Fan Fiction ❯ What does it take to be noticed? ❯ Prolouge- My Life as a Nobody ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
All my life, I've been surrounded by people telling my brother how good he is at sports. They never pay attention to me. It's all about him. I hate it because I my parents always compare me to him. It's always "Why can't you be good at sports, Emily?" or "See, Emily? Jesse got another trophy for his sports. Isn't he wonderful?" or "I know, Emily, but Jesse needs the money to buy another sport set. He's so dedicated. Why aren't you like that?"

I'll introduce myself, My name is Emily. Emily Poasen that is. I live here in America where I was born. I live in California and I hate it. Mainly because of all the noises. When I grow up, I'm moving to New Jersey. I went there once and loved the peace and quiet there. So that's my goal for now. I have blond hair that reaches my waist and blue eyes that some people say shimmer in the sun light. I have no idea what they're talking about. I usually wear light pastel colors since I hate dark colors.

I have an older brother. His name is Jesse. He has spiky blond hair and blue eyes like me. He's a year older than me, 18. He thinks he can boss me around like a little servant, but I usually respond with a quick kick to the knee. We go to the same school and there he's the "Popular Jock boy" and I'm just the "Popular Jock's Sister." He drags me around everywhere he goes and acts like he cares for me just to up his reputation. People see me as the abusive little sister. Like I care what they think.

People usually think that I'm stupid just because I'm blond. I'm the opposite. I'm a straight A student and I hate wearing short skirts. As long as they reach my knees, I'm good. I'm fairly good at sports,but that's only because my parents make me. "Your brother needs someone to practive with and you need to get in shape." I hate my parents because all they care about is Jesse. Nothing else matters. What Jesse wants, Jesse gets. And it drives me crazy! Just like that, I'm forgotten. I'm just the little girl who Jesse uses to up his reputation. The little sister of the Popular Jock boy. The daughter that no one notices.

It frustrates me the way everyone passes by me to congratulate Jesse on his victory. That's the reason no one knows that I sing. I sing quietly to myself when I'm alone and sometimes, I'll sing at a club, but that's only kareoke. No one noticed that I was gone during the parties. I'd often go to the roof and sing quietly. Lately, I had been writing my own songs.

Another one of my talents was drawing. The paintings on the wall were mine, but I pretended like I had bought them and hung them in my room. No one noticed them though. They noticed Jesse's trophies across the room though. You see, Jesse and I share a room even though Jesse has most of the space. My parents gave him that too. So all I have is my bed, my computer, my tv, my desk, and my chair. With the occasional stuffed animals I bought. I never get a big allowance. Hell, they never remember to give me my allowance and I never ask them for it. That was because I worked and of course, no one noticed that too.

I worked as a waitress at a local cafe. The only bad thing was that the waitresses had to wear a maid costume. It was a roleplaying cafe. The girls were maids and the boys were butlers. There were two main people though. The lord and lady also known as the owners of the cafe. It's not surprising that the cafe was expensive and formal. I knew the owners personally so they gave me the job. They were my best friend's parents. So together, she and I pretended to be the Lord and Lady's maids.

And let me tell you, it's one of the best jobs you'll ever get.You always get big tips and you have a great time there. Her parents are the best and they actually pay attention to me. They don't care much for sports.

Let me introduce you to my best friend, her name is Jennifer Parkensin. She looks like my twin with her long blond hair and blue eyes. The only difference was that she dressed in shades that were a tad darker than mine. We act almost exactly the same. It's a plus that she hates my brother. You see, she thinks he's a, and I quote, "A stupid, scum bag that uses his looks and sports victories for glory. He should Go. To. Hell." You get the message right? Right, she absolutely hates him.

Now back to the original topic. I'm sick of people ignoring me in favor of my brother. That's why I entered myself in my school's talent competition. I entered myself for singing. That's right. My first live performance in front of a crowd. I intend to win this and show that I'm just as good as my brother. This time, it's my turn to shine and everyone will notice me.

Wait a second, live crowd? Oh hell, what have I gotten myself into? But it's too late to turn around now. It's time for me to have the lime light. It's my turn! Because all I want is to be noticed.

Just once, I wish I could measure up to my older brother. Just once, I wish people would see me as Emily Poasen, not Jesse's Sister.

And I'm going to do it...if I don't mess this up of course.