Fan Fiction ❯ War of Kings ❯ The War Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
The War Begins

The amount of black is overwhelming. Everywhere I- Elanume, Son of the Emperor of All- looked, I see nothing but the vast emptiness; the void that is aptly named, space. I was flying through this void in my ship. However, it is not just any ship, it is the ship that my Father gave to me. The ship had been a present to for my birthday. My Father had gotten every last one of the greatest scientific minds in the galaxy, in order to create for me, his only begotten Son, the ultimate in space crafts. This craft, so aptly named the Alpha’mega, had the one of the most unusual shapes that I had ever seen. If I were to stand directly over the little, one-manned, space craft I would see the silhouette of a dove. This was unusual only because most space ships of that day were made in a triangular or spherical shape. The Alpha’mega was not a craft of war, but as the design shape suggested, one of peace. As such it did not have any form of offensive weapon save for two plasmic discharge canons mounted on the ship, one on each wing. Each canon had an extremely slow rate of fire, only once every seven seconds, but the other little advancements more than made up for the lack of fire power. Due to the small size of the ship and the fact that the wings were made in such a way to allow movement, the ship was incredibly agile. Not only did the ship have the high agility, but it also had an almost absolute defense. This defense was a shield that covered the entire ship and could withstand almost any attack made against it. The only downside of this is the fact that I can not move when the shield is up. I had just found out that the home world of my bodyguards, the Osiri, had been attacked. Thus, I was flying my ship to try and prevent the destruction of the Osiri, an insectoid hominid that for as long as they have been alive have been the protectors of the royal family and the environment of Cygnus A, the galaxy we live in. These marvelous creatures were granted special abilities in order to increase the effectiveness of their guard. These abilities were found to vary between different family trees and as such all of the people that can use one type belong to one group and other people that can use another type belong in another group. Each planet is allowed only one set of powers in order to protect the environment of that particular planet. The same holds true for the royal family. Each member of our little trinity has one set of Osiri bodyguards. The abilities of the Osiri represented the different elements of life on a planet. Such as: fire, water, plants, sound, etcetera. However, only one was allowed to be in the actual presence of the throne room, the only one of his group, the Osiri of Light, Apollyon. He was such a vain person. Lording over the other Osiri that he was the strongest and the most influential because of his position in the throne room. Yet, no one could deny that he was an excellent guard. Any length of free time that Apollyon would get, he would spend training his skills. Whenever some jealous person would come and ask about his obsession with training himself, he would always answer with, “In order to better protect my Lords: the Emperor, His Son, and His Advisor.” Unfortunately, he is the reason that I am flying towards the now visible red dot in the midst of the black. Seeing my goal, I flew at a break neck speed toward the red dot of the planet Niflheim, the arid desert that the beautiful insectoids are from. Drawing close to the red planet, its fiery atmosphere suddenly jumped out at the Alpha’mega. My tiny craft, manned by the greatest pilot in the history of the galaxy, lazily swerved around the fiery explosion of gas. This eruption is exactly why the planet was named what it is. I slowly made my way through the explosion of gases from the atmosphere, deftly dodging each of the occasional blasts. After awhile I had finally touched down on the rocky ground of the red desert. Once the craft had settled on the soil, I rechecked what I had been told about the atmosphere of the planet. Checking my instruments told me that, while there is a high amount crocoite dissolved in both the air and the soil, giving the planet its red coloring, there was sufficient amounts of oxygen molecules in the air to let a human live comfortably. Feeling confident in my abilities I exited the cockpit and jumped down to the ground. Once on the ground I was blasted by the extreme heat of the planets twin suns at noon high. I decided to take of the heavy gowns of the royal family and stretched out in my more normal everyday clothes. These consisted of a pair of khaki pants and boots with the pants legs tucked into the boots; a loose fitting white t-shirt; black sunglasses to shield my eyes from the glare of the sun; and a wide-rimmed red cloth fedora, around which there is a single black stripe, in order to help keep the suns rays off the rest of my body. Just incase some wild animal found its way to my ship, I kept the gowns of the royal family around my neck in a loose fit scarf. I glanced around to find the source of the sounds of battle that I had heard at the moment of departure from my ship, and in the distance, not three kips from where I landed, was the battle. I briefly paused for a prayer of success, and then took off, dashing towards the unnecessary battle. The way was long and arduous, because every couple of gyts or so I was attacked by some assortment of the wild and ferocious carnivores that lived on the planet’s surface. Among these was the mighty Bjorak. This beast had teeth that were just shy of half gyt in length, each one of those teeth were also razor sharp as the beast would frequently sharpen them on the rocks of its hunting ground. The monster also had claws that were capable of tearing open holes in the hauls of spaceships. Like most other creatures that lived on the planet, this monstrosity was a bipedal and was capable of cognitive thinking. While it may not be able to give the average human a run for his money, it was elected to be on the list of the galaxy’s most intelligent creatures, making it in just in the top twenty. To make matters worse, these creatures usually came in pairs, one male and one female.