Fan Fiction ❯ Weird ❯ Weird ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

No one ever thinks that it can happen to them.

But I'm living proof that it can.

You see, I'm living proof that the universe really doesn't care who it screws over, and I have to tell you the only consideration it makes to you is that it takes everything away just when you have reached the pinnacle of happiness, and sends you deep into the blackest pits of despair.

That's what it seems like to me at least, as my world had finally come together before all this happened.

Let me tell you a bit about myself. I'm what is commonly called a Breeder among my people, although there is probably a more scientific name for it somewhere. Breeders where pretty rare among a sterile race, they had some strange little twist in their DNA that made them able to get pregnant by anyone, they only had to will it to happen. A couple hundred years ago, Breeders didn't exist; they didn't need to on our advanced world where population was starting to reach dangerous proportions. But then there was the nuclear explosion and everyone was sterile. My people almost died out then, the females had been hit worst and were almost extinct. Imagine everyone's surprise when a young boy, a victim of rape, got pregnant? Anyway that changed our world, this boy and his daughter became heroes pretty well, and my people burst out of the Dark Age and moved back into scientific enhancement, tracking down the DNA strand that made this miracle occur, and cherishing the Breeders.

I got off track didn't I? Well, like I said I'm a Breeder, although unlike the first Breeder, I'm female. I grew up in a pretty small complex, Breeder's aren't as rare as they used to be, all those years ago, and I didn't find my life anything special. I went to school with all the other kids during most of the year, and worked my ass off in the summer doing chores in my father's shop. Just last year, a partner was picked out for me. And everything changed.

You see, the scientist's now pick partners for Breeder's to enhance the chance that the babies will be Breeder's as well, something about working towards making the whole race Breeder's sometime in the future. I bet they never thought it would happen this way though...

Now, to get back on track, about a month after I was informed of the choice of my soon to be husband, I met him. I hated him on sight. He was arrogant and rich, and looked down on my middle class upbringing, taking every chance he could to insult me. Me being the charming girl I am, fought back, and fought back dirty. The servants at his estate had to separate us and keep us in opposite wings. After a couple months of being forced to endure each other's company, we became well, not friends, but not enemies either. Things quieted down a bit and the plans for the wedding finally began.

My friends convinced me I had to take one last trip before I was confined to the planet for my pregnancy, and I leapt at the chance, wondering if I would meet some dashing stranger and have a one night stand before life of married co-existance. So I booked passage on a trade ship on it's way back to a neighboring planet.
My vacation there was great by the way, I got a nice tan, spent some time on the beaches, and got to stare at half naked cute guys for hours on end. But I started to get homesick, and actually wanted to get back to get married. I may not like the fool that was picked for me, but I wanted a child. Breeder instincts are strong little things.

The night before my shuttle was to depart for home, it was all over the news. A race of pirates was cruising through the system and got tracked by the authorities. There was a firefight, and one of the pirate ships veered off course and crashed into my planet. The planet blew up. There were no survivors. My race became extinct that day; I was the only one of the hundred or so people who lived on that planet who hadn't been there at the time.

I wandered around the resort planet in a state of shock for a couple days, thinking it was some bad dream. I was snapped out of it with a vengeance when I was kidnapped one night while sitting on a dark beach thinking.

I spent two long months as a servant on the pirate ship, probably from the same fleet that had wiped out my people. Then I saw my chance. We were on our way through a galaxy that hadn't yet made contact with the rest of the galaxy, and only one of the planets even bore life. They had made a couple space missions, just to the moon and back, and some automated missions to the neighboring planets. When the pirates were all drunk that night, I stole an escape pod and set their systems to overload. They all died and I crashed down onto this primitive planet.

So, even though I, in a way, avenged the death of all my people, I killed almost a hundred more. Revenge is a bittersweet thing. And now, as the last of my people, I am doomed to live out my life on this backwater place. There will be no rescue. No one knows I'm even alive anymore.

So there it is, written here in the log file of this damn escape pod. It's run out of resources for me, and although I don't relish going into the wilds of this planet, I don't want to die yet. I hope it won't be too bad, from the research I've done, their people are a lot like we were about five hundred years ago. Same type of social structure, almost the same looks, and a bunch of other similarities. They are just primitive. People from other planets are a fantasy to them, something to amuse their minds, and they seem to enjoy being paranoid about 'alien abduction', and aliens taking over their world, even though they don't believe in aliens. Someday, in the distant future, maybe the people from this planet called Earth will find this pod and this log. And maybe someday they will learn that aliens really live among them.