Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Knights of the Realms ❯ Ch 19 - Prelude ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

KNIGHTS OF THE REALMS
 
 
Prelude
 
 
 
 
Weary from the day's events, Zelda let the dress fall from her shoulders. One of her hand maidens helped her step out of it and took it away, while another took away her undergarments after she took them off. Naked, she stepped into the bath.
 
The hot water enveloped her, steam rising from the surface and wreathing her head in the comforting warmth. It seeped into her, easing some of the tension that had settled into her muscles, but not enough, and not nearly all of it.
 
Demons.
 
Damn damn damn. The forces of evil were nothing new to the Princess, but…all the combined forces of hell…s. It took seven years and the combined powers of the seven sages, with both the Triforces of Wisdom and Courage to defeat Ganon.
 
Just how were they supposed to deal with hundreds of demons, thousands even, many just as powerful as the dread Gerudo Lord? The people of Hyrule were not bred for war of any sort; they were a peaceful people by nature and practice. Yes, the Hyrule Royal Guard was a militaristic organization, and every soldier would protect the land they loved with their very lives, but that was just it. Their hearts were in the right place, but they were not a combative people, and would eventually succumb to a continued onslaught.
 
She wrapped her arms around herself, a deep cold coming over her despite the heat of the bath. She fervently hoped that Link and the others could put an end to this before it began. She just as quickly scolded herself for doubting the hero and the rest of the group. The Drifter seemed to know what he was about, not acting `til he had time to assess the situation, but it was in his eyes that she had seen hope. They were old eyes, and hardened. One didn't become an old adventurer by rushing into things ill prepared.
 
“Wh…Where are we?”
 
The voice jerked Zelda out of her contemplations. The voice was female, but all her handmaidens had gone. Then who…? She had the foresight to cover herself as best she could with her hands right before the owner of the voice fell into the bath with her. From where, Zelda couldn't discern, but there were more important things at the moment.
 
“Who are you!?” the Princess demanded, affronted, and rightly so.
 
The speaker stood, her red hair heavy with water, and looked around searchingly. “Cadderly?”
 
Zelda's irritation was rising. “I asked who you—“ she started, but was cut off when a second body fell into the bath.
 
“—there soon…Oh, blas—“ it said, from its time of appearance to when it hit the water, the voice identifying it as male. It floundered for a second before standing, sputtering as it did. “But whe—wha—was supposed to be a castle…Danica, I don't…Danica. Danica!” He wore a wide brimmed hat that had become waterlogged, and now the edges hung so low that he couldn't see anything. The woman with the red hair, presumably Danica, put her hands on the mans shoulders, steadying him.
 
“Easy, love, I'm here.” She raised the brim of his hat, and the mans face was awash in relief.
 
“Oh, thank goodness! I had thought for sure that we'd been separated when the spell went wrong. I don't understand it myself, we were supposed to wind up in the castle...”
 
Zelda cleared her throat. The two mystery people looked, noticing her for the first time. “Good. Now that I have your attention, might you be so good as to tell me why, exactly, you are in my bath?”
 
The man looked perplexed for a moment. “Bath? I don't—oh…” His face turned several shades of red when he realized that she was indeed dressed as one would be for the bath. Danica just as quickly lowered the brim of his hat again, blocking his view.
 
“I do apologize, ma'am,” she said, lowering her head before turning both her and the man around. “If you would like to clothe yourself, we would gladly explain our presence and make amends.”
 
“Indeed,” her companion chimed in, his voice somewhat muffled from the hat brim hanging around his face.
 
Zelda rose, keeping a reign on her temper. “Very well. I would appreciate that you refrain from moving.”
 
“Yes ma'am.”
 
Zelda quickly gathered the night gown that had been prepared for her. While not quite the apparel that she would deal with company in, it would have to do. “Alright,” she said, clothed once more, “please explain yourselves.”
 
The two companions turned around slowly. “I am Cadderly Bonaduce, your Ladyship,” he said, sweeping off his sodden hat and bowing, “Chosen of Deneir, and this is my wife, Danica Maupoissant.” He stood again, looking rather sheepish. “I, er, fear that a traveling spell of mine went, ah, awry, you might say…”
 
“It went awry,” Danica said, a slight grin tugging at her mouth. “We do apologize, Miss.”
 
“I heard you mention a castle, Mr. Bonaduce. Just where were you trying to go?”
 
“Ahm…to be honest, I don't know where we are, so you may not have even heard of it, but someplace called, er, Hyrule.” He looked at her, hope plain in his eyes.
 
“I've heard of it,” said Zelda, wanting to know more, and still unsure about the intentions of the two. “I cannot say from where, but it sounds familiar. What was your business there?”
 
“Well, we really shouldn't say, it was to meet someone, really, nothing extraordinary…”
 
“But surely you can tell me who,” said Zelda, smiling slightly. “After all, you did interrupt my bath.”
 
Cadderly nodded begrudgingly. “This is true…”
 
“We were seeking a girl named Zelda,” said Danica, edging in front of her husband. “We came with both a warning and a proposition for her, both of which are quite urgent. We are sorry for the inconvenience, but could you please tell us where we are, so that we might continue on our way?”
 
Zelda smiled in spite of her self. “You are in Hyrule, Danica Maupoissant, and I am Princess Zelda.”
 
The silence that followed was equal parts shock and embarrassment. “Er…” said Cadderly after a while. “I suppose that the spell did indeed work, then…er,” he trailed off, looking at Zelda once more, but not quite being able to meet her gaze.
 
“My Lady,” said Danica, bowing, recovering much better than her husband. “We apologize most profusely for this unannounced and indecent intrusion.” She rose, and looked the Princess in the eye. “Unfortunately, what we told you about the warning was true, as was the urgency.”
 
Zelda nodded. “Very well. Come, we will speak in my chambers.” She turned to go through the only door in the room. “Ah,” she said, remembering the state of the two. “I almost forgot. A quick drying spell would be in or—“
 
Cadderly had a finger raised, and steam was emanating from both he and Danica. “One step ahead of you, My Lady.”
 
Zelda motioned to two of the high-backed chairs in the chamber, and she sat herself in a third facing the two. “Now,” she said, sitting straight and putting on as regal an appearance as one could while wearing a night gown, “what is this warning?”
 
Cadderly coughed nervously. “You wouldn't happen to be familiar with Tuanta Quiro Miancay, My Lady? The Most Fatal Horror? The Chaos Curse?” Zelda gave a slow shake of her head. “Ah. Well, that is fortunate that you have never had to deal with it before. Unfortunately, I fear that your ignorance may not continue.” He took a breath. “Tuanta Quiro Miancay itself is a prelude to utter chaos, as its other name implies. It is a magical concoction that permeates the very air in which it is placed, like an invisible mist. Every single mind that it comes into contact with is affected, and the only sure way to guarantee immunity…” he trailed off, his face showing the briefest flash of inner pain.
 
“Is to be the one that leases the potion,” finished Danica.
 
Zelda's face was grave. “And just what effect does the potion have?”
 
“The potion infects the mind,” explained Cadderly, “releasing all inhibitions, leaving the victim susceptible to any idea. Even if an idea doesn't seem good, it won't seem wrong. But the true cruelty of the potion is that along with removing inhibitions, it plants a suggestion in the mind.”
 
“A suggestion?”
 
Cadderly nodded. “Yes. The suggestion of the victims greatest desire.”
 
“I have come under the sway of the Chaos Curse before,” said Danica. “At the time, I was absorbed in my training of the arts martial, specifically a technique that would have allowed me to split a great stone slab with my just my head.” She paused, and raised a hand to her forehead. “I almost killed myself, utterly convinced that the next blow would be the one to shatter it.”
 
Zelda frowned. “I can see the threat posed by this…this Chaos Curse, but,” she looked up at Cadderly, “how do you know that my kingdom is in danger from it?”
 
“Truth be told, I don't,” said Cadderly.
 
“Then why—“
 
“However,” he said, raising a hand, “I do know that I was guided here for a reason. I had just received this information from an imp that had stolen into my home. I was without any clue as to what to do when my god revealed to me the existence of your world and yourself. Which brings me to my proposition.” Zelda raised an eyebrow. “I do not know for certain whether or not you and your kingdom are being targeted, but I do know that if we work together, we may just be able to head off the release of this accursed potion.”
 
“And how do you know I will be of any help, Cadderly Bonaduce? You admitted just now that my existence was a mystery to you until just recently.”
 
Cadderly smiled. “Because you remind me of myself. I can not only feel the power within you, but an understanding of that power, going far beyond what any wizard or mage could hope to comprehend. I feel I make a safe assumption in saying that you are a Chosen; as close to your god or goddess as you can be. As am I.”
 
It was Zelda's turn to smile. “I wondered when you'd get around to mentioning that.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“You were not the only one that noticed the similarity. Indeed I am a Chosen, as you call it. I am the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom, and closest to the goddess Nayru. Very well, Cadderly Bonaduce,” Zelda said, standing. “I will work with you to hopefully avoid the release of this Chaos Curse.” She held out her hand.
 
Cadderly stood and took it within his own. “This looks to be the start of—“ he started when Zelda looked around suddenly.
 
“Impa?” she asked out loud, to the confused looks of Cadderly and Danica.
 
“Is everything alrigh—“ he was cut off again when Zelda held up a hand, her brow furrowed with concentration.
 
Her eyes shot open wide. “No…”
 
A knight burst through the door at that moment. “Princess! Ka—“
 
“Kakariko is under attack!” the Princess finished for him, and ran past him. Cadderly and Danica followed, leaving one very confused and even more worried knight in her chamber.
 
He turned to follow the hastily retreating monarch when he stole a glance out the window, in the direction of Kakariko Village. He had a sickening feeling that the Princess would be too late, as he watched even more demons pour from the sky.