Fan Fiction ❯ Will D. Beest ❯ Oh, Brother ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: I decided to address a review I got asking why Cyborg would build a crib instead of buying one.

Chapter 2: Oh, Brother

Raven decided not to tell the other Titans about their late-night intruder. Whatever the creature had come for, it had only been interested in her room, and she didn't think it was anyone else's concern.

This turned out to be a very good idea, as everyone else was focused on the new arrival. It was getting to the point where Raven couldn't even look somewhere without being reminded of the baby. There were little tufts of fur on the floor, and as she made her way to the kitchen, Raven silently hoped someone had had the common sense to keep the baby out of there.

But it was not to be. The first thing she saw was a huge, green gorilla sitting at the end of the table. Then she spotted the odd harness it wore on its chest, and the small, furry head poking out of said harness. The only real relief was that the gorilla was clearly male.

"Still haven't mastered female animals?" she asked mildly.

The gorilla startled her by opening his mouth and replying, "Nope, but I learned to do this."

"Oh, joy. Now you can tell those awful jokes no matter what you are." Raven turned away to fix her tea.

"HE likes my jokes," the gorilla muttered.

"Beast Boy, you can't think he knows what you're saying?"

"Sure he does! He's really smart! Listen to this! Who's the leader, kiddo? Leeee-der?"

"Wabin!" the baby replied, clapping his little hands.

"See?! He's a prodigy, I'm telling you!"

Raven sighed. "So he can say our names. It's not like he just learned them."

"What are you talking about? Of course he did!"

"No, he didn't." Raven lowered her voice. "He's not saying our names because he hears them. He's saying them because he remembers them."

"…what?"

"Beast Boy, he's seen us before. At least, he's been around a group of Titans before. That's how he knows us…and it's probably who brought him here."

"How is that even possible?"

Raven shrugged. "Time travel, possibly. All I know for sure is when I checked out the basket he came in for psychic residue, I picked up someone familiar. Vaguely, anyway."

"Who?"

"Supergirl. At least, an alternate version of her. The pattern was slightly off, but I could tell it was her. She must be one of the two `parents' that brought him, though I doubt they're related."

The gorilla stared at her. "You know you sound crazy, right?"

"What's crazier: my theory, or a genius animal baby?"

"…okay, so say I believe you. Why haven't you said anything to the others?"

"Because I don't want Cyborg trying to build his own time machine, for one."

The gorilla grinned. "I knew it! You don't wanna send the little tyke back! You LIKE him!"

"What I like is our world not collapsing on itself. There's no telling how that one visit will effect our time stream. Just his being here might cause a multitude of unlikely events. But we can't risk damaging time any further. It's best we just keep him here…and keep our mouths shut. Understand?"

"Yeah, okay. But only if you give him a kiss!" The gorilla held out the baby expectantly.

Raven glared at him, but she could tell he was not going to relent. With a sigh, she pressed a finger to her lips, and then laid it gently on the baby's head. "There. Happy?"

"It's a start. Next time you'll have to hold him for a whole minute," the gorilla threatened with a grin.

* * * * *

"Presenting…THE T-CRIB!!!" Cyborg shouted in an overly dramatic voice.

"Um…okay," Robin murmured, staring at the odd contraption before him. "What does it do?"

"I'm glad you asked, Robin! To demonstrate the T-Crib's state-of-the-art design, I'll need some lovely assistance. Lovely assistant?"

Starfire punched the crib experimentally a few times. She was not, of course, using her full strength, as her fists bounced back each time.

"The T-Crib is constructed of super baby-safe rubber, soft yet firm to keep our bouncing baby boy in! BUT THERE'S MORE!!! Please do continue, lovely assistant."

Next, Starfire (to Robin's horror) took out some of her infamous fuzzy, blue food and placed it inside the crib. Instantly, there came the sound of gas escaping, even as a display screen slid out of Cyborg's arm. "Warning: Presence of Foreign Waste Products Detected. Commencing Air Sanitization."

"And how does the T-Crib smell now, lovely assistant?" Cyborg chuckled, elbowing Robin.

Starefire sniffed the crib and gasped. "Like a refreshing, cool breeze!"

"Yes! The T-Crib comes with automatic air fresheners. BUT THERE'S MORE!!!"

Starfire scrunched up her face and began to make little whiny noises. Instantly, three robot arms extended from the headboard: one holding a teddy bear, another holding a bottle of milk, while the last (fitted with a soft glove) began to pat her head soothingly.

"The T-Crib also comes with a baby-readiness system, able to take care of all our little tyke's needs…except changing, I'm still working on that…"

"Impressive," Robin admitted. "But…wouldn't it have been easier to just buy a crib?"

"Does a store-bought crib come with THIS?!" Cyborg demanded, pressing a button on his arm.

A panel in the headboard slid open, and a stuffed doll of Raven slid out. "Beware boogeyman and monsters under the bed," said a hidden speaker in a remarkable likeness of her voice, "for Raven protects this crib." The doll's eyes flashed bright red.

"…she's going to kill you," Robin commented.

"Ah, she'll never come anywhere near the T-Crib, anyway. How else is he gonna get to know her?"

"I guess you have a point. It's not like we could take him on a mission."

Cyborg's eyes gleamed. "Yeah…right…"

Robin looked worried. "Oh no. NO, Cyborg! He cannot go-"

"Not YET, anyway."

Robin sighed. "Me and my big mouth."

* * * * *

Much to Robin's regret, Cyborg lived up to his promise by the time the next crime was reported.

Beast Boy, still in gorilla form, now wore a reinforced harness that kept the baby attached snugly to his back.

"This is insane!" Robin insisted. "You can't take the baby into a fight! What if he got hurt?!"

"Well, we can't leave him here alone!" the gorilla snapped.

"Then why can't one of us just stay here with him?!"

Raven was actually even considering volunteering herself for the task, just to shut them up.

"All we know is that a disturbance was reported at the new construction site downtown. It might be something major, so everyone should go, just in case," Cyborg pointed out.

"Everyone BUT him!" Robin added firmly, pointing at the baby. "He can't even defend himself!"

"We will defend him!" Starfire replied confidently.

"And how are you going to stop the bad guy if you're too busy protecting the baby?" Robin demanded. "What if it's Plasmus? He'll split up and take us all on separately. He might even make one blob specifically to attack the baby!"

Starfire gasped at such a horrible image and covered the baby's ears. "Robin!!!"

"I'm sorry, Star, but I just don't want to see him get hurt."

Raven sighed. "I have an idea. Why don't all of you just stand around arguing while I actually do something useful, like stop a crime already in progress. I'll call if I need help." With that, she phased through the floor and vanished.

* * * * *

The construction site was dark, still, and full of places to hide. Never a good combination if you didn't know what you were up against. And since Raven's telepathy had picked up less than nothing, she was starting to think the criminal had already moved on. But even then, there should've been fading psychic imprints. Yet, she found nothing.

And that was when she realized it was a trap.

"I did not believe you would come alone," said a voice directly behind her. "But this will make things much easier. The business I have with you is far too personal to allow interference."

"You say that," Raven murmured slowly as she turned around, "like you know me." Her eyes widened, and she swallowed noisily.

"No, I do not, Raven," he confessed, his green eyes narrowing. "But I plan to change that right now." He took a step forward.

"Stay BACK!" she shouted, moving away from him.

He stopped. "I know my appearance must be alarming-"

"That is a HUGE understatement," she snapped angrily. "You show up here, looking like…HIM…and expect me to just listen to you?!"

"You better than anyone should know that we cannot chose our parents…particularly our father."

"What do you…oh no," Raven whispered. "Not again…"

He blinked, and this time she could make up the extra pair of eyes just above the expected ones. She had missed them at first, as they were shut tightly and seemed like little more than wrinkles on his forehead. His skin and hair were shockingly white, making him resemble a living skeleton. In fact, save for his size and color, he was an exact replica of her father.

"Obviously, you fared much better in the suppression of his taint," he commented softly. "I, on the other hand, have been clearly marked from birth with his accursed features. I will probably never find out what my true face would've been. But I did not come here to speak of that."

"You were the one in my room," Raven said accusingly.

He nodded. "Yes. I was looking for you. When I saw your mirror-glanced into your mind-I knew I had to meet you. I thought it amazing that so much of your mind is riddled with his influence, yet you yourself can suppress his bloodlust."

"I had help and years of practice." Raven continued to stare at him. "So what do you want?"

"To destroy Trigon's evil, so that no one else may suffer as we have. But I will need your help to do that."

"It's not that simple," she replied at once. "Even if you are stronger than me-which I doubt if you can't help looking like that-our combined power wouldn't be enough. Anyway, I don't trust you."

"Nor did I expect you to," he answered. "But there is one way to satisfy your curiosity and further my plans." With that, he suddenly backhanded her across the face, sending Raven sprawling in the dirt.

Raven had absolutely no warning of the hit, and there had been literally no time to dodge it. She tasted blood as she sat up, and was surprised when she found him waiting for her to rise. "What was that?!"

"You wish to know how strong I am. I wish the same of you. It is only natural that we fight, Seedling."

Her eyes narrowed. "Don't call me that. Ever."

"Deny it all you like. We share the same father, and that makes us kin. I suspect even our powers are similar enough to prove that."

Raven got up, pressing her hand to her throbbing cheek. "You're going to wish you hadn't done that."

"There are many things I regret in my life, Raven," he replied. "Striking you is not one of them."

"Not yet, it isn't," she whispered, raising her hands. A steel girder rose up behind her, cloaked in dark energy.

"If that is the extent of your telekinetic power, you will sorely regret agreeing to this challenge."

Raven was forced to agree as her hold over the girder suddenly vanished, and she was scrambling out of the way as it crashed down beside her. "How did he…?!"

"As you said, `I had help and years of practice,' Raven." He began to approach her. "Let us continue."

Raven quickly got to her feet. She instantly dismissed the idea of calling the Titans. Something told her this stranger wanted her all to himself. She wasn't even sure if he could cut off her telepathy, too. She would just have to fight him and find out what he was capable of.

After all, since he wanted her help, it wasn't like he would kill her. At least, that was what she hoped.

* * * * *

Starfire winced and continued to bounce the wailing baby in her lap. "I have never heard him cry so loudly or for so long!" she shouted to Robin.

As his ears were plugged, Robin didn't hear a word she said, but he was able to read her lips. "We've tried everything! What could he possibly want?!"

Beast Boy (who was becoming very familiar with his gorilla form) continued to make funny faces for the baby, but even that did no good. "I give up," he sighed. "If he doesn't want food, changing, or attention, what else is there?"

Cyborg looked thoughtful. "Raven hasn't checked in, and she's almost been gone an hour. Should we go see if she needs help?"

"Nah, she wanted to go solo. Interrupting would just get us yelled at."

Cyborg began to point out that if Raven was in a tough fight, there might not be time to call for help. Before he could, though, the baby's screams went up another notch and shorted out half his systems. "Look, I like the kid, but the Tower can't take much more of this. Either figure out what he wants or take him for a VERY long walk." He turned and limped off to his room.

"It is almost as if he is trying to tell us that something is wrong," Starfire murmured, stroking the baby's head gently, and not realizing how close to the truth she was.

* * * * *

Raven was not in the habit of getting hit in order to learn things about her opponents. However, that was exactly how she'd learned nearly everything she knew about the way her so-called brother fought.

First and foremost, he was very strong, but not superhumanly so. She imagined he could wrestle most of Beast Boy's forms to the ground, but might lose an arm-wrestling match to Cyborg. Which made him stronger than her.

He was also either very fast, or had mastered teleportation to the point that he just seemed to be anywhere instantly. Which made him faster than her.

He could definitely cancel out her telekinesis, but she wasn't really sure how he'd done it. Either his mental prowess exceeded her own, or he had some natural ability (most likely in his accursed blood) that protected him from her, as it would've with her father. Which technically made him more experienced than her.

Which all led up to Raven beginning to think that she was severely outclassed. But, as she had hoped, he didn't seem to be trying to kill her. At the same time, he was only pulling his punches so much. While Raven would walk away from this, she would remember (and regret) this fight the next morning, and perhaps several after that.

It almost seemed like he was showing off just for the sake of embarrassing her. But not once during their fight had he gloated or bragged. He appeared to be very serious about beating her to a pulp…which, in some odd way, she had to respect.

Then, without warning, he stopped.

"You are not fighting at your best, Raven. This is unacceptable."

"And what are you going to do about it?" she spat, getting unsteadily to her feet.

He sighed. "I suppose it is our being related that distracts you. Next time, I will have to approach you in a different form."

"Next time?!" she cried in dismay. "WHAT other form?!"

He shook his head. "We will meet again, after you have healed. I hope you are both mentally and emotionally prepared for that day, Raven." As if noticing her condition for the first time, he added, "Do you wish me to escort you home?"

She glared at him. "I'll manage…whatever your name is."

"I am known as Sylvan. Until next we meet, Seedling." He vanished before she could protest.

Raven sighed wearily. "Why can't I have one normal relative?!"

* * * * *

"At least he has quieted down a little," Starfire noted, trying to stay positive.

"Yeah," Beast Boy agreed after a moment, kissing the whimpering baby's head absently. "But I wish I knew what made him so fussy all night. If Raven were here, maybe she could read his mind."

Seconds later, Raven phased through the floor, covered in dirt and bruises.

"Raven! What happened?!" Starfire cried in alarm, rushing over to her friend.

"Ambush," Raven muttered. "I handled it."

"Are you okay?"

"Fine." She noticed the frown on the baby's face. "What's with him?"

"We were hoping you could tell us," Beast Boy replied, holding the baby out to her.

Upon seeing Raven, all traces of discomfort vanished, and the baby cooed and reached for her.

"I don't believe it!" Beast Boy whispered in shock.

Raven closed her eyes and carefully opened the baby's mind. As she'd suspected, his thoughts were those of an older child, and therefore made a lot more sense than they should've. When she found the reason for the baby's upset, she decided at once not to share it with the others.

"He's just cranky. See you in the morning."

"But, Raven…" Starfire began, watching as the baby continued to reach. "I think he wants to go to you."

Raven shot her a withering glance. "And?"

"Hey, he's been crying ALL night, and if you're the only one he wants, I think you need to open those arms, missy," Beast Boy commanded.

Glaring at him, Raven grudgingly held out her arms. "Fine, give him to me."

The baby smiled as he was passed to Raven, and immediately began to pat her cheeks gently with his chubby hands.

Raven frowned at him. "Why do you want me?"

As if answering, the baby replied, "Nana!"

"…what?"

"Nana!" the baby repeated happily.

"No. I am NOT your-"

"Even if you aren't, that's what he's going to call you," Beast Boy pointed out. "I think it's cute."

"Sure you would, Mama," Raven snapped.

"He only gives us names because he likes us," Starfire said. "Today he called Cyborg `Wobo' or something similar. I think we should call him Fuzzy!"

"I think I like Cyborg better," Beast Boy joked, but no one laughed.

Raven looked distinctly uncomfortable as Fuzzy closed his eyes and pressed his little face into the curve of her neck. "What is he doing?"

"Catching a nap on your neck. Probably not a good idea to wake him. He might still have a few good wails left in him."

"But…he can't! I need to shower and-"

"All he knows is that your neck is warm and soft. Until that changes, you're the designated pillow." Beast Boy yawned and walked off. "I'm going to bed. Wake me when he gets hungry."

"Starfire, can't you take him?" Raven pleaded.

"But he wanted you," Starfire insisted, looking somewhat jealous.

"But I don't want HIM…at least, not right now," she said quickly. "Anyway, he's asleep now, and I still need to shower…and meditate on some things."

Starfire finally relented and took the sleeping Fuzzy. "You can't keep hiding from him, Raven. He's becoming attached to you."

"The last thing I need right now is another attachment," Raven muttered as she drifted off to her room.

Starfire didn't hear her; she was staring at Fuzzy. "You were trying to warn us that Raven was in danger, weren't you?" she whispered. "Is that why you cried?"

Fuzzy burped in his sleep.

She smiled and kissed the top of his head. "Thank you for trying to keep her safe. She would do the same for you…I think."

* * * * *

Next Time: Raven reflects on her fight with Sylvan, and the Titans have to deal with Dr. Light-and Overload-at the same time.