Fan Fiction ❯ The Sorrows of Tomorrow ❯ For the Love of a Son ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Sorrows of Tomorrow

Summary: Trouble brews deep in the heart of Mirkwood and Rhun the darkness thickens. Friends will be pitted against each other and only hope can save them.

Chapter 14: For the Love of a Son

~

The forest up close was eerily silent and still. No birds sung and the trees did not speak. The horses shifted nervously and could feel there riders tension. It was strange for a forest to be so still and it had to be caused by magic. Yeldena dismounted from her horse and walked over to the forest. She raised her hand and a shimmering wall formed around it. Little sparks flared around her hand and filtered away. Taking her hand away, she turned and looked at the shocked elves. The king looked at the forest curiously and was most impressed. Only those gifted strongly in magic could achieve a magic barrier and keep unwanted visitors out. It was a pressing problem and made it much more difficult to rescue his son.

Telindel shifted on his mount and gestured at the forest. "It is as I told you my liege. The forest is under some kind of enchantment, and known may enter here."

"Aye I can see that my captain and that does pose a problem."

"Not really your highness, you just have to leave your guards and step through the barrier to succeed."

Elvish bows were quickly pointed towards the speaker and the human raised a hand in peace. The man stepped closer towards them and smiled disarmingly.

"You might as well put those arrows away because they will do you know good. Nothing may pass the barrier without the lady's wishes or my own."

Esendal slipped through the guards and stopped by his king. The voice sounded familiar and he gasped in surprise.

"You are the messenger from before!"

The mortal laughed and winked at the scout. "Most prospective my friend. How else do you think we knew you were coming and planned accordingly?"

Thranduil dismounted and walked towards the barrier. He glared at the man and almost smiled in satisfaction when the mortal flinched. It appeared the man was afraid of him still and with just cause.

"Where is my son? And is he alright?"

"As alright as can be expected." The man smiled humoursly and pointed behind him. "And he is at our base camp sire and the lady is expecting you."

He was not satisfied by the response but doubted the messenger would tell him more. Turning around he faced his guards and could tell that they were not happy by the mortal's response either. They would be even more unhappy once he told them of his decision, but he had no choice. If he didn't come alone then who knows what would happen to Legolas and besides that judging by the smug mortal's look, he highly doubted that he would be aloud to bring anyone with him. His son was all he had left of his family and he wouldn't sacrifice him for anything. Perhaps it was selfish since he had a kingdom to rule but that's just the way it was.

"I am going with the mortal to find my son and have him released." Thranduil spoke quietly. He raised a hand to forestall all protest and glanced at his two captains. "If you hear nothing from me or Legolas in a few days then you must return to Mirkwood."

Telindel shook his head angrily and glared at the laughing mortal. If he could just get past that barrier the mortal would so pay for that. Getting rid of theses thoughts, he glanced at his lord and pleaded, "But my liege we cannot just let you walk in there and endanger yourself. There must be another way!"

"Yes we cannot just let you walk into the hands of the enemy and do nothing. It goes against everything we believe in and as our lord we vowed to protect you." The other captain cried passionately.

The king was moved by his captains' words and especially the nods of agreement by the other elves. He knew they spoke the truth but he had no other choice.

"No my friends there isn't. This is something I must do alone."

Thranduil smiled at his men warmly and could see there indecision. He knew that they wanted to disobey his orders but wouldn't. The loyalty they showed made him extremely glad to be a Sindar and there king. He turned around and gestured at the barrier. The mortal rolled his eyes and touched the wall. It shimmered and a portion of it vanished. Looking back at his elves for a moment, the king half bowed to them and nodded.

"Tell my advisors to rule over Mirkwood wisely if we do not return and may Elbereth watch over you."

Stepping through the shimmering wall, he felt his skin tingle and then he was through. The mortal gestured at the wall and he heard a pop. Turning around, Thranduil looked at his fellow warriors and raised a hand in farewell.

"Now if you will follow me your kingship, your son and the lady awaits."

Ignoring the sarcasm for now, Thranduil turned and followed the mortal deeper into the forest. He wondered just what Serutia had in store for him and knew it wouldn't be good. Thoughts of Legolas swept through his mind and he prayed that he was safe.

The elves watched there king disappear into the trees and were reluctant to see him go. Many of the guards dismounted and began to setup camp. They would rest here for a few days and then decide what to do. None of them truly wanted to leave there king or prince here, but knew that they didn't have a choice.

"Tis a foolish endeavor our king does is it not?" Telindel sighed loudly and shook his head. He gazed at the barrier and wished that they knew of away inside to help his king.

Esendal stood next to him and knelt in the snow. Reaching out a hand he lightly touched the barrier and grimaced when it sparked. "Aye it is but he is always like this when the prince is involved."

"Let us just hope that they both return to us safely, since there is nothing we can do should trouble arise." Yeldena replied calmly and watched her two companions nod in agreement.

~

Selamant stood gazing out the window and blinked. A strange commotion was going on down below and he wondered about it. Feun stood in the middle of the mess and appeared to be shouting orders. Orcs and humans ran around at a frantic pace, and appeared excited about something. Hearing footsteps, he turned around and watched as the door flew open. It slammed against the wall and he glared at the human. Looking at his patient, he watched as the elf stirred in his slumber but didn't awake. He was half tempted to scold the guard and then decided it wasn't worth it. The guard glanced around the room and finally looked at him.

"The lady asks for you to prepare the elf and bring him down to the courtyard, Selamant."

"Might I ask why?"

The guard sighed impatiently and shrugged. "It has something to do with the Mirkwood king coming for the elf."

Selamant nodded and watched as the human turned and left. It was terribly shocking to find out that Legolas's father had finally arrived and would soon be in the hands of Serutia. A terrible sadness briefly flashed in his silver eyes and he sighed. Walking over to the elf, he gently cupped a cheek and looked at him. Legolas was slightly flushed from the fever running through him and it was caused by his many wounds. Half his torso was covered in bandages and he basically looked like death warmed over. Sorrow entered his heart and he sat down on the edge of the bed. His old memories were not trying to assault him to much anymore but he still didn't know what to do. To grasp his old life and all that it entitled or to stay with his new one? Know matter which side he chose someone would suffer but then again he would also die if he chose the wrong one. So many choices and so little time to decided.

Looking down into the half-open blue eyes, he spoke sadly to the elf. "What would you do my friend?"

He wasn't too surprised when the unconscious elf didn't respond and stood up. Walking over to the window once more, he looked down below and watched the frantic activity. Selamant knew that soon a decision would need to be made and one that would not only affect him but perhaps those he cared for as well.

~

Humans and Orcs rushed around in frenzy, and Feun smiled in satisfaction. He stood in the center of the courtyard and watched them. For some reason the lady wanted the place looking clean and well order before the king got here. It was puzzling why you would do this for an enemy but then again elves were an odd people. Apart of him was appalled at the cleanliness but the other half was well pleased. Those under his command were following his orders without question and that's how he liked it. He heard the mansion door open and turned around. Serutia stepped out and the cloaked one was by her side. The wizard was not his favorite being but he didn't know why. It was very odd for someone who hid behind his cowl and never revealed his face. He sometimes wondered if the man was horribly scarred or had something to hide. Whatever the reason, the wizard made him leery of him more so then the lady ever would. Shaking theses thoughts aside, he turned back to the elf and half bowed.

"Everything is almost ready my lady."

The she-elf's brown eyes gleamed with an unholy glee and it made Feun shudder inside. Serutia smiled in satisfaction and nodded.

"Where is Thranduil now?"

Feun glanced over at one of his scouts who raised a hand. It looked like the elf would be arriving soon with one of the other scouts and he turned back to Serutia.

"Less then a few moments away my lady."

Serutia was not surprised when the wizard rested a hand on her shoulder and leaned closer to her. She turned and gazed at her companion in question.

"Watch the boy closely Serutia and remember our conversation. His memories might be gone but the heart will remember."

"Do you think that Thranduil's coming will trigger something?" Serutia asked worriedly.

The cloaked one shrugged his shoulders. "I do not know. If the elf Legolas coming here did not then perhaps neither will the king's. Tis best though to still have him watched."

"Very well then." Glancing over at the Uruk-hai, Serutia walked closer to him and rested a hand on his meaty arm. "Remember I want you to have Selamant watched closely and report to me if he is acting strangely."

Feun glanced at her curiously but nodded. He wondered what that meant since the boy already acted a bit odd and that was normal for him. Whatever the case he would assign a few of his spies to watch the boy and report back to him.

"And where is Selamant?" the cloaked one asked quietly.

"I have sent one of my guards to tell him to ready the elf and bring him down here."

Feun watched as the two began to whisper some more and shrugged. Whatever those two were planning he just knew he would find out sooner or later. Turning back to his warriors, he began to shout orders once more when he noticed that some of them were slacking off.

"The king is here!"

A shout ripped throughout the camp and everyone froze. Looking at the scout who raced into the yard, Feun began to shout orders again and glanced back at the lady. His people quickly disappeared and only a few guards remained. Serutia smiled at her companions and watched the king enter the courtyard.

"And so it begins and I will finally have my revenge."

~

The mortal had been getting on his nerves for a few hours or more ever since he had left his guards. His insistent chattering was bothersome and he just wouldn't shut up. What was even more depressing was that no matter how hard he tried to communicate with the trees they just wouldn't respond. It was a bit nerve racking and not normal.

"Well we are here your lordship."

Gritting his teeth, he decided to ignore the mortal's smug manor again and face what was ahead. Stepping into the courtyard, he saw his enemies and wanted to snarl. Orcs stood around the lone she-elf and a cloaked man. He took a few more steps towards them and stopped. Gazing at the she elf for a few moments, he noticed for the first time that she was beautiful but in a cold way. No laughter lit up those brown eyes and evil seemed to be infused to her very soul. Looking around he did not see his son and grew apprehensive.

"Where is my son Serutia?"

"Tsk tsk my king no greetings for one of your subjects you haven't seen in years?" she replied coyly. Cold laughter flowed from Serutia and she gestured behind her. "Your son is in the mansion and he is being well cared for."

Thranduil snorted and gazed at her in contempt. "You are not one of my subjects any longer especially since you consort with Orcs and evil men alike. Enough of this farce, I have come as you wished and wish for my son's freedom in exchange for my own."

Serutia wanted to laugh again at the king's demands and glared at him. He had no right to make demands here and only she could. How dare he tell her what to do when she held his life and his son's in the palm of her hand. She would have spoken thus if not for the door opening behind them.

"Here is your son that you oh so elegantly asked for Thranduil. Although I didn't say he would be in one piece did I?"

The king watched as the human stepped through the door and gasped. His son was cradled in the mortal's embrace and appeared unconscious. So many bandages surrounded Legolas and he was enraged. Shaking from head to toe, he glanced back up at the mortal and blinked. For the first time he really looked at the boy and felt déjà vu. No mortal ever had white hair like that unless they were aged or some kind of magic was involved. The longer he looked into the silver eyes, the more he knew who this boy was. Glancing back at Serutia, he noticed her smug and pleased expression. She began to walk towards him and her two companions followed. It was the perfect opportunity to attack the elf but it would not help the situation. For one he was out numbered and Legolas might get hurt. He was repulsed when she stopped next to him and tried not to lean away.

"You do know who that is do you not?" Serutia whispered quietly. She watched as the king glanced back at the boy and then her.

Surprise gleamed in Thranduil's blue eyes and then denial. "It cannot be him. No it is impossible."

The cloak one chuckled cruelly. "Mortal's can be reborn and not just by the Valar. If certain magic's are used and the vessel still sound then you can summon a soul back."

The king shook his head again but couldn't take his eyes off Legolas or the boy. He could feel there eyes upon him and wanted to deny it all. How was it possible that they had done this and if so why would the Valar allow it? Confusion hammered away at him, and he wanted to shout his despair. He knew they spoke the truth because only the Elda could see past the flesh and into the soul. And this soul was the one who should have been in the Halls of Mandos and not here. It was tragic and sad, that this should have happened to someone who should have been at peace.

Serutia chuckled at the various expressions on the other elf's face. This was just the start of his agony and she would continue to cause him pain until he broke. Only then would he know how she felt when she had lost her father so long ago.

Gesturing at the two, she smirked at the king. "Isn't it ironic that the boy here is the one who captured the prince and has been tending to him all this time? That the one who was once friend is now enemy?"

"No because I doubt he has any memories or else he would never have aloud this to happen." Thranduil replied angrily. He was tired of hearing her harp about all this and just wanted to get it over with. Worry for his son was dominating his thoughts once more and even for the boy. Just how this situation had gotten even more complicated was beyond him. But one thing was for sure he had a feeling it would get worse before it got a whole lot better.

"Now are you going to tell me what you want or are you going to be smug all day?"

Chuckles echoed from the Orcs and Serutia glared them into silence. Looking back at the king, she slapped him hard and watched his lip split open in satisfaction. She would teach this foolish elf not to demand anything from her again and would enjoy ever minute of it.

"At first I was thinking about letting your son go when you came but now I won't. Because of your continuous demands I will keep you both and make sure that you won't suffer alone."

Thranduil wasn't too surprised by her comment and that didn't make him happy. It was one thing for her to punish him but another to touch his son.

Anger got the better of him and he narrowed his eyes. Serutia was threatening his child and he would stand for it no longer. Lunging for her, he almost had her but the Uruk-hai stepped in the way. Pain exploded around him and he slammed into the ground. Kicks and punches were delivered everywhere and he groaned. The last thoughts he had before he fainted was that was dumbest thing to let his temper get to him.

"Enough Feun, we must take this slow and savor it. If you kill him now then there will be no fun later."

Serutia watched as the Uruk-hai stepped back and she knelt next to the king. Checking him over, she noticed that a few ribs were cracked but nothing else. Standing once more she gestured at the king and a few Orcs came over.

"Take our guest to his assigned room and I will deal with him later." Watching them take away the elf, she glanced over at the boy and smiled. "You may return to your rooms with the prince Selamant."

Following the others inside the mansion, she began to plan all sorts of things to do to Thranduil once he awoke. And the more she thought about them the happier she was and the crueler her brown eyes became. Glancing at her, Feun was glad that he was not that elf and vowed to never get on her dark side. But then again he hoped that she would let him help her with the elf because it had felt quiet satisfying beating on the king.

~

TBC

Welp Thranduil finally arrives and recognizes Selamant for who he is. Hope I explained it decently enough and its not to confusing. This chapter flowed really well and had to stop writing or else it would have been an epic. I'll try and have the next chapter up hopefully soon but no promises. Sigh why does homework seem to get heavier each week lol?