Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul Reaver and The Spirit Shield ❯ Intermission!!! ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Fifteen

Intermission

How evil of me to put this intermission here with such a cliffhanger at the end of the last chapter, right? ; p

Anyways, this `chapter' is just meant to sort of take a break from the story. A chance for me to kind of express my thoughts on my story thus far. Maybe it will answer a few questions for you as well. Who knows? You don't have to read this chapter, as there won't be anything crucial to the story contained within. So by all means, if my story is that riveting that you must skip this chapter and read on…you are most certainly welcome to. No hard feelings. Okay, with that said, onto my thoughts…

With the end of SR2, there were certain things I, like many people wish to see happen…so, until SR3 comes out, we are only left with our imaginations…or, in this case…fan fiction. Most of us die-hard fans know that both SR1 and 2 had large portions of deleted areas, sequences, etc. While writing this story, I had stumbled across some of the stuff that was left out when the games were finished. I did most of my research on the site: www.thelostworlds.net This is an excellent site and all fans of the LoK series should stop by for a peek.

Anyway, at the end of SR2 we have the forges dark, light, air and fire. In writing my story, and make it interesting, I had to add something. So why not more forges? Common sense caused me to choose earth and (coming soon) water, since those elements are used frequently in many games/stories. While researching, I found out that there was supposed to have been an earth and water forge along with a seventh forge: spirit. Whether or not I will incorporate that forge, I have not decided yet, but right now, I'm probably going to say no, as I am not sure how it would fit into my story yet.

At this point of time, I have created an image of the symbol of earth, which I credit the original to Crystal Dynamics. It is not an original idea of my own, but I did draw the image listed in my fan art. Eventually, I will draw the water symbol.

Next on my mind: the village of Jenise's origin, Nochton. For a while, I hadn't given her village a name…truth is, I'm no good at names. It just got to the point where I needed something shorter to write. `Jenise's village' or `Jenise's home', blah blah blah, just got too redundant. So I thought about it, and came up with Nochton. The very next day I was doing more research into the timeline of the LoK series, when I came across a map on The Lost Worlds site.

Low and behold, I discovered that there was a city called Nochtholm. (Okay I'll admit this now; I only played the first hour or two of BO1.) I had no intention of copywright infringement…however I could be taken liable for that…so, I altered my intended storyline by adding the passage about how Nochton was named after Nochtholm.

I found it surprising that coincidence did not end there. As revealed by the site The Lost Worlds, there is an image of a shield on a dungeon floor. Images like that were indications of items Kain would later possess. The shield was never an item Kain acquired, possibly deleted before the final version was released. As you all know by now, Jenise has a shield of great value to her. You don't have to believe me when I tell you I read the information about Kain's shield after I began my story. My proof, however, is in the title of my story: The Soul Reaver and the Spirit Shield. This is just a strange coincidence. It's not my intention to make Jenise's shield the same as the one Kain may have supposed to acquire during BO1.

Some of you may be wondering, what is this spirit shield? You may have guessed that Jenise's shield may have something to do with it. Well, I won't spoil the story and I will leave you pondering that thought.

Lastly, some of you may suspect that Jenise is a bit strange…kind of moody…a bit withdrawn, secretive. She does have a secret…but I'm not going to tell you what it is! You'll just have to keep reading. Just for the record though, if you haven't noticed, Raziel is also a bid withdrawn from Jenise. If you'll notice, he hasn't told her much about his past at all!

Then why wouldn't Jenise ask about Raziel after she opened up to him? Well, part of Jenise's personality is that she doesn't like to prod. That and since she's still hiding something about herself, she doesn't feel comfortable in forcing out Raziel's past. She's willing to wait until he's willing to spill it out.

That, and being the author, I felt it would hinder the flow of the plot if I retold everything that Raziel went through, which the readers would also already know. I couldn't start out the story boring you with repetitive information. Don't worry, Raziel's time in the spot light will come. I just felt it was more important to develop Jenise's character first.

Okay, I've finally got it out of my system. That wasn't so bad was it? Hello? Anybody still there? **sigh** Alright, I'll stop rambling and get back to the story. BTW: I will try to write at the least 2-3 chapters a week. I do work full time, so it will depend on my schedule how often I update. Now….Back to the Fic!!!