Fan Fiction ❯ Yumei, My Guardian Angel ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1 -

The sun. If there is one thing I've hated from the morning, it was the sun. I felt its rays wash over my face. Why had I left my curtains open again? I turned away from the window and shut my eyes even tighter. I didn't want to wake up. I didn't want to remember. Today was the day; the day my grandfather would leave for New York.

I heard a knock against my door and saw my grandfather come in. "Ryu, you need to wake up now," he said. "Today is the day I'm leaving."

"I know," I replied in a harsh tone, turning away to meet the sun's rays yet again. I could sense my grandfather's sorrow. I could tell that he didn't want to leave me; and I was only making things worse by making him feel even worse. "Is the person you hired a good person?" I tried to change the topic. I didn't want him to feel regret. I knew he had to go. I just didn't want to be left alone, but my grandfather could only afford one ticket to New York.

"He's a young man; about seventeen years old, I suppose," he replied. "He was the only person who was eager enough to accept my offer."

"You didn't answer my question," I replied harshly again.

"I suppose," he replied. I heard him leave and I got out of bed as soon as my door was closed. I looked out my window. It was beginning to get cold. I closed the curtains and began to dress in a red T-shirt with long white sleeves and blue jeans. I put on some socks but I didn't put on any shoes. I left my dark brown hair unbrushed. I preferred it that way. I heard my grandfather call from downstairs, "He'll be coming in shortly," and he left. Those were the last words I heard my grandfather say.

I sighed and went downstairs, heading for the kitchen. I opened up the refrigerator and pulled out a milk carton. I drank the milk from the carton and looked outside from a window. Grandpa had already left. A wave of sorrow and loneliness engulfed me. I didn't know how I was supposed to survive without my grandfather anywhere. I hated the thought of being home alone.

I was lying on the couch watching some television show about some celebrity who just broke up with her boyfriend. I rolled my eyes, wondering why people worried more about some celebrity's life than worrying about their own lives. It was at that same moment when someone knocked on the door. I stood in front of the door, hesitating to open it. I was afraid of meeting my new sitter. But I opened it anyway. The tan face of a young man, whose well-groomed black hair played in the wind and whose deep green eyes met mine, appeared in front of me. He wore a black school uniform with matching black shoes and was smiling down at me, making me feel even more insecure; why was this stranger already smiling at me?

Strangely enough, he was holding on to a heavy brown paper bag. "Hi," he said, his voice sounding so carefree. "May I step in?"

I nodded, letting him step in as I closed the door after him. He immediately placed the brown paper bag on the kitchen counter. "I already went grocery shopping since Mr. Itsuki said there was hardly any food left in your kitchen," he said, pulling out some vegetables, a peanut butter jar, chips, and some other things out of the bag.

I quietly stepped up to him, both of my hands fiddling with each other. "I'm…I'm…Itsuki Ryu," I stammered. "Thank you…for taking the job; you know, to take care of me…?" It was strange talking to a person whom you have never met before, but was going to stay with for two months.

"No need to thank me," the boy said, throwing away the now empty paper bag. "I'm Hiro Yumei," he said. He held his hand out and I took it. As I shook his hand, I realized how warm it was. For someone who had been outside where it was cold, I was surprised to feel how warm his hands were. "Well? Do you want to tell me where everything is? I still need to make lunch, anyway."

I turned away and left the kitchen; I could feel his puzzled eyes staring at the back of my head. "It's way too early for lunch," I said as I took a seat on the couch again; the television was still on, featuring a martial arts match now. "Besides, I can make my own lunch."

I felt bitter. And I knew I was beginning to give him a hard time. And the truth was, I enjoyed it. If grandpa didn't find him for hire, or anyone else in the matter, then he wouldn't have left because he wouldn't want to leave me alone without someone to watch for me. And I guess I hated this "Yumei" already for taking grandpa's job.

"Okay, if you say so," he said. "I'm going out to get some things for my mom, alright?" And I heard him leave.

He didn't seem to mind my attitude at all. That only made me even angrier and I slumped down on the couch and crossed my arms. My eyes turned to the television once more. I imagined I was the winning martial artist, beating the crap out of this Yumei.