Fan Fiction ❯ The Reawakening ❯ The Reawakening ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

The Reawakening

The purple lightning crashed, brightening the black skies and the dark clouds. The sea roared with both fury and hatred. The waves ripped and tore at the brittle wood of a small ship as it rocked violently on the unsteady ocean. The wind howled and moaned as it whipped through what was left of the shredded sail of the tattered ship. The freezing rain pattered down upon the deck of the ship.

Those who were still on the deck of the ship and able to help, assisted the captain in keeping whatever was left on the boat from being taken by either the merciless wind or the raging waters. The aging captain watched in horror as his crewmen were swept away by the fearsome strength of the storm like weightless rag dolls. He shut his pale gray-blue eyes to the terror they were experiencing. All that he could do now was hope that somehow the men who were thrown overboard would be spared from the sea's disgust for trespassers.

A small boy, about the age of fourteen slowly stepped outside of the warm cabin that he had been safely kept in and was almost blown off of the deck himself by a strong gust of wind. His fine golden hair was whipped about by the invisible power of the storm. The young boy's sapphire-green eyes widened at the sight of his once beautiful ship. It was crumbling apart like sand as it unwillingly bowed to the mighty storm.

The boy stood transfixed as he glanced about the deck. The rain splattered across his face as he realized that very few crewmen were left. Suddenly a second boy came staggering out of the same safe cabin that the first had come out of. This boy was much smaller than the first and barely past the age of seven. He too had fine golden hair, but unlike his older brother, the younger boy had emerald-blue eyes.

The frail boy quickly ran to his older brother's side, clutching his left leg so as not to be blown away by the storm. The elder boy glanced down at his younger brother as if to warn him to go back inside where it was safe. The smaller boy refused to move and tightened his grip around his older brother.

"Captain! What is going on?!" yelled the older boy to the fearless leader of the ship. His green eyes shined brightly with every flash of lightning. His hair swished violently against his face and he quickly brushed it away.

The wise captain quickly spun around to face the voice that called to him. His widened gray eyes reflected his fear as he stood staring at the two boys. "Nothing that we can't handle!" yelled the old captain as the wind blew tiny bits of his fine, silvery-white hair into his wrinkling face and eyes. The two boys remained paralyzed at the sight of their ship. The kind, old captain's fear turned to worry as he stared at the frozen boys. "Please young sirs, go back inside where it is safe! It is extremely dangerous out here! Go back inside!" he pleaded as a gust of wind lifted a piece of the ship up and thrust it vengefully at the brave captain. He barely managed to dodge the possessed piece of wood as it flew passed him and out of sight.

The lightning cracked and sparked as it struck the tall mast of the proud ship, causing it to come crashing to the deck.

"Captain!" the oldest boy screamed, rain water poured down his face as the towering mast landed six feet away from the old man who was once the leader of a very fine ship. Who would have known that the sea an hour ago allowed the ship to gracefully rock back and forth on its gentle waves as it sailed to a far off kingdom? But not anymore. The jealous sea grew angry and turned the boat into a ragged ghost ship in no more than an hour. Half of the crewmen were lost to the ocean's anger and now it was coming back for the rest. The pitch-black clouds moved in closer and closer. Soon they would be surrounding the entire ship in a mass of suffocating darkness.

"Get back inside!" The purple lightning flashed as the captain ordered the boys back into the cabin where they had been safe.

Before anything could be done. Before anyone knew what had happened, a furious wave rose above the shielding sides of the ship and came crashing down upon the deck and all who stood there.

The aged captain wearily lifted himself to his feet after having been knocked down by the great power of the tsunami. Small droplets of water ran down his wrinkling face as he quickly shifted his gaze to where the two boys should have been, huddled together from the terrifying storm. They were gone. The two boys no longer stood on the deck of the ship.

Afraid of the truth, the frightened captain squeezed his watery gray eyes shut, hopping that what he had seen was just his imagination and when he opened them again the boys would still be standing there.

His imagination had played him true and when he opened his eyes the two boys were still missing. They had been taken, taken by the heartless storm. The hopeless and tired captain fell to his knees. The storm had won. It had taken the two most precious things from the captain and from the ship. He raised his head to the sky and cursed the unforgiving power of the ocean. Tears streamed down his aging face and the wind ripped and tore at his fine white hair as he declared his hatred of the insatiable selfishness of the sea.

"NO!" yelled a young man with fine golden hair as he thrust himself out of the dream that he had been experiencing. He squeezed his eyes tightly together as he saw flashes of the hideous nightmare. Small drops of sweat ran down his young white face. He slowly opened his eyes and glanced around the dark room to make sure that he hadn't woken up his younger brother, who still lay sound asleep. "The same dream… What does it mean?" His sapphire-green eyes shined brightly as he thought to himself about his vivid dream in the blackest of night.