Fan Fiction ❯ The Sorrows of Tomorrow ❯ Unwanted Sympathy ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Sorrows of Tomorrow

Summary: Trouble brews deep in the heart of Mirkwood and Rhun the darkness thickens. Friends will be pitted against each other and only hope can save them.

Chapter 11: Unwanted Sympathy

The elf was dragged from the mansion and thrown out onto the wet grass. His blond hair spilled over in a disarray and he panted in pain. He lay on the ground and tried to get his bearing. The Orc Groto had stunned him a bit after his conversation with Serutia and then untied him. He knew why he had been brought outside and for what reason. The only positive thing about the whole situation was that Selamant was Estel and now he just needed to figure out how to remind him of that. The problem was that the boy probably wouldn't believe him and who could blame him. Hearing the Orcs talking nearby, he decided he needed to focus first on surviving on what was to come and then he could worry about Estel. Pushing himself up, he got to his feet and looked around. A few Orcs and humans were standing around watching, there stood Groto a few feet away. The Orc was regarding him too smugly and he hated that expression.

"Well what are you waiting for an open-ended invitation?" Legolas asked impatiently. Perhaps it wasn't to wise to antagonize the Orc but then again why not. Either way he was going to be beaten and he wasn't just going to sit there and take it.

Laughter rang out from the crowd and Groto snarled angrily. He would make the elf pay for that comment and he would suffer dearly for it.

"You are asking for it elf!"

Legolas narrowed his blue eyes and shrugged. "All I see is talk and no action!"

He was prepared as Groto lunged for him and leaped nimbly aside. Luckily his injuries had healed well enough for him to move and he thanked Selamant for that. If the human hadn't taken care of him then Groto would have caught him easily. The Orc snarled angrily and lashed out with his fist. Legolas ducked under the intended blow and kicked out with his foot. It caught the Orc in the jaw and he followed it with another punch to the midsection. Groto let out a grunt of pain and fell to the ground. Panting softly, he backed up some and continued to watch the Orc. The battle was far from over and he had to be cautious. Cheers were shouted through out the crowd and bets were floating around.

"What is the meaning of this?" Feun shouted angrily.

The crowd grew silent and shrunk under the captain's threatening gaze. Turning his gaze to Legolas and Groto, Feun wanted to sigh in frustration. All Groto had been order to do was punish the elf but no he had to try and beat him up first. Normally that wouldn't have bothered him so much if the orders had not come from the lady herself. If her orders were not carried out the way she wanted them then someone's head would roll and it sure wasn't going to be him.

"I asked what the meaning of this is Groto?"

"Just having a bit of fun captain." Groto replied weakly.

Legolas watched as the Orc and Ura-kai conversed and was intrigued. It seemed that everyone was afraid of this captain and especially Groto. He wondered what the Ura-kai had done to inspire so much fear from them.

Feun bared his teeth and watched Groto shrink in front of him. "Fun? This isn't fun and games Groto. If the lady comes to me and wonders why the elf hasn't been punished then I will truly show you fun."

He clubbed the big oaf over the head and kicked him in the ribs. Groto groaned in pain and he hoped he broke a few ribs. Maybe this would teach him a lesson on how to obey orders and not screw around. Now all he had left to do was to punish the elf.

The prince tensed when Feun's gaze turned and assessed him. He didn't even struggle when his arms were gripped bruisingly by the Orcs behind him. The look in the captain's eyes had promised an agony unending if he tried to struggle now and he didn't want that. Feun's eyes had held something dark and sinister. It made the prince wonder just what had happened to the Ura-kai to cause this. Legolas let out a sigh of relief when the captain turned his gaze back to Groto.

"I will be the one to punish the elf since you cannot even do it properly." Feun said harshly. He watched as Groto opened his mouth and then snapped it shut. It was wise he didn't or otherwise he would have killed him without any hesitation.

Legolas was led over to a group of trees and his arms stretched and tied between them. He gripped the rope tightly and closed his eyes. They ripped his tunic off him and he knew they would begin soon. Footsteps came closer and stopped right in front of him. Opening his eyes, he gazed up at captain who towered over him. The look in those eyes caused him to shiver and yet he couldn't look away. The black eyes were cold and filled with malicious. Now he understood Selamant's warning about Feun and he shivered in fear.

"You were wise not to struggle earlier elf." Feun spoke darkly. "Otherwise your punishment might be more painful then the beatings of a whip."

The captain tightened his grip on the handle and smiled. Legolas averted his gaze and heard Feun walk behind him. He quickly shut his eyes and braced himself. The whip sang through the air and landed lightly on his back. It stung slightly but he knew it would get worse. The next few hits began to hurt badly and blood poured from his wounds. Each lash of the whip came harder and he it was difficult to control his breathing. He could feel his wounds pulsing in agony and couldn't contain it any longer. Throwing back his head he began to scream uncontrollably and distantly heard the captain laugh in satisfaction. Soon everything blurred together and all Legolas could feel was pain.

~

A chill wind swept through the meadow and rippled the pond's surface. The wind disturbed the human's long white hair and he pushed it back impatiently. Sometimes having long hair was such a nuisance and for the hundredth time he wondered if he should cut it. Pulling a few strands forward he looked at it for a moment and shook his head, probably not. Different thoughts ran through his mind and he sighed sadly. The elf Legolas dominated his thoughts the most and it caused him to worry. Serutia's plans were starting to come true and that didn't bode to well for the prince. He still didn't know what her true plans were after she had the king but he doubted they were good. One thing was for certain that neither Legolas nor the king would ever leave Rhun alive. Raising a hand he gripped his hair and shook his head. He still didn't understand why he even cared about the elf's well being or protected him from Groto. All his loyalty and thoughts should lay with Serutia and not with an elf he barely knew. But for some reason the elf inspired a sense of loyalty and some sort of trust. The longer he was around Legolas, the more he wanted to learn and know the elf. It was very confusing and he wondered again if had been friends with an elf. Another memory surged through his mind and he closed his eyes.

~~

Twin elves with long black hair stood bickering good naturedly over a dead deer. An arrow stuck out of it and they were arguing who killed it. Another elf with blond hair came forward and claimed that he did it. This probably would have continued for a long time if the blond elf didn't turn and look at him.

"Estel who do you think shot first?"

The twins turned and looked at him as well. All of this was eerily familiar and he knew who they were. And the name rang a bell deep in his soul and he felt warmth flood his entire being. Something inside called to him and he wanted to answer so badly.

~~

The memory shattered into a million pieces and he almost cried at the loss. He had almost remembered something important and it had been ripped away. Cursing angrily he felt tears slide down his cheeks and slammed his fist into the ground. No matter how many times he would have flash backs of his fractured memories, he would never remember them upon awakening. It was slowly tearing him apart and he feared that he would never remember. A shiver went through his body and he knew something was wrong. An agonized scream echoed throughout the forest and his eyes widened in alarm. Snapping his head up, he listened intently and lunged to his feet. That scream sounded like Legolas and he was in horrible pain. Selamant raced through the woods and headed towards the mansion. Seeing the crowd up ahead, terror squeezed his heart and he forced himself through the crowd. Orcs glared at him angrily but then moved out of his way in fear. The site before him caused more tears to appear in his eyes but he blinked them away.

Legolas dangled from his bound wrist and appeared unconscious. His back had been ripped open by whip lashes and blood was everywhere. It was a sickening and sad sight to see. He watched as Feun brought the whip up to his mouth and licked it. Disgust filled him and he narrowed his eyes. A terrible rage filled him and he took a deep breath. Confusion flashed in his silver eyes and he looked at the ground. Why did he feel anything for Legolas when he had seen previous beings in the same position? Why did he care about the elf at all? It was so frustrating that he wanted to scream to the heavens.

"You Selamant!" Feun yelled.

He snapped his head up and looked at the captain. Cruelty blazed in those black eyes and a hint of madness as well. It was never good to not answer the captain and those that didn't were not around anymore.

"Yes captain Feun?"

"Attend to the prisoner and make sure he lives."

Selamant nodded and rushed passed the Ura-kai. He could feel those eyes watching him but didn't look directly at him. If he did then he knew Feun would see what was in his eyes and that didn't bode well. Approaching Legolas, he looked at his many wounds and sighed. It would take hours to heal the elf and many bandages as well. The elf would be in pain for days and he hoped he wouldn't develop any infections. Stepping forward, he took out a knife and cut the ropes. He caught the elf as he was about to fall and heard him cry out in pain. A sense of guilt filled him and he whispered an apology. Picking the elf up into his arms, he walked through the crowd of Orcs and headed for the mansion. It didn't surprise him to much when Groto stepped into his path. The Orc looked extremely pissed and from the bruises he wondered if Feun had done it.

"What do you want Groto?"

The Orc glared at him angrily and he cocked an eyebrow. He didn't have time for the Groto's games and needed to treat Legolas immediately.

"Want mortal? Why to kill the elf and you as well." Groto hissed angrily.

Selamant laughed mockingly. "That is not likely to happen anytime soon and you will be the one dead. Now if you will excuse me from this oh so fun conversation I have a patient to attend too."

He quickly walked passed the Orc and ignored him. It looked like there far off battle was coming sooner then he thought and he smiled grimly. And when they did fight he would relish every moment and scream coming from Groto.

~

The lady looked out of the window and watched the commotion below. She wasn't to surprised that Feun had taken over the punishment for Legolas. Groto had seemed a bit too eager to do it and had screwed up royally. She would have to remember to punish the Orc in someway and make sure it was painful. What surprised her was the gentle way that Selamant helped and cared for the elf. It appeared that he had taken a liking to the elf and that didn't bode well.

"He will have to be watched more closely now Serutia." The cloaked one spoke quietly next to her.

"Yes." She replied "Even though his mind doesn't remember the past it doesn't stop his heart from remembering his love for the elves."

"Tis true but he could regain all his memories at anytime as well."

She nodded in agreement and watched the boy walk away from Groto. Yes she would have to keep a closer eye on the boy and the elf. Selamant might have been resurrected by them but that didn't mean undying loyalty. It had been a plus that he had no memories of the past and they could shape him in anyway they wanted. The boy was loyal to her for taking care of him during his time of need but that could change. If he ever got his memory back then his loyalty would be no more and then he would truly be the enemy. It was too bad though if that came to pass because she was fond of Selamant. He followed orders so well and did have sound advice. No matter what though if he interfered with her plans for the king and prince, then he would need to die.

"I will remind Feun to have the others watch him more closely."

The wizard watched her from under his hood and smiled. It looked like all the pieces were coming to play and things would get interesting soon. Now all he needed to do was wait and watch how it turned out.

~

TBC

Finally got this chapter out even though writers block was trying to win hehe. Um sorry if its a short chapter but I just couldn't think of what else to add to it ho hum. Poor Legolas is not having that much luck lately and Selamant isn't either. Aw well more angst to come and more pain lol.