Fan Fiction ❯ Zengat ❯ The Destruction of Zengat ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Scene 1

Sky was bored. He was daydreaming in the middle of the inter-guild relationships class. Today's topic would have been interesting if he did not know it. Sky did and he was annoyed. "Why waste time?" - he thought. His friend Cloud seems to have been having similar problem. His frozen face suggested that no one was home. To the outside observer it would have looked that Cloud concentrates deeply on the intricacies of the guild politics. After spending nearly all of the past fiftheen years locked together in a consort school Sky could tell the difference. Gentle mind probing proved him correct. Cloud was having an animated mind-conversation with his cohort currently stationed in a military base just a few space jumps away. Rather naughty visions flashed in front of Sky's eyes and he quietly withdrew. After all, mind probing was prohibited in school. Cloud and Orange were his closest friends and the mind link developed between them allowed for such probing to pass unobserved, but being found could have unpleasant consequences. Sky did not want to know how unpleasant these consequences could be. They preferred to keep their abilities hidden. " … and that is why Navigators' guild is traditionally opposed to the marriage unions with …" voice drifted in air before being tuned off again.

Orange felt cool breeze of mind connection. He softly pushed it away. He did not want to offend Sky by refusing to talk, but he also was listening to the lecture. He found complicated relationships between guilds fascinating. Orange could feel the boredom mixed with annoyance radiating from Sky who was fast losing patience to hide it. Cloud was clearly having a good time as the drop of his body temperature suggested he was having an interstellar mind link or doing some massive calculation of planetary importance. Orange was betting on a former.

Millenia of genetic manipulation have ingrained massive amount of information in their genome. This embedded memories have began to resurface from the age of five. By the age of 16 most consorts would have a complete knowledge base of arts and science. These knowledge magnified by unraveled analytical abilities allowed consorts to rule the Choaar space for thousands of years. Orange was 16, but his memories were still patchy. Guild matrimonial rules were one of the things he did not remember. Being designed as a political consort, he understood importance of these issues, so he concentrated on the lecture. Sky was left to his brood alone.

Scene 2

Thousands of years before three consorts were wading through the murky waters of guilds' customs, the Choaar race was at the end of a war. To be correct, it was not one race but few races fighting for survival. Only external invasion made them to seek a union with one another from which the Choaar race was born. The races morphed into guilds that became the cornerstones of the intricate system of mutual coexistence. Among the multitude of guilds the Degtiar, the guild of consorts, were the smallest but the most powerful guild.

At the end of that ancient War of Foundation that sealed the fate of their civilization, the Crissar race was dying. They genetic mutation resulted in near absence of females. The Illaar race was famous for its genetic compatibility. But they were physically weak and required significant support and protection. The arrangement was simple and logical: to team up in conflict and in peace - to team up in genetics. The Crissar became cohorts of the Illaar. From their marriage unions the Crissar children were born. Every new Illaar consort was traditionally designed to be genetically compatible to the specific cohort. Both races have speared throughout the galaxy creating various branches of their races. By the time Sky was born, the unity of the Illaar and the Crissar races was nothing more than ancient history. The Degtiar constellation was the strongest of the Illaar branches currently ruling eight of the main centers of the Choaar civilization.

Another important development that occurred over the centuries of genetic manipulation was gender change. The main thing separating the Degtiar from the other constellations became the gender of their consorts. Most of them were male, at least most of the time. Once in twenty years the concentration of hormones would trigger the transformation of their bodies allowing them to carry a child. This mechanism proved to be extremely useful in controlling the population level among the cohorts. But the design of individual consorts was becoming more and more expensive and time-consuming affair. The consorts were precious, and therefore heavily guarded, commodity. Their education was traditionally given to the religious order, the Sect, but every year all consorts were taken back to their respective planets so they can spend time with their cohorts.

Scene 3

The "Zengat" space carrier was slowly moving in the neutral space towards Esthar. Cloud felt a light tapping in his mind. He broke away the connection saving the to-ra game he was playing with his cohort to be finished later. Orange saw Cloud's face losing its frozen expression and relaxed. The lecture was almost over. Checking the schedule confirmed that they will be fed and escorted to the specialty classes. To reduce the amount genetically programmed knowledge consorts were classified into science, arts, military and politics. His designation was politics. He would be going for another negotiations practice, while Sky would be doing genetic experiments. "I hope he will not try to change his hair color again. Purple really was not his style. Blond curls are so much nicer" - mused Orange playing with his own curl. "Orion, stop playing with your hair and pay attention" - brought him back to the reality. The black-robed figure of the teacher loomed over. "How can you not understand the importance of guild relationships for the political development of our civilization? You will be ruling the Gorzoi planet one day. As a future ruler …". In the back of his mind Orange felt Sky and Cloud snickering. Being the only person in the group who actually listen the whole lecture and being told off for not paying attention was upsetting.

Finally the lecture was over and the younger priestess came to escort them to dinner. "Oh, come on. You just weren't lucky. Don't let it put you down" - Cloud and Sky flung him from both sides. "We know you were listening. Few more years and you will be ruling the Gorzoi and you can punish everyone who was ever mean to you" - Cloud's face was dead serious but Orange could feel him laughing inside. "Can you imagine the outcry in the among the guilds if I do something like that?" "That's when you can prove that you have listen the lecture - you should be able to negotiate with each of the guilds". "Or you can just have all your enemies killed and you will have nothing to negotiate about". Hearing that Orange tried to look into Sky's mind to make sure that he was joking as the explosion rocked the ship.

For millennia the consort carriers were considered sacred. They were used to cruising though the space unguarded not fearing any attack. Now "Zengat" was paying the price. "The ship is under attack. Everyone immediately proceed to the safety boats" - heard Sky as he kept dragging Orange and Cloud behind. "We have been attacked. The force field will fall in 3 minutes. Everyone who can - gate!" - voice of Riannah Riadh carried through their minds - "Take younger consorts with you if you can. Leave now."

"Orange - you pick kids from the Red Chamber. Cloud - from the Blue. Move." - Sky sprinted down the passage, sirens screaming in his ears. Next explosion had obviously hit the energy cells as the lights went down. Another turn and he jumped into the room with group of one-year old consorts huddled in the corner. Some of them were already missing. Sky could only hope that whoever picked them up did reach the safety. He hugged as many children as he could, locked on the only person of whose location he was certain about and opened the gate.

The next moment he tumbled on top of his sleeping cohort. Pushing the kids into arms of disoriented Zed, Sky gated back to "Zengat". The ship had obviously moved during those few seconds. He was lucky not to gate himself into the wall or open space, but he missed the Green Chamber. "Everyone gate the hell out of here. NOW." - Ruannah's voice was now screaming frantically in his head - "We can't hold this ship for more than a minute". 'The adult consorts accompanying us …' - Sky froze in sudden realization - 'They are not planning to leave. They are holding the ship together so we can leave.' He nearly flew now towards the commanding area. Riannah was his mentor, teacher, and friend. He was the closest person to a mother Sky knew. "If anyone is in the Purple sector, please help the kids in the Chamber 10" - Riannah's voice felt drained - "30 seconds". Sky's eyes fell on the purple stripe near the bottom of the wall. He was used to trust and listen to Riannah. And now with subconsciousness guiding him, Sky moved towards 10th Purple Chamber. He did not bother holding the kids. His energy field engulfed all of them. The crumbling purple wall was the last thing Sky saw as the gate opened.

Scene 4

Sky opened his eyes. The familiar soft glowing of the sealing somehow did not feel right. Sky raised himself on the elbows, his long golden curls spilling around. Sleeping Zed was sliding down off the edge of the small sofa. His heavy two and a half meter tall body could not possibly fit on a sofa designed for meter eighty short consorts. Zed kept his upper arms under his head while folding the lower set below his chest. 'Why isn't he in bed with me?' - mused Sky. 'If I were punished he would not be in the same room. I don't recall doing anything worth being punished for.'

Soft "Zed?" from the direction of the pillow jolted Zed back to reality. "Starlight? Are you ok? How do you feel?" "I am fine. Why wouldn't I be?" "You've been sleeping for 4 days". Taking in Zed's worn-out expression, his rumpled clothes, his short blond hair sticking in all directions Sky felt that something must have happened, something important, than reality came crushing down. The memories resurfaced with all gory details: Riannah's mental cry to gate and crumbling walls.

"How many kids survived?" "About one-third are accounted for. About thirty is missing." "How could they be missing? You should be able to trace them via the bond with their cohorts". "They don't have cohorts. We know they gated from the cruiser, we don't know where they gated to". "Orange is in a coma. He locked on you when he gated, so he ended up here. His cohort is dead. That military base was attacked at the same time as the consort carrier." "Cloud?" "He is here. Woke up few hours ago. He was still crying when I left". "Who attached us?" "We don't know". 'What does the Council says?" "We elected not to attempt contact so not to alert our enemies of our location." "We have to contact the Council. Now. Please, ask Cloud's cohort to bring him here. I need help".

Few minutes later Roan carefully settled white-haired consort on the edge of the bed. Hugging Cloud tightly Sky fought back his own tears "We have to contact Esthar."

Scene 5

Purple sunset covered round rooftops of the royal palace of Esthar. Its hot red giant sun was pushed off the sky by its colder blue sibling. Two suns of Esthar kept their billion-year-old ritual of trying to catch one another. Perfectly balanced in their common orbit their movement provided an underpinning for old religion and for the interstellar gate. The permanent space gate technology remained a jealously guarded secret at the heart of Degtiar power.

"No one would dare to attack a consort carrier" - Viru Esthar was pacing the chamber.

"Denial is not going to help. You knew the Kvaar are considering the war against us." 'It was your responsibility to protect our children' - hang in the air unsaid, but Viru could feel this thought running through the minds of the Esthar Council.

"Do we know who survived? Their locations?"

"Reports are still coming in, but it looks like we lost about two-thirds of our genetic fund" - Riadh-born Irah closed still puffy from crying eyes. His only son was on that ship spending the allocated time with his 3-year-old consort. Neither was known to survive.

"You are our leader. We accepted your appointment. Stop blaming yourself and start doing something. We are trying to restore communications with our bases. We all need few hours of sleep before we can act".

Scene 6

Back to his sleeping chamber Viru stopped in front of the glass wall overlooking the capitol and pressed his forehead to the cool surface. He was a political consort, designed to lead, and trained for centuries to rule the people of Esthar. His mammoth knowledge base had only one flaw - it was designed for peace. Viru hasn't slept since the news of the destruction of Zengat came in trying to fish some piece of useful knowledge from his genetic memory. It had never failed him before. There was always some scrape of experience implanted there by the prior generations. The method of relying on ancient knowledge has finally betrayed him, and it could not have happened at the worse time. Trying to plait his long blond, typical for all Esthar-designed consorts, curls with shaking hands Viru clearly saw that the only way out is to make a decision. To make a choice not backed by any experience written in his genes. He could see numerous scenarios of events playing in his mind. In every one of them people were dying. Viru abandoned his unfinished braid. The blond mass fell heavily on his shoulders. He did not know what to do, and he was scared.

Two sets of arms encircled him. There was no need to open the eyes to know who it was. The heat of cohort's body felt comforting reminding of happiness and safety of the world that would be ruined if he does not act. "Your lack of self-assurance is very damaging. You have to project the belief. You have to show people that they have a leader who will get them through the time of trouble. Wallowing in self-pity is dangerous." - no matter how much love was being projected into his mind - the truth hurt.

Walking back to the Council chamber, Viru kept hearing over and over again "the leader should know what to do". Taking his seat on a small round ottoman he looked over the Common Council of Esthar. Every single Esthar consort currently present on the planet was here. Using the privilege of the Leader of the Council Viru slowly scanned their thoughts. He rarely used this particular right. In a civilization where most of the people were telepaths, reading other people's minds without their permission was an offence. But he needed a clue, some idea what to do next.

Brightness of one mind startled him forcing to widen the eyes. The decision crystallized. It was obvious and painfully logical. Viru finished reading thoughts of the present consorts, his own mind made up.

"Consorts. We are at war. We still don't know how many consorts we lost with the destruction of Zengat. We also lost contact with all Degtiar civilizations in the direction of D'Maar including our protectorate of Gorzoi. I am declaring the state of emergency. As the Leader of Council I take all the power and responsibility for the Esthar." As he felt a tremor or concern and disagreement flowing through the room, Viru raised hand and continued. "I know my strengths and weaknesses. I can't lead us into the war. However, I've always been good at picking the right person for a job. I am stepping aside in favor of Ray Esthar." Looking straight at startled Ray, Viru projected all his belief and support and assurance at his choice. "You all know I have no idea what to do next. I tried to make a decision. I feel that I can't make a choice and take a responsibility for my actions. The only person whom I can entrust future of our civilization is you. Ray, I believe in you. Do you accept?"

With satisfaction Viru marked that few moments was enough for the color to return to Ray's face. He no longer looked shocked or uncertain.

"I accept pending the agreement of the Council" - Ray did not need the agreement of the Council. Being given the Leadership under the state of emergency, he could rule until the end of Viru's term of office. Of twenty-five years of his term, Viru still had 3 years left. But Ray wanted to know who would unconditionally support him, as going to war without unconditional support of key people would be dangerous. He was not sure whether he has a choice of not going to war. After reading all reports, he was almost certain that he had no choice.

"He is underage! How he can lead our people when he is so young?" - one of the few female consorts, Marilla, was shaking with anger. - "The army will not listen to him. If you are incapable of making a decision, let one of the older consorts to over."

"You mean, let you to take over, Marilla? And what would you do? Do you think army would listen to you?" - Jinnah was looking sadly at the old woman.

"I would not need the army. I would negotiate!"

"Marilla, millennia of our breeding work have been destroyed. Most of our military bases in near in neutral zone were attacked. As one of the commanding officers of our military forces, I can assure that we need to counterattack as soon as possible. I believe Ray has good ideas on how to lead our civilization. I declare my agreement with his appointment."

After that declaration, it took only a few minutes for the majority of council to accent their agreement.

"What are we going to do, your highness?" - mocking voice of Marilla stopped Ray's mental contemplations.

"We are going to fight"

Scene 7

Contacting Esthar did not prove to be easy. Even joined mind power of Sky and Cloud was not sufficient to cut through the distance.

"Orange, wake up. We need you." - Sky sat on the edge of the bed seeking for any signs of life in the mind of snow pale consort. The bright orange hair only accentuated the paleness of the face. Orange's actual name was Orion, but because of his hair color everyone called him Orange. Among Degtiar the orange hair immediately indicated the Gorzoy heritage. Only that constellation adopted orange color to differentiate its consorts. Orange was still alive. Sky could feel his mind stirring. He also could guess the reason why his friend was unconscious. The death of a cohort was always damaging. The bond joining a couple often became so strong that death of one of them could result in a death of the other. The bond uniting Orange with his cohort was not particularly strong. It was not a birth bonding. Orange's cohort was also quite old nearly reaching the maximum allowed age difference. Nevertheless, they did share a bond, and its breaking left an open wound in young consort's psyche.

Sky placed his hand on the pale forehead reaching within. He immediately felt himself surrounded by the torrents of the broken thoughts, strings of information overlapping with other people emotions drawn by the telepathy. The found the center of the torrent and pulled the mind together into the brightness shined in his eyes. "Sky?" - he looked directly into the pools of green. In those seconds that felt like ages to Sky Orange awoke and was now gazing at him and around the room.

"How do you feel?"

"If I haven't died till now, I'll live" - the voice was deep and seemed older. It suddenly stabbed through Sky how much older Orange looked, as if he aged centuries in the past few days.

"I know you are not in your best form, but I really need you help. We haven't been able to contact Esthar."

Soon after they were sitting in a makeshift casting room concentrating on flows of space energy. Few minutes later Sky felt a familiar tingle, "Jinnah?" - "Sky? Child?" - Jinnah's surprise, relief and happiness mixed with sorrow and busy determination flew through the young consorts. "Where are you?" "We are at Zed's base with 17 other consorts. Zengat is destroyed". "We know child. Stay where you are. Don't attempt to travel now. We are planning to fight back" - the information flew through the space. Sky severed the connection as soon as information exchange was completed.

"Viru has passed torch to Ray. They will fight back."

Zed's face was set and cold - "And so will we".

To be continued …

7