Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ 101 Reno Drabbles ❯ Chapter 3 - Don't Go ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3- Don't Go
“I'd never taken the concept of death very well. I guess that's because I never really got what death actually meant until my dad died.” I paused for a moment, shifting my weight uncomfortably as red locks fell into my vision. Against my better judgment, I decided to just go ahead and get the story out of the way.
“I was about six. It was winter and cold as shit outside. My old man worked hard to get by for mom and I; fucking pity really since he was so capable of doing more that he did. Anyway, I remember this one night, he was late coming home from the reactor. He was a maintenance guy by the way. But like I was saying, it was weird. I mean, my old man was practically a human alarm clock. I'd never seen him late for anything. He may have only been a half hour late, but in dad time that was hours. So I asked if I could go look for him real quick. My ma was reluctant, but she said yes in the end.”
My eyes shifted to the floor as my discomfort grew and the story progressed.
“I remember it was really cold. It'd just started snowing earlier that week, so everything was white. I called my dads name for awhile as I searched when I came to this hard lumpy thing in the snow.”
Fuck. How did we even start talking about this?
“Didn't take very long to find out it was my dad. Also didn't take long to see he was lying in a pool of his own blood; snow makes it a bit too damn easy to see blood. I musta sat there an' held him for 15 minutes max before mom found us. Honestly, it felt like hours. Anyway, it wasn't the knife wound my dad received from the mugger that killed him. It was the infection that came from lying in six degree weather that did it. Hell, I'm just still pissed my dads life was only worth 23 gil.”
I shook my head, shaking away the memory while shaking myself back into reality. What was the point of this conversation again? Oh yeah, that's right.
“Midgar is dangerous enough on its own. So please, stop following me when I go on missions. I know you worry but….I don't want to…”
My resolve had broken the moment I had looked at you, seen the destitute look on your face. It didn't help when you wrapped your arms around me tightly, almost as if you were holding me together.
“Don't worry,” I heard you whisper as I felt your tears hit my face. “I'm not going anywhere.”