Fan Fiction ❯ Zengat ❯ Emotions Born in War ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 2

Scene 1

The next year passed as a blur of fights. Located in the middle of a huge asteroid field Zed's military base became a center of guerilla warfare from where small single-pilot ships launched their relentless attacks on the enemy. The Kvaar military tried to, figuratively, smoke Zed's pilots from the asteroid's protection to no avail. Commanders of the base have kept the training of their pilots to the best standard. After all, those who could not fly well did not survive among asteroids for long. The Kvaar called them The Shadows of Death for a reason. Zed did not take hostages; he had enough telepaths to get all the information he needed from the distance. Orange, Sky and Cloud were good pilots, but that was not their specialty. They were coordinators controlling and coordinating scores of pilots during the battle. They also were strategists devising attacks and protecting the base from being discovered. Being preoccupied with the realities of war few noticed the changes happening among the consorts. They were becoming adults.

Scene 2.

Looking on the fires of the sunset playing on the somber edged face of a young consort, Jinnah felt a sense of déjà vu. The whole scene was just too reminiscent of the faithful council where Ray got unexpectedly promoted to lead the Council. Today most of the Degtiar Councils were represented trying to decide the future of the Choaar race.

"Very few have realized that we actually owe the Kvaar" - Ray's smile was as cold as the shine of his pale blue eyes. "Over the millennia we tried to adjust our genome to include new features and to strengthen already existing once. Traditionally consorts were supposed to reach full realization of their potential by the age of twenty-five. The attack forced very young consorts to gate thus forcing them to activate their potential much earlier than we would have allowed under normal circumstances."

He did not need to see faces of the council to fell the comprehension dawning on them. Though many had known that for a few months now. Nevertheless, he continued, "Only the strongest survived. The attack on Zengat weeded out all weak". He felt the stab of pain from few members of the Council and relented, "Many of those who died, were not weaker than survivors; they were simply not lucky. But you have to agree that the survivors as a group are much stronger than the group that left the school a year ago. They represent what we aimed to achieve in no earlier than in another thousand years".

The Council sat subdued. "We can't allow this information to become a public knowledge" -the voice of logic represented by the Riadh-born head of Escobar council pierced the silence. Dinah continued with quiet determination "If it would become known to the Sect they try to strengthen control over us. We can't afford it right now." Glancing at Jinnah, he paused "You are somewhat wrong about strongest surviving. Riadh consorts were not weak, but most of them hesitated to make a decision. Almost all consorts of the Esthar triangle have survived, as well as almost all Lavine. The era of Riadh and Morray consorts ruling over the Degtiar is over. There are hardly any of them among survived kids".

"Regardless of the planetary affiliation of the kids, their teleportation abilities are superior. Orange or Sky or many others can gate from the neutral zone to here without any problem. Their telepathy is unprecedented as well as many other of their abilities." - Listening to Dinah Ray sat on the edge of the window tapping on the transparent plastic with his long dark blue nail. He unconsciously released the claw when he heard the voice of Marilla. The animosity between them has intensified during the past year and was getting difficult to conceal. As female Marilla was not a telepath, and for once Ray was glad she was not. Still she was a pretty strong empath and would pick up on his feelings. "And they don't hesitate to use their power. Don't forget to add - all who survived are cold and ruthless killers. Just listen what names Kvaar gave them - The Shadow of Death, the Blood Claws, The Deadly Ghosts. Your favorite kids, Sky and company, destroyed one of the breeding planets of the Kvaar."

"It was self-defense!" - Ray jumped from the window stalking towards the table - "The Kvaar attacked us. They started this war. They destroyed the consort carrier even though they new it is against all space rules. They destroyed the Gorzoy planet." - he stopped and took a deep breath trying to calm down. He felt like breaking something or worse , like hitting very specific someone on the head. He did not think it would fly very well with the Council.

Jinnah interfered to save the situation - "We see the situation deteriorating. We need to prevent further deterioration of control over younger consorts. We also do understand the need to prevent the spread of information." He glanced at Ray's face. Ray was back to his usual cool self, dark blue claws withdrawn to be hardly visible playing with the long brown curl. Insuring that the head of the Council has regained the control Jinnah allowed him to continue. "The Kvaar are in even worse shape than we are. They never expected the war to last for so long. They thought we would negotiate right away. Their parliament has let it be privately known that they would like a peaceful solution."

"Let me see, 'we will not negotiate' - you said that a year ago" -Marilla's voice was dripping with sarcasm. "The situation has changed" -Ray did not have to be a genius to predict that reaction. He was ready "If we had negotiated than we would have lost a great deal of territorial control. Now we can restore the pre-war status quo." Ray slowly lowered his lithe body in the chair and stretched cracking the joints of his six long fingers; claws released again. "Plus, it does not mean that we are going to forget and forgive. The revenche is a dish best served cold." Ray's smile sent chills through Marilla's mind. She did not like bloodshed, fighting, and she absolutely hated this 'child' being right.

Scene 3

"Prepare for attack" - the siren went on sending pilots running for the hangar. Sky gave Zed a quick kiss before jumping off his lap. At the entrance into the coordination room he bumped into skidding Cloud while Orange has materialized directly into his chair. In a few seconds they felt the room sealing. Their chairs floated assuming symmetrical positions. Sky let him mind wonder outside the coordination room's bubble. Pilot's minds appeared as dots of concentration among the orphan mind waves swimming in the ocean of space. He linked with Cloud and Orange boosting their energy. Together they carefully plotted the course towards the edge of the asteroid field. Hiding behind flying boulders ensuring the surprise of the attack.

The scouters reported the transporter convoy delivering provisions to the Kvaar base. The base itself was too far for pilots to attack, but regular destruction of provision supplies left the base starving. Orange found the mental signatures of the convoy pilots and locked on them. Sky and Cloud divided the Zed's pilots into groups monitoring their coordinates so they would remain invisible to the enemy pilots from behind the asteroids. One short strike and the convoy would be destroyed.

Orange felt rising of fear. Being locked on the pilots of the transporters, he became sensitive to their emotions. It was their fear. Those pilots were terrified. No ship has passed near the field in the past few months. They were sent to this icy graveyard to die. They were thinking of their families, about starving comrades on the base, and about death lurking in the dark. Their thoughts flew through the mind of young consort leaving the imprints, feeding his feelings of loneliness and depression.

Sky sensed the dark cloud dissenting on the mind of his friend. Trying to pull Orange back into the light he lost the mental balance and instead of waiting for a best moment he threw his own pilots into attack. He could hear Cloud swearing, could sense loosing control of his pilots, Cloud trying to control the whole battle. It took Sky only a few seconds to regain control, but those few seconds was enough for two of his ships turning into miniature pieces of debris wildly spinning in different directions.

Few minutes later the attack was over; space thick with wreckage of the transporter convoy. Sky left Cloud and Orange to lead their friends back to base as he untangled himself from the spider web of mind links. It was unfair of him to leave two other controllers to pick up the mess, but he could not handle it at the moment. Two people died and it was his fault. He lay in a floating chair staring at the surrounding sphere. The room would not unseal till all three consorts are aware and in control of their bodies.

The buzz of unsealing brought Sky back to reality. "It is not your fault. We are all tired and depressed enough" - turning towards Cloud, Sky realized that white-hard consort was talking to both him and Orange. Red-haired consort stalked out of the room not listening. Sky sank back into his chair blocking out all thoughts, emotions and feeling. Soon Zed entered the chamber and carried him away.

Scene 4

"The kids can't take it any more. They are worn out. Did you talk to the Council on Esthar?" - Zoar Riadh asked as soon as Zed entered the room. He was standing in front of the monitors at the central command his four hands flying over the panels.

Zed stopped beside him, "We don't have direct communication with the Council. The message we got from the military command suggests that the negotiations would start soon."

"How soon?"

"They haven't specified."

"Since Ray Esthar took over the command of the main fleet, they have been pushing the enemy out very fast. Most of the Kvaar bases inside our space have been destroyed."

"So are most of our bases"

"We have been concentrating on the protecting the breeding centers and capitol planets."

"It is impossible to defend in space. We have to counter-attack".

"Zoar, we don't have enough forces. Gorzoy is destroyed. Escobar is seriously damaged. We still don't know what is happening in D'Maar."

Zoar turned to face Zed "Then, I hope the consorts will find a solution and soon. I miss my consort."

Zed's face had softened "As far as we know Riadh was not attacked."

"Their supply lines are cut. Riadh only had six cycles of food supply. Unless, Kiry came up with something, they should be starving for a few cycles now." - his voice was cold and punctual as if he was reading the military brief. It did not betray any emotions. Nevertheless, Zed's mind could feel Zoar's mind cracking. Zed did the only thing he could think of at the moment - he hugged the other cohort trying to implant some of the assurance and strength in his mind. The assurance he did not feel himself.

Scene 5

Another twist and Orange fell on the floor. He's been trying to sleep but the details of the last battle kept playing in his mind. He got up and headed for the kitchen block. He could distinctly remember someone thinking about cream cakes. Vision of a white and fluffy pastry that he accidentally picked up from someone's mind felt comforting. Without turning the lights he crawled around the table. A moment later he was sitting on the floor covered in cream.

"What are YOU doing here?" - equally covered in cream Sky asked with the tone of righteous indignation.

"And you just wanted to check on cakes well-being?" - Orange felt adrenaline pumping. He licked the cream off his hand. "Man, it's good".

His enjoyment was interrupted by Cloud's hashed voice - "Look what you've done! Did you really have to know down the table?"

"Hey, its not my fault. He sneaked up on me". - Both covered in cream consorts pointed at each other and laughed. Sky lifted one of the cakes with thoughtful expression - "Ori, don't you think it is unfair that someone, and let's not point at that person, does not share our attire?"

"Do you mean, why that someone does not share these lovely white outfits we wear?" - without waiting when Cloud runs for safety, Orange picked up a cake a send it flying towards his friend. The white cream splashed all over Cloud's chest splattering white drops all over the wall. Failing to escape the first cake Cloud dove under the table missing the second cake.

Sky threw his cake only a second behind Orange, but it just had to be in that precise moment the door opened and the cake soared straight into the face of his cohort. Carefully removing cream from his eyes, Zed surveyed three wide-eyed consorts. "Well, at least we can be certain he can calculate the trajectory of a missile" - Zoar's chuckled from behind. On hearing his voice all three consorts scrambled to cover their faces. While the appropriate dress code was generally relaxed within the base, the rule that mandated consorts to cover the lower part of a face was maintained.

"I'll go take a shower and we will clean up before everyone wakes up for breakfast" - Cloud nearly run through the second door throwing the glance at his friends that promised a very painful death if they would leave him alone in cleaning the mess.

Zed's was still standing near the door looking at cream covered Sky. He felt like he has never seen his consort before. 'My god, he has grown so much. I was so busy with the war that I did not realize. When did that happen? He is breathtaking'. Mistaking huge man's stare for sign of anger Sky scrambled on his fit. "I am sorry for all this mess. We will clean up right away. I am sorry." He started moving towards the door but got quickly caught by the strong arm. "Don't worry about it. I'll send robots to clean the place. Let get you cleaned. I'll help". Sky felt the wave of strange and unfamiliar emotion wash over Zed. It felt pleasant, but he could not pinpoint why. Zed gathered Sky into strong arms smearing the cream all over both of them.

Scene 6

Unlike Sky, Orange did recognize Zed's emotion. 'Zed's finally remembered that Sky is already 18 and they actually are allowed to have sex.' - he thought sitting alone in a pool of melting cream. The bubble of happiness created by the cake fight has disappeared and depression returned with vengeance. 'Nobody loves me' - feeling of loneliness washed over Orange as he picked himself off the floor. Tears clouded his eyes as he slipped on piece of pastry sliding out of the kitchen floor into the corridor.

"Do you need any help?" - he was lifted to his feet. Orange totally forgot to cover his face as the scarf slid. "My profound apologies, consort" - a man in a pilot suit averted his eyes giving him time to replace the scarf. - " I should not have touched you".

Genetically ingrained alertness has returned - "You have nothing to apologize for. I needed help. I am sorry I put you in a situation that forced you to violate the rules." - the system of rules always made him feel more in charge and that feeling was helping now. "Thank you again" - he curtly turned towards his room. As soon as Orange turned around the corner, he felt his assurance and resolve evaporate. Tears were back and he run. Unfortunately, his depression-clouded mind did not pick up the awe and admiration in the eyes of the pilot.

To be continued …

6