Fan Fiction ❯ The Curse Of Anubis ❯ The Curse Of Anubis ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Curse of Anubis
 
The sky was painted of golds and pinks as the sun peaked up from the horizon. The air was thick with slumber and dripping with moisture.
 
“Perfect…. Just perfect…”
 
On a hill overlooking the small town, a young woman stood watching the sunrise. Her raven black hair blew in contrast to the brightening sky as her golden eyes tear from the skyline and back to the stable in the back of her house.
 
Her eyes met something golden coming her way. She walked over to her golden dragon. It trilled happily as she pet it.
 
“Good morning, Kha,” she said with a smile.
 
Kha trilled and nuzzled the female, quickly trying to get her on his back.
 
The female chuckled and hopped up on the dragon's back. Before she took off, she turned back to the house.
 
“I'm off, Mom!”
 
“Take care, Skye!”
 
Skye and Kha took off in a flash, Kha's golden color easily blending in with the daybreak color of the sky.
 
“I love this time of day, don't you Kha?” Skye said, petting the dragon as she took in a deep breath.
 
Kha trilled happily in reply, his eyes closed as well.
 
Skye shot her eyes open; she heard engines! “Oh shit!” she said and maneuvered Kha out of the way of an international airplane just in time.
 
“Whew, that was close,” she sighed; but something caught her eye.
 
She looked at the plane and saw one window open. Her golden eyes locked with two deep green eyes, but it only lasted a second due to the speed of the plane and Kha.
 
“That was creepy….” she said; Kha trilled in agreement.
 
Hours later, Skye was in school. She sat at her desk, doodling in her notebook as the teacher was late yet again.
 
Just as she was finishing the doodle of Kha, the teacher walked into the room, a new student behind him.
 
“At least he has a reason this time,” one of the students mumbled.
 
“I heard that you little rat!” the teacher shouted at the student.
 
The student glared but stayed silent, his look wishing the new kid good luck.
 
“Class, this is Seth Granger. His family just returned from Egypt.” The teacher turned to Seth. “You can take a seat next to the native Egyptian of the class,” he said, his voice dripping with disdain as he pointed to Skye.
 
Seth glared at him but took his seat next to Skye. He glanced over and saw her detailed sketch of a dragon on the side of her notes.
 
“So, that was you,” he whispered.
 
Skye froze at his words and looked at him with wide eyes, her eyes meeting with his deep green ones.
 
“You…” she mumbled.
 
“Miss Taylor, do you have something to share with the class, you little terrorist?” the teacher spoke, his voice dripping with venom.
 
“No, sir,” she said, glaring at her notebook; the urge to beat the sense into her so-called teacher was becoming overwhelming.
 
Seth glared at the teacher; this freak was a racist and if there was one thing he couldn't stand, it was a racist; especially if they didn't know the culture.
 
“Who the hell do you think you are!?” Seth shouted, rising from his seat.
 
“Mr. Granger! Sit down!” the teacher shouted back.
 
“Like hell! I won't sit here and let you ridicule someone based on their culture!”
 
“Sit down, Mr. Granger! I teach World Politics! I think I know more than you do!”
 
“Not about Egypt! I've spent most of my life there and they have a rich culture and they are certainly not terrorists! You can't judge a culture based on a few individuals!!!”
 
The teacher and Seth then got into a glaring contest which Seth eventually won due to the principle hearing the conversation.
 
The rest of the day was free, for that class at least; their teacher had gotten he boot for his racist comments.
 
Skye offered to show Seth around town since he was new; and it was the least she could do for shutting up that jerk of a teacher.
 
Ever since they left the school, Seth had been smirking, his arms folded behind his head. “That jerk got what he deserved,” he said proud of himself.
 
“He deserved worse than that, but it'll suffice,” she mumbled.
 
“He must've really ticked you off,” he said, noticing Skye's upset face.
 
“I wanted to kill him. Does that say enough?”
 
Seth chuckled, “Yeah, it does. But don't sweat it. Not too many people are like that.”
 
“Praise Ra for that.”
 
Seth smiled. “Speaking of Ra, what was with this morning?”
 
Sky froze in her steps and stared at Seth. “Wh-What are you talking about?”
 
Seth smirked. “Don't play dumb. We both know you were flying a dragon and almost crashed into my plane.”
 
Skye looked away, blushing slightly from embarrassment.
 
“Was he a gift from Ra or something?” he asked. He really wanted to know where that dragon came from.
 
“Something like that,” she said quietly.
 
“I'd love to see him!” he said with a smile.
 
Skye sighed. “I just met you. You really think I'd trust you so easily?”
 
He smirked. “You don't have a choice. Either show me or I go public,” he said, holding up a camera.
 
Seeing Kha was only one of the things Seth got out of that little snapshot. He had Skye do all his homework, do all his chores, take him for rides on Kha, deal with his parents' pop quizzes on Egypt and a lot of other petty things.
 
This went on for weeks and Skye was getting tired of it. She barely had any time for herself or for her family. Her family had been broken since her father died protecting the pharaoh's tomb from robbers and this was only making it worse.
 
She decided to take action. It would be simpler just to destroy the camera with her powers, but that was out of the question; she had to do this the old fashioned way.
 
It was time to meet Skye and Seth was smiling. He couldn't wait to see her again. She did all his chores, all his homework… it was like….
 
“Seth!”
 
Seth turned and saw a very agitated Skye walking towards him. He raised an eyebrow and his expression turned to shock as she slapped him hard across the face.
 
“What was that for!?” he shouted, holding his sore cheek.
 
“Like you don't know!” she shouted back.
 
Seth looked to the side, a bit ashamed. He didn't really like blackmailing her… it was just…
 
“I don't care if you go to the presses. They'll check up on your `so-called' lead and when they realize there is no dragon, they'll assume you Photo Shopped it.”
 
“And how do you suppose to do that? A seven foot tall, twelve foot long dragon isn't hard to miss!”
 
“Kha's clingy, but he'll do whatever I tell him, especially when it comes to keeping him a secret.”
 
Seth sighed and sat down on the bench that was there, running his hand through his hair. Was Skye imagining things, or did see his cheeks turn a shade of pink?
 
“I never intended to go this far….” he said quietly.
 
Skye blinked. “Then what the heck did you do it for?!”
 
This time she was sure she saw him blush. What's going on?
 
“I…uh…I….I just wanted… to be near you….”
 
Skye blushed slightly. “Well, you could have done that without blackmailing me!”
 
“I know, I know. But… I didn't want to take the chance…”
 
Skye blinked; this was the first time anything like this had happened.
 
“You some kind of crazy stalker or something?”
 
Seth shot up. “No! Nothing like that! It's just… at first… I really wanted to see Kha. But then… I was worried you would think that I'm a creep so I kind of just kept it up.” His words slowed as he continued.
 
“Well, you were right. I do think you're a creep!”
 
Seth's face became a deeper shade of red and he looked away, ashamed. Skye couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy. He was probably like her; parents always working and no friends.
 
She sighed and sat down next to him, rubbing his back slightly. “Why don't we forget it ever happened and start over?”
 
Seth looked over to her and smiled slightly, “I'd like that…”
 
A month or so passed and Seth and Skye hit off the right way this time. They became fast friends and to everyone around them, there was something else growing as well.
 
It was a typical day. School was over and Seth was walking Skye home.
 
“Hey, you think we can take a ride on Kha today?” Seth asked enthused.
 
Skye sighed. “It's safer to do it in the morning…”
 
“Come on, please?”
 
Skye sighed. “How about you meet me at my place by dawn and we'll go flying, okay?”
 
Seth smiled and was about to reply, but he heard a strange sound. “Do you hear that?”
 
Skye nodded; it sounded like a sharp and rapid scratching sound.
 
Both their eyes grew wide as they realized what the sound was, “What are scarab beetles doing here?!”
 
Their question was soon answered; a small army of mummified zombies was walking up the street! People were panicking and running inside the nearest buildings as the zombies made their way to Seth and Skye.
 
Seth was freaking out while Skye just growled lowly. “Seth, get behind me…”
 
Seth blinked but did what Skye said. What the heck is going on?!
 
Skye went and charged at the mummies, but as she got rid of a few of them, the more it became obvious they weren't after her. She looked back and her eyes grew wide; they were after Seth!
 
Seth backed away and was about to run, but he found himself surrounded. He kept trying to keep them away, but they were tightening the circle and he was running out of room.
 
He was panicking. “Ahh! Get away from me!!!”
 
As he tried to get away, a small, black light started to surround his body and the mummies stopped at his command.
 
Skye blinked and stared at the scene confused. “What the hell?”
 
Seth blinked and smirked, wanting to test this out. “Do jumping jacks.”
 
The mummies obeyed.
 
“Do the chicken dance.”
 
The mummies looked at each other, but did as they were commanded.
 
“Oh, this is sweet!”
 
Skye shook her head, annoyed expression pasted on her face with a twitching eyebrow. She was worried about this moron?
 
“Skye, you gotta check this out! It's so wicked!”
 
“You moron! The army of the undead belongs to Anubis! How the hell are you controlling them!?”
 
“I dunno, but it rules!”
 
Skye sighed and massaged her temples. “Tell them to go to my place.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Just do it!”
 
“Fine, whatever.”
 
About an hour later, all the mummies arrived at Skye's house. Skye was waiting, a serious expression pasted on her face. She closed her eyes and focused her energy, causing two large, white wings to come out of her back.
 
Seth stared in awe as she flapped her newly sprouted wings. It was then he noticed that the wind was picking up. Skye was flapping her wings and with a final flap, blades came out of the wings and sliced and diced the mummies.
 
“Whoa……” he said, his eyes ready to fall out of his head.
 
Skye looked over to Seth, not bothering to put her wings away. “What exactly happened while you were in Egypt? I want to know everything.”
 
Seth blinks but goes about telling her everything that he and his parents did. One thing seemed to catch her interest.
 
“YOU WENT INTO THE TEMPLE OF ANUBIS?!!!!!”
 
Seth waited for the ringing in his ears to stop before answering. “Uh... yeah. My parents are Egyptologists after all.”
 
“Entry into any temple is forbidden!”
 
“Well, we didn't know it was a temple until after we went in.”
 
Skye shook her head. “So much for being the greatest Egyptologists.”
 
“Hey! There were no markings what so ever!”
 
She sighed and dropped the conversation. Skye walked over to Seth and placed her hands on his chest. “This might hurt a bit, but I have to make sure….”
 
Seth became a bit nervous, but that all went away when he felt a pain shooting through his chest. “Stop it!” he screamed in pain. Just as he shouted, the black light returned, but flowed wildly and it lashed out at Skye, blasting her away from him.
 
Seth's eyes grew wide as he realized what had just happened. “Oh my, God! Skye!”
 
As he examined her, he realized what had just happened. Her skin, especially her hands and forearms was charred. Seth looked at his hands, which still had the black light surrounding them.
 
“What's going on?” he mumbled to himself, almost scared to tears.
 
Just then, Kha came flying in. He walked over to Skye and nuzzled her gently, a golden light starting to appear around her. As the light got stronger, it was clearer that Kha was healing Skye. Seth could only pray he didn't kill her.
 
Skye slowly opened her eyes and Kha helped her sit up, the glowing now having faded.
 
“Skye….are you…..a-all r-right?” He was scared; he didn't know what was going on and he thought he had killed her just then.
 
“I'm fine… just exhausted…” she said, leaning on Kha.
 
“Wha-what's happening to me? What was that?”
 
“The Crystal of Anubis…. It fuses with someone who's entered Anubis' chamber.”
 
“I… I still don't understand…”
 
“Seth….. Anubis… he's going to use that crystal…to fuse with your body and give him access to the human plane.”
 
Seth stared at her blankly. When the information sunk in however, he began to get worried.
 
“What….what's going to happen to me?”
 
“I dunno…”
 
“What do you mean you don't know!?!”
 
“Just that. I don't know.”
 
“C-come on! You gotta know something! Y-you got wings!”
 
“I have wings because I'm the incarnation of Isis. It doesn't mean I know everything.”
 
“Bu-But!”
 
“And no, I don't have her knowledge either. I found out when I was ten and I have yet to master the powers. Get off my back.”
 
Skye sighed as she looked at Seth. He was scared out of his mind and here she was being petty. She walked over to him and hugged him; he needed it.
 
“Its okay, Seth. I'm here.”
 
Days passed and the undead army kept coming. Seth did his best to not control them, but they always wound up doing what he said, unless it was `drop dead'.
 
“When's it going to happen?” Seth asked one day after school; the waiting was stressing him out more than the actual deed.
 
“Whenever Anubis wants, I guess….”
 
“This guy is seriously ticking me off….”
 
“He's the God of death and embalming. Not like he cares about anyone else's wants.”
 
“I just wish he'd hurry up… The wait's kill-ack!”
 
“Seth, are you okay!?” she asked worriedly as the boy next to her suddenly collapsed. “Seth!”
 
She shook the boy to try and wake him up, but she was shocked by the black light again.
 
“Oh, no…” she said and backed away.
 
The black light completely consumed Seth. He floated off the ground, his face changing dramatically. It went from a human head to that of a canine; his body became much more masculine and his wardrobe changed, but the left ear still kept its piercing.
 
“Anubis…” she said softly, glaring at the jackal-headed male.
 
The light faded and Anubis looked at his new body. “Finally.”
 
Skye clench her fist. “Anubis! Give Seth back!”
 
Anubis turned to face Skye, an evil smirk played on his lips. “My dear, Isis. Why do you care about a simple human?”
 
“I'm not Isis!”
 
“You have her powers, so you must be Isis.”
 
“I'm an incarnation! Not the real thing!”
 
Anubis smirked, “Then you obviously don't have what it takes to stop me.”
 
“I could too! Just watch me! I'll get Seth back!”
 
“Then let's see you keep up.”
 
Anubis smirked and ran off, his speed was unearthly.
 
Skye growled and sprouted her wings, flying after Anubis; her speed in flight matching his on the ground.
 
Skye followed Anubis in a race across the planet. She kept up with him easily, dodging all the buildings, trees, people and planes. She got annoyed and tried attacking Anubis, but he dodged it and only slowed her down.
 
The chase ended where Skye expected it to: The Temple of Anubis. She quickly cut him off before he could go inside.
 
“I'm not letting you make this permanent,” she said, glaring at him.
 
Anubis smirked, “I doubt you could stop me.”
 
Skye growled and tackled Anubis. He easily threw her off due to his superior strength but she was a lot faster than he was and more agile so he couldn't get in a hit. As frustrated as Anubis was, Skye was just as equally frustrated. Even though she was a lot faster, her attacks didn't seem to have much effect and he was far more experienced.
 
After awhile, both of them got a feeling for each others moves. Anubis' fist connected with Skye's stomach, causing her to cough up a bit of blood. Skye countered with a roundhouse kick to his head, knocking him forward then she kicked him in the kidneys, which caused him to double over.
 
He growled and charged at Skye, finally grabbing her and rammed her into the side of the temple. Skye yelped in pain but she flapped her wings, the blades cutting into Anubis like hot knives through butter.
 
Skye took this chance to get free and slammed her knee into his jaw. Anubis held his throbbing jaw and cut into Skye with his claws.
 
Sky jumped back and held the new would on her stomach and growled lowly at Anubis. This guy was seriously asking for it. She lunged forward, her wings allowing her to glide off the ground and slammed her fist almost through Anubis' stomach.
 
Anubis was not happy. He grabbed Skye by her hair and pulled her forward, ramming his knee into her stomach. He then threw her up in the air and brought his foot down forcibly into her spine, a crack emitting from the impact. Skye fell rapidly to the ground, creating a crater. Skye tried to rise, but she only managed to get out of the crater before she lost all of her energy.
 
“You….fu-” She got cut off by Anubis kicking her in the side.
 
He smirked. “I told you, you couldn't stop me.”
 
Anubis stepped over Skye only to freeze, howling in pain. He glared down at the newly created wound and the instrument that caused it; Skye had stabbed him in the calf.
 
“You little wretch!” He was about to attack her again, but she stabbed him in the knee, completely immobilizing him.
 
“I won't let you take Seth!” she shouted, finding a second wind somewhere and began stabbing him over and over, blood splashing all over her.
 
When she came out of her fit of rage, Anubis was gone, but their lied Seth. He was limped, pale, covered in blood and stab wounds; he was dead. Tears threatened to fall down her face; she knew how to remove the curse… but she didn't want to do it…
 
“Seth… forgive me…” she said quietly as she took the dagger and stabbed Seth in the chest.
 
Doing her best not to vomit, Skye cut open Seth's chest, removing his heart from his body. With hot tears streaming down her face, she ripped his heart into pieces until a small red crystal fell out of it.
 
Placing the pieces of heart back into his body, Skye picked up the crystal and closed her hand around it, a bright light shining from her hand. As she opened her hand, the crystal turned into dust and blew out of her hand.
 
Skye turned her attention back to Seth. “Isis…. please…. help me.”
 
Placing her hands on the body, she poured all her energy into her healing powers. Seth's body began to glow with a bright light and the wounds on Seth's body began to close.
 
After a few moment of this intense healing, Skye passed out from both physically and mentally drained on top of Seth.
 
“Seth… I'm sorry…” she cried.
 
“Well, I'm not.”
 
Skye shot up and looked at Seth; he was smiling at her! She wrapped her arms around his neck and cried uncontrollably.
 
Seth wrapped his arms around Skye and stroked her hair. “Thanks, Skye.”
 
He pulled her away from him and wiped the tears away from her face with his thumb.
 
“I love you, Skye.”
 
He smiled at her and pulled her in for a kiss that she happily returned.