Fan Fiction ❯ The Child's Blood ❯ A Sight for Silent Eyes ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Sight for Silent Eyes

The apple was starting to brown when I awoke, shaking. I had seen her before, this woman. She was always alone and always wore the same white dress. It reached mid thigh and0 made with some silky material like satin that fell in folds around her legs. It had a low cut neck-line and thin straps that held it up. Around the bottom of the dress and the v-line of the neck there was a line of lace, about 2 inches think. Her hair was about as long as mine, down to the hips and her eyes! She had the passionate eyes of a forlorn and forgotten child. They seemed to cry `Help! Help me! Don't leave me here alone!' There was hate in those eyes too. Such hatred, like someone whose life had been destroyed and sought revenge on all who looked upon her. Those eyes sent a shiver through me when even I thought of them.

I got up and stretched, looking over my shoulder to see the clock. 6:54! Almost 3 and a half hours since I had arrived home. I sat down at the computer and saw that Villain was online. I always called him by his alias. I think he liked it better then Adamar, and so did I. I told him about the dream; not that he was any help. I suppose that he couldn't do anything but still! I shuddered with anger. Useless bastard.

I climbed the stair reluctantly to get some food. I saw Janice when I opened the door which separated me from the rest of the family.

"Hello sweetie," she said "is there something you'd like?"

I contemplated ignoring her but I knew that I couldn't ignore her forever.

"I'm getting my dinner." I said in a tone of voice which would usually be accompanied by a glare. Today, however, I just couldn't be bothered.

I reached the fridge and took out a frozen chicken, McCain fries and frozen baby carrots and shoved them in the oven before slumping on the kitchen table. I always seemed to be tired. I had spent more hours asleep then awake in the last month. I guessed it was that I couldn't bare the fact the reality could suck this much.

When I had eaten my meager meal I retreated to the crypt. Janice had tried to talk to me throughout the whole time I was in her presence. I kept my answers short and simple.

"How was school?"

"Fine."

"Are you fitting in ok?"

"Yes." I am a very good liar.

"Made any friends yet?"

"People don't make friends in a day, Janice." I added mentally to myself, `especially if they only attend one class with people who think you're a freak, though that was intended, and the bastards seem to like reality.'

"I'm going to bed." I said as I retreated to my hole.

Downstairs was exactly the way I like it: warm with the glow of the setting sun but no sunrays of light came through the filter curtains on the windows. I lay on my bed and drifted into sleep. That was the only place where the world seemed to make sense to me.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /

The world was black. It looked like the night sky devoid of the moon and stars. I blinked. I could feel the ground but I couldn't see it. Even though, I knew I wasn't blind. It was invisible. That or it was the same colour as the blackness that surrounded me with nothing standing between me and the emptiness of the whole world. Then, from about a hundred years a light could be seen. It was small at first, and then it began to grow. It grew taller and bigger until it was the size of a human person. Then it moved towards me. Closer and closer until I could see who it was.

The woman was there again. Standing this time and she was different too. She wore a dress similar to the one that had been there before but it was black now and longer at the back. Her hair too was different too. It was shorter and a light blond colour. So light, in fact, that it was almost white and seemed to glow, as did her skin. Her eyes were the same though. The same blue with the cold forlorn which I had felt, and did feel, from the very depths of my soul. She was only about a meter away from me but she hadn't taken a single step. She held her hand out to me.

"Come," she said, "Come with me, child." She had a strangely high pitched voice; almost child-like and it had an eerie ring to it

I reached out my hand nervously and as soon as I touched it the world began to spin. I couldn't see. All I could feel was her hand. It was cold; deathly cold.

Then I could see again. The scene had changed to the air. I could feel the ground anymore and as soon as I realized where I was, I began to fall.

"Help!" I called to her. "Help me!"

She smiled. "Fly," she said in the same child-like voice, "Open your wings and fly, sister."

I didn't understand. Why was I falling? Why wasn't she? I reached out to her.

"Help," I croaked, "help." I seemed to be losing energy as I lost height. Looking down I could see the ground rushing up to me, faster and faster, and the woman was getting smaller by the second.

`No no no. This is all wrong. I don't want to fall. I don't want to die. I won't die like this!'

//so don't.//

`What?'

//don't fall.//

It was that woman again. It was her voice in my hear

`What do you mean *don't fall?* I am falling dammit and I'm going to hit the ground and die!'

//well if you don't want to die, fly.//

As she said `fly' I suddenly felt a shearing pain in my upper back; like something big in a place far, far too small. I screamed but I couldn't hear it for the roar of the air hurtling past my ears. Then I could feel something soft against my back. It felt like…feathers. I seemed to be slowing down too. I could feel the air catching on something that was coming from where the pain had been in my back. I shifted my shoulder blades experimentally and found that I did not only move my shoulder blades, but the wings that were attached them. I flapped them and found that I had stopped falling now; only a few hundred feet from the ground. I saw her, miles above of me, still standing and looking down at me. Then she dived. Bright white wings spilled out of her back as she glided towards me. She stopped when she was about a meter away from me. She cupped her hand under my jaw and turned my head up to look at her.

//You have forgotten everything//

Again the childlike voice. But even as I heard the words I registered that her mouth had not moved. I didn't know what to say to this comment. I didn't know what I had forgotten. It wasn't even a question. It was as if she knew something. She stroked my black hair, which was coming out of its braid. I could feel her cold hand again.

"But you will." She actually spoke this time, "you will remember everything, my sister."

She embraced me then. I floated there with my wings beating as we slowly descended with my head on her shoulder. When we touched the bottom I looked around. We were at the top of a large cliff made of what seemed to be a stone that shifted colour. Certain areas would be blue, and then they would fade to green or pink, back to blue, then a bloody crimson, and then green again. Not all the stone was the same colour. The colours would fade into one another; blend or intertwine to become a colour never seen by the human eye. I saw myself for the first time too. I looked at my clothes, which I thought had been a black skirt and purple tank top that I was wearing when I had gone to sleep. However, I was wearing a white, thin strap dress with lace at the bottom and on the V neck which covered the chest area of the dress. I remembered where I had seen this dress. It was identical to the black dress on the woman in front of me, but the same length instead of the black dress which was longer at the back.

I moved my right wing and looked around as far as I could to see it. Where the woman's wings were a bright and glowing white, mine were a dark and malevolent black.

"You will get used to them," her voice startled me for a moment; "they are yours now."

"What do you mean `they are mine'? What is all this?"

She didn't answer, but held be at arms length and looked over me.

"Remember this, if nothing else, your anewe will always be with you. You are a true sight for my silent eyes" And she leaned forwards and kissed me on both cheeks. I was stunned. I wanted to ask her everything; who she was and why she was here. I think she knew this for she turned then and walked away. The colour in the stones underneath us began to fade. They became darker and darker, as did the sky, was the woman walked away from me. I called out to her, tried to run, but I seemed to be running through water with a strong current that was pulling me back. She moved away and slowly faded into the dark.

Anewe is pronounced "a-nay-way" and is a Japanese term.