Fan Fiction ❯ The Sorrows of Tomorrow ❯ Injuries and Reflections ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Sorrows of Tomorrow

Summary: Trouble brews deep in the heart of Mirkwood and Rhun the darkness thickens. Friends will be pitted against each other and only hope can save them.

Chapter 7: Injuries and Reflections

~

The elves scanned the ground and Telindel cursed angrily. If only they hadn't listened to the prince then perhaps this wouldn't have happened. Orcs tracks were everywhere and so was the human's. It looked like Legolas had found the mortal but so had trouble.

"Telindel?"

Turning around he gazed at one of his scouts. "What is it Yeldena?"

She smiled at the captain sympathetically. "Do not worry Telindel we will find the prince."

The captain shook his head in annoyance. "The next time I see that prince I think I will lock him away for the next millennia."

A scout's cry stopped there conversation and all eyes turned to the sound. An elf was kneeling next to the river and was holding something. Rushing over to him, Telindel looked at the elf and then gasped. In his hands rested a bloody arrow and a torn green tunic.

"Its Legolas's isn't it?" Yeldena asked worriedly.

"Yes it is."

Closing his eyes for a moment the captain wondered why he had to be the one assigned to the prince. The elf seemed to attract trouble and couldn't keep out of it either. Perhaps it was time to sail for the Undying Lands were hopefully the prince would not go there for maybe a hundred years or more? Shaking theses thoughts aside, he had to send word to the king and also track the Orcs.

"Esendal!"

"Yes?"

"I want you to inform the king what has happened and that we will rescue the prince." Telindel watched the elf nodded and rush off. He turned and gazed at the other elves. "Pack up everything. We leave in a few minutes."

The other elves rushed off to obey and he sighed. Hopefully they would find the prince in time and nothing would happen to him. But somehow he doubted that and that's what worried him the most.

~

The woods of Mirkwood soon thinned out and they were once more out in the open plains. Relieved sighs swept through out the Orcish party and yet two were not. One of them was unconscious and the other could care either way. Selamant walked in the middle of the group and glanced at his patient. Blond hair tumbled over an Orcish back and a white bandage stood out starkly against his pale skin. The elf was draped over one of the Orcs and had yet to regain consciousness. Luckily the arrow hadn't hit anything vital and was not poisoned. His left shoulder was going to hurt for a few days but would heal quickly. Glancing down at his pack, he pulled the twin knives from it and looked at them curiously. The handles were smooth from much use and well taken care of.

For a moment he could picture the elf sitting before a fire and sharpening the twin knives. Raising them up, the blades would flash and reflect the firelight. The elf would then turn and look at him for a moment before smiling in glee. Then the prince would speak his name and he could almost hear it.

"Selamant!" Groto called angrily.

Selamant almost jumped in surprise and looked at the Orc in confusion. The vision had been so real that he almost thought he was there. Groto was glaring at him once again and he sighed in irritation. Every time he almost had his thoughts straightened out then that foul Orc would interrupt them. It was starting to get on his nerves and he wished he could kill him.

"What is it Groto?"

"I want you to scout on ahead and make sure the way is clear."

Groto was looking way to smug and he wanted to argue. For a moment he was tempted to but decided against it. At least for a brief while he would be free of the Orc and wouldn't have to deal with him. He glanced at the elf for a moment and wondered if he should leave. The Orcs were not kind to any of the first born and hated them with a passion.

"Do not worry we will not hurt your precious elf." Groto said sarcastically. He watched as Selamant flushed in anger and heard the other Orcs chuckle. The boy glared at him once and then stalked away. He waited until the boy was long gone and then strode over to the elf. Reaching over, he grasped the prince's chin and slapped him hard. He could hear the other Orcs growl in pleasure and smiled. The journey so far had been a bit boring and now it was time for them to have a little fun. It would be enjoyable to hurt the elf and to torment him. The lady had only said to bring him back alive but not uninjured.

"Time to wake up little elf!"

Everything was black and so soothing to Legolas. He could feel no pain or anything for that matter. But that soon changed with quickness. Pain radiated from his cheek and snapped him to consciousness. Letting out a moan, Legolas blinked and gazed at his tormentor. An ugly Orc face was near his and he wanted to close his eyes. A thought ran across his mind and he wondered where the human was. The last thing he remembered was looking up at the boy and then nothingness. Maybe the human had been killed after he lost consciousness or was captured liked him? Another hard smack to the cheek broke his thoughts and had him snapping his eyes open and he glared at the Orc.

Groto grinned in glee as the elf looked at him in anger and he let out a laugh. Motioning to the Orc, he watched as the elf was dropped to the ground and let out a groan. Legolas had landed on his injured shoulder and could feel it throbbing in pain. Blood was starting to stain the bandage and he knew that the wound had reopened. Reaching forward, Groto grabbed his blond hair and pulled him up. Legolas stumbled to his feet and panted. The Orc was grinning way too happily and he knew it didn't bode well for him.

Groto smiled in satisfaction. "And now the fun begins!"

Before Legolas could wonder what this meant, one of the Orcs slammed his foot into his back. He quickly lost his balance and fell to the ground again. Soon the other Orcs joined in and began to beat the elf. Trying to curl into a ball, Legolas tried to valiantly protect his head but his shoulder was stopping him. The agony was unbearable and not really thinking he let out a scream.

"Estel!"

~

Lord Elrond paused on ridge and gazed below. Imladris glittered like a jewel in the early morning light. It was a beacon of peace to all travelers and for a moment he didn't want to leave it. He was unsure if it was safe to leave Erestor and Glorfindel in charge. Those two would get into a lot of mischief together although granted they should be able to handle it for about a week. Glorfindel had been grinning a bit too widely and Erestor didn't look to happy. The more he thought about it the more he wondered if it was a good idea to leave those two in charge.

"Estel!"

Eyes widening in surprise Elrond froze and gazed around. The voice had been in agony and so anguished. For a moment he could have sworn he heard someone calling his mortal son's name but that was impossible. His twin sons were chattering up ahead and know one else was around.

Elrohir stopped his horse and gazed at his father. Elrond had a bewildered expression and he wondered what was up. He glanced at his twin and could tell he didn't know what was wrong either.

"Ada?"

Shaking his head at those thoughts, Elrond turned around and looked at the twins. He could see the worried expressions and smiled in reassurance. Perhaps it was just the wind or wishful thinking from his dreams. Whatever it was, it was best to forget it and let it go for now. He nudged his horse and quickly caught up with the twins.

Elladan gazed worriedly at his father. "Ada are you alright? You seemed out of it for a moment."

Elrond stopped his horse next to his eldest and nodded. "I am fine. Just a bit worried about leaving Glorfindel and Erestor in charge is all."

"Yes those two can get into so much mischief when left alone for to long." Elrohir replied teasingly.

Elladan grinned at his twin. "Too true. Do you remember the time when Ada and Nana left us in there care for a few weeks when we were little? I think it was to just spend a few days alone together."

"Yes I do and it was a riot." Elrohir chuckled.

"I seem to recall that you two were getting into a lot of trouble then. Weren't you two playing pranks on every elf? By the time we returned they were a bit frazzled and ready to kill you." Elrond smirked at the guilty expressions shot his way. He listened as the twins defended themselves good naturedly and shook his head.

"But it was all in fun ada."

"And everyone found it humorous."

"Much later. Even though if I remember Celebrian made you two help everyone in Imladris for a few weeks." Elrond laughed.

The twins had the grace to blush and then grinned widely. It was good to see that his sons didn't flinch as much when they heard there mother's name spoken anymore. It was all thanks to Estel who had come to them after losing his mother at an early age. Estel had been such a loving child and had helped the twins heal from there grief. And he hoped that what Estel said in the reverie would come true and they would meet again. It just wasn't the same without him being in there family anymore and they all missed him dearly. Hopefully they would reach Lothlorien in a about a few days and in one piece. And yet he still couldn't shake that pain filled voice or his son's name out of his head. The voice had been too familiar and he wished he knew who's it was or if it was just the wind.

~

Selamant stood on a hill and gazed as far as his eyes could see. There was nothing for miles around and he saw only a few trees and lots of grass. The wind blew his hair back and for a moment he thought he could hear singing. A shrill cry overhead had him looking up into the blue sky and he could see a bird. Closing his eyes, he felt himself relax and opened up his senses. The sun shown warmly done on him and he smiled. It was soothing being away from the Orcs and there foul presences. The longer he was around them the more vile and evil he felt. Of course he wasn't exactly perfect himself but he wasn't as cruel as they were. It ran across his mind again as to why he stayed with the lady or served her. Perhaps it was because she had save his life or that he had nothing else to do. He truly had no memories of his past and still didn't. All he knew was that when he woke up in great pain, the lady was there and nursed him back to health. She had been so kind and caring then, but that had soon changed. Once he had been back on his feet the cloaked one had come and things had changed. She had become cold and cruel over night. He sometimes wondered if she had always been that way or maybe he had been too blind to notice it. As time went on he had been integrated into her service and had promised to obey her every command. He was allowed to do what he pleased and free to come and go. A lot of the things that the lady did he wasn't too fond of but he had no true objections. But ever since he had met the elf, he wondered what his past was like and who he once was. The elf seemed truly familiar to him the longer he was around and he wondered if he had once been friends with an elf? Whatever the reason, perhaps now it was time to leave her services and find out. A sudden scream echoed throughout the plains and he froze.

"Estel!"

That name again. It felt familiar once more and it awoke something inside of him. Something that felt cherished and a longing filled him. Turning around, he quickly raced through the trees and the tall grass. The voice had been filled with such agony and despair. It had to be the elf. Sliding to a halt, he panted for a breath and gazed at the scene before him. The Orcs were gathered around something and were laughing. He could here tormented cries and his silver eyes narrowed in rage.

"What is the meaning of this?"

He watched as the Orcs froze and turned to face him. Pulling out his sword, it made a ringing sound and he gripped the pommel. Stepping forward, he watched as the Orcs scrambled to get out of the way. He knew that they hated him but also feared him as well. A few Orcs had learned to there sorrow to not try and mess with him. He had not been merciful when he had killed them and there deaths had been slow. The lady also favored him and to kill him meant death. Stalking forward, he watched as Groto kicked the elf and grew even angrier. The elf prince was curled into a ball and blood pooled around him. Bruises stood out on his fair skin and his wound had reopened.

Stepping forward, he quickly kicked Groto in the knees and watched him toppled over. Rushing forward he planted a foot in his chest and his sword at his throat.

Groto's eyes widened in surprise and he gazed up at the boy. He had been so far gone in his pleasure of torturing the elf that he had not heard Selamant return. The boy was glaring at him fiercely and for the first time he felt a sense of fear. Rage made the silver eyes turn to dark grey and he gulped. He had only seen the boy this way a few times after killing his foes and they had died horribly. Shoving theses thoughts aside, he gathered his courage and glared at the boy.

"What is the meaning of this?"

Selamant stiffened at that tone of voice and leaned in closer to the Orc. Making sure to prick Groto's neck a bit, he smiled in satisfaction at the trace of fear in those beady black eyes.

"The meaning of this?" He hissed angrily. "Why to stop you from tormenting and killing the elf of course. What in all of Arda were you thinking?"

The other Orcs back away even further and Groto knew he wouldn't get any help from them. Glaring up at the boy, he tried to ignore the pain from the sword but couldn't.

"We were just having a bit of fun is all, besides he still alive."

Selamant would have happily loped off Groto's head at that moment but decided not too. He would leave that up to the lady and the captain to decide.

"The lady said to bring him back in one piece and alive. I doubt she meant for him to be on death's door nor so badly beaten. Next time I catch you tormenting the elf in such a fashion then I will have to kill you."

Pricking Groto's neck a little harder, he watched more blood poor from the shallow wound and smiled cruelly. A flash of fear and hatred shown in Groto's eyes. One day he would have to kill the Orc or he would have to watch his back forever if he didn't. Standing up he quickly sheathed his sword and walked over to the elf. Kneeling down, Selamant assessed his injuries and cursed softly. Not only was he bruised but it looked like a few ribs were cracked and he had a twisted ankle. And the shoulder wound had reopened again and he bet the stitches were torn.

Turning around, he glared at the Orcs. "Someone bring me my pack, water, and build a fire. The rest of you out of my sight!"

He turned back to the elf and heard them quickly obey. Everything he asked for was brought to him and then he set to work. He quickly brewed up some tea for the pain and made a poultice as well. Cleaning the elf's many wounds caused him to wake up and twitch in pain. He watched as blue eyes slowly opened and then widened in terror. Reaching over, Selamant gently stroked the blond hair and smiled softly.

"You are safe now. I won't let them hurt you while I am around I promise."

Legolas gazed up at the boy and was unsure if he should believe him. The Orcs had been tormenting him for a time and then had stopped. He heard an argument occur and then lost consciousness. Now when he awoke the boy from earlier was hovering over him and treating his wounds. Many questions were running through his mind and he wondered who this boy was.

Selamant could see many things running through the elf's eyes and smiled reassuringly. He gently helped the elf sit up and held the cup out to him.

"This tea will take away the pain."

Legolas looked at it doubtfully and the boy smiled again. He watched as the boy took a sip of the tea and looked at him.

"It's not poisoned."

Letting out a sigh, Legolas drank the tea and tasted the herbs. Nothing in it tasted poisonous or at least he hoped. The boy helped him lay down again and he felt the tea numb his wounds. Gazing at the human, he wondered what he was doing with the Orcs but doubted he would tell him. Selamant waited until the tea took effect and began to treat the wounds. The elf was a mystery and he realized he didn't know his name.

"I was wondering what your name was master elf?"

Legolas looked at the boy and wondered if he should tell him. Selamant sigh in exasperation and wondered if all there conversations were going to be this hard. It was like trying to pull teeth or something like that. He decided to go first and see if the stubborn elf would tell him.

"My name is Selamant."

The elf gazed at the boy for a moment and then sighed. "I am Legolas."

Selamant nodded and finished treating the elf. Once that was done, he quickly put his supplies away and threw a blanket over Legolas.

"I suggest you sleep Legolas and give your wounds time to heal."

"Where are you taking me?" Legolas asked quietly. He watched as the boy gazed into the fire and then looked at him sadly.

Selamant stood up and walked a few feet away. "To Rhun to meet the lady. Now rest master elf and do not try and escape. The Orcs are nearby and will stop you if you do."

And with these words the boy disappeared into the forest and was gone. Legolas could hear movement nearby and knew it was the Orcs. The boy was a mystery to him and he was even more curious then before. Selamant had the hands of a healer and it was odd that he traveled with Orcs. His soul did not seem tainted with huge amounts of cruelty or evil. And when he had gazed into the silver eyes he had seen a lost and pain filled soul staring back at him. The longer he had looked into those silver orbs, the more he was convinced that he somehow knew him. And he wondered again if perhaps this person was indeed Estel but how was that possible? Pushing theses thoughts aside for now, he decided to rest and think about it later. Unbeknownst to him, Selamant stood in the shadows watching over him with a yearning expression reflecting in his silver eyes.

~

TBC

Aww this chapter is my longest I think and feel so proud. Elrond and the twins finally made an appearance although it is a bit short hehe. Don't worry though they will pop up again along with some others. The next chapter will be out as soon as I uh write some more on it hehe. Oh well hope everyone enjoys this chapter and review! :)