Fan Fiction ❯ Warriors Into the Tundra made from the Warrior book series ❯ The beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
The beginning
Chapter 1

Up on the four rocks, four cats sat down their eyes were on each other as if to make sure they would not attack.
“ Who shall go first,” asked Silverstar, shaking his tail. Ravenheart watched as the Riverclan leader , Bronzestar stood up, her fur shined in the mist of the moon. “ Our medicine cat has told us that eight cats have been chosen for a quest,” she mewed. “ The reason why is unknown as what our medicine cat said, anyway he told me that it is for urgent matters that will be seen in a dream sent by Starclan”. “What do you mean by a quest,” asked Snowstar, his eyes were full of hostility as he spat viciously?
Bronzestar backed away from the Thunderclan leader, her ear flat against her head. “ It was told in a dream sent to Meadowbrook,” she growled. Do you doubt the will of Starclan she added batting a paw in the air. Snowstar glared at her once more then gave a loud hiss. “ I don’t doubt the will of Starclan but how can anyone understand your wisecracking? “ When did Starclan star handing out invitations to quests,” growled Goldstar? His fur bristled and his claw were unsheathed. Bronzestar flinched, her eyes were weary of all the other cats curiosity of the quest as well. “ Well, spat Goldstar?
Bronzestar stood up her eyes looked offended so she scolded him with a burning glare that lasted for a moment. “Starclan only told us of a strong omen that they would give them the way for the journey. That is all they have told us, nothing has been said of who is going but, it was from the demand of Starclan and the hope of the forest that they go though, she meowed.”
“ That was all I had to say ,” Bronzestar growled bowing her head for silence. Cheetahfur watched as Goldstar and Snowstar told there news in peace, while Silverstar hesitated when he also had said news of the quest sent by Starclan.
Cheetahfur’s fur was bristling. “ What will come of this,” he spat. “ No one even knows of this quest. How could Starclan have done this?” A mrrow of laughter came from the white apprentice, Rainpaw who sat between Cheetahfur and Skytail, who was also a senior white warrior.
“ May I ask what is so funny,” Skytail spat? “ Or is it something that you don’t remember or can’t repeat,”
Rainpaw stared defiantly at him. Not a sniff of fear came from her, Cheetahfur admired her confident in spite of the fact that she wouldn’t reply to a warrior. “ Well ? What do you have to say,” he growled echoing Skytail’s thoughts.
Ignoring the two warriors orders Rainpaw yawned and shrugged her shoulders.
“ I know, you know,” spat Skytail hissing. Rainpaw snorted , her fur bristling out of confusing.
“ We weren’t doing anything, all we did was laugh,” hissed Rainpaw flicking her tail impatiently. “ If you two fur balls would listen every once and a while you wouldn’t have to get confused at something like a laugh. Though her eyes shined with confidence, her ignorance was intolerable. “She obviously needs too be punished,” snapped Skytail.
“ If I was her mentor she probably wouldn’t be this poorly mannered. I say that she should look after the kits for a while, that ought to make her less ignorant.” Though Cheetahfur hated to admit it she did need to lose some of her ignorance.
The last feeling he had at the Gathering was Rainpaw’s hostile stare of hatred as she heard that he had agreed with Skytail and later rushed into the bushes.
As Cheetahfur slept his fur bristled at the scent of hatred and dishonesties. The rage burned within him as if his pelt had turned aflame from raging hatred.
The picture of him on fire made him open up his eyes in panic.
The image dissipated soonly afterward. The only thing Cheetahfur could hear was the deep breathes from him and the scent of the other warriors in the den.
Stopping to realize what had happened, he took deep breathes in. The sound of the river soothed him for a moment.
Riverclan cats were fine at swimming, and though Cheetahfur was a Riverclan cat he despised swimming too much. Just the thought of swimming made Cheetahfur’s body shake with disgust.
He didn’t mind swimming every once and a while but when he had to hunt every day in the river he just shivered at the scent of the river though the sound of the river often soothed him.
Next to him curled up in to a ball was the warrior Tallfoot. Tallfoot often like to talk to Cheetahfur, though he had hardly any friends he was liked throughout the clan for his hard efforts and bravery.
The closest friend he had was Tallfoot who often hunted at night, since he was at the Gathering he did not dare stay up to hunt. For his strength would surely give in.
Pausing to scent the air with his mouth , Cheetahfur smelled the refreshing smell of pine trees and oak trees. Relaxed Cheetahfur yawned once more then closed his eyes to the sound of the river.

“ Wake up you stupid furball ,” hissed Rainpaw teasingly.
Well are you going to wake up or what, she added flicking his nose with her tail while laughing.
“She just can’t stop herself can she he spat under his breath.” “ I guess not laughed Tallfoot batting Cheetahfur on the head with his paw.
The moon has set, and the sun has rised so get to your paws you lazy furball.
Cheetahfur shook his head, bewilder by the thought of other cats voices.
Tallfoot padded up to him and removed his paws from his face, which shielded the light from his eyes. Brightness shone into Cheetahfur’s green eyes. “ What in the name of Starclan did you do that for,” he hissed trying to shield his eyes with his paw. You are going to pay for that he spat as he arched his back into a strenght. You’re going to regret that you ever did that Tallfoot. He leaped from his nest, tripping Cheetahfur spat as he tasted the dirt which he fell upon.
“How does the dirt taste,” laughed Tallfoot glaring at the golden and dusky brown tabby tom.
Your going to be turned into crowfood spat Cheetahfur racing after his friend into the crowd of cats. Among the cats was Skytail and Rainpaw, almost identical except for the fact that Skytail had long hair not medium like Rainpaw.
“ I’m going to kill you for that Tallfoot,” Cheetahfur added stomping his paw against the ground. Dust flew around him, like swarming insects. The dust made his eyes flick from it getting in his eyes. Pawing at his eye, he noticed that Rainpaw wasn’t with Sierrapaw that instant.
Shaking his head once more he padded over toward the nursery, dust still in his eyes. A young queen slept in a nest not far from the entrance.
He recognized that the she-cat was Rapidwind, a gray queen. Padding up to her, he realized that she was nursing two kits. One pale gray the other was dark gray like herself.
Watching as the two small kits scrambling around near their mother. Like any other cat Cheetahfur pitied any kit or cat who couldn’t fend for itself. His tail brushed softly against the pale gray kit’s head.
“What was this remorse all about anyway,” he questioned himself? As if gaining strenght from Cheetahfur the pale kit squealed a small yet loud mew.
“His eyes are opening,” cried Cheetahfur almost indulged by the kit’s will. In the mist of the den a strong scent faded as he turned his head he saw that the medicine cat had left the den.
“Hmmm,” yawned Rapidwind, waking up from her sleep. “Rapidwind look at your kit’s eyes. It looks as if they are going to open!”
She paused to yawn once more then stared sternly at the two prodding kits. The young kit Sierrapaw padded up to him her gray fur was almost identical to the one of the pale kit’s. “ Wow, he’s finally going to open his eyes, then Rapidwind may take both their names!”
The queen silently nodded at the kit’s intelligence of where kits names begin.
Even the tiniest kit knew that if there were no queens the way of life in Riverclan, for if a lot of warriors died how could we stand without any apprentices therefore the whole balance as they knew would slowly go out of place.
The smell of reeds imbedded on the queens nest stuck at Cheetahfur’s throat like bile. As he ignored the smell of the reeds he watched as the tiny pale kit’s eyes flashed open.
“He has blue eyes like his mother,” purred Sierrapaw, her green eyes shining. “Wait until I’m a warrior you sweet little kit, I will always be there to help you in times of need.”
He realized that like Sierrapaw who was almost a warrior was also the queen’s kit so that was why she was so interested in what she had to say.
“Brilliant speech,” young kit purred the medicine cat Meadowbrook, who had returned to the nursery once more. “I think that the other little kit shall soon also open her eyes but until then you should go and train Sierrapaw with your mentor like Rainpaw is.”
The apprentice opened her mouth in protest but soon turned and stalked away grumbling.
Wow she really is like her friend Rainpaw, Cheetahfur thought remembering the stubborn and courageous young cat who had refused to talk to Skytail. “I know of much now to come back and see the kits once more after they are named,” Cheetahfur mewed. “ They are very fine kits by the way Rapidwind.” The queen gave a nod then slowly closed her eyes once more and covered her tail over the kits for warmth.
“Yes these are her second litter of kits as well as Silverstorm, Meadowbrook purred her dark gray tail swooshed in the wind. “The wind is calm right now you should go hunt. For Rapidwind needs rest so she may also she the other kit open her eyes.”
Getting the message that he should leave he padded away from the medicine cat and clawed at the grass arching his back.
“Hope you don’t spoil the prey by doing that,“ spat a voice he recognized. “Do you mind, Rainpaw?” The she-cat laughed once more her fur sparkled with an irresistible glow. Cheetahfur stared at her speechless. A confused look spread across Rainpaw’s face.
He shook his head once more getting the image out of his head. “Well why aren’t you hunting,” he growled trying to ignore her cold and hostile stare.
Her eyes sparked of undying radiance as she leaped off a rock where she sat. “Me”
“Well my mentor let me have the day off today because of my good hunting as well as awesome attack moves not to mention my great speed,” she meowed praising herself.
“Figures that all you would say after all the only reason Silverstorm even allowed you to have the day off was because his kits eyes are going to open today. In fact one already has opened his eyes, nice blue eyes like his mother.” Rainpaw gave a curt nod then flicked his nose with her tail as she padded off into the distance. “Mouse-brain,” he snapped swiping after her tail. “ Can’t catch me she laughed going out of the camp.
Cheetahfur snorted. “Good now we can finally get some peace in this camp,” he hissed.
He padded over to where the warriors slept. Though it had been a short day and the sun hadn’t set yet he tensed realizing he was tired.
Shaking his head he turned and headed toward the river and out of camp. The silent sound of the river made his muscles relax and his back felt no pain which he usually felt when swimming throughout the water and running after prey which sometimes wasn’t fish. He took a step forward and pawed at the water.
Cheetahfur sighed.
Why is it so silent all of a sudden, he thought to himself staring into the water he recognized there was a white cat behind him ready to pounce. Knowing who it was made him alert and silent. Watching as a fish jump out of the water and onto the ground from the power from his paws. “I will make her think I am hunting then I can avoid her attack that she says she is so good at, he thought mocking her movement of tail as she started towards him, claws clashed the ground and wind made the grass blow from its pressure.
Turning to face her, laid on the ground showing his soft belly then when she got close he realized she wasn’t going to jump at him but claw at him. Springing to his paws he leaped into the water to avoid her blow.
She didn’t stop racing toward the river. Her paws braced the ground and she leaped onto Cheetahfur growling. “Rainpaw when will you learn, he hissed batting her on the ear with his paw. “You know better then to sneak on to me like that.”
“Why?”
“Is it because I actually attacked you even though you saw me and could of swam away. You stupid furball she purred laughing while an unreadable look glowed like the moon above.”
She hissed “It’s getting late and I haven’t hunted! After all I did, I still have no prey.”
Cheetahfur sensed something among the bushes his flank heaved with a sudden strike of curiosity as if he were a apprentice. “Well it’s not to late, he hissed. He knew if it was something dangerous the apprentice would want to stay only to be injured or worst killed.
She gave him a curt nod then gave a narrow escape through some reeds surrounding the river. The scent was unknown to Cheetahfur so he padded softly among the soft, wet grass.
If it was an enemy cat it was probably a Shadowclan cat, for they can see the best in the dark as well as the fact that they had less prey now that it was leaf-fall.
As he lifted himself from the water a cold rush of air made his body shiver. How he missed the season of green-leaf for the prey amount was large as well as the heat which was more refreshing for using the river to cool down.
The scent got stronger and the scent of Twolegs filled his noise. “That smells awful,” he hissed flattening his ears and making his eyes into slits. An echo sounded off in his mind. Was this a trap or was it something much worse.
Bunching his muscles together he sprang at the bush using his hind legs.