Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda: The Sword of the Winds ❯ New Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

He floated in his prison of white, raging at the outside world. "It was all mine!" the demented creature roared into the emptiness, "I came so close to having complete power, but that wretched brat ruined everything!" As the crazed man floated in nothingness, his thoughts once again ran over the events of his downfall in agonizing detail. The battle against Link in his tower, being defeated and then revived by his Triforce of Power, and once again being defeated by him with the help of that wench, Zelda. Ganondorf rocked in the eternal prison the sages had trapped him in, vowing revenge on those he despised.

Link checked his hair in the mirror one more time before throwing his Kokiri hat on. Normally he didn't primp like this, but today was special. It was finally the day he was going to ask Zelda to marry him. After returning to Hyrule from Termina, seven years had passed normally, without Ganondorf's evil effects on the land. Link was a regular guest at the castle now, no more sneaking past guards for him! He still carried the Master Sword around with him, the Ocarina of Time too. Chuckling under his breath, Link knew it was just because he was too sentimental to give them up. Even if he was still the Hero of Time, he hadn't done any serious battling in a long time. Hyrule had been overall disaster free since Ganondorf was sealed away. It almost seemed like things were too quiet though. Laughing aloud this time, Link brushed his ridiculous thoughts away for happier thing as he finished getting ready.

"Liiiiiink! Hey Link!" called a familiar voice from below his Kokiri tree house. Saria was still inseparable from Link, after he had returned home she barely ever left her side. Not that he minded though, not only did he get to be with his old friend; he got to play bodyguard whenever she felt like going to the forest temple. Despite the fact that it was as if Ganondorf had done nothing to harm the world, somehow the sages had all been awakened in this time frame when he defeated Ganon and they sealed him away. No one really understood it, but Zelda hypothesized that it was due to the huge amount of power the sages had drawn on, as well as that there had to be someone to maintain the seals on his realm. Everyone else just shrugged it off, leaving complicated ideas like this to the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom. A slight smile grew on Link's face as he thought of the feisty princess. He was snapped out of his reverie by a child-sized hand waving in his face. "Link! Helloo!! Snap out of whatever daydream your in, I've got important news!"

Giving his head a quick shake, a sheepish Link replied, "Whoops, sorry Saria, I guess I was just think about my plans for the day," which was quite truthful. "Did you need something?" he asked, smiling down at his cute friend.

"Nothing much, I just wanted to know what's going on today. We could go out to the forest temple if you like. It's been a few weeks, and I'm sure a few monsters must have popped up that need to be taken care of. However, since you've apparently been thinking about what we're going to do, why don't you tell me?" she answered with an impish smile. "Unless, you just made that excuse up on the spot because you were daydreaming about a certain princess." Link scratched the back of his neck and scuffed his boots, a bad habit he'd been doing for years, as Saria fought not to burst out in giggles. "Yup, just as I thought," she smirked, as Link turned bright red, another habit he didn't have much control over. Despite the fact he held the strength of the Triforce of Courage, he had always been bashful when it came to women. Which reminded him….how was he going to tell Ruto?

"Um, actually Sar, I was hoping to go to the castle today. By myself." Seeing the downcast look that suddenly appeared on her face, Link quickly explained. "It's not that I don't want to spend time with you Saria, I love doing that. It's just that….well, I think I'm finally going to ask Zelda to marry me today."

Saria raised an eyebrow, obviously skeptical. "Are you sure about this? I know you've been stuck on her ever since your adventures, but whatever happened to everyone else who fell for you? What about Ruto? Or m.., uh, Malon?" Saria broke off, staring at her feet. Both knew she had just stopped short of saying "me."

"Saria," Link said quietly, "I'm Hylian, not Kokiri. I need to be with another Hylian. You're my best friend in the world, and as much as I do like you, it wouldn't work." After a momentary pause, he continued, "Despite the fact that I love you, I guess it's more like I'd love a sister. As for Malon and Ruto, well I'm sure they'll be fine. Ruto needs another Zora to keep up her family's line, and Malon just likes to flirt. The real question, though, is are you going to be ok, Saria?"

Saria looked up and gave Link a faint smile. "Of course I will be, just don't forget about all of us here once you're the high and might ruler of Hyrule. I knew this was coming, I guess I just wanted to spend all the time I could with you before you left again."

Link slowly mulled this over in his mind. He knew Saria had feelings for him, but he figured they'd wear off in time. The last thing he wanted was to make her feel bad, but it looked like there just wasn't anyway around it this time. Heaving a sigh, he said, "Saria, I need to get going. Even riding Epona it's a fair distance to the castle. If you want, it's fine if you come along. The guards have said how much they enjoy watching you play in the Royal Garden." All that got him was a little smile and a polite, "some other time," though.

As Link headed for the ladder out of his tree house, Saria suddenly perked up and asked, "Can I at least see the ring?" Link was about halfway down the ladder, and abruptly got a shocked look on his face and fell the rest of the way to the ground, landing on his rump.

"Damn it! I knew I forgot something!!!"

The maniacal Ganondorf screamed in his unbreakable prison. Casting his wrath to the world of white, punching the air, but finding nothing solid. "I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!!!!" he raged, his cries of fury echoing into the distance. The pitiable creature held little resemblance to the proud man locked away by the sages. He was a wreck; a screaming, seething wreck. But he wasn't broken. His anger gave him purpose, never allowing him to give up against the void, keeping his spirit alive. Ganondorf's wits were another matter though entirely.

"REEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Princess Zelda, future ruler of Hyrule, holder of the Triforce of Wisdom, and the Sage of Wisdom, was feeling impatient. `Where is Link?' she wondered. He had promised to be here over an hour ago! Drumming her fingertips on the windowsill in her room, she stared out over the castle grounds. Sometimes she positively hated being royalty; people always had to come to you. As she continued staring out her window, she heard a loud CLINK right underneath where she was leaning off the sill. Stepping back out of shock, she gasped a little when Link swung into her room, hookshot in hand. Chuckling, she remarked, "You never could just use the door could you?"

Putting the tool away, Link answered with a grin, "Sure, but that's the boring way!" Crossing the room, he lifted Zelda up and swung her around once saying, "You'll never guess what today is!"

Puzzled, Zelda tried to rack her brain, but even the keeper of the Triforce of Wisdom had problems thinking when she was being spun around by Link. "I'm sure I have no idea, Link. It's not your birthday, or mine for that matter, I can say that much."

Setting the blond girl down, Link grabbed her hand and backed away in a flourishing motion and replied with a grin, "Why, this is the exact day I beat Ganondorf!" After Zelda was through realizing he was right, she let out a silvery laugh. Link loved that laugh almost as much as he loved Zelda herself. Dropping down to one knee, he added, "It's also the day I ask you to marry me." The surprise and joy openly displayed on Zelda's face, he continued, "So uh, will you, Zel?"

Dropping into a hug that threatened to strangle the Hero of Time, she whispered, "Yes, of course yes you silly fairy boy!" With that said, the new fiancés left off with words for the time being.

"I WANT MY REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ganondorf once again screamed. Writhing with anger, he barely even had other thoughts any longer. Only variations of how he would kill Link.

"Of course you do, that's quite understandable," replied a calm, educated voice. As the shell of a man that once was Ganondorf whirled around in his prison, the voice gave a low laugh. "I'm right here, my lord," the voice soothed, as a short wizard appeared near the crazed Gerudo. He wore colorful robes with a wide hat, but his face seemed as empty as a Skull Kid's. "Now," he continued to the befuddled man, "You surely must be wondering how I've gotten here. Seven years ago, you were sealed in this realm, and all your works undone. During those years, I have watched and waited for the seals to weaken, and now, Zelda has finally dropped her guard. We must leave this place at once, Master."

As the reality of the situation dawned on Ganondorf, he nodded to his loyal follower. "Go ahead then, get us out of here."

Bowing deeply, the wizard replied, "As my Lord Ganondorf commands." With that, the realm of white seemed to shimmer around them, and in the space of a blink, they were standing at the edge of Lake Hylia.

Surveying the area, Ganondorf hardly fought to keep the maniacal grin off his face. He was back, and the revenge he'd dreamed of for seven long years was finally within his grasp. Looking down at the wizard, he frowned and asked, "So what name do you go by?"

The short man's toothy smile appeared from the shadowy depths of his face and replied in a hoarse voice, "You may call me Tranz. Master."

So there we go! Please review if you can manage to cram it into your oh so busy schedule, I'm sure I could use the input. Since this is the first time I've tried this, don't be too tough with any flames! >_< Thanks!