Fan Fiction ❯ They Fell ❯ From Perfect to Pits ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

Mikey B23 here! This story is something I feel I need to do. Its about a day that will forever be embedded inside the hearts of all, especially Americans. Being a proud citizen of the United States, I feel I need to write about this day...The day that we were attacked by terrorists...that day is...9/11/01

Today is an average day for me, Michael J. Bolton. Today is my 17th birthday, and the sun is partly obscured by cloud cover. However, I am also approaching a day that touched me and everyone else in the world. The day that changed me and many others...September 11th, 2001.

This story is about me on that fateful day...

7:00 AM

<BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING!!> The peaceful sleep cut short by the wake-up call of my alarm clock. I turned off the alarm, noticed it being 7:00 AM, I got out of bed and prepared myself for yet another day of school.

I got dressed, did my hygeine, waited for my carpool, and gave my mom a good-bye kiss. We said our daily prayer, and I was off to school. As my carpool arrived at the school, I looked around me: clear sky, temperatures near about 75 degrees. The breeze trailed on my back, giving the feeling of a perfect day.

As I went through First and Second period, I felt like a mountain, unable to be moved or hindered. To me, this day seemed like a dream. Then, during Third Period, the pricipal interrupted the silence in the classroom with a disturbing announcment: "A plane has crashed into one of the WTC Towers."

I sat there, mouth gaping, at first, I thought my mind was palying tricks on me, but then the TV was turned on...The first thing I saw was something I thought was a movie: The Left Tower was billowing smoke from the 95th floor and above.

9:01 AM

I could'nt believe my eyes, as I began to question what just happened. "Was it possible? Could this really be happening?" Were just a few of the many questions swirling through my head. My thoughts were immediately cut off when I saw an object of some kind approaching the other Tower..."What is that?!" I said to myself, just seconds before it crashed into the other Tower.

I was in a state of complete and total disbelief, as I saw the plane explode, windows shattered and I saw people dropping from as high as the 96th floor. I covered my eyes, trying to hold back the tears of disbelief and agony. Yet, it was to no avail, I let loose my emotions, and cryed out in the presence of the class. Many others were crying too, and I knew that this was no accident that happened; this event had to have been planned.

10:17 AM

My thoughts were shattered when I saw a grim sight: The Right Tower was collapsing. I sat there, unsure whether this was really happening or if this was some horrible nightmare. To my ultamite dismay, this was reality, and the truth of what had really happened had not yet sunk in until the Second Tower collapsed.

I remember the seeing the teacher with his hands to his eyes, as if hiding the tears he was shedding. I felt like my perfect day had taken such a twisted turn that it seemed as though time itself had stopped. I suddenly realized that there were people in those buildings; I couldn't control myself anymore as I let out every ounce of what I had been holding back.

I don't remember what had happened after my emotional breakdown, I felt like I had been hit by a brick the size of a Mack-Truck. I found myself in my bedroom, at home. I got out of bed and ran to the television set, checking to see if what I had just experienced was true or not. I couldn't believe my ears: "The WTC Towers have collapsed and the injured or dead have not even been taken into account yet" the broacaster said with saddness and gloom in his voice.

I sat down, crying my eyes out, I could not believe what had happened, still. I wacthed as President Bush addressed the Nation about this tragedy.

When Bush was done, my thoughts turned back once again to the people in the Towers. What had become of them? Had they been able to escape the Towers before it crashed to the ground? These were questions I could not answer until later on.

3:00 PM

The death toll was unofficially in: "at the moment, we believe that there are at least 350 dead" I could not let out any tears, for I had spent them up earlier that day. I merely stood there with a gaping mouth and a million thoughts racing through my mind.

I still did not think this was really happening, I felt like God himself did not plan this, and the situation was hopeless to me. I heard the news about the Democrats and Republicans actually working toghether becasue of this tragedy, I was in shock to say the least.

8:55 AM

I woke up the next morning, and got up to read the paper. The same thing I had feared: "U.S ATTACKED" was on the front page of the paper. I crumpled the paper in my hand, and burnt it, still in disbelief even after a day and a half of the events.

I could not eat, and sleep was very elusive to me, my thoughts turned to all those people and their families...There had to be well over 4,000 people in those buildings that day, and I knew that those who were above the 95th floor were not going to make it back alive.

"Please, God, be with those families. Give them strength in this time of mourning." I prayed to God, asking for guidance to our president, George Bush. I cryed my way back to sleep, knowing that whoever did this to America was going to pay dearly.

10:42 AM

"Wake up, Michael, breakfast!" My mom woke me back up, and I knew what I was going to see when I turned on that TV. I left it alone, that way I wouldn't have to hear any more sadness from the media.

A few days later, the US had a "reasonable" suspect: Afghanistanian, Osama Bin Laden. I knew all too well about him: the same guy who attacked the WTC back in the early 90's. I had hoped he was dead, but apparentely he was still alive, and it was indeed Bin Laden that orchestrated the 9/11 terror attack.

To me, that day is one that will live in infamy, as president Roosevekt said on Dec. 7th, 1941 when Pearl Harbor was bombed by the Japanese. When I looked at the sky, the same sky that was so beautiful and serene on that day, was now clouded and ugly, with heavy rain in the forecast. I knew that America would bounce back from this, but the only phrase I could phatom at that moment was "God Bless America."

I hope you have enjoyed this story, this was my day on Sept. 11th, and I always remember that day; that fateful day when America came together,and, for the first time in a long time, prayed to God for guidance. I know that the events of 9/11 have touched everyones lives, especially mine. I hope you will remember too, and I pray that God continue to bless America, our home sweet home!

Mikey B23 out!!!............

God Bless America!!