Fan Fiction ❯ The World's Last Hope ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A teenager sat on a park bench underneath a tall oak tree. She sighed and pushed her unruly blond hair behind her ears. Standing up, she brushed off her hands on her jeans and looked at the horizon. I guess they forgot. She thought.

Glancing at the horizon, she sighed and began to walk home. It was dark before she reached the park exit. As she came upon it, she saw that the gloomy gate was closed and locked for the night.

Her heart began to beat faster, her breath became rapid. She'd heard stories that vampires ruled the park at night. That made sense to her because right next-door was an old graveyard with all sorts of old buildings.

Surveying the wall, her eyes fell upon a large maple tree close to the fence. It was a perfect climbing tree, and if she climbed it, she could escape. Running over to hit, she quickly began to climb.

Okay, now I just need to get level with the fence. She thought. Then I can jump onto the top of the fence and get out of here. I wouldn't be Elizabeth Smith if I couldn't.

"No you wouldn't," an icy voice echoed in her head.

Elizabeth was so surprised that she lost her grip and fell to the ground with a thud. Sitting up she rubbed her head and looked up at the tree.

"That was my imagination," she assured herself, "Besides, no one would be crazy enough to be here after dark..."

"Then why are you here?" The voice asked.

Whipping her head around to look at the tree she saw an ominous figure floating down.

"This isn't happening," she whispered.

"This isn't a dream sweetheart," The figure told her in a sweet voice, "this is real life, and don't try to run Elizabeth, I can see a lot better then you in the dark."

She sat frozen, unable to move as the creature's eyes started to glow red. The creature started getting closer to her. A Street light illuminated him. His skin was so pale that it looked like it hat never see sunlight, while his hair was as dark as the night around them. And his eyes, his eyes were blood red. They seemed to look into her soul.

He was very tall, probably about six feet tall. He wore a long black trench coat over a black best and pants.

Looking back up at his face she noticed something that made her blood run cold. He had fangs.

Getting up as fast as she could, she tried to get away. Running, she heard the wind rush behind her and then a hand in the middle of her back pushing her down. Then she tripped on a root and fell to the ground.

"I thought I told you that you can't run." the vampire's voice scolded her.

Turning over onto her back, she saw it coming towards her. Then, all of a sudden, she heard voices and footsteps. A flashlight illuminated her.

"We'll meet again child," the vampire hissed as he disappeared into the darkness.

She looked at where the vampire had been and then looked at her rescuers. Two men came to a stop in front of her.

"Are you alright?" One of the men asked as he extended his hand to her and helped her up.

She stood up and looked at them. The one that had spoken to her looked at her keenly. He had brown hair and eyes. His skin was tanned. The other man had red hair and green eyes. The most noticeable thing about him was that he had a scar that went from his left ear all the way to the corner of his mouth. He was easily 6 feet tall, towering over the other man who must have been 5'6".

"I'm fine." she replied, "What was that thing?"

"His name is Asarath. He's a vampire that was created a hundred years ago." The brown haired man informed her.

"Who is we?" Elizabeth questioned.

"Oh how rude of me," He said, "I am Joe Cornwell, and this is Fred Jackson."

"I'm Elizabeth Smith, my friends call me Liz." She shook their hands.

"We are agents in the Bureau of the Paranormal and Supernatural. We work for the U.N."

"The United Nations-"

"Doesn't have a Bureau dealing with supernatural and paranormal occurrences. Do you think the U.N. would want the entire world knowing ghosts, vampires, and the likes exist? The world would be in utter chaos. Besides, the world will be safer if no one who didn't need to know found out."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Liz, you know how Asarath attacked you back there, well if he couldn't bite you-"

"What do you mean? He just couldn't get close."

"No, if Asarath had wanted to bite you he could of, but there was something holding him back. That means that there is something about you that vampires don't like."

"Like what?"

"I don't know but it saved your life."

"Joe," Fred interrupted, "We need to get her out of here and capture Asarath."

"Oh right, well come along then Liz." He told her, taking her arm. "Fred, I think you can capture Asarath by yourself."

Something that sounded like a cross between a growl and a mummer escaped Fred's lips. Joe just laughed and led her away. He took her to a place were the chain link fence was broken. On the other side was a black trailblazer. Ushering her inside, Joe climbed in beside her and signaled the driver to drive. She tried to stare out the window but it was totally black.

They drove for about 20 minutes along what seemed like a highway, and then for about 5 on a mountain road. Finally, the trailblazer stopped and she was quickly brought into a mansion.

The mansion was huge, easily the size of three football fields. Once inside her jaw dropped at the size of the entrance hall. It was both huge and magnificent. There were many portraits of the walls, Persian rugs on the floor, and precious stones in the frames of the pictures.

"This way," Joe said, leading her toward a large oak door at the side of the room.

He opened the door, revealing a dark, small staircase. Following him down, she began to shiver a little, from both cold and fear. The staircase reminded her of one seen in a medieval castle. Torches attached to the wall lighted their way.

Suddenly, Joe stopped, and she tried her best not to bump into him and send both of them falling down the steps. He turned towards the wall and pulled on the base of a torch. When he released it, the wall opened to a doorway. They descended maybe twenty stairs before coming to a room that was lit by only on small candle.

"We are here." Joe announced.

"Excellent." A voice said. "Let me see her."

Suddenly, Joe jerked her forward, into what seemed like a desk. Then she felt a cold hand touch her cheek.

"Ah, this is a pretty mortal." It mused.

"Mortal?" She gasped.

"Yes child." the voice echoed, "Like you stupid mortals, we werewolves must eat."

Then the owner of the voice moved his face into the candlelight. It was a creature the likes of she'd seen in a movie. His face was covered in hair and he had two piercing eyes. In his mouth were teeth like a dog's. Looking over her shoulder at Joe, she saw him transform into a savage creature also. Yanking her arm away from him, she ran toward where she thought the stairs were. Stumbling up them, she heard the werewolves scrambling up after her.

She was out of breath by the time she reached the entrance hall. The light temporarily blinded her, but when her eyes adjusted, she felt a growing dread start in the pit of her stomach. All around her were werewolves. Scrambling to the door, she threw it open and ran into the cool night air. Liz ran as fast as she could in the darkest direction. All of a sudden, hands started grabbing her, and things kept tripping her.

Even through that, she kept running. Finally, after running for about 15 minutes, she stopped, exhausted. Sitting down next to a tree, she closed her eyes and looked up at the night sky. She could see the moon peaking through all of the clouds. Sighing, she closed her eyes and soon fell asleep.

Liz sat up abruptly. Her eyes took a second to focus. When they did, she gasped. She was no longer in the woods, but in some sort of house. The room she was in was sparsely furnished. There was a fireplace with a roaring fire, a chair next to the bed she was in, and a window on the wall next to her. Looking down at herself, she could see that she was still in her regular clothes. Suddenly, the door opened and a middle age man with blonde\ hair and blue eyes walked in.

"I see you are awake child." He said.

"Who are you?" She asked, "And where am I?"

"My name is Alex and you are safe from both vampires and werewolves."

"How do you?"

"Elizabeth, I know a lot about you. The reason, you are the one my family has been waiting for generations. We are keepers of the ancient text."

"The Ancient what?"

"The Ancient Text is a warning. It says that the two great powers in the world will clash and in their struggle against one another, they will destroy a precious element. The destruction of that element will cause not only the destruction of those two species but humans as well."

"What element will be destroyed?"

"The element Iron."

"Iron? I learned about that in science class. It's in the Transition Metal group with an Atomic Mass of 55.847."

"I see you know a lot about it."

"I did a project on it a couple of months ago."

"Tell me what are the boiling and melting points?"

"Boiling point is 3000 degrees Celsius, and the melting point is 1536 degrees Celsius. What's with all this quizzing?"

"I want to be sure you know about the element you will be saving. When and where was it discovered?"

"It was discovered by Ancient Egyptians around 3400 B.C. the Atomic Number is 26 and the symbol is Fe."

"Good, you know enough about it. Now you must get prepared for your mission."

"What if I don't want to go on this mission? I mean, I've had enough werewolves and vampires for a while."

"Do you know what would happen if the element Iron was taken away from the Earth? Bridges and buildings would collapse, automobiles would no longer exist, and blood would become anemic, killing many humans.... Now do you understand why you have to go on this mission?"

"Yeah, but how am I supposed to do this? I mean I'm not the best fighter, or that skilled with computers."

"You will have the help of a vampire and a werewolf."

"Wait a minute, I thought they were enemies."

"These two aren't. They are quite nice actually. I think you'll like them. But first I suggest you get changed into something else. There are clothes under the bed. I will wait for you outside." He told her as he exited the room, not before giving her a slight bow.

Getting up, she looked under the bed and found a pair of jeans and a green t-shirt. Also, she found a pair of clean socks and shoes. Putting them on quickly, she found a hair elastic in the back pocket of the jeans. Pulling her hair up into a ponytail, she checked her reflection in the window before opening the door.

"I see you're ready." Alex said.

She followed Alex to a stairwell.

Where have I seen this before? She thought to herself.

He led her down the stairs. A few seconds later, he led her in to a room. The room was dark, lit by only two torches. However, he room was lit enough for her to see its contents. There were three chairs in a semi-circle, one of which was occupied. The occupant was a woman who had light brown hair with purple highlights. Her skin was somewhat tanned. She was practically asleep.

In the middle of the semi-circle was a coffin. It was made of mahogany and had a dragon painted on the lid.

"Having a nice nap Christy?" Alex asked the sleeping woman.

"Huh? What?" The woman said, her gold eyes sparkling even though she had just been woken up.

"Christy, this is Elizabeth, she'll be helping you and your boyfriend in the mission," Alex introduced her.

"First of all Alex, the dummy in the coffin is not my boyfriend," Christy told Alex, "And second, the day werewolves and vampires get along is the day you become ruler of the universe."

"It could happen, anyway, when is our friend going to wake up?"

"Four or five hours, that is if we're lucky. He said he was tired after escaping that werewolf last night."

"We'll wake him up before we leave. He is coming with us whether he likes it or not." Alex told her, and then he looked at Elizabeth. "Let's go, you need to be briefed."

Then Alex led her, followed by Christy, into a small office type room. Once inside, she was beckoned to sit on a small red, leather couch. Christy sat next to her. Alex stood in front of them, a whiteboard behind him.

"Your mission," He began, "is to resolve the conflict between the vampires and werewolves using whatever force necessary. To do this you are to be a mediator at a meeting between the two leaders. If the meeting produces nothing you are to do the next step. I pray that we do not have to do this. You must destroy all vampires and werewolves in existence. That includes even good guys. I'm sorry, but it must be done. We have one other option though, we can send them to another planet about three light-years away."

"Wait a minute." Elizabeth interrupted, "Who's authorizing us to do this? And where would we get the technology to send them to another planet?"

"The technology has been around for thousands of years Elizabeth. My people created it around the time of the Pharaohs in Egypt." Alex told her.

"Who exactly are your people?"

"They are a mix of vampires and werewolves. I myself am half vampire. Do not be alarmed, I don't drink blood."

"But vampires can't have children."

"Unlike what legends tell us, yes vampires can have children, as can werewolves for I am one quarter werewolf. Christy here is a full blooded werewolf, born in this society."

"What society?"

"The Dark Crisis Society. We were created thousands of years ago to prevent what is happening now. The vampire in the coffin was also born in the society though he still drinks human blood."

"You mentioned me?" A cold voice asked from the doorway. "Oh, it is good to see you again child."

"Oh no," Elizabeth whispered.

That voice, it was the one that she had heard the other night in the park. Turning her head she saw the same figure. The same black trench coat and vest. His hair was as black as night and his blood red eyes pierced her very soul. Her heart began to beat faster, and her breath became shallow. Asarath stood in front of her in all of his glory.

"It seems you two have met." Alex said, raising an eyebrow.

"He tried to kill me," she whispered.

"I only tried to drink your blood Elizabeth." He told her as he sat down in a chair opposite of her.

"Asarath, when did you do this?" Alex asked, his voice becoming more serious.

"Last night," he replied, lighting a cigarette.

"What have you been told about going after humans?" Alex started to sound like a disapproving mother.

"Oh be quiet Alex, you're not my mother."

"Asarath."

"Alex."

The two of them stared into the other's eyes. Neither gave an inch. Christy and Elizabeth were both silent, waiting to see what the two men would do. Suddenly, the glass on the window shattered. A brick with a note tied onto it lay on the floor. Alex quietly walked over to the note. He picked it up and read it aloud.

"Dear scumbags," He read, "we'll never compromise with you or those filthy vampires. Also, we will not stand for you filthy half-breeds ordering us around. Besides, the death of life is upon us. Haven't you heard? The element iron is disappearing as we speak. Pretty soon all of us will be dead and you won't have to worry about who is killing who. Signed the werewolves."

"Oh no." Christy whispered.

"That's it," Alex mumbled, and then he looked at Elizabeth. "Remember how I told you about killing all of the vampires and werewolves, well now you must do that. Including us. Elizabeth you are the last chance the world has."

"No," She whispered. "There has to be another way. Wait a minute, you said earlier that I was the one your family was waiting for and the Ancient Text predicted this."

"Yes, the Ancient Text describes the options I have told you."

"What if instead of killing all of the vampires and werewolves, why don't we just turn them back into humans?"

"How would we do that?"

"One of the werewolves that abducted me said that there was something about me that vampires didn't like. Then when I was running away from them, they seemed as if they didn't want to touch me. What if there is something about me that turns werewolves and vampires back into humans. I mean all vampires and werewolves started out as humans."

"That is a risky proposition." Alex told her. "And I'm not sure we can take that risk."

"Well, it's better than the plan that you have." Christy remarked.

Suddenly, Elizabeth felt a warm sensation around her neck. Looking down she saw the most beautiful pendant. It was made of solid iron and had a weird design on it. The design looked almost like a coat of arms. There was a vampire on the left side, a werewolf on the right, and a human in the middle.

"What is this?" She asked, holding it up.

"Oh my Princess." Alex said as he got down on one knee.

"What's going on?" She questioned, a little surprised that everyone was getting down on one knee, including Asarath.

"You are the chosen on." Alex told her. "The one who was predicted to save the world. That pendant is what will save us."

"But how?"

"It gives you the power to turn vampires and werewolves into humans. It also allows you to replenish the element iron on this planet my Princess."

"Okay, now tell me why you keep calling me Princess."

"It is said that the one who poses the pendant is the Prince or Princess of Earth. They are immortal and will protect the entire planet from destruction."

"Immortal, okay if there is one thing that I'm not it is immortal."

"You are now."

"Okay, I'm going to pretend that you didn't say that. Now all of you get up. We need to get going before the world is destroyed." She started to head out, but stopped when Alex staggered.

"I'm fine," He said, holding himself up on the whiteboard, "Just the beginning effects of the loss of the iron. All of you should go without me."

"No, I'm not leaving you." Christy told him, helping him stand up.

"Christy, stay here with him." Elizabeth told her. "We don't want any werewolves or vampires coming after him."

With that, she hurried out the door. Asarath followed her. She made her way out of the house. As she stood outside, she looked up at the sky. It was cloudy and getting very dark. The wind blew around her gold hair.

"Asarath," She said, "Take me to the battlefield of the werewolves and the vampires."

"As you wish my Princess." He replied, closing his eyes.

Within seconds, they stood on a grassy hill, overlooking two armies on a huge grassy field. It was clear which group was which. The werewolves had turned into wolf/dog like creatures. All of the vampires were dressed in black.

Closing her eyes, Elizabeth concentrated on the two armies. With every bit of energy she had she willed the pendant to erase all of their anger and make them forget their battles. Then she willed them, and all others of their kind to become human. Sighing, she stumbled a little, exhausted from all of the energy she used. Looking down at the field she saw all humans laying on the ground. Turning around, she saw Asarath also on the ground. Bending down to see if he was all right, she noticed his fangs were gone. Within seconds, he awoke.

"Where am I?" He asked, rubbing his eyes that were now brown instead of red.

"You don't remember do you?" Elizabeth asked.

"No." He answered.

Just then her cell phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Elizabeth, it worked!" Christy's excited voice came on the line. "Alex is alright and his fangs are gone. My eyes aren't gold anymore and I can't change into a wolf anymore!"

"That's great Christy." she smiled, "Asarath is fine. We'll be back as soon as I figure out where we are."

After she hung up she noticed Asarath watching her. She put her cell phone back and smiled. Then she yawned.

"Boy am I tired." she muttered.

"Go to sleep then." Asarath told her. "I'll make sure no one disturbs you."

"Thanks," She replied.

Elizabeth went over to a tall maple tree on the side of the hill. From there she sat and watched all of the former vampires and werewolves wake up. They all seemed disoriented but fine. She smiled as a few of them, who had been on opposing sides, went over and helped their former enemies. Sighing, she closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the tree.

I can't believe that just a few days ago I thought that vampires didn't exist. She thought. Now I just saved the entire world from them. I can't believe this, and on top of that I found out I'm an immortal princess who will protect the world. I guess that job won't be that bad. What do I know; I think I could learn to love it. Finally Elizabeth sighed and nodded off to sleep.

Sleep tight my dear Princess. Asarath thought. For you will need all of your strength to deal with what lays ahead. I know you will be an excellent protector. He watched his Princess sleep as it became dark, his brown eyes glowing red.