Fan Fiction ❯ While You Were Sleeping: Rauru's Diary ❯ Chapter The First! ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
While You Were Sleeping
Selections from Rauru's Diary
By Galaxy Girl

This fic shows exactly what happened those seven long years while Link was asleep in the Sacred Realm... And it will eventually tell you exactly how he got those adult clothes and earrings!

PS: Special thanks to my dear sweet sister Blue Butterfly 19 for inspiring me to write this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rauru's Diary
__________________________________
Day 1

Dear Diary,

Finally, something interesting has happened! Some kid named Link, with the help of Princess Zelda, has really screwed stuff up around here. He let the Gerudo King Ganondorf get ahold of the Triforce.
Yep, he snuck right into my temple and stole it right out from under my feet as I took my late mid morning nap!
Creep.
So, now this kid Link is stuck in here with me. He's not much fun.
All he ever does is sleep.
I was looking forward to FINALLY having someone to talk to besides my faithful teddy bear Mr. Sniffles, but then it turns out the kid is supposed to sleep for another seven years!
I must have done something really bad in a past life to deserve this.
___________________________________
Day 4

Dear Diary,

I've been watching that kid Link for the past few days. He just lies there in the middle of my Sage circle, sleeping.
Where the heck did this kid come from, anyway? I mean, look at him! Those weird clothes... What's with the skirt?
And that hat. Big fashion No-no.
I took the liberty of taking off the hat. What's the kid gonna care anyway? He's asleep.
And what did I find in there? A really tiny bug. It was blue, and glowing. It was asleep too.
So I took out my "Monster Desk Reference" and found out it was a fairy, more specifically, the guardian type.
So, the kid's one of them "Kokiri" thingies, huh?
Hmm. If I'm stuck in here with a sleeping kid and a fairy for seven years, I must have done something REEEEEEALLY bad in a past life.

_____________________________________
Day 10

Dear Diary,

Woke up today. Brushed my teeth. Ate a bagel with pineapple cream cheese. Warped to the Sage Chamber. Stared at the kid.
Wow, this is gonna be a long seven years.

________________________________________
Day 14

Dear Diary,

I read in a philosophy text that people are supposed to be able to hear you when they're sleeping. So that kid can hear me, huh?
I supposed I'd better do the right thing. I introduced myself to him today.
"Hi. I'm Rauru, the Sage of Light. Welcome to my humble abode."
The kid didn't say anything.
Jeez, what a brat!
Oh wait, yeah, he's asleep.
Hmmm. The least he could do is snore!
I sat there for a minute. I was really getting kind of tired. And angry.
Finally, I stood up and screamed, "Jeez, I'm taking care of you for the next seven years, and the least you could do is talk to me!"
Suddenly, the kid leaned his head back and made a snorting noise.
"What did you say?"
Snort.
I decided to play along with his little game.
"So, you're Link, huh? You like toys?"
Snort.
"Really? Well, I happen to collect them! I've got all of the Keaton merchandise there is!"
Snort.
"You like Keaton? You wanna see my collection?"
Snort.
"Wow! Great!"
I found a nice wheelbarrow in my garage and strapped the kid to it. Then, I wheeled him all the way to my prized Keaton room, and showed him my stuff.
He snorted that he liked it.
Then we went back to the Chamber, and I made sandwiches.
The kid wasn't very hungry.
Oh well. I had an extra sandwich.
"Ya know Link, I think we're going to have a really great time these seven years!"
Snort.
"That's right! So what if Hyrule is in disarray? I've finally got someone to talk to! The last of the other ancient Sages died 20 years ago... Oh well, now I've got a new friend!"
Snort.
"You're right. This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship!"
___________________________________________
Day 25

Dear Diary,

Link and I went for a stroll today. We talked about a lot of things. He told me all about his friends in the Kokiri Forest, and this big tree thingy doodad that could talk.
I told him about my family, the other Sages, and what I usually did during the day to entertain myself.
Then, we went out for ice cream.
Boy, that Link is a great kid!
___________________________________________
Day 36

Dear Diary,

I heard a big explosion today. Sounds like Ganondorf blew up Hyrule Castle Town.
Hmm. There goes my weekend shopping excursions!
Link decided he wanted to do Karaoke today. I plugged in my machine, and I performed "Karma Chameleon" and "Nobody Wants To Be Lonely".
Link did "Panama" and "Doesn't Really Matter". I'd say he needs to work on his lyric timing some more.
_____________________________________________
Day 42

Dear Diary,

Link and I played Truth or Dare. I dared him to hold still for ten minutes and not move at all. He won.
He dared me to fall asleep. I won.
When I woke up, he was still holding still.
"Man Link, you're good at this!" I said.
_____________________________________________
Day 68

Dear Diary,

Today Link didn't feel like doing anything. So, like any good friend, I dug through his stuff.
I took out his little fairy thing, and decided to play airplanes.
The poor fairy crashed.
After I bandaged her wing back up, I asked Link what he wanted to do.
That brat went and called me a bad name!
"You're such a creep!" I said. "I'm not going to speak to you for a year!"
And I meant it!
____________________________________________
Day 183

Dear Diary,

Good, I finally found you under my bed. Now I can write again!
Link and I still aren't speaking. He's back in the Chamber.
I haven't heard a peep out of him since we got in our little fight.
I miss talking to him. Mr. Sniffles is getting kind of sick of hearing about my problems.
Maybe tomorrow I'll go talk to him.
____________________________________________
Day 184

Dear Diary,

I went to talk to Link today. That jerk wouldn't even speak to me!
Hmmph. I'm going to leave him there for a while.
____________________________________________
Day 365

Dear Diary,

This morning, who did I get a call from, but Nayru herself!
She asked me how Link was doing.
I told her Link and I were having a disagreement and I hadn't seen him for over six months.
She freaked out and told me that tomorrow, I would HAVE to go see him again. He'd better be ready to make up!
Nayru calmly explained to me that my job was to look after Link until he woke up. And that I couldn't leave at all.
I sighed and said goodbye.
It looks like I'm going to have to talk to Link the Fink again. If only he hadn't called me a... no, I refuse to write that in my diary!
_______________________________________________
Day 366

Dear Diary,

I walked very slowly to the Chamber today. It was time for me to talk to Link again.
When I got there, he was STILL lying there in the middle of the floor.
"Um... hi, Link."
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...
"What? You're apologizing?"
ZZZZZZZZZZZ...
"Oh good. I'm glad we're not fighting anymore! So... uh, what do you want to do?"
ZZZZZZZ... snort!
"Oh, that's a great idea!"
I got out my special nail polish collection and I gave Link a lovely manicure.
"Do you want Fire Engine Red or Perfect Pink Passion?"
Snort!
"Oh, yes, the red really does wonders for that unusual shade of blond your hair is!"
______________________________________________
Day 396

Dear Diary,

Link and I did each other's hair today. He didn't really do a good job on my hair. I gave him some lovely cornrows. I was about to French Braid his hair, when I saw something unusual.
"Hey Link, your shirt is ripping!"
I checked out the seams. The poor little dude was growing too big for his clothes.
"Aw, it's OK," I said. "Tomorrow, I will come back with some new clothes for you, in the style you like!"
So later, I sewed up some more green clothes for him. The same style of his old ones, but big enough for him now.
He tried them on, but he didn't thank me. I knew he would have had he been awake.
_________________________________________________
Day 460

Dear Diary,

Today Link and I decided to go over my Beanie Baby Collection. He was surprised to see that I not only had a Royal Blue Peanut, but also a Chilly the Polar Bear!
"ZZZZZ... snore, snore, snort," he asked.
"Oh, I just shopped around. And I finally found a Humphrey the Camel, too!"
He was impressed. Or, he would have been, had he been awake.
_____________________________________________
Day 547

Dear Diary,

Link has grown out of his clothes again. I had to make him a bigger set again.
This time, he requested that I make him some maroon gauntlet gloves to go over his hands.
"Why?" I asked.
He told me it was to protect his hands from the rough treatment that sword usage does to them.
I made him the gloves and a new tunic.
Then, he asked me to get him new underwear.
I had to say no to that one.
_____________________________________________
Day 643

Dear Diary,

Link was being boring today, so I went through his stuff again. I found all sorts of cool things, like a Slingshot and a Boomerang...
I decided that my good old buddy Link wouldn't mind if I used his stuff for a while.
So I went to the Light Temple with his Slingshot and Boomerang, and broke all 54 of my windows. It was depressing how bad of an aim I was.
___________________________________________
Day 730

Dear Diary,

Today was Link's second anniversary of being here in the Sacred Realm asleep. I baked a cake to celebrate.
Link wasn't hungry again.
I ate the cake myself, and then took a picture of Link in that adorable party hat I put on him.
Even his fairy thingy looked good in its little party hat.
We took a group picture, and I stuck it in my photo album.
I will treasure it always.
__________________________________________
Day 810

Dear Diary,

Today was my birthday. I baked another cake.
Link protested and said he wasn't hungry, but I made him eat my cake. He told me it was good.
Then we all sang Happy Birthday to me, and we played my favorite birthday game, Pin-The-Tail-On-The-Donkey.
Link was the Donkey. I WON!
Link said my prize was something out of his backpack. I picked the Boomerang.
It was so much fun practicing throwing it!
I broke some more windows, and Link told me I needed more practice.
Wow, what a great friend that Link is.
___________________________________________
Day 954

Dear Diary,

I was really bored today. So I scheduled a date with one of my old college friends. She is really cute.
I was really nervous about meeting her. Link reassured me and told me that I should practice on him.
To make him look more convincing, I took a pair of tights, a skirt, and some make-up out of my mom's old hope chest in the attic and tried them out on Link.
He looked so cute.
I practiced my lines on him.
"Hello Clarice, how are you?"
"Hello Clarice, I'm Rauru. Remember me?"
"Hello Clarice, you fine, foxy lady..."
Link told me not to use that one.
Day 955

Dear Diary,

I still can't get those tights off of Link. I have to say, they look pretty good on him.
My date with Clarice last night turned out OK. She said that she had a good time, and she'd call me, and I shouldn't call her.
Man, I'm a woman magnet!
And it was all thanks to my best buddy in the whole wide Scared Realm, Link!
What a pal!
_____________________________________
Day 1000

Dear Diary,

It's been 1000 days here in the Sacred Realm with Link. He's such a good pal. He didn't even complain when I ran out of green material to make him more bigger clothes and had to dress him in pink for a few days.
I still can't get those tights off.
______________________________________
Day 1025

Dear Diary,

Today I gave up pulling the tights off Link. They're one-size-fits-all, so they should fit him for quite a while. They look good on him anyway.
He protested at first, but I think he likes them.
Oh Link, when will he learn he can't fool his best friend?
_________________________________________