Fan Fiction ❯ Titans Revealed ❯ Under the Mask ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: You probably want to read "Raven's Reward" before any of my other stories. It makes an assumption about the chain of command that echoes throughout nearly every Titans fic I write. Also, it would help if you've read "Not Applicable" too…

Chapter 5: Under the Mask

Raven took a deep breath. "This won't be easy for anyone, so I'll be brief."

Beast Boy almost jumped when the projector behind her came on, but forced himself to relax upon remembering that this WAS Raven, after all.

"As I told you earlier, I went to the Watchtower to discuss the matter with Batman. He's given me definite proof of Robin's identity."

"So who is he?" Beast Boy asked at once.

"It's not that simple," Raven replied just as quickly. "I'll show you what I mean."

The projector flashed, and the faces of two masked young men appeared on the screen. Both of them were obviously Robin…at least, going by their costumes.

"Meet Richard Grayson and Tim Drake, two of three Robins trained by Batman himself. The other, Jason Todd, has been confirmed dead. Logically, that would lead you to believe that our Robin is one of these two, right?"

"Right," Cyborg agreed.

"Wrong," Raven replied. "Sort of, anyway."

A third masked boy appeared on the screen. He was clearly their Robin.

"What you're about to see is perfectly real," Raven said.

The masks were instantly removed, revealing the faces of all three boys.

Cyborg gaped. "Hey…that's not even…"

"Dude…WHAT?!" Beast Boy cried.

"They look…so similar," Starfire said at last.

"That's because they are." Raven closed her eyes. "According to Batman's testing of Robin's DNA, he was designed to be a perfect blend of Dick Grayson and Tim Drake. A super clone, of sorts."

"…is that even possible?" Cyborg asked.

"Arguably. But maybe it isn't, as our Robin is an imperfect clone. You may remember that when we saw his face for the first time, his eyes were gray and…extraordinarily small."

"Like marbles," Beast Boy muttered. "Only smaller." He shuddered at the memory.

"That's where his imperfection shines through. His eyes have undergone some sort of mutation. They're too small and hypersensitive to bright lights. It's part of why Robin never takes off his mask. It's been specially designed to filter out any light source that would be too much for him."

"What's the other part?" Beast Boy asked.

"Unfortunately, whoever made Robin this way never intended for him to have a secret identity…or an identity at all. From day one, he was meant to be the perfect Robin…and no one else. He doesn't have another name or another face. He literally IS Robin, and believes as much…or, he should've. That's another flaw in his design. He's not obsessed with the idea of being only Robin…but he knows he has nothing else."

"So what would happen if he couldn't be Robin anymore?" Starfire asked softly.

"The resulting psychological stress could very well turn him into our greatest enemy," Raven answered.

"Whoa, hold up!" Beast Boy cried. "What makes you say that?!"

"Through the guise of Red X, Robin has already proven he knows exactly how to take each of us out. If we were to take away his identity, to strip him of everything he is and has come to accept as himself…he would go mad. There are no other options. It might take a while, but eventually he would blame us and see us as foes. Truthfully, it would be our fault…if we chose to do that."

"I do not wish to fight Robin again," Starfire said.

"I don't think any of us wants that." Raven sighed. "So I've called this meeting to decide Robin's fate. I will only take action if the decision is unanimous."

"So we have to vote," Cyborg stated.

"Yes. Each of us gets one vote. When you've decided, clear your thoughts of everything but your vote and stand up. Either Robin remains a Teen Titan…or we dismiss him. Either way, we all face the consequences."

Almost instantly, the other three Titans stood up.

Raven's face displayed no emotion. "Very well. We have decided." With that, she phased through the wall and was gone.

* * * * *

Robin looked up as Raven entered the cell again. "So you voted already?"

"Yes." She stared at him for a long moment before sighing. "Please don't insult my intelligence any further by acting as if you can't get out of there."

He gave her blank look and shrugged slightly.

The metal casing instantly split in half and fell to the ground.

"Had an itch," he admitted, scratching his left forearm vigorously. "So how long do I have to pack?"

"What?"

"How long until I have to leave?" he clarified.

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean," Raven replied.

Robin paused. "You can't mean…" he whispered.

"We all voted that you would stay. Don't tell me you're surprised."

"Even you?" he asked after nearly a minute. "Didn't Batman-"

"Yes, he did. And I, like the others, have decided to risk it. Believe it or not, this team wouldn't be the same without you as leader."

Robin gaped at her. "I'm still leader?"

Raven frowned. "Of course. What, did you think we were going to put you on reserve?"

"Well…I just assumed YOU would lead. That's how the chain of command goes, anyway."

"I only take command if you are unable or unfit to lead. Neither of those conditions has been met."

"But…how can you afford to trust me?" Robin asked.

"How can I afford not to?" she countered. "You're probably the one person on this plane of existence that knows me almost as well as I know myself. Before that, you trusted me while only knowing my name and what I could do. I see no problem in trusting you, now that I know more about you."

"But there's so much more you don't know," he insisted. "There are things even I don't know about myself!"

Raven smirked. "Now who's starting to sound like me?"

He stopped and looked away. "You could be making a big mistake."

"Maybe. But if so, the team made it together, and we're well aware of the risks." She held out her hand. "Face it, Robin. You're stuck with us."

Robin stared at her hand for a few seconds, and then sighed as he grasped it. "Somehow I never imagined you as the clingy type."

Raven smiled thinly. "It seems we're both just full of surprises today."

* * * * *

"They know."

Slack blinked and looked up at his partner. "So?"

Wolfram frowned. "They KNOW. About Robin."

"What's your point? Nothing will change. They're not going to break up over this."

"But are they supposed to know? What if they figure out the truth?"

Slack laughed. "They NEVER figure out the truth, Wolf. That's the beauty of it!"

"So you're not even a little worried?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"No way. They can't possibly trace his creation back to us. Glen made sure of it."

Wolfram relaxed only slightly. "Well, if you're sure."

"Definitely." Slack leaned back in his chair and propped his feet up on the table. "No one can touch us. No one can stop us. No one-"

There was a soft blip from the laptop in front of him.

"What is it?" Wolfram asked, leaning over his shoulder.

Slack frowned. "E-mail from an angry fangirl…"

* * * * *

"Maybe if we just combined the two names," Cyborg suggested. "How do you feel about Tim Grayson?"

"Or Dick Drake!" Starfire chimed in.

"Or Drake Mallard!" Beast Boy added.

Everyone else turned to stare at him.

"What?! It's a good name!" he insisted.

"…I think I have a better idea," Robin said at last, turning back to the computer.

"You have come up with your own name???" Starfire asked excitedly.

"Not exactly, Star," he replied, typing a command into the keyboard.

On screen, the words, "Name: Unknown" appeared.

"Dude, that's a sucky name," Beast Boy said with a frown.

"No, that's just it," Robin explained. "I won't HAVE a name. Don't you get it?"

"Not really," Starfire murmured. "Did we not all gather here to give you a name???"

"An enemy that knows your true name holds a lot of power over you. But imagine what it would do to a guy like Slade if he couldn't figure out one of our names…especially mine."

"It'd throw him off his game," Cyborg said slowly. "Shake him up real bad. You just might have something there, Rob."

"But…what will we call you?" Starfire asked.

Robin shrugged. "Same thing you always have. Just because we all know each other's names now doesn't mean we have to use them. We chose these identities for a reason, and I'm willing to respect that."

"Ironic how all this is Raven's fault, and we STILL don't know her real name," Cyborg noted.

"Actually…that is her real name," Starfire said quietly.

"How do you know that?" Beast Boy asked in shock.

"She told me when I asked."

"Oh. That makes sense. I guess."

Cyborg was just as confused. "Raven told you? Just like that?"

Starfire nodded. "She said it was only fair, since she knew my name, and because we are joined now…"

"You're WHAT?!" Beast Boy cried.

"Raven had to propose to Starfire to get her to reveal her name," Robin explained. "It's a law on her planet."

"Star…why didn't you say something?!"

"I did not think Raven would appreciate me telling everyone so quickly-"

"No, not that!" Beast Boy interrupted. "Are you telling me that all this time, I could've proposed and you would've accepted just like that?!"

Cyborg sighed and face-palmed. "I KNEW that's where he was headed…"

Starfire had the goodness to look slightly embarrassed. "Do not be so disappointed, Beast Boy. You are still my dear friend, and I am…almost positive I would've received your declaration of love in the same manner."

"Star, that is NOT helping at all!" Beast Boy moaned.

"Perhaps this will," Starfire suggested as she drifted over, wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing his face into her chest. "I now display my affection for you with what my people call the Embrace of Friendship. Are you comforted yet?"

"…I'm definitely comfortable," Beast Boy sighed dreamily.

Cyborg wanted to say something about how Starfire probably shouldn't be doing that. But, after seeing how happy Beast Boy was, and exchanging a guilty look with Robin, he finally cleared his throat and added, "You know, we're your friends, too, Star…"

* * * * *

Raven was not one to pose for many (or any) pictures. So the single framed photo of the team, placed strategically on her desk, meant an awful lot to her. They had all agreed to take a picture just after Robin's reinstatement (though, actually, they'd only detained him, not dismissed him).

Robin was in the center, of course, a smile on his face. To his immediate left stood Beast Boy…who wore a mischievous grin, as two green bunny ears were poking out behind Robin's head. Cyborg towered over them in the back, his large arms securing them in a group hug.

Naturally, Raven stood just outside of the hug (and she'd only managed it by phasing free mere seconds before the camera snapped). But , amazingly, she'd forgotten about Starfire, who had snuck up behind her just before the flash went off. Which left the Raven in the picture forever trapped in Starfire's warm embrace. That Raven seemed too surprised, while Starfire beamed at the camera, her chin on Raven's shoulder.

Raven had honestly not known how to react, even after the posing was done. But Starfire had saved her the trouble by giving her friend one last little squeeze before eventually letting go. Much as she didn't want to admit it, Raven knew there was more to that squeeze. It was almost as if Starfire were saying, "Don't forget that you are mine now, Raven."

And she was, in a way, if the Tamaranean "union" was as close to marriage as Raven suspected it was. She had consulted her books for any information, but her library was sadly lacking in details on the Vegan System, of which Starfire's planet was an important part. On the other hand, Starfire knew precious little about marriage, so they were both at a disadvantage of sorts.

Raven's thoughts were suddenly pierced by the strong sense of Starfire's approach. That was not really odd, as the alien girl was more emotional than all the other Titans combined. But she only projected so loudly when she was immensely excited or greatly upset…and for once, Raven had no idea which one she was currently feeling. All the same, she motioned for her door to open just before Starfire could knock.

Starfire barely stifled a surprised gasp, but relaxed immediately. "Raven, I wish to speak with you. May I enter?"

"Is this about my proposal to you?" Raven asked from her spot on the bed.

Starfire hesitated. "Yes…"

"Good. We need to talk about that."

With a relieved smile, Starfire drifted forward as the door closed behind her. "I was afraid you would not wish to discuss it."

"Well, this is important," Raven replied, patting the spot next to her. "And I do have some questions."

Starfire sat down beside her. "I will do my best to satisfy your curiosity."

Raven blinked. "Sure. Um…as near as I can tell, being someone's intended on your planet is the equivalent of being engaged on Earth. Is it safe to assume there is some kind of celebration to mark the official union?"

Starfire's face lit up. "Yes, there is a joyous, bountiful feast at which the intended profess their love."

"And the union itself…is an agreement to act as one, so to speak?"

Starfire tapped Raven's forehead, shoulder, and heart in succession. "One mind, one body, one heart."

"On your planet, are couples like us typical?"

A slight frown appeared on Starfire's face. "Not exactly. Usually the unions occur between a male and female. But I would never let something like that stand in the way of-"

"Starfire. On Earth, the union has to be a mutual decision. You're not supposed to be forced into it. That's why I'm willing to take back what I said earlier. It wasn't fair to either of us. We can just pretend the whole thing never happened, if you want."

"…you are giving me permission to void our union?" Starfire guessed.

"That's right."

"But…what if I do not wish to void it?"

That one caught Raven off guard. "What…?"

"What if I do not wish to void our union? Is that also acceptable to you?"

"I…I don't understand," Raven said at last. "Why wouldn't you want to void it?"

"The union will bring us closer together," Starfire replied. "I have always wanted that with you, Raven."

"You're not…saying you're in love with me, are you?" Raven asked in a wavering voice.

"No. But I am very fond of you, and I believe my affections toward you would grow if we were united."

"But…I've already told you, I have to keep my emotions in check. I might never be able to return your love…if you ever developed it, anyway."

Starfire shrugged. "What better test of love is there, than to love and be uncertain if it is returned? If I can continue to love you even when you cannot return my feelings, then I will know that we truly were intended."

Raven shook her head. "Starfire…I don't think you know what you're saying."

"I think you think that I DO know what I'm saying," Starfire countered. "And you are afraid, either that you will hurt me by not returning my feelings, or that you will do so by returning my feelings."

Raven glared at her. "I refuse to put you in that kind of danger. I won't agree to this union."

"A danger that you would face alone, rather than have someone who cared for you to help you fight?"

Raven opened her mouth, and then closed it. "Why me?" she asked after a moment. "Why not Robin? Or one of the other boys?"

"We are taught, when choosing from those not of our planet, to select the most similar to a Tamaranean. You are the only one that could ever pass for a member of my family."

"But we are nothing alike!"

Starfire shook her head. "All normal Tamaraneans are capable of flight and great strength. Cyborg is strong, but he cannot fly. While your strength is not physical, the power of your mind could rival any suitor on my planet."

"So you're only going along with this because I'm more suitable than anyone else?"

"Of course not." Starfire gently took Raven's hands in her own. "I understand that you must exercise precise control over your emotions. But that does not mean you shouldn't have the freedom to experience the same things that everyone else does. You should not have to be afraid of feeling…of falling in love, and being loved in return. Everyone should have that right."

"But I don't," Raven insisted softly. "Terrible things would happen if I-"

"What could be more terrible than not being allowed to feel, Raven?"

"You have no idea, Starfire. We're too different. I could never expect you to understand what I've been through…what I will go through in time."

"Then allow me to stand by your side, so that you won't have to bear these things alone."

"It's my fight, not yours," Raven replied. "You wouldn't be able to help, anyway."

"I can only do for you what you allow me to, Raven," Starfire reminded her. "If I cannot help you fight, then let me be your source of comfort. I could tell when I embraced you today that you are not used to such things."

"…you're not going to let me out of this union, are you?" Raven asked after a long moment.

Starfire beamed at her. "You may do as you wish…so long as you are willing to consume Pastries of Separation."

Raven frowned. "Is that anything like Pudding of Sadness?"

"Oh, no," Starfire answered seriously. "They are MUCH more flavorful."

"…how did that union ceremony go again?" Raven asked weakly.

The alien girl smiled in a way that was more seductive than it was innocent. "It involves an action very similar to the Earth concept of kissing."

"And you would know about kissing…how?" Raven murmured suspiciously.

"Beast Boy had some very helpful manuals in his room. Some of them were quite detailed, and-"

Raven ended that train of thought by leaning forward and pulling Starfire into a quick but effective kiss.

At first, Starfire just stared at her. Then large tears began to form in her eyes.

"What? What did I do wrong?" Raven asked with concern.

Starfire shook her head. "That was…my first kiss…"

Raven looked very relieved. "Oh. Well…that's what they're like."

"And are they always over …so fast?" Starfire asked hesitantly.

"No. Some can last much longer."

"Which ones?" the alien girl asked at once, blushing slightly.

"Second ones," Raven replied, leaning forward again…

* * * * *

Next Time: The morning after for Raven & Starfire (no, not THAT kind, you nasties!). Beast Boy thinks up the perfect way to get a new team member: advertising. The results are…well, you should know.