Fan Fiction ❯ To the end ❯ I ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

To the end
By blackjack kat
In a nutshell: people fear what they don't understand
 
 
The old worn down streets were packed with people. All were headed toward the creature, toward the center of the ruins. I pushed through the crowd of people to get a better look at this demon, this creature that demanded death. Scrambling through the angry loud crowd I finally broke free and got my clear view. I expected a monster, claws, dripping fangs, ragged clothes, but I saw nothing of the sort.
 
There she stood on a broke down archway, silhouetted against the sunset. Her billowy white dress and long brown hair blew in the wind. No signs of distress showed on her white face. No fear graced her features. Her whole figure was so beautiful when shone upon by the dying sun's rays. She stood tall and strong against the angry mob that swarmed below her. Her knuckles were white from the force she used to hold her book. A spell book maybe? Witch is what they called her, a demon at the right hand side of the devil.
 
She was an elf, the last of a dying race. Her race was feared for their pale skin, pointed ears, and graceful manner. Their connection to the earth and the world around them led to fear by humans who didn't understand anything. Elves were misunderstood and thought to be evil creatures.
 
Looking up at her now I realized that all the childhood stories and myths about how evil elves were wrong. Just looking into her eyes I knew she and her kind were nothing like that. She was no demon. Looking into her eyes I knew she didn't deserve the fate she was about to be dealt at the hands of the angry villagers.
 
My heart cried out for her and I felt incredible fear and urgency. I wanted to help her. I wanted to save this misunderstood women. Suddenly yet slowly her faze shifted from the mob to me. I was shocked by this move. Did she know my thoughts?
 
A group of scythe, rope, and axe carrying village men were making their way toward her. They were loudly clamoring up the broken down steps toward her. Their angry yells and taunts I could be heard clearly above the rest.
 
Run I plead with my eyes. Run and save yourself! She just continued to stare unafraid into my eyes. I suddenly felt totally at ease. My anxieties and fears left me. Her stare caused me to elapse into total tranquility. In that moment that our eyes locked I shared all of her fears, memories, and pride. She was not going to run. She was going to die. She knew it and I knew it. Her reasons became clear to me then.
 
Dirty, grubby hands reached out to her. Strong arms restrained her even though she gave no fight. Her book, filled with the ancient wisdom of her people, was thrown from her hands into the blood hungry crowd below. The villagers tore the book apart. They shredded the pages and destroyed the cover. Bits and pieces of the pages fluttered up into the air and passed by the elf's face.
 
Clear streams of tears coursed down her face as the noose was tied around her neck. Her tears were not for herself, but for her book. Facing death didn't leave a mark on her but this. . . She cried as the knowledge and memories of her people danced in front of her face in tattered pieces.
 
Cheers arose from the crowd as she was roughly pushed over the edge.