scuffle of hard boots against the floor echoed coming up the stairs. They seemed to be angry and indeed they were. A sharp rap came on the door. Then they were met by a tall man, he had black hair and brown eyes, he was dressed in a uniform. "You have had your child! Now get out before I report you both!" he said a look of disdain in his features.

Both Terran and Faunte looked at the man in utter shock, the child was only a few hours old. Terran was a soldier in the M.O.U, third in ranking. But now that the war was over, it seemed there was no place for soldiers any longer in this world, much any of his race. Terran nodded his lips drawn thin. "Yes sir." He said as he had so many times before.

The man nodded in acknowledgement, "number 86, sixth unit, third in ranking, report tomorrow at 0600 hours." He said curtly and then he turned and walked out of the room.

He helped his wife and their child to their home. They had been watched, for fear of their race. It terrified humans that his race had capabilities far beyond theirs. There were hundreds of his kind in the world, but only to be soldiers and nothing more. Though the race now had a name and had christened themselves "Feailies" the world seemed to reject them. Despise them. Shuddering at their own creation. For it was the humans who resurrected them.

Terran shook his head after his wife and Aiden were settled down in their small house. Aiden was their only child, despite the other 3 that had been orphans they all were half breeds. At the moment they stayed within a different town. The MOU demanded that Terran be in the town but he did not know why.

~~~~~~~

The next morning he awoke strapping on his sword to his back and dressing in his neat uniform, reported for duty, standing perfectly straight and tall as he had been taught. His expression was grim, he disliked leaving his family alone. As a general marched down the line he stopped in front of Terran. Terran put his hand up to his forehead. "Sir!"

"At ease." Said the General, his name was Camon. Terran put his hand back by his side.

The general nodded out of disdain and then continued on. He was a sturdy man with a slight graying beard, and his peppered hair that should have been blonde. His blue eyes were glistening with discontent at these soldiers. They seemed to be only playthings to him, built to fight and they knew nothing more.

He came to the middle of the line and stood. "Soldiers! This is a mission sent from home base, we are to report to Awon and destroy a hoard of rebels there. We will have to use a show of force than they. I expect you all will do well. That is all!" he dismissed them.

"Sir, yes sir!" came the chorus from all the men.

"But," one soldier said suddenly, "We all know that Awon is heavily guarded! Even with our military power we'll be outnumbered!"

The general turned his eyes darting down the row to find a black haired young soldier. He walked swiftly down the line his boots pressing hard into the soft earth. "Did I ask you if you wanted to go?" Camon's lips were drawn into a thin line.

"N-n-no sir." The soldier stuttered. He chewed his lip.

"Then I suggest you take your orders now, and learn to control your emotions boy!" said the General turning promptly away.

What? They were going to Awon? This made no sense to Terran, this seemed like an attempt to commit a massacre, not a mission. Awon held rebels who were against an alliance made with the Feailies, they had built massive weapons, capable of sending a Feailies to the ground in seconds. He didn't think he would survive this.

~~~~~~

A few days later, at the infantry camp the survivers of the battle lay in medical facilities. Terran was among the one hundred survivers of the 1,000 sent out. He was lucky to be alive. They had forced him to exceed his limits in battle and thus he had fallen on the battle field.

He opened his eyes slowly. Where was he? He tried to sit up but a wrenching pain was in his side. That was right, he had been hit. The arso would work quickly to heal it, but not swiftly enough it seemed. He lay back down on the uncomfortable makeshift bed. He had survived.

~~~~~

Terran would never be the same after that, that battle had taken all it had in him, and it was not enough. The wound in his side healed but his Arso count remained high and in turn, caused him to grow short of breath constantly, he would never fight again. He knew that battle had been an attempt to wipe out the soldiers of the third unit.

He settled down in the town of Naeron, where his last service had been. The children had been transported there and they seemed to regain what a normal life should be. They did not run low on money, the MOU had at least provided them with that, even with reluctance. The four children grew older, Aiden's hair was bright red, just like his mothers, but his facial features were more like Terrans.

Terran had been against her having Aiden, the process was hard, simply because of the fact that the majority of their race was clones. There was no telling the effects that could happen to him. But by all means they never regretted their child, he was a sweet and quiet little boy, although he acted as a typical child would. He grew quickly to his first year. Then his second.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Aiden was a tall little boy for being only 3 years of age, but he was intelligent. His eyes were always glittering brightly, like two aquamarine stones refracted the calm waves on the sea. At the moment Aiden's face was twisted into a scowl.

"Why can't I hold it momma?" he demanded his eyes burning with anger, he had asked Merian nicely. His sister should have been willing to let him see her new pet. It was a small rabbit, she cuddled it close to her not allowing Aiden to even pet it.

"It's her pet, Aiden," Faunte replied simply. She was too tired to deal with them all.

"But I asked!" he said his voice rising, Faunte made no reply even when Aiden burst into tears and hit the floor.

Merian left the room and Aiden watched as he stopped crying, biting his lower lip. He wasn't going to let her get away with this. He ran after her and ran right into his father's leg as he stood in the doorway.

"Aiden…" he said in a warning tone. "What have I told you?" he asked.

Aiden looked down at his feet rubbing one boot into the floor. "Never to hit girls." He said quietly. His punishment was training, he hated it badly…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Aiden's father began to train him at a young age. Terran taught him how to use his arso, master it with his strongest emotion, and manipulate it to the form he saw it fit to be. He disliked the training, even more he hated this cruel and unusal punishment, for he got into trouble quite often. Terran had taught Aiden to show no emotion when he fought, but refused to give Aiden a real sword.

It was no wonder why, the child was only 4 now, but still a very strong willed one. He had been taught to stay silent, never to show what he felt. His father felt someday he would have to fight. He did not hold Aiden back, training him with a wooden sword carved down to his size, he learnt quickly.

He spent hours practicing and even some other soldiers who had worked with his father were stunned.

"That boy will be a perfect soldier one day." One had commented. Terran did not doubt it.

Many nights soldiers would come over to simply talk, or to play small games. They did not drink ale, nor wine, it seemed to have little effect if none at all on them. Still something told Faunte that his friends were untrustworthy and it was only a matter of time before the dam broke and all was done.

She insisted on Terran telling them to stop their frequent visits, but he refused. These men had fought side by side with him, known the pains of battle, the aftermath of the war. But it was to prove to be Terran's undoing….