Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A chilly wind brought a few stray flurries past FeatherÕs icy pale cheeks. With a little nearly repressed shudder she wrapped her cloak of moonbeams tight around her, shimmering lightly. In the almost dark the nightmares moved like ghosts among the shadows, barely distinguishable from the others. She thought she saw one look her way and cringed a bit. ItÕs best not to let them look you in the eyes. They might take you. It was dangerous now to go out at night, but Feather couldnÕt help but feel drawn to it, to the starry sky and the crunch of the frost painted earth below her. Cold, yes it was cold, but it was already nearly the second season, and cold was surely to be expected. She carved out a little niche in the Reality and sat down, curling her legs tight to her chest. Seperate from it all, she could see the world much more clearly this way. A moonbeam floated by and she reached out her hand, the border between the worlds suddenly rippled as her fingers penetrated the surface, and she grasped the drifting piece of light, a bit of warmth shooting through her. Pulling herself back, she folded it neatly and slipped it into her pocket. It glowed brighter than the rest of her for a moment before relaxing in its new home.

ÒFeather....Feather...where are you now? CÕmon...come out...Ó a slightly whiny and just barely male voice echoed throughout the night. A few faces turned, and in the distance Sunny spotted a little shimmer that grew bigger until forming a vaguely human shape. The light subsided a bit, just enough for him to distinguish exactly who the shape belonged to. Horrendous plastic-y pink overalls way too large for their own good and with far too glittery straps. A barely there white half-top, and a cloak now hung nonchalantly off one shoulder. Could only be his sister. He shook his head a bit. Was that shifter junk all she ever wore?

ÒSunny, what are you doing out here?Ó Her melodious voice had an annoyed undertone and she narrowed her eyes at her brother.

ÒI could ask you the same question. YouÕre shifting again, arenÕt you. What did I tell you about that, youÕre gonna get labled. Then where will you be?Ó

ÒSo what if I was?Ó She rummaged around in her pocket as she spoke, pulling out a shiny packet and tearing it open with her teeth, downing the sugar in one swift gulp. ÒSunbeam, IÕm in my seventeenth term already. I think IÕm old enough to take care of myself.Ó

All he could do is sigh, and so he did. Feather yawned and pulled the other shoulder of her cloak up. Reality was colder than the Other Place. Sunny touched two fingers to the scanpad of his transport, and the light blue panel-door slid open soundlessly. He climbed in after his sister, who had already situated herself dangling upside down from the backseat. SunnyÕs fingers danced effortlessly across the keypad and they sped off, the nightmares whizzing by along with the others and their shadows. Feather pulled the moonbeam out of her pocket and unfolded it, folding it back in on itself and amusing herself with the shapes she could create.

In a breath the world rippled again. Feather almost saw a pair of eyes, but she wasnÕt sure. She was a bit too fast now, her sences were overeacting. She let her body relax and tried to calm her racing heartbeat. Yes...that was it. She could already feel herself focusing. Looking out the window she saw the lights streaming by. They seemed to slow down, until she could see each one. Others? No. They were no longer simply others. They were people. One looked up towards their transport. She focused on him and saw his black eyes quiver.