Fan Fiction ❯ Terror High ❯ Aaron's true feelings... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was a chilly October day, just like any other at first glance. Students walked to classes lazily, caught up on homework during breaks...it looked like a typical school day.
 
If you looked closely, though, you'd notice a surprising number of Japanese students. Most of them were from Japan, here as exchange students. They'd be around for a week before going back home.
 
One of them was staying at the home of Medina Zhou, and she wasn't happy about it. Medina had to pick up after the spoiled girl all the time, and she did enough cleaning as it was. She was desperately hoping for something bad to happen to her, but so far nothing.
 
Chloe had been listening to Medina complain for a while, but she was getting bored of it. Chloe was preoccupied. The freshman curse, although it wasn't really a freshman curse now, was the only thing in her mind. It seemed to hit people who had made somebody mad. Well...that was what Damian had said. But he hadn't said who, and Chloe was beginning to wonder if Damian was behind the freshman curse. Logically, he couldn't be, but he obviously knew more than he was saying.
 
Medina looked at Chloe strangely. "Are you listening?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"It's so unfair! Akira like, never helps out at all!"
 
"You've mentioned that. Multiple times," Chloe said.
 
"Sorry, but I'm pissed!"
 
Medina launched into a torrent of complaints, and Chloe tuned out. She glanced out the window into the hallway, only half-paying attention.
 
Then she perked up.
 
What is the principal doing here?
 
Chloe remembered the black cloud in the hall, the blood on Evan Campbell's shoes, and she realized that she had to keep Medina away from the principal at all costs.
 
Too late. He had entered the classroom, and Medina had already started spilling her complaints to the principal. She didn't particularly like Akira, and Chloe doubted she ever would.
 
While Mr. Campbell looked normal, Chloe could see the suspicious gleam in his eye. It was as if he had something planned, and she knew that it wasn't a good sign.
 
Mr. Campbell went up to talk to their science teacher, and Chloe pulled Medina to the side.
 
“You idiot!” Chloe said.

“What?”
 
“Mr. Campbell - just trust me when I tell you not to mess with him. Or talk to him. Or generally be around him. Got it?”
 
Medina looked confused. “Why?”
 
Chloe sighed. “Medina. Just trust me.”
 
The other girl groaned. “Fine.”
 
“And watch your back,” Chloe added impulsively. “It's October. It's almost Halloween. Who knows what stupid pranks someone will think up?”
 
While Medina nodded, saying she would, it was easy to tell that she didn't believe a word of what Chloe said.
 
Chloe just had to hope that she at least listened for once.
 
**
 
Ella and Chase walked swiftly down the hallway, heading for their ASK class. Chase checked her watch. We're three minutes late… The girls sped up and slid into their seats.
 
The teacher didn't seem to notice. She didn't seem to notice anything.
 
But there was a look of unmistakable fear in her eyes.
 
Medina was the only other person at their table, but she was too busy cooking at their station to notice anything strange about their teacher…
 
Ella looked around and moved closer to Chase.
 
“Did you see the teacher?”
 
“Yeah…” Chase said slowly, looking back at the fearful teacher.
 
“Something's going on… why does she look so scared?”
 
There was a picture of Aiden Sarnecki on the teacher's desk.
 
She was his mother.
 
Ella lowered her voice even more. “Do you think that she had something to do with his disappearance?”
 
“Well… I heard they had a fight or something… but that's just a rumor…”
 
The principal watched the two girls closely. He had to eliminate them before they could figure it all out…
 
He had to —
 
Suddenly, every window in the school smashed to pieces. At the same time.
 
Ella screamed and fell off of her chair. Chase was startled by Ella's crash and stood up quickly, hitting Ella in the ribs with her chair. There was a small crack. Chase screamed. The heavy chair tipped and hit Ella in the head. Now Chase was on her own.
 
Mrs. Sarnecki stood up slowly, her mind slipping away from her. All she had to do was do what she'd been ordered to. Kill them.
 
She grabbed a knife from her cooking tray and walked over to the girls.
 
Chase screamed when she saw the teacher coming over to her and Ella.
 
Chase tried waking Ella, but it was no use. Ella had been hit really hard.
 
The teacher took the knife and stabbed…
 
Upstairs, Chloe screamed when the glass shattered all over Rory and her desk. They were seated right by the window and got cut up pretty severely. Mrs. Nishi tried to calm the class. Her tries were futile. No one could stop the running and screaming.
 
Chloe covered her hand with a piece of paper, ignoring the sting. Right before the windows had shattered, she had seen a figure in the doorway.
 
A figure with red, bloodshot eyes.
 
Aaron nodded lazily in the heat of his humanities class. Mme Groom had bored the entire class 5 minutes ago. Now, everyone was, like Aaron, barely awake.
 
When the glass shattered, everyone was awoken from the daze. Aaron stood up quickly and slid out of the classroom.
 
No one noticed him leave.
 
Except for the principal.
 
Aaron ran swiftly down the C-wing hallway and pushed open the Science room door. Chloe ran up to him, with Rory close behind.
 
“Are you guys okay?” Aaron said quickly, looking at their bleeding palms.
 
“We'll be fine…” Chloe said quickly. “Where's Ella and Chase?”
 
They all froze. Ella and Chase had cooking that block. What if they had gotten hurt?
 
Aaron grabbed Chloe's hand and she grabbed Rory's hand. They all ran quickly down the stairs.
 
There was no screaming coming from the class. There was no sign of life at all.
 
All of the students ran out of the classroom moments ago. Leaving three students and the teacher, Mrs. Sarnecki.
 
Chase looked relieved when she saw the group enter the room. She stood up quickly and pointed to Ella and Medina sprawled on the ground. Ella was unconscious, and it seemed like Medina was paralyzed.
 
And she had good reason to be scared. The teacher was about to stab Medina.
 
Mrs. Sarnecki first grazed Ella's arm, cutting a long wound in it. She then went for Medina.
 
Come on, Ella, move… Aaron thought desperately.
 
Ella was still knocked out.
 
Just as the teacher was about to stab Medina, Rory and Aaron ran over and grabbed the knife from the teacher's hands.
 
Then Rory found out that Aaron had grabbed the blade.
 
Aaron squirmed but kept a firm hold on the knife. Blood dripped down the handle and onto the teacher's hands.
 
The teacher looked down and screamed when she saw the blood.
 
She then passed out.
 
Aaron, Rory, Medina and Chloe sighed with relief. Chase sighed right after them and they rolled their eyes. Chase had been hiding in a broom closet the entire time.
 
Aaron looked down at Ella. She had cracked a couple of ribs and her arm was smeared with blood. She had been lucky.
 
Except, even when each of the group tried to wake her, she wouldn't even stir.
 
Aaron tried for the third time to wake her and she still wouldn't move. She was still breathing, but she wouldn't wake up…
 
Chase stifled a whimper and Chloe hung her head. What if Ella didn't ever wake up?
 
Rory sighed and looked back at Aaron. He was taking this the worst.
 
“The teacher… had been after Medina… how come Ella has to get hurt then?” Aaron said quietly, looking at the ground.
 
He hid his face and looked back at Ella.
 
The group was quiet until Aaron picked Ella up and pulled her close to him.
 
“AARON!” the group yelled, but when they saw sincere sadness in his eyes, they went silent once more.
 
Ella stopped breathing and Aaron laid her back down slowly.
 
It was over. She was-
 
Rory walked over and placed Ella's head slowly on his lap.
 
He then put his lips on hers and breathed in.
 
The third time, (after Aaron had practically died watching this), Ella coughed.
 
She opened her eyes and screamed.
 
Ella stood up quickly but then fell over and Aaron caught her this time.
 
She screamed again and stood up slowly, but then running over to Chase and hiding behind her. (Ella gets a little shy from time to time.)
 
Chloe coughed when she saw the principal enter the room. Everyone turned around and Ella stayed hidden behind Chase.
 
“What's going on here?” the principal asked, looking at the group.
 
“Nothing…” they all said quickly, Aaron and Rory moved over a bit to hide the teacher's unconscious body…
 
“Then get outside with the rest of your class,” he said skeptically, looking at Medina with a deep hatred and loathing.
 
Everyone left as fast as they could… before the principal could see the state their teacher was in…
 
**
 
October, as Chloe had said to Medina, was a month to watch out for. It snuck up on you like the trickster it was, and played tricks on you, jinxed you. An October with a Friday the 13th is never a good October.
 
Fortunately, this wasn't one of those Octobers.
 
But it was still October.
 
And this October would start with a bang, that was for sure.
 
Jack Lee was a grade nine student at McMath who had a history of suicidal behaviour. Everyone knew it. And with his need for attention, they knew if he ever tried to commit suicide, he would make it big. Drastic.
 
He'd been planning it for months, but he wasn't sure if he could do it. It was big. It was different.
 
It was lethal. Deadly. He would die, and he knew it.
 
But that was what he wanted, right?
 
Even he wasn't sure. Even now, even with his plan in place. In action.
 
Jack stood on the edge of the ledge, ready to jump. He glanced down into the rotunda, watching and listening to the people below him. Everyone thought he wouldn't do it.
 
I'll show them, he thought. I climbed the freaking walls to get here. Of course I'll jump.
 
"Jack! Get down!" came a voice.
 
"I'm coming!" he called.
 
And then he jumped.
 
He heard screams. Yells. He saw the floor coming up to meet him, and he wondered if he was doing the right thing.
 
He felt pain.
 
Then he realized. I shouldn't feel pain. I should be unconscious. I should be dead.
 
I'm alive.
 
"Jack!" A counselor was at his side, but he couldn't remember her name. "Are you okay?"
 
"Um..." He could speak; feel...he moved his fingers and his toes, testing. "Yeah...I'm fine..."
 
He knew that something was wrong. He hadn't felt anything other than the landing.
 
And he wasn't dead.
 
He saw people talking, pointing at him, and he realized that he had just jumped from the top of the rotunda and come out unscathed.
 
But how?