Fan Fiction ❯ The First Fall ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The First Fall: Prologue

Two things were certain to them both as they clutched each other for what seemed like dear life. First, their action not even an hour earlier, would result in the conception of a child. Second, they were on Earth for eternity, banished there for breaking one of the most sacred laws of their kind. An icy wind blew down the alleyway where they stood in an omnious warning of what would come.

The former demon, Bardiel, was thankful that he still had his powers. He focused the dark energy within him and made himself and his lover, Samshel, invisible. He felt her shiver and then covered her with his dark wings, careful not to crush hers. He knew he had to do something soon. They could not stand in the cold alleyway forever. After working for the Darkness for so long, he had nearly forgotten what fear was. These emotions now crept up his spine.

"Jacob?" he heard a voice say. Only Samshel ever called him by his chosen first name.

He looked down at her because she was that much shorter than him. The sight that greeted him comforted him greatly, forcing his fear and worry away. Her ice blue eyes were dancing and her smile was one of the largest he had ever seen on her face. He surpressed a smile and lifted a hand to her face.

"Yes, dear?," he responded, running a large, callous hand gently through her dark hair.

She giggled slightly at the term. "Get us off the streets," she said softly.

Bardiel realized then that she was not worried much at all. He kissed her pale white forehead and nodded. "Stay here," he said.

She nodded and backed out of his wings, quickly covering herself with her own off-white ones. She found a box crate behind her and sat down.

Bardiel felt strange walking down the streets of what he knew was Washington, D.C. nude. He missed the dark robes of Tatarus already. His first task would be to find clothing. He saw a tall man and his wife walking toward him. The man was dressed in a suit and trench coat, and the woman a fine dress and a wool coat. He knew they were well off and would not mind losing their coats.

Stop, he encouraged the couple. He could see two demons and two angels standing behind them. The four protested, but did not interfere. Take off your coats, he encouraged them both. They obeyed silently, as if nothing had happened. They laid their coats on the sidewalk and quickly went about their business.

"You're a disgrace," one of the demons said to Bardiel. Bardiel smiled at Zeruel and saluted him with a middle finger. He retrieved the coats, quickly trying to don the trench coat.

His wings were in the way. He was about to curse, when suddenly the coat fell into place as if his wings were not there. He panicked, thinking that his wings were gone, as well as his home. Then he realized they were still there, all he need do was call upon them. He sighed and returned to alleyway he left Samshel at.

"Put this on," he told her. He held out the long coat as she backed into it.

"But my wings...," she started, and hers dissapeared too. He watched panic take over her face and relief return. She smiled at him. "You stole these, didn't you?," she accused.

He had to grin at her. "I did not. They were given to me, all I did was ask for them," he said, shoving his hand into the deep pockets of the coat. He found that the pockets were not empty. He pulled out the contents and found a clip holding neatly folded $20 bills. He counted it, two hundred and forty dollars. It would get them a room in a hotel, some clothes, and some food at least.

Samshel looked at the money nearly appalled. "I didn't realize this was in his pocket," Bardiel explained.

"Well, we're immortal humans now. I'm going to have to get used to it, right?" she said.

"Sam...," Bardiel began, he had a feeling what she might be inplying. He couldn't imagine her doing such a thing. He would never forgiove himself if he allowed her to..

She put a finger to his lips quickly. "Don't. I told you to get me off the streets. I expect you do it," she said.

He took her hand and led her straight to a hotel. It wasn't fancy, but Bardiel wasn't sure how long the money would have to last and he didn't want to have to steal more than was nessacery. He may have been a demon, but he had his own moral code, a moral code that conflicted with his duties many times.

He walked to the front desk. There a young man sat, perusing a magazine of some kind. "I need a room." The man jumped, nearly falling out of his seat, at the sound of Bardiel's voice

"What!??"

Bardiel growled, staring coldly at the young man. "I said, I need a room." The man paled significantly. With a nervous gulp, he reached under the desk, retrieving a book and had Bardiel sign for a room. After that, he handed the demon a set of keys. "Thank you." Bardiel grinned menacingly, changing the sive and shape of his teeth for added effect, at the clearly shaken form behind the desk.

As they walked up the stairs to the third floor, Samshel snorted at her companion. "You scared that poor boy half to death."

"I know." Samshel sighed.

Once in the room, Samshel stripped off the coat and unfurled her wings. She walked over to the large bed and laid face down.

"Samshel?," Bardiel asked, taking off his trench coat and joining her. She turned her head in his direction and smiled. She leaned over and kissed his lips, forcing pure electricity through his veins again. She laid her head back down on her pillow and fell asleep. Bardiel chuckled quietly, he had almost forgetten the recently Fallen Angel snored

Bardiel carefully pulled the blankets from beneath her and laid them across her back. He kissed her cheek, dressed, and left the hotel to buy clothes for them both.

After finding a store that would let him in barefoot, Bardiel had no trouble finding clothing for himself. It was a small family owned store, and Bardiel took some comfort in the fact that the family was actually a good one.

After a short time, he found a pair of jeans and a heavy grey sweater and undershirt. He realized it wasn't exactly in style, but it suited his own tastes. A pair of heavy black military boots, a pair of socks, and some underwear completed his new wardrobe.

Samshel was a bit harder to shop for. He had to force himself to buy her a pair of jeans and sweater because they'd be warmer than a dress. Call him a chouvinist, but women did not belong in pants. Even though Samshel prefered them, deep inside he still felt women belonged in dresses of some fashion. Buying her a bra had caused a few stares, but once he glared at the demons causing the women to look, the stares stopped. He found a pair of sneakers for her, somehow knowing all her sizes.

The young woman at the counter smiled cheerfully at him. She began punching the prices into the register, and eyed him grinning when she held up the women's undergarments.

"For my...wife," Bardiel grunted, having to grin himself. Wife? What was he thinking?

"And where is she?" the woman asked, almost whispering.

"At home, asleep," he answered.

"Of course," she said, sounding as if she didn't beleive him. "Total is $123.87," she said.

Bardiel counted out seven bills and handed them to her. The clothes had cost more than he'd expected. "Do you mind if I put these on?" he asked the girl.

"Course not. There's a fitting room in the back." A mischevious grin forming. "But honestly, the bra is too small for you," she said smiling.

He gave her an amuzed smile so she wouldn't feel stupid. He found the changing rooms the girl indicated. Stepping in he removed the coat once again and looked in the mirror in the small room. His upper body and back were covered in scars, from both fights and the punishments that had been inflicted upon him when he had felt pity for a woman who had bargained her soul for the life of her son a millinia ago. He had released her from the contract, for that he was whipped for a century by his brethen. It had taken nearly as long for him to heal enough to return to his duties. He pushed his memories down and changed quickly, satisfied with the way the clothes fit.

Before he left the store he passed by the young woman at the counter. Looking at her, he frowned before leaning over and whispering something to her low enough only she heard. Her eyes widened and her jaw went slack. Tears of grief formed in her eyes. She covered her face in with her hands and sobed loudly. "I am sorry. You deserved to know about the man you live with. Leave him now and you and your daughter will be better off." He left the store, hoping the woman would take his advise. Neither she or the child, Anna, deserved the same fate as the woman's boyfriend.

Walking back to the hotel, he felt his stomach growl. Bardiel had felt hunger before, the last time was at the turn of the century. he figured it would happen more often now. Samshel would be waking soon, possibly hungry herself. He could feel the presence of many eyes around him. He looked up onto the roofs and saw dozens of figures standing at the edge, watching him. Both Angels and Demons alike. At first he thought they were the Firsts, like himself and Samshel, but he quickly relized they were of a younger generation. He could see the respect on the faces on those of both light and dark wings. A young demon, a redhaired female known as Morrigan, smiled and bowed her head slightly. He noticed a diner, and stepped inside.

*****

Samshel awoke knowing the child had been conceived, and could feel his presence within her already. As she moved slightly, a dull ache between her legs reminded her of Jacob, and she sat up slowly searching the room for him.

She was alone in the hotel room, under the blankets on an uncomfortable bed. She was about to get up when she heard the key enter the keyhole and saw the doorknob turn.

Bardiel carried the bags to the bed in front of Samshel. "Are you all right?" he asked quietly.

Samshel smiled in reply. With her wings spread out behind her, she seemed the most beutiful thing in all of creation. A stab of guilt enveloped him, knowing he was partially the cause of her fall from grace. He cursed the counsil for their decision to banish Samshel from Heaven. It wasn't right, she was possibly the most loyal of all His angels. But did the damned counsil take that into account for a momentary lapse in judgement? No! Damn them.

"Has the child been conceived yet?" he asked. It was a redundant question. He simply knew. He watched the former messenger as she moved, trying to determine what signs if any were visible, but found none.

Samshel nodded. Bardiel pulled the blankets away from her abdomen and placed his hand over it. A very tiny sign of life within the greater one met his hand, causing a great smile to break out across his face. "I'm not sure that this is what I expected, but I...," he said gently, unable to find the proper words.

Samshel smiled. "I have always wanted a child. I have always wanted you. I think myself lucky I've gotten them at the same time." She placed her hand over his and squeezed.

After a long moment spent lost in each other's eyes, Bardiel reached into a bag and handed Samshel a cup of something warm. "Hot chocolate," he informed her. Samshel flipped off the lid and drank carefully. Her eyes brightened, apparently enjoying the taste of the drink. He handed her a sandwich. "I hope you haven't become one of those vegetarians," he said as she unwrapped a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

"Is this pork?" she asked quietly.

He suddenly remembered with a pang how the Lord of Light forbade the eating of pork. He handed her his roast beef sandwich as he took hers. "Is cow better?"

She grinned snatching the ham sandwich back and taking a big bite. Bardiel's eyes grew wide. "Sam!" he gasped.

"I'm no longer an angel, Jacob. You're no longer a demon. We're human. Immortal, yes, but still human," she said after chewing and swallowing. "I've always wondered what pig tasted like. It's not the best tasting thing, but I don't see hat all the fuss is about."

Bardiel pursed his lips in an amused manner. "Are you actually questioning Him?," he teased. She glared icicles at him. He winced at the sight. Bardiel made a mental note not to make jokes like that around Samshel. "Sorry. No harm meant." He took a bite of his sandwich, discovering he didn't like pickles. He picked the remaining pickles off while considering what he would have to do to keep Samshel and his child fed. If they were to blend into the mortal population he wouldd have to get a job, that was certain. But doing what? How could he sign a resume that could be checked? He'd need identafication, social security number, birth certifcate, college degrees... Panic hit him again.

"Jacob? You look pale," Samshel said, her sandwich, half-eaten already, forgotten.

He looked back up to her. "Do I?" he asked to stall for time.

"Something's wrong," she said bluntly.

Bardiel shook his head. "Eat your food and don't worry about it," he said.

Her eyes narrowed. "First off, don't tell me what to do. Secondly, we're not going to keep secrets from one another. Please tell me what's worrying you."

"Sammie..." He sighed. "How am I to provide for you and our child?" As soon as his words were out he wanted them back. But he looked at Samshel, she was smiling. How could see possibly be happy to hear that question?

Samshel put a hand on his shoulder. "Well, manipulation will have to do for now."

"I'm not stealing any more money unless I absolutely have to," Bardiel said.

"No one has asked you to steal. Manipulation is another aspect, is it not? The power of suggestion, I mean." She reached out with a free hand to touch his face.

He realized she had a plan. He tilted his head to the side and grinned slightly. "It is, but what exactly are you implying?"

"I can't believe how devious my mind is being, but get me a canvas. And something to draw with. Lead, charcoal, paints, crayons, it doesn't matter. Get these things for me, and I will show you what I am implying. And for now, don't worry. Everything's going to be all right."

Bardiel swallowed hard, his curiosity now peaked. He took another bite of his sandwich trying to put the pieces together. He finished eating, and let Samshel finish too.