Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Knights of the Realms ❯ Ch 15 - Fun Night ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

KNIGHTS OF THE REALMS
 
 
Fun Night
 
 
 
 
Talon ducked behind the counter in time to avoid the bottle. It shattered on the wall, but nobody took notice. They were too busy fighting.
 
“I knew those two were trouble,” he grumbled under his breath. “They walk in, and I knew there was gonna be trouble.” Fortunately, he had learned to read the signs long ago, and had started taking down the more expensive bottles off the self before anything happened. Somebody screamed and heard the crunch of wood. “Blasted white haired loudmouth, thinkin' he can just waltz in…” he grumbled, trailing off as he heard more sounds of his bars evident destruction.
 
 
“So where are these other two?” Drizzt asked. The drow was sitting on the edge of Hyrule Castle Town's fountain with Link, the Drifter preferring to stand.
 
The Drifter looked less than pleased. “I told Dante, `the center of the Castle Town, at the fountain.” He looked around irritably. “They should have been here by now.”
 
“Maybe he got the day wrong?” Drizzt wondered.
 
“No. Three days, I told him. Three days from when I hired him, at sunset, Castle Town Market, fountain.”
 
“Perhaps he ran into trouble.”
 
The Drifter shook his head. “No. Dante doesn't run into trouble. Trouble runs into Dante.”
 
From the direction of the Castle came a squad of guards, led by two angry citizens. They hurried past the three by the fountain and into one of the side streets. Above the rooftops, a small trail of smoke could be seen.
 
Link, being an honorary member of the Guard for services rendered, jumped up and ran after them.
 
“Why,” said the Drifter, “do I get the feeling that we should follow them?”
 
“I was wondering exactly the same thing.”
 
 
Janos Tind wondered what he had done wrong. He prayed daily to the Goddesses, was good to his wife and child, and even did some volunteer work at Lon Lon Ranch. Every now and again, he liked to sit down in Talon's bar and have a drink, maybe sing a few songs with his pals, and all in all just have a good time.
 
What, exactly, did he do to deserve this?
 
He stepped out of the path of a flying bottle, only to be bowled over by a flying body. Both men untangled themselves and stood up slowly, looking at each other for assurance that they weren't imagining this.
 
“C'mon,” complained the man in the center of the bar, “I thought we were gonna have some fun!”
 
His companion was leaning in the corner near Janos. “Aren't you going to do something?”
 
“He's your problem,” said the man in the corner. “You deal with him.”
 
Janos turned away in frustration, and faced the man in the center again. He advanced cautiously, easing his way around the perimeter of the room, hoping to make an exit with no incident. But the man noticed him.
 
“You,” he said, extending an arm to Janos, “let's do this, I'm starting to get bored.”
 
Janos started to move faster to the exit, but slipped on something that had spilled. Flailing his arms, he hit the edge of a table, sending it crashing down and launching the candle that was on it. The man avoided the candle, letting it sail harmlessly past.
 
“Playing with fire now? Oh, this could be fun…” Fortunately, he never got any farther than that. The guards burst through the door, and looked about at the unconscious bodies and overturned tables. The man stood a little straighter. “Officer, arrest that man!” He pointed at the slowly rising Janos. “He tried to harm me!”
 
The officers looked at Janos. They looked back at the man, standing tall with a great sword on his back. . They looked back to Janos, covered in bruises and unsteady on his feet.
 
They made the arrest.
 
 
Link was the first to arrive, closely followed by Drizzt and the Drifter. The Drifter couldn't help but sigh.
 
“I'm innocent! You have the wrong man!” yelled Dante, under the pressing weight of the six guards trying to subdue him.
 
“Innocent as to what?” Cloud asked, leaning back against the alley wall. “I seem to recall it was you that started the fight.”
 
The guards managed to get Dante to the ground. “You're not helping much,” he said.
 
“Sir Link!” the guard captain stood before the green clad Hero. “We have the situation under control now, sir.” He saluted. “We have arrested the miscreant and are retrieving the last of the bodies from the building. Merely unconscious sir,” he added as he saw Links eyes harden.
 
“What happened here?” Drizzt asked.
 
The captain looked back at the bar. “Well, sir—“
 
“Oh, I can tell you what happened!” came Dante's muffled voice from underneath a pile of guards.
 
Cloud pushed himself off of the wall. “Yes, tell them how you started a bar fight because they didn't have your drink.” He made his way over to Link and the others. “Which one of you is the Drifter?” he asked, his gaze switching between Drizzt and the Drifter.
 
“I am,” said the Drifter. “And you are Cloud.”
 
Cloud nodded.
 
“Drizzt,” said the drow, extending his hand. Cloud looked at it before taking it in his own. He turned to the last of the group.
 
“And this is…?”
 
Link opened his mouth to reply, but Tatl flew out of his cap and into Clouds face.
“The kid is Link, and I'm Tatl. And don't think you're gonna be the number one hero around here, `cause the spots already taken!”
 
Cloud swatted at the fairy, but Tatl was persistent, and kept herself in Clouds face until Navi tackled her out of the air.
 
“Don't judge all fairies by her. She's a little fiery.” She rose up to Clouds level, but stayed a respectable distance from his face. “Nice to meet you Cloud. I'm Navi.”
 
Cloud only nodded, not quite trusting himself to speak.
 
“Now that introductions are out of the way,” said the Drifter, “might we be able to find out what happened here?”
 
“It was like I said. He started a fight because they didn't have his drink,” said Cloud.
 
“It's a bar!” yelled Dante from under the pile of guards, which had grown by two during the introductions. “I should be able to walk into a bar and get a drink.”
 
“Which you could've,” said Cloud. “But you went and started making demands.”
 
“You call that drink? All they had was milk! MILK, for gods' sake. Not a drop of booze anywhere!”
 
Link and the Captain looked at each other quizzically. Alcohol? Indeed there was wine, but that was expensive, and used only on special occasions.
 
“A bar that sells only milk?” asked Drizzt. “I've never heard of such a thing.”
 
“Me neither,” said Cloud, “but when the sign says `Milk Bar,' you can make a safe assumption.”
 
“Well excuse me,” said the muffled voice of Dante.
 
The Drifter turned to the Captain. “What is the extent of the damages?”
 
Talon, who had been standing slightly to the side, and unable to contain himself anymore, was more than willing to tell him. “Well, we can start off the list with starting a fight that involved everyone—“
 
“If everyone took part, then was it entirely his fault?” asked Drizzt.
 
“Everyone took part,” explained Cloud, “whether they wanted to or not. When people started trying to sneak out the door, he brought the fight to them.”
 
“Then there's all the milk I lost. That's rupees out of my own pocket, that is!”
 
“It was milk,” Dante said sourly.
 
“Aye, and some of it bloody expensive milk, too!”
 
“What else?” asked the Drifter, not wanting anymore confrontations.
 
“How about the damage to the bar itself! I don't think a single table's unbroken in there!” A whumph followed by a whoosh of air and the shattering of glass behind Talon made him freeze. Talons eyes got a faraway look in them. “Don't tell me…”
 
“Call for the Fire Brigade!”
 
Talon bent his head, and cried.
 
“Captain,” said the Drifter, “I know this crime is not to be taken lightly, and that punishment must be just and swift. But this man is on a mission of great import, and this matter must be resolved expediently. What channels must we go through to get this unpleasant business done and over with?”
 
The Captain of the Guard sneered. “Oh, I don't think anything's gonna be expedient about this, been a long time since something this big happened he—“ Link put his hand on the Captains shoulder. The shared a hard look, where much was said.
 
“I suppose,” the Captain said after looking away, “that we can take this matter directly before the Princess, but…”
 
“Whoa whoa whoa, Princess?” asked Dante beneath the press of guards. “As in, female, highborn, usually ridiculously good looking?”
 
The Captain looked nervous. “Yes…”
 
“Okay, then,” said Dante, standing up and shrugging of the guards like leaves. “Let's do this. I'm always ready to meet a pretty girl.”
 
“Ya know,” said Tatl to Link as the group moved through town towards the castle, “I think this might be a fun night.”
 
“Fun, probably not. Interesting, perhaps,” replied Navi. “But,” she said, echoing Links own thoughts, “this can only end in tears.”