Fan Fiction ❯ The Lone Wolf ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

THE LONE WOLF

I'm walking through the woods on a cold night. The ground is covered in snow and more is falling to the ground in the bright moonlight. Slowly I continue walking into the seemingly endless woods. I come to an opening and walk into it. The ground beneath my feet crunches as I walk. I stop and look up into the night sky. The stars are shining in all their glory, with the moon lighting up the clearing.
That's when I could hear it. In front of me, in the shadows something was pacing back and forth. The light sounds of the snow crunching could clearly be heard by anyone. I freeze in my tracks, listening and waiting. That's when it stepped into the moonlight.

A wolf.

The wolf steps forward into the moonlight, fully aware that I know of his presence. The moon shines down on his blue and white fur and he bares his teeth at me. I stand there, frozen in my stance, unable to move or yell. Finally our eyes lock from across the clearing. His eyes seem to hold endless depths of sorrow and anger, seemingly mimicking my own.

Weren't wolves supposed to attack in packs?

I look around me, but see no other wolves. That's when I realize. This lowly wolf is by himself in the cold harsh world. He was cast outward from his mates and was forced to survive on his own, just like myself, both of us naked to the world. My eyes stray from his and look over his body. Numerous scars have found themselves all over him, gotten from the battlefield, much like the scars on my soul.

The wolf and I are the same.

The wolf slowly creeps forward toward me, but I don't move an inch. I understand the wolf, but I still can't understand myself. The wolf continues to move closer toward me. I then step forward and he bares his teeth and utters a growl. My instincts tell me to step back, but I step forward again. This time the wolf springs at me, at my throat. All I can think of to do is throw my arm up to block it.

Is this what I do? Scare people off when they've gotten too close?

The next thing I could do was run. Run from the wolf that has the hunger in his eyes. But what is that hunger? Hunger for food? For a mate? For life? Perhaps even for death? His expression is unreadable as I continue to run through the woods. The snow crunches loudly as I run through the woods, not sure of where I am going. I can hear him coming for me. The sounds of his footsteps loom over me. I can feel his breath coming in ragged gasps. I can feel the heat coming from his breath on my ankles.

How close is he?

I continue to run and I can finally make out a clearing. The wolf is gaining on me, little by little. I've made it out and I'm in front of my house. I can't think straight as I pour all my energy into running, concentrating only on survival, much like that of a wolf. I make it to the door and fling it open, slamming the door behind me. The pain on my arm is intense, I'll need to patch it up.

The pain.

I've finished bandaging up my arm and I turn the bathroom light off. The night sky illuminates the floor as it pours through the window. I walk over and look outside. There are no footprints and no wolf. Sighing I continue on to bed. I go through my door and take off my shirt, carelessly throwing it somewhere on the floor. I can't really concentrate as fatigue sets in. I fall onto my bed and let the darkness consume my mind.

I wonder where the wolf is...

My head springs up in sweat. I look around my room seeing nothing out of the ordinary. Then my gaze lingers on my window. I get out of bed and walk over toward it. With each hand I grab the curtains and go to close them, when I notice the bandage on my arm. It wasn't a dream after all. This made me ponder as I look out my window, into the night. The moon is still out and standing in front of the woods is the lone wolf. Our eyes meet again and a seeming understanding passes between us. The wolf arches his neck and gives a long howl into the night. He lowers his head and looks at me again. I look right back at him. Then the wolf turns his head to look at the woods and then back at me. I watch as the wolf makes his way into the woods, into the lonely world.

The wolf and I are the same.

THE END