Fan Fiction ❯ The Sorrows of Tomorrow ❯ Hopeful Reverie ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Sorrows of Tomorrow

Summary: Trouble brews deep in the heart of Mirkwood and Rhun the darkness thickens. Friends will be pitted against each other and only hope can save them.

Chapter 5: Hopeful Reverie

~

The blond elf lay in the tree branches and looked at the sky. It was a cloudy night and he could barely make out anything. Only a few stars twinkled and the moon barely shone. They had finally arrived near the border of Mirkwood a few days ago and so far nothing had appeared. It had been quiet so far but he felt that soon something was going to happen. The trees whispered of an old darkness coming back to the forest and it felt foul. He could sense his patrol nearby and knew it was safe for the moment. Pushing his troubling thoughts aside for later, Legolas slipped into reverie.

The water was so clear and shimmered in the noontime sun. Butterflies fluttered in the meadows and the flowers smelled divine. Legolas gazed around and for the first time felt something inside of sigh peacefully.

"It is good to see you so relaxed my friend."

That voice! Turning around, Legolas gasped in shock and fell to his knees. His companion smiled in humor and knelt next to him.

"Is it that much of a shock for you to see me my friend?" Estel inquired.

Reaching out the elf hesitantly touched the boy and felt warm skin. Legolas gasped and quickly grabbed the boy in a fierce embrace.

"Estel! How can this be?"

The boy returned the hug and closed his eyes. He felt the elf tremble in his grip and stroked his hair soothingly.

"By the power of the Valar and Lord Mandos."

Legolas stiffened in surprise and jerked back. Gazing up into compassionate silver eyes, he knew it was the truth and yet it was unbelievable. And at the same time he could care less because the human was here and they were together again.

Estel watched the varying emotions and his friend's face. He knew the elf had many questions but he couldn't answer them.

"I know you have so many questions my friend but I cannot answer them now." Seeing Legolas about to speak, Estel gently placed a finger on his lips. "All will be revealed in good time my friend just be patient."

Legolas shook his head and looked at him in sorrow. "How can I be patient when this dream will fade and I will be alone again?"

"You won't be my friend." Seeing the puzzled look, Estel smiled reassuringly. "I promise we will meet again and it will be soon."

Confusion shown in the clear blue eyes and Estel laughed. Legolas just shook his in exasperation, the mortal was still annoying as ever.

"I do not understand."

"Don't worry my friend you will."

Legolas was about to ask what that meant but Estel shook his head. "It is time for you to leave my friend. It looks like you are needed."

Legolas jerked awake and shook his head. His reverie had been strange and confusing. For the life of him he could remember anything except he and Estel were to meet again. How or why didn't matter, all that mattered was seeing his friend again. Excitement surged through him and he wanted to laugh in glee. Hearing his name, he pushed theses thoughts away but couldn't help grinning. Standing up, he glanced down and noticed one of his scouts had returned. Legolas swung down from the tree and landed on the ground. The she-elf was almost jumping in excitement and for a moment he wondered how old she was.

"What is it Yeldena?"

"We have spotted Orcs entering the border."

Legolas's blue eyes glowed with suppressed excitement. "Is the human with them?"

Yeldena shook her head. "I did not see any human but Orcs my lord."

"Keep an eye of them then and let me know what they are doing. If you see a human then inform me quickly."

He watched as she bowed and disappeared into the forest. Legolas wondered when the human would appear. It was crucial that he find out who this human was and the lady he served. And yet for some reason it did not bother him or make him angry. Perhaps it was the dream of Estel and the hope it left in his heart. Whatever the reason he would hold on to it and hope for the best.

~

Seagulls flew overhead and the waves crashed on the beach. The elf smiled in pleasure and sighed in contentment. It had been a longtime since he had a peaceful reverie and he would savior every moment.

"Ada?"

The beloved voice was familiar and yet he was afraid to turn around. Afraid that if he did then that voice would vanish and he would loose him again.

"Ada please won't you turn around and face me?" the voice whispered sorrowfully.

Taking a deep breath, Elrond turned around and gazed at his human son. Estel looked just like he did before he died and he was glad. The boy was regarding him with happiness and in the next moment he held him. It felt good to have his youngest in his arms again and he never wanted to let go.

"I am truly sorry Ada."

Kissing Estel's forehead, he regarded him thoughtfully. "Why is that ion nin?"

"Because I had to leave you so soon."

Elrond shook his head and was about to speak but Estel silenced him with his finger.

"I know what you are going to say Ada." Estel chuckled at his look. "But I am running out of time and need to tell you something."

Now that he thought about it, it was a bit odd that Estel was here in his reverie and it did feel a bit too real.

"How are you here in my reverie Estel? And what do you mean"

"It is because of Lord Mandos and the other Valarian, ada. I only have this chance to tell you that I will see you once again."

Elrond gazed down at his son in confusion and Estel smiled in response. "Do not worry Ada all will be revealed soon and hopefully we will meet soon. Trust in Galadriel and Mithrandir, ada. They will aid you when the time is right."

His son began to fade and he tried to reach him. The dreamscape slowly faded away and he knew he was waking up. Anxiety filled him.

"Estel?"

"Do not worry Ada we will meet again and I love you……"

~

The room was dark and all was quiet. A breeze gently blew the curtains aside and moonlight spilled into the room. The quiet was shattered by the pitiful moan from the bed. Sitting up suddenly, Elrond gazed around the room and blinked. Resting his chin on his palm, he thought about his reverie and Estel. The boy had left him a message and it puzzled him. He wondered how he would meet his son when mortals were rarely ever reborn and not many had there previous memories. And how was Galadriel and Mithrandir going to aid him? Smiling for the first time in weeks he shrugged theses thoughts aside. It didn't matter how he met Estel, just as long as he was returned to his family was all that mattered. A knock sounded at his door and it opened. The twins poked there heads in and gazed at him worriedly.

"Are you alright ada?" Elrohir stepped over to the bed and gazed down at him in concern.

Elladan stopped behind him. "We thought we heard you cry out."

Elrond shook his head and smiled at his sons. Reaching up he pulled them both into a hug and felt them return it.

"Everything is alright my sons."

The twins looked at each other and shrugged at there fathers good mood. It was the first time he had been this way in a long while and they were glad.

"Then we will take out leave and see you in the morning." Elladan replied.

Wishing there father a good night, the twins left and headed back to there room. Elrond watched them go and got out of the bed. Walking over to the balcony, he leaned against it and looked up at the stars. He would journey to Lothlorien tomorrow and hopefully find out all he needed from Galadriel. Perhaps then he could find out what was truly going on and maybe she could help him figure out what his son meant.

~

TBC

Sorry its all almost dream sequence but for some reason I had to add it. Hmm things are starting to move along pretty well and aww to angst. Selamant and Legolas meet next chapter and things do not go so well.