Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ 15-minute ficlet #1- once there were heroes ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]
word #20: dust

when there were heroes- ff8.

<i>words from an old woman to her daughter.</i>



Everything turns to dust in the end, my dear.

You young ones... you remember so little of the old ways, back when the air was clean and ther magic was free and pure.

There were heroes back then, my darling- heroes as have not been seen since, heroes that would kill just as easily as breathe.

It's a shame that we have nothing of the sort now. Not since Hyne fled this world, and the sorceresses grew powerful. No-one dares to stand in their way- Adel, you know, is a cruel woman- but in the old days, my dear, she would have been no more than dust in the palm of a <i>true</i> knight.

For you know, child, that while today our time in the world is short, and we are mere children to the gods, once it was not so.


Once humans <i>were</i> gods. And gods were humans, or so it is said. We were one with the divine spirits, and shared their strength. Yet should a hero no longer remain worthy of his power, then the force inside him could reduce him to ashes.

That is why only the sorceresses may wield magic, you know. Because only a hero could have the power to defeat them. They fear humans, and loathe us, and wish for us all to be gone- but at the same time they <i>need</i> us, need to feed off our love and hate and fear.

My child, if nyou only knew how to use this power, how to use what has lain in our blood for generations-

But hush, your child has awoken. Settle little Seifer in his bed, and perhaps I will continue my tale another time. In a safer place than this.