Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul Reaver and The Spirit Shield ❯ First Look in the Past ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-Two

The empty time streaming chamber suddenly hummed with electrical current. A flash of bright light erupted throughout the room, blinding any spectators. As the light subsided as quickly as it exploded, the room grew quiet once again…except for the two new arrivals. Raziel, being used to time travel by now, landed carefully on his feet. Jenise, on the other hand, was unceremoniously dumped on her rear.

"Thanks, for the warning," she growled at Raziel, as she rose to her feet, rubbing the sore spot on her rump. If possible, Raziel would have smirked at her plight. The two warriors exited the time chamber and climbed from the alcove up into the swamps of the past. Jenise looked around once outside. The sun was overhead, indicating early afternoon, and illuminating the swamp, though the sun's rays did not penetrate the canopy of trees.

"So where is Janos Audron's retreat located anyway?" Jenise inquired as she and Raziel began trekking eastward through the swamp.

"Far to the northeast," replied Raziel, "about three days away."

"Three days away?"

"Two if we make good time, but I suppose you'll need to stop and rest somewhere along the way. So the journey will take three days."

"I don't need rest," scowled the priestess. Raziel sighed, realizing that Jenise's stubborn attitude hadn't left for good like he had hoped, and now it was back with a vengeance.

"Jenise, you may have vampire blood in you, but I can smell human blood in you as well. Vampires do not require as much rest as humans, but both species requires it. We will make a stop in Uschtenhiem so that you can rest," the former vampire insisted with finality. Jenise, however, was not ready to give in so easily.

"And what of you? Don't you need rest? Or have you no need of it any longer? Am I wasting your time while I rest? Am I that much of a hindrance to you?"

"If you keep up your whining, then yes, you are that much of a hindrance," Raziel shot at Jenise. There were a few moments of silence before Raziel continued. "And yes, even I require rest. But I can rest within the spectral realm, and while there, time in this plane stands still."

"That's kind of cheating," Jenise mumbled in a defeated tone. "Who wouldn't love to get a full night's sleep in only a few seconds time?"

Raziel `humphed' in response as he came to a climbable surface on the northern cliff face of the swamp. The reaver of souls began to climb to the tunnel above, not saying a word to Jenise. The priestess followed suit, silent as well, wondering if this was how the remainder of the trip would be. Raziel quickly scaled the wall. As he waited, he scouted the area for any vampires or humans that may pose as a threat. Jenise reached the top and joined Raziel before they continued onward.

For roughly three hours, they traveled through the narrow, twisting canyons with few words spoken. Jenise had by now realized that Raziel had become a bit impatient, wanting to reach his goal as quickly as possible. With her presence, his progress would be slowed, and that added frustration. The priestess was just irritated that Raziel would not admit that he felt that way. He didn't deny it either. Instead he just remained silent, and it was driving Jenise crazy.

"Remember, you did invite me to come with you," Jenise finally broke the silence.

"Don't remind me," Raziel bluntly replied.

"Why don't you just admit it?"

"Admit what?"

"That you are frustrated that I'm delaying your progress because you are so eager to get to Janos Audron?" she cornered him. He said nothing, just continued onward. "Look, we'll get there sooner or later. There's no need to worry. You don't have to give me the silent treatment anymore."

Raziel slowed slightly, so that Jenise could catch up and walk beside him. Once next to him, Raziel stopped completely. Jenise did the same, curious to Raziel's actions. The former vampire glanced around their surrounding a moment, watching. When he deemed it safe, he spoke, but in a quieted voice.

"I haven't been giving you the silent treatment," whispered Raziel. "We have been being watched for some time now."

"Are you sure? I think I would have felt it-" Jenise began, but was cut off my her senses. She could keenly feel the presence of someone watching them intently. "-by now." She finished her sentence, but her tone displayed her embarrassment for having not noticed previously, and for doubting Raziel. The priestess immediately realized that she would have noticed it before, had she not been overstressing about Raziel's silent demeanor towards her.

"How long has it been since they began watching us?" Jenise asked.

"Just under two hours now. I haven't been able to get a visual confirmation as to who is watching us. I know there is only one and I'm fairly certain that whoever it is, it must be a vampire. No ordinary human could keep up with us," explained the reaver of souls.

The duo remained silent for a few moments, following the movements of the unknown entity with their senses. Their connection with the presence began to ebb, until it faded completely, indicating the being's retreat. Unable to sense the unwanted presence any longer, Raziel knew it was no longer necessary to speak in hushed tones.

"Whoever it is, knows we were aware of his presence," he informed the priestess.

"Then why didn't he attack? Or at least show himself once he realized we knew he was there?"

"I'm not certain, but probably because he was alone. He may have been a fledgeling. But whether he is friend or foe is uncertain at this time. We best be on our lookout. Hopefully, he hasn't gone for reinforcements," replied Raziel.

"Then let's get going. The quicker we get to Uschtenhiem, the better. I doubt a hoard of vampires is going to try to attack one of the larger cities of Nosgoth," Jenise suggested.

"Uh, right," Raziel agreed, but his tone was unconvincing. Jenise quirked a questioning eyebrow at him, inquisitive as to the meaning of his tone. When Raziel did not answer, she didn't bother for an elaboration. She figured she would learn the truth eventually anyway.

Raziel and Jenise hiked onward the remainder of the day. As night began to fall, they had exited the canyon pathway, which opened up to a large clearing. The full moon high in the sky gave off enough light for sufficient sight. The duo found themselves in a large forest, though the vegetation was only moderate. A dirt road led through the forest, indicating the direction to the city of Uschtenhiem.

The warriors used the road to guide them, but did not travel on it. Raziel was aware that the road was used by both humans and vampires alike. And either specie was a potential threat. So instead, they hiked within the trees, should they spot someone using the road. A few times, Raziel and Jenise spotted a human traveling the road, headed towards the canyons, now a few hours behind the warriors. They paused in their travel making little noise, so as not to alert the humans. They remained still until the humans passed by, unaware of their presence. Given the late hour of the night, and the distance from any human establishment, these near encounters rarely happened.

Sunlight was still a few hours away when Raziel and Jenise spotted the end of the forest. The moon long ago descended in the night sky, and now was teetering over the horizon. Raziel had summoned the light enhanced wraith blade for better visibility. As the duo reached the forest edge, Raziel called back the wraith blade. Reaching out with his left hand, he grabbed Jenise's right arm, halting her in her tracks.

"There's a group of vampires out there waiting to ambush us," Raziel whispered to Jenise before she could demand the reason for his action. Jenise could feel their presence as well; at least a dozen of them were waiting just outside the forest line.

"We can't go out there," Jenise replied quietly. "They will certainly attack. We should call out to them. Let them know we are aware of their presence and that we mean no harm."

"I don't know how wise that is," disagreed Raziel. "It could just prompt an attack."

"And is that better than just waltzing out there and let them proceed with their intended ambush?"

Raziel sighed in defeat, accepting Jenise's reasoning. He continued onward towards the clearing. If not for the seriousness of the situation at hand, Jenise would have grinned at her victory over Raziel. She quickly followed behind him. As they broke through the tree line, Jenise called out to them.

"We know you're there! We are of no threat to you!" she announced, holding her empty hands up for the vampires to inspect. Raziel walked beside Jenise, but more aggressively. His hands remained at his sides, unwilling to surrender. There were a total of fourteen vampires awaiting them, all prepared to strike at their leader's command. It was a quiet stalemate for several moments.

"At ease," came the short command from a vampire in the front, obviously the leader. The remaining vampires relaxed from their battle stances. "What is your purpose here?" the commanding vampire bluntly demanded of Raziel and Jenise.

"We are merely passing through," Raziel replied icily. "We have done nothing to warrant an attack from you, so let us be on our way."

"What business have you with Janos Audron then?" he specified. Raziel then realized that this vampire felt familiar, the one who had been spying on them earlier in the day. He must have overheard Jenise when she spoke of their plans.

"I wish to have a small chat with him over a warm cup of tea. Did you care to join us?" snidely replied the reaver of souls. Jenise barely stifled a snicker at Raziel's bold taunt. The vampire was visibly irritated by Raziel's lack of respect.

"I will see to it that you never see my master Janos," sneered the vampire, eyeing Raziel. "You are not worthy enough to bestow your presence in front of him. Even if it kills me, I will not allow you to offend our lord with your hideous form."

It was now Raziel's turn to be filled with insult and rage. "And what might your name be, so that I may personally deliver the news of your death to Janos after I have disposed of your fragile corpse?" demanded Raziel as he manifested the wraith blade. The blade fed from Raziel's rage. Anxious for battle, it hummed with hunger for the vampire's soul.

The vampire was taken by surprise by the appearance of the wraith blade. He had not seen this when he had studied Raziel and Jenise earlier. He realized there would be no way of disarming the demon. He opted to back down slightly, but would not allow the demon and his female companion to realize this right away. His offense that they did not know of him overrode all other options.

"I am Vorador, first of Janos Audron's children of the night. I am sworn to protect him from all dangers, whether they be vampire hunters…" he glanced at Jenise, "…or demon." He turned his gaze back to Raziel.

At this introduction, Raziel and Jenise looked to each other in surprise. Raziel withdrew his wraith blade, his demeanor changing instantly from hostile rage to shock to trusted acquaintanceship. The sudden change in attitude left Vorador confused.

"Vorador? Why I hardly recognize you," Raziel mused. Indeed, Vorador's appearance was much different than that of his future counterpart. This Vorador still held most of his human characteristics, and looked less demonic than his future self. Raziel noticed that Vorador had cloven hands, indicating he had already undergone an evolution. His skin was pale, slightly blue, rather than sickly green. His pointed ears were a little more elongated than a vampire from Raziel's days as a vampire. He wasn't nearly as powerful as his future self, as of yet.

"Have we met?" Vorador curiously inquired, interrupting Raziel's examination.

"Yes, and no. We know of you, but you do not know us as of yet," Raziel chose his words carefully, so as not to tip Vorador off to his and Jenise's true origins. "My name is Raziel. My companion is Jenise. We simply need to ask Janos a few questions, and we shall be on our way."

Vorador thought about Raziel's words for a few moments, deciding whether or not this decayed figure and, what he assumed to be a vampire hunter, could be trusted. What he did not understand, was that if she was a vampire hunter, why had she allied herself with a demon? Then there were their names: Raziel and Jenise. They held a familiarity that he could not figure out. He decided that he should trust the warriors.

"Do you know your way?" Vorador inquired.

"Yes. We should be able to arrive at Janos Audron's stronghold in two days time, after we make a stop in Uschtenhiem," answered Raziel.

"That may be a risky decision," commented the vampire.

"How so?"

"Uschtenhiem is currently occupied by a brigand of vampire hunters. Not a problem for you Jenise, but Raziel…" Vorador trailed off, not needing to explain.

"I'm not a vampire hunter," Jenise snorted, slightly irritated by the assumption. Vorador gave her an apologetic glance. He then turned to the vampire at his right and removed the cloak from said vampire with no protest.

"Here, take this," instructed Vorador as he handed the cloak to Raziel. "It shall hide your…features…from the humans' suspecting eyes. Also, go to the second street inn and mention my name to the innkeeper. He shall provide you with a room until you are well rested."

Raziel wrapped the cloak around his form. He and Jenise thanked Vorador for his assistance before departing, wishing to arrive in the city before dawn. The shroud of night would help Raziel hide himself easier. The plains separating the forest and Uschtenhiem were not that large. It only took an hour for Jenise and Raziel to arrive at their first location.

The view of the city before Jenise took her by surprise. Uschtenhiem was little more than a newly established settlement. Not the thriving city she had left some nine hundred years in the future. Raziel boldly entered the village, the flaps of his cloak snapping in his wake. Jenise followed behind as they quickly made their way to the inn.