Fan Fiction ❯ Terror High ❯ The story ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Danica Jenson opened the door and smiled when she saw the scared look on each and every grade 7's face. She was going to enjoy this.
 
“Ever since the school opened…there have been - incidents happening from time to time around the school,” Danica said coolly.
 
The group of grade 7's shivered.
 
“All of these incidents have also happened to the freshman population,” Dani said.
 
A girl stood up quickly, her hands clenched on the table. She looked up and her black ponytails bounced lightly. “B - but…” she stammered, “there's no - proof of this…right?”
 
The third grade 11 stood up and smiled. “Actually,” he replied, “there is one piece of evidence that proves our theory…”
 
The girl sat down again, shivering. Her eyes looked glazed and she pulled herself closer to the table.
 
“Yes…” Danica said, “It was 9 years ago…A grade 8 girl, Melissa, had some - problems…She attempted suicide on the second-floor balcony…but, something happened…”
 
The class shivered again and a girl with short, blonde hair looked up at the grade 11's, perplexed.
 
“As she was falling, she…disappeared - into thin air…”
 
The adolescents shivered again and the girl with the black ponytails put her head down. She looked like she was going to cry.
 
This time a girl with short black hair stood up. The three grade 11's looked at her and she stared at them for a moment but then sat down quickly. Danica started talking again.
 
“We never really believed all of the cover-up stories that we've heard over the years. The incidents were too weird themselves to be only accidents…” She paused briefly, enjoying her effect on the grade 7's. “But, the incident with the girl is the only one that had the teachers worried…Until then, they were able to cover up the weird stories circulating around the school…What's even more creepy though, is that the next day, the girl's best friend went missing and was presumed dead.”
 
A girl with short chestnut-brown hair shivered violently and fell off of her chair. The class laughed nervously and she silently slid back into her seat.
 
The older students looked impatiently at the young teenagers and the class went quiet once more.
 
“Good…” Danica said, her voice more firm than it was before. “See you all next September…” She and her two comrades left the room hurriedly, leaving the students to talk about the strange but perplexing story.
 
“Do you think it's true?“
 
“No, can't be…”
 
“You sure?”
 
“Uhh…”
 
The girl with the blonde hair stood up, annoyed at the endless chatter. She silently slipped out of the room. Closing the door quietly she swivelled around and bumped into a grade 8 boy with curly brown hair and braces. She blushed and he helped her up.
 
“H - hi…” she said, “s - sorry about that…uhh…”
 
“No problem…” he smiled, pointing at the door. “You're a grade 7 student who's just heard about the `freshman curse,' right?”
 
“Uhh…yeah…” she laughed awkwardly.
 
“Don't worry about it; it's just the grade 11's way of harassing the younger students.”
 
The boy waved goodbye and continued down the hallway. “See you next year then!”
 
He smiled and the girl blushed again, dying of embarrassment.
 
**
 
It was the first day of high school.
 
Chloe Martin was hyped. She certainly didn't look it, slouched down in her desk at the front of her homeroom, but she was. Her fingers twirled impatiently through her black curls - she wanted to see her timetable, get the map (that she so desperately needed) and most importantly, get her locker combo. Little things, yes, but hey, come on - she was in high school, and she would enjoy it while she could.
 
She was the complete opposite of Rory Winston, who was half asleep just behind her. His head was down on the desk, green eyes dull behind a curtain of dark brown bangs. He exhaled loudly, lazily, wishing the next five years could just go by quickly. They said these were "the best times of your lives" but Rory didn't buy it for a second.
 
As the principal, Mr. Evan Campbell, continued talking (they had the luck to be in his homeroom), Chase Warner stared out the window at the bright sunny day outside. Her chestnut-brown, semi-straight hair fell in her face, and she brushed it away for the millionth time, fixated on the flight of the bird traveling in the cloudless blue sky. She almost wished she was up there, flying with it...and then her rational mind began counting off all the reasons she wouldn't fly and wouldn't want to be in the air for so long. There were a lot of reasons, she thought.
 
"I'm sure you all have heard the story of the freshman curse here at McMath," Mr. Campbell began.
 
At once, two sets of eyes lit up. One belonged to Ella Street, a blond girl with pigtails sitting in the back of the class. She had been genuinely scared by the now-grade 12's retelling of the freshman curse. The story was an interesting one, though, and it seemed to be true.
 
That was why Aaron Preston was reading the principal's lips from the homeroom across the hall. He knew that something was going on around the school, but he was clueless as to what. He also knew that every teacher discredited the freshman curse in the first homeroom of high school for the grade eights. In his first year at McMath, five incidents had occurred at random points throughout the year. Nobody knew why, and it was a cause for worry. Out of those five incidents, three of them had been disappearances, and none of the three missing students had turned up. That was enough to get his interest.
 
"The freshman curse is nothing but nonsense," Mr. Campbell said. "I personally know that every incident from the past few years has been just accidents. People running away, people hurting themselves...that's all it is."
 
"But Mr. Campbell, wasn't there one incident that wasn't explained?" Chase was happy to find a loophole in his story. "A suicide, I believe..."
 
Mr. Campbell waved it off. "A mere prank."
 
Chase knew he was lying, as did everyone else in the class.
 
As Mr. Campbell continued to explain why there was no freshman curse, in the back of the room, a slight boy watched the scene with incredibly piercing brown eyes. He knew something was up. From the second he'd walked into the school, he'd felt something out of place, and the feeling had only grown stronger since homeroom had began.
 
The question was, what?
 
The homeroom ended shortly after Mr. Campbell's speech. Chase, Rory, Chloe and Ella walked their separate ways without as much as a passing glance. They were strangers in their own homerooms. The slight boy followed, brown eyes searching the halls around him, his actions making him look like a lost little boy. Nobody paid attention to him.
 
Aaron's homeroom ended shortly after the principal's, and he hurried to the bike racks to head home.
 
The first day of school was over.
 
Only 185 more to go.