Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Knights of the Realms ❯ Ch 10 - Inquisition Symphony ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

KNIGHTS OF THE REALMS
 
 
Inquisition Symphony
 
 
 
 
Yokk tu Malektu be-enck do-tu.”
 
The imp Malektu writhed on the floor in the center of the protective circle. The words of the exaction spell filled him with pain beyond comprehension.
 
“Speak, imp. Tell me which demon sent you to invade my home.”
 
Malektu's eyes were filled with hate. “I tell you nothing, priest of Deneir!”
 
“Then your torment will be unending.” Cadderly Bonaduce continued the spell of exaction, and the imp howled. Torture, even when inflicted on an imp from the nether planes, pained him. But sometimes, most often with beings from the nether planes, it was a necessary evil.
 
The young priest had found the imp sneaking around the great cathedral, Spirit Soaring. While Cadderly was well hated by many denizens of the Nine Hells, this imp was not here to harm him nor anyone else at Spirit Soaring. The imp had been looking for something, and Cadderly wanted to know what.
 
Malektu continued to hurl insults at the priest, threats of greater demons coming in the night to take all that he held dear. The threats were stale in Cadderly's ears; this was not the first time—far from—he had irked an imp.
 
“If not a name, then tell me what you were looking for, imp. One or the other. Then I will release you.” Cadderly added steel to his voice, not giving any indication that the proceedings pained him. He continued the spell of exaction, Malektu's screams escalating into a perverse inquisition symphony.
 
Eventually, the imp broke. “Yote!” it screamed, amid heaving breaths and agonized whimpers. “I look for yote!”
 
That had the priest confused. “Yote? The mushroom?”
 
“Yes, stupid priest! I look for yote for the—“ the imp stopped.
 
“You try my patience, imp. What was the yote for?”
 
“You say you let me go!” Malektu pleaded. “I tell you and you let me go!”
 
“The terms have changed. Tell me what the yote was for.”
 
“You lie! Stupid priest lie! I never tell! I neEEEEEEAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!” Malektu's curses were cut off when Cadderly sent searing pain through the imp. “Tuanta Quiro Miancay!” it screamed through the pain. “Tuanta Quiro Miancay!”
 
Cadderly's blood ran cold. Tuanta Quiro Miancay, the Most Fatal Horror.
 
Malektu almost escaped back to whence he came, but Cadderly recovered and held him fast. “Malektu, ehugu-winance! Who is seeking Tuanta Quiro Miancay? What demon seeks the Chaos Curse?” He didn't need to fake the steel in his voice, now. He remembered all too well what the Chaos Curse was. “Answer me, imp!” He spoke the words of the spell of exaction more forcefully now.
 
The imp was afraid. He'd heard tell of how powerful this priest was, but he didn't truly believe it. Now that he was angry, Malektu was granted a small glimpse of his power. “E-E-Errtu! It's Errtu! And another balor, I know not his name. Gamin, or Gaenen, perhaps. I tell the truth! The truth!”
 
“Very well, imp. Be gone, and hope that I have no further use of you.” He muttered an incantation, and the Malektu was gone.
 
Cadderly slowly fell to his knees, his adrenaline running out as he began to imagine the horror a balor could unleash with Tuanta Quiro Miancay. It was like that, on the floor, a distant, scared look in his eyes that his wife, Danica found him.
 
“Cadderly!” she cried as she rushed to him. “Cadderly!” Danica had seen her husband overcome before, but rarely since he built Spirit Soaring and became the ultimate priest of Deneir.
 
“The Chaos Curse,” he muttered over and over, “the Most Fatal Horror.” Shaking him proved ineffective, so she slapped him, hard. He finally looked at her. “Danica…? Danica!” he cried, and grabbed her by the shoulders. “The Chaos Curse! We have to stop them!”
 
“Stop who?” she asked.
 
“The demons, the balor! They're trying to recreate the Chaos Curse!”
 
“Oh…” was all Danica could say, when the full realization hit her. “Oh…oh oh oh…”
 
Cadderly went back over what the imp had told him. He knew of the balor Errtu from the tales Drizzt had told him. A balor, a greater demon, Errtu was obsessed with the drow ranger. Having fallen twice to Drizzt and his friends, he has taken on the mantle of he who hates Drizzt most, and impressive mantle considering the enemies that the drow has made.
 
But this other balor, Geanen or whatever his name was…Cadderly had never heard of him. Not in tales of any adventurer nor in any of the obscure and arcane texts that he had studied. He could only imagine the balor's power to be working with Errtu. He must contact Drizzt, he thought, and bring back Ivan and Pikel…
 
Something inside him stirred. He had blocked out all else in his panic, but now the Song of Deneir, the very feel of the god himself was moving once again within the young priest.
 
“Danica,” he said, completely calm and in control once more, “we must go.”
 
His wife looked at him with eyes still wide. “Go?”
 
He smiled. “Yes. Deneir has shown me the way. We must leave, tomorrow at the latest.”
 
“But what about the children?” she asked, not wanting to be separated from them with the threat of the Chaos Curse hanging over their heads once again.
 
“We bring them with us. You, me, the children, and a few others as well, but only one or two. We must travel swiftly.”
 
Danica trusted Cadderly implicitly. Where he led, she would follow. “Where are we going, Cadderly?”
 
“A kingdom I've never heard of, to be honest. But,” he said, looking over to a wall hanging with Deneir's symbol, the eye above the candle, “I have it on good authority that it's there.”
 
Danica had composed herself by now, her years of training in the arts martial once again benefiting her. “What is this kingdom called?” she asked as they left the summoning chamber and stepped into the sunlight. It was a warm day, beautiful and clear. They could hear their children laughing and playing somewhere on the grounds. Cadderly imagined how different the scene would be if even one drop of Tuanta Quiro Miancay found its way here.
 
“Hyrule,” said Cadderly. “We are going to the Kingdom of Hyrule.”