Fan Fiction ❯ The Misadventures of Tsuki and Nikko ❯ 1. Brownies ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Episode 1: The Brownies
"He’s gone! I’m bored! Nothing to do!" screamed Tsuki Yammamato, a solid-framed brown-eyed girl of 19. She slumped into the extra chair sitting in front of the study desk in the computer room.
"And that would be because a certain Taiyou Kobayashi is gone. Am I right?" said Nikko Nakata, her focus not wavering from the screen. She heard Tsuki complain about her boyfriend all the time, and frankly, she would much rather chat with her friends in Tokyo.
Nikko is slightly older than Tsuki at 20 years old. However, she acts like she is about 12. Nikko has a solid frame, green eyes, and dark brown wiry hair that refuses to cooperate. Tsuki has lighter brown hair that curls in places you didn’t think possible. They live together in a small flat in Kobe, about a mile from the college they’re attending. They’ve been best friends for as long as they can remember, and are often accused of being sisters, to which they reply "Of course!"
"Yes. I can’t believe he went on vacation for a whole week! I won’t see him for a whole 7 days! That’s 168 hours! 10,080 minutes! 604,800 seconds!" said Tsuki dramatically putting her hand on her forehead.
"Oi. There has to be something else for you to do other than sit there and mess with my calculator! He’s only been gone since yesterday! You can’t be this miserable already… It’s Saturday… You’re not allowed to be miserable on Saturday! Why don’t you go make brownies? That way you can quit the pitiful act you have going."
"Because I just made some a few days ago. I may go eat one though," Tsuki said before slinking off into the kitchen. Nikko tensed up in anticipation.
A monstrous voice came from the kitchen. "NIKKO! WHERE ARE THE BROWNIES I MADE?"
Nikko cringed. "Is that you Tsuki? Or is that a storm cloud?" she asked as she heard thunderous footsteps coming down the hall.
Tsuki appeared in the doorway to the computer room. She could have passed for the creature from the Black Lagoon—her hair was all out of place, and her facial expressions were all askew.
"I’m going to call my realtor about this. I don’t remember buying swamp-land infested with demons," she said as she managed to duck a UFP (unidentified flying pillow).
"Nikko," Tsuki said sweetly and vehemently at the same time, "where are all the brownies? If I find that your monster ate my last brownie, I promise that there will be no mercy for the thing."
Tsuki had cornered Nikko in the computer room, forcing her to retreat to the living room where she now hid fearfully behind their couch that looked like it had come straight out of the seventies, but who was complaining? It had been a cheap buy.
"My poor puppy didn’t eat your last brownie… I did," she said, cowering in fear from her hiding spot.
"So you were the one who ate that last brownie! That was supposed to be for me! I bake brownies, and then you eat them all! I get no respect! None at all! I’m going to bake a whole batch of brownies and if you or your monster touch even one of my brownies, I promise you’ll pay!" exclaimed Tsuki rounding on Nikko.
"So you’re not going to kill me?"
"No, I’m sorry. I just miss Taiyou is all. I’m also not pleased about the brownie ordeal though," she said, calming down a bit, realizing there was nothing she could do to change the past.
"Well, now you’ve got something to do. That is unless you’d like me to go and make them," said Nikko coolly remembering the last time she had decided to make brownies.
"No!" Tsuki screeched. "The last time you decided to cook we were cleaning up brownie mess for weeks. All because you were lazy and refused to step away from the computer for more than five minutes. Would it have been so bad to let me use the computer for a while?"
"You’re an electronical jinx… I wanted my precious computer to be in one piece when I came back!"
"Yeah, but you had to cook them in the microwave! Read the box! If it’s possible to cook something in the microwave, it will have directions for the microwave on the box! If it only has directions for the oven, then that’s how you have to cook it! That’s why I banned you from the kitchen, remember? I’ll cook the brownies… you go back to the computer room and do whatever it is you do in there, though I’ll never completely understand how it works," Tsuki proclaimed.
Nikko stifled a laugh. She had been planning this for a while. Even if it was just to stop her best friend from going on about Taiyou being gone and not calling her. "So," she said, "are you going to go and make brownies or what?"
"Yeah. Yeah. I’m going," grumbled Tsuki as she left the living room.
"I feel so bad for doing that. But I was really getting tired of listening to all of the boyfriend problems. Ah well… the pains I have to go through to get peace," thought Nikko as she got out from behind the couch and headed to the computer room.
About an hour later, Nikko was jolted from the computer room by a shrill screech coming from the kitchen. Curious as to what it was, but also knowing that it was something that Tsuki had done wrong (it was either that or a burglar was in the house…in which case Nikko chose the former), Nikko rushed down the hall.
The green-eyed girl stepped into the kitchen to be greeted with Tsuki curled into a ball on the floor. She was cradling her hand and howling in pain. Nikko raced to her friend’s side and asked what had happened.
Tsuki scowled at the oven. "It doesn’t like me."
"What doesn’t like you?"
"The oven. I think I’m going to have to resort the burnt offering in order to get some decent food out of it."
"I thought it was the printer that took the burnt offering."
"Well, then I guess we have to give it your blood."
"WHAT?! MY BLOOD!? You’ve got to be joking."
"Of course I’m joking. I’m not that mean."
Nikko breathed a huge sigh of relief. "Then what are we going to use."
"Your monster."
Nikko looked hurt. "My puppy doesn’t deserve that… He’s a sweet puppy."
Tsuki rolled her eyes. "And I’m the queen of England."
"Well, your <I>majesty</I>…" Nikko said taking a dramatic bow.
"Go and find a fire extinguisher. Either that or a chunk of Antarctica."
"Right, and where would I get a chunk of Antarctica?"
"Duh. From the South Pole.
"Oi. I’ll go find the fire extinguisher. But what is it for?"
"It cools the oven down so that it doesn’t burn me again."
"Ah! So that’s what happened."
"Yup," said Tsuki.
"I told you that all electronics hate you!"
"Just shut your piehole and get the pan out of the oven."
Nikko carefully opened the oven door, allowing the black smoke to billow out.
"You didn’t turn the oven off after it burned you, did you?"
"And touch the demented hunk of metal? No thank you!"
"I’m afraid to see what’s left of your cooking," Nikko said, cowering in front of the open oven door. After the smoke cleared, she put on a pair of hot mitts and held up her hands. "See, if you had used these, you wouldn’t have gotten burned." Tsuki just looked up from babying her hand and glared at Nikko. Nikko reached into the oven and removed the dish. She set it down on top of the stove and stared at it for a full minute.
"What’s wrong? Are you waiting for it to jump you and steal your money?" asked Tsuki from her huddled form on the floor.
"No, I’m sure it’s dead… Nothing that charred could be alive. I’m trying to figure out what it is."
Tsuki looked up and stuck her tongue out at Nikko. "Well, you TOLD me to cook brownies."
"Yeah, I know. That’s why I’m trying to figure out why you decided to cook something else," Nikko retorted just before running for her life.