Fan Fiction ❯ Three wishes ❯ Phantom Thief Jamie ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
The only way to catch her would be if you had a pair of Mega-Binoculars, or if you were an extremely great detective and could tell the difference between a normal villager and a thief. Yes, she was a great thief, sneaky, cunning, and very clever. Her only problem was that she could be very loud sometimes, which was a bad thing, considering she went around stealing food and other. Some called her a Phantom Thief; she had a way of appearing and disappearing in a mere second.
Her name was Jamie Claw, quite a normal name for a Phantom Thief. She had many nicknames: If she was going for the normal villager, she went by Anna Clark, more normal than her regular name. If she was going for a palace guard, she went by Dalamagon, as most guards had long complicated names like that, a fact Jamie still didn't know the reason to.
This particular day, wandering about in the village market, she was going by Jane Lemur, a fine name for a tourist. She was dressed like a tourist, too: the little explorer hat, the vest, the waist bag, and most importantly, the blue fade-y sunglasses that made her bright blue eyes glint in a mysterious way. She had a pair of sandals, too; tourists were never used to the Arabian weather. Her short black hair was tied up in a bun, making her look like a sixteen-year-old instead of a twelve-year-old.
Striding over to a marketer, Jane peered over the top of the basket on his counter. Apples. Hrm, not a bad way to start the day.
“Uh, excuse me?” she asked in a polite and slightly foreign tongue. “I would love to buy one. How much would they cost?”
“Twenty coins, miss.” The man behind the counter stated, looking about in his twenties.
“Oh dear, twenty? I don't seem to have nearly that much…” Jane said startled. “Do you think maybe I could get a discount?”
“Sorry, ma'am, no discounts allowed.” The man muttered.
“Oh, but I've just come here; I'm not used to this Arabian life. Please, sir.”
“I told you, we don't do dis--” The man suddenly stopped, leaning back slightly and hazel eyes wide open. His breathing hitched as the distance between him and the tourist closed in, and the tourist's face neared. He watched as her eyes began to water, blue eyes suddenly very large.
“P-Please, sir! Y-you've got to h-help me… My daughter back at home is v-very sick… She can't h-help herself… I came to buy s-some delicious fruit you had over here in A-Agrabah, so I could m-make the medicine… P-please, sir… you've just got to understand…!”
While Jane was spilling out her depressing story, Jamie grabbed a few apples from behind her back and sneaked them in her little tourist bag. Hey, it didn't hurt to get too close to a guy so they couldn't see, right?
“Y-yes, ma'am, feel free to take one.” The man said, a faint blush visible across his cheeks. “If it's that important, I can't say no.”
“Oh, thank you, honorable stranger.” Jane sighed in relief, taking an apple and slipping it in her waist bag, acting as though she was eternally grateful for the single apple she got, even though she stole about five extra. She stepped back from the counter and bowed low, very low, too low that all the apples in her waist bag spilled out. She jumped back in shock, her blue fade-y sunglasses twirling on her nose animatedly. The man behind the apple counter gasped, and then pointed an accusing finger at her. “Thief!”
“Crap!” Jane exclaimed, turning her heel once she saw palace security men running towards her. She took off at the speed of sound, after collecting all her fallen apples. Of course, the time taken to collect apples let the palace men catch up to her, so now they were a couple feet behind her. Looking back, she tried to think of a way to lose them. As if a light bulb lit in her head, she leaped off the ground with incredible strength. She landed on the square roof of a house. Only problem was that she landed on the edge. She stumbled backwards and flailed her arms around, trying to maintain balance. She never was really that great at balancing.
“Darnit!” Jamie exclaimed when she felt her body go downward, backwards. She tried to stay alert, even if she was falling through the air. The Phantom Thief tried to move her body so that she'd land on her feet, but it was too late. With a loud thud, her body landed on the ground in an uncomfortable heap. Her legs were twisted in a strange way, and her arms were crossing each other. Her eyes were closed tightly, but that didn't help the pain that shot up her chest.
With a groan, Jamie sat back up. She rubbed the back of her head with one hand, while rummaging through her bag in the other. She found all six of her apples, safe and unsquished. She sighed in relief, and took off her fade-y glasses to reveal bright blue eyes, ones that had so much life in them, so many stories to tell, and so much left to go through. Then she undressed herself from the tourist clothes to reveal her regular clothes underneath, a simple T-shirt and a pair of baggy jeans.
Even though she couldn't afford decent clothes, her `stunningly beautiful' face, as some boys said, would never get worn out or ugly. Some said she was pretty. Honestly, she didn't think she looked all that great; there were a few smudges here and there, maybe a bit of small acne on her cheek. But the boys seemed to like it. Jamie really didn't like to have to count on her face to get away with things, but it did help a bit. No one could suspect her to be a thief, either. Although, lots of thieves had save faces, just to back them up.
Jamie took out an apple from her bag and leaned back against the wall, snacking into the red fruit. She thought she was alone in the damp alleyway, but she wasn't. The sound of a low humming made her ears perk up and her head look around like some kind-of animal. Then her eyes narrowed, “Who's there?”
The low humming continued, like a broken record. Jamie knew someone wanted her to be lured in, and she let herself be lured. Stepping up and stumbling forward into the darker contents of the alley, she looked around. “Hello?”
The low humming turned into a loud cackle. Jamie looked to the left, and she gasped and blanched in shock. An old hooded man was propped up against a wall in a sitting position. He looked highly suspicious, with his brown hood low over his head so that his face was shadowed. His eyes were completely invisible. Jamie narrowed her eyes once again. “Who're you?”
 
 
-----
Okay, this is for all of you dorks who want to read my fanfic. And for all you dorks that don't know what I'm talking about, go here--> xanga.com/schlusselschwert. And, if you still don't get it (and you'd have to be a super dork at that) read the post for Sunday, May 14.