Fan Fiction ❯ Uknown ❯ chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
December 31st 3799
8:00 pm
The city was a buzz, all public recreations were closed as the citizens of Milestone city gathered to the square in preparation for the turn of the century, in a matter of hours the earth would be in it's 40th century. Trisha Locksmith sat on the couch in the middle of her future based living room watching the plasma televising built into the wall. It hadn't been very long since the earth had been transformed into it's future based stupor only 50 yrs from what she could remember of the stories her grand father had told her. Back then he had told her about transportation vehicles called cars buses planes etc., now they had no such things only their sliding side walks that led them to a public transportation bus that would take them to and fro work or school. If you had to travel abroad, it was strictly prohibited unless it was business related. Besides the world looked exactly the same every where, any possible world wonders where taken down duplicated and set in almost every part of the world for all those who wanted to see, and of course the original versions were stored safely away by the government. Human workers were rarely needed and only to program them, or when it came occupations such as doctors or psychologists other than that the robots that had taken over 90% of the work force.
 
“Trisha! What are you doing you're supposed to be getting ready!” Trisha groaned, “Aww mom do I have to, can't I just stay home and watch it on the television?” Miriam sighed. “Sweet heart you already watch enough things on television and besides, you know how important this is to your father.” Trisha frowned then looked up at her mother, “Why should I? He doesn't even Care about what's important to me all he does is stay in that stupid office of his and work 24/7” With that she stormed out of the living room into her room banging the door shut behind her. Her mother shook her head and went back into the kitchen to finish her work.
 
Trisha lay pouting on her bed, looking at the most recent family portrait taken of her family. It had been eight years ago on her 8th birthday, her father stood in the middle arms around Trisha and her mom who held little Joshua just three months old then. She smiled at how cute her little brother was and his smiling face, they were all smiling. “Not anymore.” She thought aloud. Suddenly a siren noise was heard, Trisha recognized it as the town alarm system, which signalized that it was about precisely two more hours until the gathering for the celebration of the turn of the century. She dragged herself out of bed and walked into the bathroom to freshen up, the door of the entrance to the living room was heard followed by Joshua's greeting. Trisha closed the bathroom door behind her and went to the sink, the tap gush out water as motion sensors picked up the movements of her fingers. She brought her cupped hands up to her faces and splashed the on the water, it felt warm and she proceeded to grab the bar of antiseptic soap near running it along the edges of her face. She rinsed up by splashing another handful of water unto her face, heading back to her room she went to her closet and looked for the most appropriate outfit for the gathering.
 
 
 
 
Chapter 2
11:00 pm
It was a cold evening. Michael Sven watched the crowd grow thicker as he neared the place of the gathering, he stood and headed to the front of the bus as it came to a stop, the doors slid open with a quiet swish and he stepped on to the sliding sidewalk that would take him the location of the gathering. He had a feeling at the back of his mind; he had had it all week in fact, as if he knew something was going to happen, something horrible that would change everything. As each second, each minute, each hour passed that feeling grew stronger and he was at that very moment tempted to head back to his home and hide, hide where no one would find him. Sweat droplets beaded at the top of his head. He looked at his watch, 11:30 pm half an hour until the ceremony. Suddenly the space around him grew smaller and more cramped, his nostrils seemed to tighten and he could not breath, he brought his hand to his neck and his vision was constantly focusing in and out. He fell to his knees and people around him began to question his well being, they huddled around him some nudging him by the shoulder. He tried to speak, as he looked up at them. Their faces would look like blended smudges at first, then suddenly as clear as the point of a needle. His eyelids grew heavier and then suddenly everything went black.
 
11:45 pm
Trisha stared at the forming crowd in front of her family; there was supposedly some kind of emergency going on from what she had heard while listening in on various conversations. She snapped her head back at the sound of wailing sirens; they came from an approaching ambulance. The vehicle, which seemed quiet fascinating to Trisha for it was very rare that she saw an automotive vehicle. She watched as men clad in white stepped out of the ambulance carrying a stretcher, the crowd dispersed and Trish caught sight of the supposed cause of turbulence. They pulled his limp body after confirming that he was still alive unto the stretcher and went in through the back of the ambulance the doors sighing as they closed behind them. Slowly everything went back to normal and people began focusing on the one reason they had come here eventually, the ambulance was long gone and the town square became visible. Miriam put her arms around both her children pulling them close in blissful assignment, Trisha and Jacob looked at each other rolling their eyes at their mother's silliness.