Fan Fiction ❯ Will D. Beest ❯ Into the Storm ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: Still reeling from the sudden deletion of "The Anime World." I mean, it'd only been there, what, three years? … Anyway, it WAS in violation of several things, I guess. Only I'm pretty sure it wasn't at the time I uploaded it, so maybe they changed the rules since then. Anyhow, on with the story.

Chapter 9: Into The Storm

As the thunderstorm raged above them, Wildy pressed his face into Supergirl's neck and whimpered. She patted his furry head and murmured soothingly into his ear. "It's okay, little guy. This will all end as soon as Livewire's done."

"Is it wise to provide her with so much power?" Starfire asked as Merlin fluttered around her head. "The last time we battled foes who commanded thunder and lightning, they proved most difficult to defeat."

"To be honest, Livewire's no good to us unless she's charged. Which will make her a lot more obnoxious, but extremely useful, too. She's not just limited to tossing lightning around, she can literally become entirely electric. Assuming this Slade has any sort of computers, she could fry them in two seconds flat."

"Then you trust her with your life?"

Supergirl paused. "There's no question she's dangerous; she nearly killed Superman more than once. But I've been visiting her since she got put away, and I'd like to think that if she'd listen to anyone, it'd be me."

Starfire gave her a confused look. "I am not sure if that really answers my question."

"It doesn't," Supergirl clarified. "The moment she fries any one of us, feel free to say you told me so. All I can say is that I want to trust her, even if comes back to bite me in the butt."

"Careful what you wish for, Blondie," Livewire chuckled as she stepped into the room. "My ears were burning, and not just from all the power I took in."

"I take it you're done, Leslie?"

Livewire shook her head and chucked Supergirl gently under the chin. "Codenames when we're on the clock. Otherwise I won't feel like part of the team." She noticed the bundle of fur in Supergirl's arms. "What, they make shivering teddy bears now?"

"He does not like loud noises," Starfire explained, patting his head.

"He like light shows?" Livewire asked, forming an electric blue smiley face in mid-air.

Wildy raised his head a bit and cooed.

"Smart kid. I--HEY!" Livewire ducked as Merlin soared straight at her head.

"Sorry," Supergirl said, handing Wildy to Starfire and snatching her moth out of the air. "Like any moth, he really likes pretty lights."

"That a fact or a thinly veiled compliment, Blondie?"

Supergirl rolled her eyes. "Fact. He likes Starfire's eyes, he likes your skin. The whole world isn't drooling over you, believe it or not."

Livewire grinned. "I'm still a shock jock at heart. You get used to all the attention. So, who's this Slade I've heard absolutely nothing about?"

* * * * *

Robin was carefully checking his leg for a strained muscle when Slade appeared.

"Robin. I trust you behaved like a gentleman for Terra?"

"She's no lady," Robin replied firmly.

"I thought the pleasure of Blackfire's company might be a little...extreme for you, without your friends to assist you."

"Say what you want, Slade. There's no shame in being beaten by a girl that trained under you. Especially when she's got her own collection of bruises from the fight, too. Or did you happen to miss the black eye Terra was sporting?"

"I trust you won't be as rough with your next opponent. Welcome to the demise of the Teen Titans, Robin."

Robin's eyes narrowed as a green tiger appeared beside Slade, growling softy.

Slade chuckled. "Tell me, Robin. Who would you prefer to do battle with now? The lady, or the tiger?"

"As if I have a choice," Robin snapped, getting to his feet. "Terra's in no shape to fight, anyway. And whatever you've done to Beast Boy, I'll figure it out."

"But can you stop it while fighting for your life? I think not."

The tiger snarled and leapt at Robin, claws outstretched and fangs bared.

* * * * *

Supergirl had never been to a strategy meeting that was less informative. Raven and Starfire could only offer what they'd learned from their past encounters with Slade, the HIVE Academy, and Blackfire, but not what they all had in common (other than illegal activities and hating the Titans). Nor did they have any details about Blackfire's unknown partner.

"Okay, so we know next to nothing about why they're together and what they're up to. Do we at least have any ideas on how to find them?" Supergirl asked.

Starfire shook her head. "I am afraid that our friends' communicators have been deactivated."

"I haven't been able to sense them, either," Raven added. "Slade probably found a way to block telepathic probes."

"So what?" Livewire snapped. "Don't tell me you girls sprung me just to sit around in an ice cave and look pretty. You can't tell me that none of you has a little bag of tricks to reach into and pull out a miracle. Heck, that's the only reason I was doing time, anyway. You stinkin' goody two shoes never know when to quit."

There was silence for a moment, before a lone voice rang out.

"I might have an idea or two."

They all turned to stare at Jade, who was holding up a glowing green blowfish.

"You have GOT to be kidding me," Supergirl said at once.

Jade stuck her tongue out. "Well, while your super ears are still listening out for a cry for help, MY locator spell will be locking in on the missing Titans. That is, assuming someone has something that belongs to one of them."

"I don't suppose unwavering loyalty counts?" Starfire asked hopefully.

Jade shot her a surprisingly patient look. "Nice try."

"Well, there is one thing," Raven murmured, picking up Wildy.

Jade grinned. "Sweet!"

"This won't hurt him, will it?" Starfire asked with concern.

Jade shrugged. "Nope. As long as he doesn't eat the fish, anyway. Kinda been in the family for a while."

* * * * *

Terra glared at the wall st she carefully fingered her bruised cheek. "Stupid Robin," she muttered angrily.

"It's not his fault you suck at dodging," Blackfire pointed out. "You underestimated him because he doesn't have any powers. But you forget that since he doesn't, he relies on his own natural abilities, so he has to be that good."

"I didn't see you and your alien strength trading blows with him."

Blackfire smirked and patted Terra on the head. "Slade didn't tell me to. Besides, you're the one that's still in training. I don't need to fight him. You just better hope Joey leaves enough Boy Wonder for you to play with."

At that moment, the door slid open, and a green wolf slunk into the room, its mouth dripping with saliva and blood.

Terra started at once, but Blackfire barely batted an eye. "So how'd it go?" she asked.

The wolf dropped lifelessly to the ground, and a young boy appeared in front of it, drenched in sweat.

"I made him scream. But he wouldn't beg."

"Well, that's Robin for you. Can't expect to break him the first time around." Blackfire tousled his blond hair affectionately. "Good job, kiddo. Your father should be very proud."

"Thanks, Auntie Blackfire." Joey walked over and took Terra's hand. "I made him hurt for you, Terra."

Terra grunted; she'd gone back to glaring at the wall ever since Blackfire had mentioned Slade.

"Better leave her alone for now, kid," Blackfire advised, taking his other hand. "I think her pride's hurt worse than anything else. Give her some time to cool down."

Joey reluctantly released Terra's hand and allowed Blackfire to practically drag him out of the room.

Terra waited until she could no longer her their footsteps before turning around. She walked over to the wolf and gave it a good kick.

"Well, maybe I can't beat Robin," she said at last. "So I think I need a sturdy punching bag to unleash some of this aggression. Any volunteers?"

The wolf did not reply, so she picked it up by the neck and rapidly punched the muzzle until her fist came away wet.

"Oh, good. I was hoping you'd say yes." Terra grinned widely and drew back her fist once more.

* * * * *

"You've seen her work magic before?" Supergirl asked quietly.

Raven nodded as they watched Jade draw a chalk circle on the floor around Wildy. "In every sense of the word. Jade knows what she's doing." She frowned as Wildy started to venture outside of the circle. ~"Stay put."~

He froze and stared at her like a deer caught in headlights. After a second, he backed up and became interested in something between his toes.

Supergirl smirked. "I see you have him on a short leash."

"I figure someone has to, since everyone else just babies him. Yes, I know he IS a baby, but I was learning control when I was even younger. There's no reason he can't, especially if he's as smart as I think he is."

"Well, with all due respect, Raven, what are the chances he's demon spawn?"

"Considering the whole werewolf syndrome? Pretty good, I'd say. Even if he isn't, he has a wild side that needs restraint. He's killed before and he was duped into nearly killing me."

"That's funny," Supergirl remarked, giving her an odd look. "I don't see that when he looks at you, or when you look at him."

"No?" Raven asked.

"No. I see two creatures who have a lot in common and honestly care about each other. Of course, I'm no telepath."

Raven sighed. "What's your point?"

"Instead of snapping at him, maybe you should explain to him why he shouldn't do certain things. I mean, he's one of the few kids that would probably understand logic, right? I bet he'd listen to you."

"I hate when you make sense," Raven muttered. "But I'm doing this under protest."

Supergirl grinned. "Sure you are."

Raven walked over to Wildy (being careful not to disturb the circle) and knelt next to him. "Look, Wildy. See the nice lady in black with the chalk?"

Wildy glanced up from his toes. "Dwagon Wady," he said at once.

Raven frowned. "What? No. Auntie Jade."

"Dwagon Wady," Wildy insisted, giving her a confused look.

"Why do you keep-" Raven paused as Jade got her attention, then stuck out her tongue, resulting in a tiny but visible beam of fire shooting across the cavern and slamming into the wall.

"Dwagon Wady," Wildy pointed out, sounding amused.

"Dragon Lady," Raven agreed with a roll of her eyes. "Anyway, she's going to help us find our, um, family. So you have to stay put while she's working, okay?"

Wildy nodded and went back to picking at his toes.

Raven hesitantly reached out and rubbed his head. "I don't mean to snap at you so much. It's just..."

"Baby understand," he interrupted. "Nana keep Baby good. Baby be better. Pwomise."

"Oh. Thanks." Raven blinked a few times. "Good boy." She went over to Jade, who was grinning. "I thought you said you gave back all the talismans?"

"I did," Jade said, looking insulted. "But I never said anything about not borrowing a tiny bit of their power."

"So what else can you do?"

"I don't get sick and I can make dolls dance." At Raven's irritated look, she added defensively, "Hey, don't act like you've never done it."

"What are you, a patchwork of stolen powers?"

"Borrowed powers," Jade said firmly. "I have every intention of giving them all back."

"Really. When?"

"When I start eating mung bean sandwiches for enjoyment instead of my health, that's when. Now stand back so you don't get caught in my zashu."

"Need any help?"

"Nah. Just stand over there looking cute and broody like always."

"I am NOT cute, Jade, nor have I ever BEEN cute."

"You never could take a compliment," Jade sighed, shaking her head.

* * * * *

"Let's see some real fightin' now, you lot! I've seen more action in a Mother Goose rhyme!" Mad Mod shouted.

"Can't you turn him OFF?!" Jinx shouted as she tossed a hex bolt at Gizmo.

"Shove it, ya stinkin' crud sniffer!" Gizmo shot back, laughing as a barrage of missiles fired from his backpack.

Jinx cartwheeled out of the way, only to get run over by Mammoth, who then leaped into the air and slapped Gizmo to the floor hard.

Mad Mod nodded his approval. "That's more like it, my duckies. Keep it up!"

Jinx slowly and painfully picked herself up, eyes flaring violet as she watched Gizmo struggle to evade Mammoth's huge hands. "I. Have. HAD IT!!!"

Gizmo had just flown out of Mammoth's reach when a violet bolt struck his pack. He screamed in surprise as he dropped to the ground like a rock, only to be hit by another bolt that stunned him.

Mammoth whirled around, growling as he charged at her.

He hadn't gotten far when violet chains wrapped around his entire body and pulled so tight that he could barely breathe, much less move. It took a few seconds, but he finally fell, gasping for air.

"No more practice!" Jinx shouted, glaring up at what she knew was yet another hologram of Mad Mod. "That's all we've been doing for the last six hours!"

"Don't you throw a hissy fit with me, sprot! You lot are the ones who fouled up the warehouse job! Slade's mad enough as it is with your attitude getting in the way!"

"Yeah? Then why doesn't HE come down here and make me train?!" she yelled.

"Is that an invitation, my dear?" Slade asked as he stepped into the room.

Jinx glared at him. "You know it wasn't my fault the job went sour! I did everything I was supposed to!"

"True enough. But your team still failed to defeat the Titans."

"That's because Mad Mod made me and Gizmo stay behind while Mammoth took on the rest by himself! Of COURSE he failed! And there's no way you can blame us for HIS helmet not working!" she cried, pointing at Mad Mod.

"Are you implying that if I had left you in charge, the operation would've been a success?"

"I'm not implying it, I'm SAYING it!" Jinx shouted.

Slade didn't miss a beat as he said, "Very well. From now on, you're in charge of these three. Every failure and success will be in your name."

She blinked a few times, obviously not expecting that answer. "I am?"

"Be warned, the penalty for failure will be much more severe. Do we understand each other, my dear?"

"Um...yeah," Jinx said slowly.

"Hey!" Gizmo shouted angrily as he scrambled to his feet. "What about me?!"

Slade turned to look at him. "You will all follow any orders Jinx gives you. Should you fail to obey them, she will punish you as she sees fit."

Gizmo grumbled to himself as Slade left the room.

Sensing her teammate's (former teammate, now subordinate, actually) jealousy, Jinx flashed him a half smile. "Don't worry about it, Giz. Nothing's gonna change. This way, we'll get more respect from Slade."

The boy genius glared at her, not saying anything.

Jinx used her powers to break Mammoth's chains. She couldn't help smiling a bit when he came to and backed up a bit, staring at her warily. Still, he eventually accepted her offered hand as she pulled him up (more a gesture than anything else, considering their differences in weight).

"This is the big time, boys. Now, let's show Slade and the Titans that we mean business. But first things first." Her eyes flared violet, and the power-boosting collars around her and Mammoth's necks faded away.

"What'd you do that for?" Mammoth asked, scratching his neck.

"If we're going to make it, we're going to do it on our own."

"You didn't take his," Mammoth pointed out, nodding at Gizmo's collar.

Jinx shrugged, nudging Gizmo good-naturedly. "I figure it was nothing he couldn't have made in a few days, anyway. There'd be no point in taking it from him."

Gizmo was still angry, but he knew a compliment when he heard one. "So what now?"

"I always thought three was too small a number. Five would be better."

They started to leave when Mad Mod appeared in front of Jinx.

"Say, luv," he said, a little nervously. "You wouldn't be forgettin' about ol' Moddy, would you?"

"Of course not," Jinx said brightly. "You're fired."

* * * * *

"Hey, Livewire," Supergirl said quietly, pulling the former supervillain aside. "When you powered up, you sent the storm away afterwards, right?"

"Yeah, why?" Livewire asked.

"The computer's saying there's a big storm moving in. And it's a bit too much like one of yours to be a coincidence."

Livewire frowned. "You don't trust me?"

Supergirl shook her head. "It's not that. What I'm asking is, can you check it out? Make sure it's nothing we need to worry about? I mean, this project is already being held together by string and bubble gum as it is. We don't need an unscheduled storm messing things up."

"Can do, Blondie. But is there any reason why you're not letting anyone else in on this?"

"I don't want to distract them from Jade's little ceremony. Let's just say I'm giving you a chance to prove yourself."

* * * * *

Meanwhile, high above the glaciers not too far from the Fortress of Solitude, a lone, masked figure soared through the sky, leaving a trail of supercharged air in his wake. His eyes narrowed as they swept across the landscape, searching for anything out of the ordinary, anything that might indicate that a super-sized secret lay beneath it...

Next Time: Livewire meets her match, the HIVE trio holds a recruitment drive, and Slade's crew gets some unexpected visitors.

Various Notes:

Remember that it was an alternate version of Supergirl that brought Wildy to this world, which is why he finds comfort in any version of her.

Livewire, or Leslie Willis, used to be a shock jock, or a radio personality, if you prefer. She really HAS come close to doing Superman in, on her own and teaming up with Parasite (remember Rudy?).

Chi spells (the ones Jade knows, anyway) actually do usually require random objects, from various animals to things found around the house.

Being "good" (in Wildy's mind) is his current state, being "bad" is when he transforms (and does bad things like turn people into sidewalk stains).

The talismans Raven refers to were temporarily guarded by Jade's family, and each stone was marked with a symbol of the ancient Chinese Zodiac: dog, rabbit, rooster, horse, dragon, pig, sheep, rat, ox, and snake, to name some. Jade has borrowed powers from the following: horse - expels foreign presences from the body (or heals sickness), rat - gives motion to the motionless (which was used in the past to make dolls and statues come to life), and dragon - shoots destructive fire blasts.

Near as I can tell, mung beans are old people food (Jade's great? uncle ate them a lot).

"Zashu" is actually a spoken component of a chi spell (not necessarily a locater spell, but the only word I could even begin to guess at spelling…)

Raven being "Broody" is actually a pun, but I won't tell you why if you already know.

Gizmo actually is a technological genius, Mad Mod only specializes in illusions and hypnotism.

Reviews~!

TheDarkAzar

Could you put in Flame Bird? She is so cool...

Yeah I guessed about Jade. Jackie Chan is something I despise with a will but hey! At least is isn't something like South Park...I actually saw that...I was so freaked...

Nope. At the moment I have no idea who that is, but I guess I could look.

Well, now you've ruined my plan of having Cartman defeat Slade with an alien satellite-boosted fart.

TheDarkAzar

Sorry, I'd've reviewed sooner but for the cruel computer dictators...my parents...anyway, I have no idea which one it was all I know is that some people should be barred from this site...namely whoever wrote Robin, my Houkinin...I got out of that story faster than you could say "lemon". My god that author had a sick mind! I like this story...you got BB right on characterXD
-Yes, Slade is a sly one, isn't he?
Although it kinda scares me because I saw a Raven/Red X fic. Where in holy Azarath did THAT come from?

It's not such a stretch. They both dress in dark colors, both of them know Robin, all their names start with R… Who am I kidding, that's no reason! I dunno, maybe it was sheer boredom. But I could see Raven trying to unmask him…only to find Larry underneath. Ewww…