Fan Fiction ❯ The Curse ❯ Spirit ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Curse
Request Fic for Brianna
by paralleltodarkness (aka Meira)

~*~Chapter Four - Spirit~*~

Disclaimer: I don't own anybody in this story so far, everybody here is somebody from the real world (namely my school), I just changed their names to protect their privacy. But, I own 'The Curse of Wings.'
The only names that I have not changed are Brianna, Kathy, and Julia.
I also do not own Yami from Yu-Gi-Oh. I just felt like putting him in the authoress notes. It's so much more fun when I get to torture somebody!

THANK YOU TO BRIANNA FOR COMING UP WITH THE IDEA AND BASIC PLOT FOR THIS STORY!

----------
Meira: Evil writer's block...
Yami: AGAIN?!
Meira: I can't think of anything...
Yami: Well, could you at least shorten the disclaimer?
Meira: Nope. I- *turns to watching Sabrina, the Teenage Witch* THEY'RE TEEPEEING A HOUSE! AWESOME!
Yami: Weren't you planning to do that on Halloween?
Meira: No, I was planning on attacking (insert gay person here) and (insert gay person here) [yes, they're from my school] with Silly String if they came up to me, Brianna, and Kathy on Halloween. It's better than carrying around eggs and toilet paper the entire night...
Yami: *sweatdrop*
Meira: *shakes head* I need another muse...
Yami: WHAT?!
Meira: Hehe... And this chapter is WAY LONG!
Yami: All the better!
Meira: ... There is no way I'm going to be able to make the next chapter longer than this one.
Yami: So don't.
Meira: I'm trying to make each chapter longer than the last... but THIS IS 12 KB! IT'S HUGE! I'M NOT GONNA BE ABLE TO MAKE IT!
Yami: So?
Meira: *sweatdrop* We want to thank MathWhiz100 for beta reading this!
----------

"Oh god..." Meira whispered, turning white. "I didn't think that I could call something by just talking into a soda can."
"Nobody thought that," Julia said.
"Uh... guys?" Kathy asked.
"What?"
"Is it just me, or is this room getting a lot darker?"
They turned around.
"Yeah..." Brianna whispered. "It is getting darker..."
"Shadows," Meira said grimly. "It's not really getting darker... it's just being covered by shadows."
They all stared at her in disbelief.
"And you know this... how?"
Meira shrugged. "Written so much about shadows... But technically, the room being covered by shadows would make it darker, right?"
Julia shook her head. "You just figured that out," she said sarcastically.
"Lilith..." the thing hissed.
Kathy frowned. "That's strange..."
"What?" the others whispered.
"This thing doesn't seem to be doing anything, just hissing that name."
"That's because it hasn't accumulated enough power yet," Brianna whispered, realization hitting her.
That thing disappeared.
"Guess it couldn't stay long," Julia said softly.
"Who would want it to?" Meira snorted.
"C'mon," Kathy whispered. "Let's get out of this gym..."
They headed out.
The music started again.
"Well, glad to see everybody here's okay," Brianna mumbled. "After all, why would they see a crazed spirt saying the name 'Lilith'?"
"Maybe they didn't," Julia whispered.
They ran back inside the gym.
"Did you hear somebody whisper the name 'Lilith' today, in this dance?" Kathy asked breathlessly to the first student they met. "Namely when the music stopped."
"Yeah," Mikel turned around. Everybody cringed. "When Meira was talking into that soda can."
"I had a purpose you know!" Meira said defiantly. "But then again, you don't when you're running around, trying to open every locker that you see!"
"It's called 'thievery'," Mikel scowled. "That counts as a purpose."
"Riiight," Meira smirked.
"Then explain your purpose," Mikel snapped.
"Trying to perceive if I articulate into a canister, if it would summon a sinister specter," Meira replied. [Meira: See? Thesauruses help!]
"In English, please?"
"That was in English!"
"You know that that wasn't what I meant!"
"Well, you told me to speak in English, and I am!"
Mikel threw his hands up into the air and stormed off.
"I think I pissed him off," Meira said, watching him walk away.
Brianna, Kathy, and Julia were trying hard not to laugh.
Meira shrugged. "I guess my sister's rubbing off on me..."
"Is that the only explanation?"
"Um... Jordon was speaking Spanish in Consumer Ed. (Home Ec.) two days ago..." Meira said, thinking hard. "Mind you, it was frustrating. I mean, I can barely get through Spanish... let alone listening to it while I'm trying to cook!"
"Jordon..." Julia laughed, shaking her head.
"The dance is already half over," Meira said, looking at the clock. "And we can't really leave early..."
"Let's just not think about this whole thing, and enjoy the rest of it!"
***
"Okay," Brianna said. "This is what we have so far- nothing."
"Yup," Julia said, typing something onto the computer. "Even with all those search engines, we still won't find anything..."
"Maybe we could find something by that old house," Meira suggested, but was answered by a loud chorous of NO!s.
"Just a thought..." she muttered. "How else are we going to find out about this curse?"
"How do we even know that it really exists?" Brianna asked softly.
"We don't," Kathy said. "All we know is that it's the only curse around here."
"Not neccessarily," Meira said. "There has got to be more curses around here... I mean, 'The Curse of Wings' can't be the only one, right?"
"How long ago was the document on this curse anyways?" Julia asked, turning to Kathy.
"There was no date," Kathy shrugged. "I told you guys, there wasn't anything on the curse."
"Hold on," Meira said, typing something into the search engine.
"What're you looking for?"
"Aincent spirits. If there are no documents, then that definitely means that this is an old curse, or that this is an undiscovered curse."
"It can't be undiscovered, there's the name at least."
Meira stopped typing. "That narrows it down to it being an old curse. Did you look up Lilith?"
Brianna nodded. "Ten thousand results," she said dryly. "What good is that going to do me? After all Meira, you were going to use the name Lilith in one of your fics anyways, so imagine what else there is out there?"
"We'll never know," Julia said, typing 'Lilith' on the search engine.
"Ten thousand results," Meira said, looking over Julia's shoulder. "Fat load of help that's going to be. Most of these results are on fanfiction.net or mediaminer."
"This one doesn't look like it," Kathy said, pointing at a link.
"That's..." Julia looked at the address. "A fic at a Halloween site."
"Great..." Brianna sank back onto the couch. "We can't find anything!"
"Try typing 'Lilith' with 'The Curse of Wings'," Kathy suggested. "That's bound to come up with at least one result."
"Zero matches found," Julia muttered.
"Leave the 'Wings' part out," Meira suggested. "Maybe then we'll come up with something."
"Two matches found," Julia said, clicking on a link. "One's to a fic, 'The Curse' [Meira: HAHAHA!!! Just had to put that in... Aren't I stupid?] or something like that, and the other is to a site."
"What does it say?"
"It's the Curse of the Pepperoni Pizza by a little kid in the second grade," Julia said, slumping back in her seat. "You think they might have mistaken 'Wings' for Pizza?"
"Maybe we should look again," Brianna said. "After all, there might be something else besides 'The Curse of Wings' around here."
"Let's see..." Kathy muttered, taking Julia's spot at the computer. "Curses... curses..."
"There have got to be curses in Chicago," Meira said. "Like that crazed lunatic spirit that said that he used to live at your house. What was his name... Thomas or something?"
"Thomas G. Hughes," Brianna said. "Him and his family."
"And didn't you say that when you ran a search on him online, there really was such a person? And the death dates were only about a day or two off."
The other three nodded.
"So, what I'm saying is, that this 'Lilith' might have been a real person, and whoever's behind this crazy curse is after her or something."
"Then would you mind telling us about five hundred years ago?" Kathy asked, peering up from the computer screen.
"FIVE HUNDERED YEARS AGO?!" the other three yelled in unison.
Kathy nodded. "The latest traces of any curse that was last recorded a long time ago was five hundred years ago. But the people who recorded this were Native American."
"They made a record of this five hundred years ago, and we just recently decoded it?" Julia asked, shocked. "Were they in this area?"
"Apparently," Kathy said, slowing down. "Some remote tribe whose center was..."
"Where?"
"Right where this house is right now."
Everybody turned toward Brianna.
"Don't look at me," she said, shaking her head. "I've got nothing to do with this."
"She's right," Julia said, biting her bottom lip. "Brianna obviously had no idea about this."
"We weren't referring to her!" Meira snapped. "We just wanted to know if anything strange has been going on here!"
Brianna thought about that.
"Not really... it's just that scream... I've heard it every day for the past few days," she said.
"What time?" Meira asked.
"Um... do you remember what time you signed offline a few days ago?"
"I think it was 8:39 pm," Meira said slowly.
"Let's stay here until then," Brianna suggested. "Then we can see if that scream appears again."
***
"8:35," Kathy whispered, looking at the clock again.
"Who knew that waiting for two hours could be this tough?" Julia sighed. "We didn't find anything else out..."
"We know that there was a Native American tribe living here five hundred years ago," Meira said dryly.
"Oh, thanks a lot guys," Brianna said. "Now I'm creeped out. It's like at my old house, when- I told you guys about the crawlspace, right?"
The other three nodded.
"Well, I'll say it again. I crawled in there, and there were the words 'Keep Out' written on the wall, and they weren't there before. We all thought that it was creepy, and-"
She was cut off but a bloodcurling scream.
"8:39," Kathy whispered, looking at the clock.
"That means..." Meira said slowly. "You've been hearing the scream every day at 8:39 pm."
"I don't really understand," Julia whispered.
"None of us do..." Brianna whispered.
The lights flickered.
"What's up?" Meira asked, looking up at the ceiling.
"I dunno," Brianna answered.
The lights died out, and left the room pitch black.

----------
Meira: And yet again another-
Yami: *clamps hand over Meira's mouth* SHUT UP!
Meira: *shoves Yami away* Touchy, aren't we?
Yami: ... Anyways, since you have Friday off. Where you going? Mall? Wisconsin? Indiana? Six Flags?
Meira: I'M GONNA STAY HOME ALL DAY AND WRITE THIS FIC!
Yami: *anime fall* You define 'Overly obsessed'...
Meira: Nope. I define 'On a sugar high'! ^-^ That's why I was writing "I Hate (insert the candidate that I hate here)" all over Zach's assignment notebook during homeroom (homebase)... I'm supporting the other guy, so imagine how pissed off he was at me...
Yami: *anime fall*
Meira: ^-^ Anyways, please review! Thank you to Katko and PutPut for reviewing! You've brought the number of reviews up on this story to a number that will keep my happy for the rest of this story!
Yami: Already?
Meira: ... WHO SAID YOU COULD STOP REVIEWING?! KEEP THE REVIEWS COMING!
Yami: That's more like the Meira I know...
Meira: *sweatdrop*