Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Break in Character ❯ Listen to my heart beat ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Irvine never wanted to do anything that stupid or dangerous again in his life. Water pressure was getting the better of the busted submarine, sparks were splashing him in the face. He could have been fried in that tin can just like the original captain when the jolt of electricity engulfed it. Poor bastard would make it, though. Squall wouldn't outright kill them. At least not on purpose. But, that was ten minutes ago, and heading to town with the crew, and his boyfriend, the sniper well walked it off.

The lot of them headed for the Inn up the long road. It would have been an exhausting walk in any other town, after what they'd been through, but Winhill is so beautiful and scenic. It melted away all cares the farther in they headed. The two cadets' pace slowed as they passed by a large field, their attention was drawn by a flock of sheep and their little lambs. They look so peaceful.

"...You think with all that casual grazing they eventually eat another's waste?"

Squall had to think about that. Would they? Do they not care?

"Kinda makes you wonder if that's how 'mad cow disease' happens? Farmers keep them penned up, they eat that tainted food..."

Squall turned green.

"It's enough to make you be a vegetarian... almost. I love meat too much." He rubbed his boyfriend's shoulder good-naturedly, then continued to the Inn. Squall seemed to need a moment but he followed after Irvine.

"I'm sorry," said the receptionist with an apologetic smile at the two teens who just asked her for a room at the Inn. Being a small village this was a first for her to say, as they don't get many borders in the tiny village to fill the place up. "But all the rooms with double beds are taken up, we only have a suite left." Feeling she had to do something, she added. "However, our furniture is very comfortable, the chaise wouldn't be a bad fit at all for a night's rest."

"That's fine. We'll take the room," Irvine replied. "We're Garden cadets, we're used to making do with unexpected conditions."

The cheer from the receptionist became genuine and relieved hearing that. Low ratings could make a mediocre establishment fall to ruins for outsiders. They'll find it's better just to camp! A shuddering thought.

Turning away, she reached for the room key.

It was at that moment Irvine leaned to the side and planted a kiss on Squall's cheek. He smiled at the mortified expression it garnered. "Tag." He whispered before straightening to take the key from the unsuspecting receptionist.

"Enjoy your stay."

"What was that?" Squall asked when they got to their room.

"Well, nothing, if you don't play along." Irvine paused when he realized he was about to drop a bag that he wasn't even carrying. Their luggage sank with the ship. 'Shit.' He scratched the back of his head in thought. 'Guess we gotta hit up the store.'

"Play along?" Squall asked. He walked over towards the phone, picking it up.

"A little game of 'Kissing-Tag', the goal is to sneak in a smooch when nobody's looking." He fell back onto the ridiculously soft bed. Who could sleep on something that sinks this much? He wondered as he stared at the ceiling then dropped his eyes to Squall. "Am I up by one or have I made a fool of myself for nothing?"

Squall held up his hand to silence him. "Headmaster, it's Squall Leonhart."

Irvine smiled, he couldn't image Squall needed to state his last name as there couldn't be that many Squall's attending Balamb Garden.

"We've run into some trouble, and we need another boat or submarine sent over for us and the crew." Leonhart listened to the headmaster. "It sank, sir." He nodded. "Everyone's fine, and the shipment made it to shore." As if the situation dawned on him as well, he began looking around but stopped when he saw Irvine's mouth say. "It sank". "As soon as you can. Thank you." He hung up.

"No 'good-bye'?" asked the sniper.

"He said it."

'He just becomes more adorable with each personal trait.' Sitting up, Irvine stretched his limbs. "Wanna go shopping? We need some dental hygiene if nothing else."

"Yeah." They walked to the door, when Squall pulled it open and saw a crew member loitering just inside the room and hall they rented, he grabbed Irvine's hand and planted a peck on it. "One." He walked out into the hall.

'Game on.' Grinned the sniper.

0 0 0

"This place is nice," Irvine looked about as they walked to the nearest convenience store. "It amazes me that people can live so peacefully. And it smells like flowers." He took in some quick whiffs of air.

Squall nudged Irvine then pointed to a large field heavily invaded by bloomed flowers of every shape and color.

"They're pretty, huh? I like how they can all be different but share the same space."

"You say some pretty sweet things, no one would ever peg you as a war hero." Commented Leonhart, turning down along the road.

"It's part of my MO. The epitome of kindness, right before I plug you between the eyes." He aimed with his fingers and whispered "Pow. Bang". Looking sheepish, he nodded to an elderly woman stepping out of her home. "Hi, ma'am."

She smiled in return then went on her way.

"Or maybe I was wrong, and you're psychotic." Squall held the door open for his boyfriend.

"That's a possibility." Stepping inside, he instantly appreciated the cool air by giving a refreshed "Aah" once the heat was pushed off him. Seeing the cashier was busy with another customer, Irvine stepped behind Squall and kissed him on the back of the neck.

Squall hurried away from Irvine, he was sure there was a rule where you must tag back and forth rather than just adding up how many times you can do it. That is how tag works, but he didn't wanna take the chance.

The sniper read Squall's hasty retreat for what it was, and left him alone. He has no plans to rack up points right away. Besides, he wants to browse, his boyfriend went straight for the dental care shelf. He picked up a bag of gummy candy, then set it back down after reading the flavors. Checking a couple more he grabbed a bag, then went around for his toothbrush.

"What paste do you want?" Asked the commander looking around for Irvine, spotting him easily amongst the shelves by height.

"Winter green?"

Squall looked down. "Yeah."

"That one."

Squall grabbed it then moved to the potato chips and other salty snacks.

"Hello," Irvine said to the male cashier. "Can I get a box of condoms, medium, and is there lube here?"

The cashier and Irvine looked to where there was a light commotion of sound from, what sounded like, bags dropping.

"Yeah," letting the incident go, as the mess-maker, seemed to be cleaning it up. "Back shelves to the right, by the liquor."

Wandering back that way, Irvine caught a glance of Squall retreating to the register. He selected a lightly scented lubricant, they're all, not surprisingly, scented after flowers. Honeysuckle, rose water, marigolds, and blossom.

Joining Squall at the register, he grimaced when seeing the chips selected. His boyfriend must have noticed the face, because he took the offending bag back to the aisle then returned with another.

'So considerate. Was I being too bold to get condoms?' Wondered the sniper.

"Are you together?" Asked the cashier suddenly.

"Huh?" Jumped the pair's vocal octave.

"Or should I bag these separately?" He continued without verbally missing a beat, despite the raised brow from the customer's sudden panic.

"Together." Irvine said proudly, though one would assume he was talking about their purchases.

The items are stuffed into a brown paper bag with a large recycling logo on the front and: Please recycle printed beneath it, then it is slid over to whomever would reach for it first. Irvine took the bag then they exited the shop.

He held the door open for Squall this time, and they started back up the road for the Inn. A few people pointed at them, or rather Squall, as they made their way. Whether or not he was shying from the attention was hard to say, though he did dip his head a bit to maybe hide his face for whatever reason.

"Wonder what they're so into?" Irvine stepped from beside his boyfriend and asked directly. "What's up? Y'all know him or something?"

Squall now looked as though he was ready to curl up and die. To him this moment was like going up to a stalker and asking if the paper came? It's just odd. And uncomfortable.

"Oh, we weren't meaning to be rude, but.." They pointed to Squall, and asked. "Is that Raine's boy? He looks familiar."

"Raine?" He's heard that name before. Laguna said something about her to them, once upon a time in February. Irvine looked at Squall, then replied. "Don't know. Maybe. Squall? They wanna know if you know Raine?"

Squall, with a muddled expression, only blinked.

...

They followed the older woman into her home, and are currently sitting down at a kitchen table before a freshly poured cup of iced tea with honey and orange. Though she has greying hair, and a telltale wrinkle or two, the kindly woman isn't elderly. More like an older aunt.

"I never would have thought I'd see the day," she was saying as she took a seat across from Squall. "When little Squall came back to town."

"So.. Raine is my mother?" asked the solemn gunblader.

"What? Oh goodness, no. Raine died after childbirth, her first an" She sipped her tea thoughtfully. "When I think of how that big galoot Laguna Loire kept leaving her alone all in search of some…" She left the word unsaid. She wanted to say "witch", but it would be too rude to use on a child.

"You mean, Sis?"

"Ellone. Yes." She lifted her glass, intent to drink from it, but then put it back down. "You were just a baby when Raine adopted you. You were dropped off by a woman with dark hair, it looked almost black until the sun hit it showing that it was just a dark brown." She smiled. "Pretty woman. Too skinny, though." She laughed. "She kept singing that song on the radio to you while she waited for Raine's answer when she asked her to adopt you."

"Why would she hesitate?"

"A baby, I know, who could turn it away? But Raine seemed apprehensive to the woman, not to you, dear." She shook her head, hair of brown and peppered grey curls shook like the leaves of a tree getting smacked by a strong wind. "I think I recognized her myself, but only after she'd appeared on television with an announcement that she'd married an Army general, General Caraway, that I recalled her to be that singer Julia Heartilly."

"Julia Heartily…"

"An affair, most likely why she gave her baby up."

Irvine, who was silently listening, exchanged a look with each other. Was it possible? Laguna had gotten his memory back. Had he sought out Julia and had a one-night-stand with her?

"I had the best time watching you grow and play with your, eh, Sis, Ellone." Waving her hand, she added. "We're an older crowd, don't get many kids around here. So your giddy young voices were refreshing. You kept Raine from losing her sanity because she'd lost her best friend during a raid. Soldiers of that witch Adel came through here like a storm, ranting and raving for heirs… They demanded that all children be taken away… Every single one. But her friend refused to even admit to having a child. They were killed…"

The cadets could see it. A tragedy indeed.

"Raine adopted Ellone. The three of them were so happy. Then you came along, and the four of you grew happily along together." Her keen eyes winked at Squall. "That big idiot, Laguna, never knew you were his son. I don't even know if he ever found it out. Has he?"

"I didn't even know. I don't know when he found out, but.. He did eventually tell me."

"I see." She drank her tea, then set the glass down. "Whatever happened with Ellone?"

"She's detained in a safe place in Ethar. She and Laguna live together."

"And you?"

"I'm a SeeD at Balamb Garden."

"Hn. I suppose being a soldier just runs in the blood." She looked Squall over, seeing at first the puffy, grubby little boy, then the current young man before her. His solemn eyes, the scar on his forehead. What the world must have done to him. "Raine loved you like her own,"

"I'm lucky she did."

"Well, I've talked your ears off long enough, you kids get along and do whatever it is you do at this age." She nodded. "No liquor in that bag, is there?"

"No ma'am. But the weed might be against the law." Irvine teased, then placed his finger to his lips asking for her silence.

She laughed, and exclaimed. "Thought so."

Saying their goodbyes they walked out of the home then headed back to the Inn, thoughts swirled in their minds about what they'd heard.

"What are you thinking?" Asked Irvine.

"Nothing much... But... I do wonder if Laguna knows? Who would have thought.. I had wondered about my parents. I thiught the G.F.s made me forget them, I didn't know I was a baby when I was adopted, I thought it was when I was four, like the rest of you."

"Are you gonna tell him?"

Squall blinked, perplexed. "What? That he has a daughter he's never met, or that my mother was Julia?"

Irvine shrugged his hand. "Both."

Squall shook his head. There was no point to it. If he ever found himself with Laguna, alone, he'd maybe mention it.

When they arrived to their room, Irvine checked his watch. Still early. "Wanna stop by a clothing store then get something to eat?" He dropped the convenience store items, still in the bag, on the writing desk. Wouldn't want housekeeping to see anything unsettling to her about the pair.

Squall looked like he was about to question the shopping trip, then smelled the reek of ocean on his clothes and body. As if channeling Fuujin, he replied. "Immediately."

...

If they told people that they weren't planning on ever having sex with each other, an onlooker or eavesdropper wouldn't believe it. The couple stood under the warm spray of shower water, wrapped in each other's arms, kissing like the world was scheduled to end at any minute. Groping hands toured contours of smooth skin, as even battle scars were slicked by the soapy water. It seems they were too hungry to wait until after they washed so they could eat.

They had only planned on washing each other's back, but one thing led to another when a frothy trail of soap suds slid down Irvine's back and between his buttocks, he reached behind him snagging Squall by the rear to pull him close, to press his body right there. Squall moved his hands around to Irvine's front, the soapy rag whirled circles around his torso, where he teasingly dipped his fingertip in and out of the sniper's navel suggestively. Now they're creating a water shortage while embraced in a liplock to give security companies work to step up their game.

Squall titled his head back exposing his neck more; the precious sigh from his boyfriend surged Irvine's desire to hear it again, as often as he can within the duration of this private moment. His teeth grazed the area with expertise that spoke of impending bite, but it didn't occur, the tease was just right to make the commander breathe a little more audibly.

"Irvine," Squall's words came to a halt due to being kissed on the lips once again.

When the sniper stopped mauling him to admire his boyfriend's flushed expression, he asked. "Hmm?"

"Why'd you buy condoms?"

Irvine would have turned pink had he not been made reddish by the warm water. "Well, I kinda don't know how far this relationship will go, or what we'll do while we wait for our ride home." He shrugged his shoulder. "Too soon?"

Squall, with a guilty look, shrugged his shoulder in response. "Maybe.. Maybe not."

"Okay." He kissed him, for what was the last time, because he reached behind his boyfriend and turned off the water. "Wanna get lunch?"

Squall nodded. Brushing his hair back to remove excessive water, he stepped out of the tub. "The crew were downstairs eating in the dining room, or would you rather go someplace else?"

"Anywhere is fine with me." He squeezed his long hair out, the waterfall slammed into the porcelain tub like large rubber balls pounding into boards. He stepped out of the tub, greeted by a towel going around his waist.

"I think we should." Squall used drying his boyfriend off as an excuse not to meet his eye.

"Here?"

"Yeah. We can't exactly do it when we get back, we're in different Gardens."

Elated, Irvine nodded since nervous joy closed up his throat.

"I..."

"You?"

Squall expelled a sigh, and meeting Irvine's eye he stated in defiance as if daring his boyfriend to tease him about it. "I bought condoms before we boarded the ship. They're in the ocean now..."

Irvine snickered. "That works out, too many fish being born these days."

Squall cocked a brow. "What do I see in you?" He smiled.

"Stunning good-looks. And witty, too."

"And your loaded."

Irvine laughed. Squall will forever bust his chops over that lottery win confession. Wrapping his arms around him from behind, he kissed cheeky Squall's shoulder then the back of his head. He felt Squall's heart rate pickup when he whispered into his ear. "You're the best thing about me." He nuzzled his cheek against Squall's before releasing him.

0 0 0

Lunch was delicious, they went to a small sandwich shop and ate it outside the shop on an iron bench. They didn't say anything to each other, just watched the people of the small town go about their business. Irvine listened in to a few words spoken in Galbadian. Sometimes a person's glance would linger on Squall. Irvine figured his boyfriend's looks must not have changed too drastically from when he was a little boy, if the old townies are ogling him with such remembrance.

"Let's go back to the Inn." Squall said, for the reason of what Irvine knew was discomfort from the glances.

The walk back to the Inn was also in a comfortable silence. However, the fact that Squall grabbed onto his hand spoke volumes. Irvine wanted to ask what Squall was thinking. Maybe he said too much, earlier in the bathroom.

'I'm being too sensitive. He's holding my hand, and in public- true, this ain't our crowd, but still.. It's a bold move.' Making his grip a little more present, he kept a smile inside. Squall wants to sleep with him. 'He bought his own condoms… How crazy is that?'

He felt Squall's grasp linger, for just a second, before he released it to open the door of the Inn.

"Afternoon boys, we've got a vessel coming for us in a couple days. Will you be joining us?"

"You should cancel that, Garden is sending submarines out. They'll be here soon, maybe tomorrow morning or tonight." Squall replied to the captain, who greeted the pair with a big grin and joyous energy.

"We're sea-dogs, we can wait." He clapped his hand against Irvine's back. "Guess you kids have to go back to your duties."

"Mhmm." Replied Irvine, slipping free from the man's hold.

"We're going out to the bar up the road tonight. Come along before you say good-bye."

"We're seventeen." Squall shook his head.

"Right! Ahaha! Maybe you kids can go to the arcade with the cabin lads then. Later, boys."

"Was he calling us babies?" Asked Irvine as he followed Squall up to their room. He got a response, though not verbally, he could tell his boyfriend was thinking not to put too much care in the words of a man who has a large sauce stain on his shirt.

Irvine looked at himself in the mirror. He checked his eyes for goo, he smelled his hair, although he knew it was clean and smelled fresh. He just finished brushing his teeth, so his breath is alright. Okay. All good. So why is he suddenly so nervous?

'Because I've never had sex with a guy before, that's why. It should be no different than with a girl. It's all about putting it in then pulling it out.' He rubbed his hands together to remove the cold child numbing them. 'Don't be such a baby. Squall is probably looking to you for strength, he's probably just as nervous… Okay. You're good, Kinneas. Go get 'im.'

Opening the bathroom door, he stepped into the room. The 'gulp' inducing, well-lit room. Squall watched his every step like a hunter would its prey. Taking a seat beside him on the large bed, he nervously smiled.

"So like, we should decide who's on top."

Squall nodded, then said, "I'll do it."

'That was fast.' Irvine expelled a dry laugh, and scratched the back of his head. "Okay."

Squall showed him that he'd already removed a condom from the box, then he gestured for Irvine to lay down.

Doing as he's instructed, Irvine laid back on the mattress. "And you know what you're doing?"

"It's not hard to figure out." He climbed on top of him.

"Right." His voice squeaked.

Squall kissed him lightly on the lips. "Don't be nervous, or you'll make me nervous."

"Aren't you?"

"I just spent the last six minutes getting over a freak-out." He caressed Irvine's cheek. "Of course I was nervous about this."

They kissed each other passionately for a moment, as if their words were nothing to what their bodies want. Their movements couldn't crack like a voice, there was no trembling of fear, only pleasure. And with a simple touch of his member from Squall's warm, firm hand, he felt his cares melt away. Of course he'll be fine. What was there to worry about?

Certainly nothing too scary about being wrapped in Squall's strong arms, and holding onto his weight as he rests comfortably against him. He was never in fear of the strokes against his flesh while his boyfriend explored his body in any direction the mood took his interest to grope upon. He moaned into Squall's mouth as his fingers chose that moment to caress his entrance before moving away to simply cruise the round of his rear.

Squall hummed when Irvine brushed his thumb along the whorl of his ear, his index tickled just inside the hole, he pinched it at the lobe, giving the earring a twist that enticed Squall's desire to begin to rock and sway into his boyfriend's body.

He uncapped the lubricant, squeezing some into his hand, then taking Squall's hand into his grasp he smeared it around by massaging his boyfriend's hand. The rich scent of flowers joined the musk in the warm air blowing in through the open window. Their hands seemed to be sharing in the same sensual dance as their bodies as they slid around each other in synchronized foreplay.

The sniper wrapped his legs around Squall's hips to expose himself more when Squall began to penetrate him first through the mouth with his tongue, then within the dip of his navel from light brushes as he tenderly touched his torso. Squall's hand then coursed down along his pelvis, coming to a pause at his genitals to increase the erected state. Irvine bucked his hips into the grasp, left breathless and in a haze of pleasure, so that he wasn't the least bit resistant when Squall stuck in the first finger.

It moved in with such ease that it wasn't long before a second finger joined, opening the way of passage wider, and wider still with a third finger added, but it shied away when Irvine moaned with a hint of strain. Irvine rocked his hips with the moving two fingers, a signaling nod told Squall to go for the third then.

They kissed tirelessly as Squall prepared his boyfriend, and when the tip of Irvine's weeping member stuck to his torso, he removed his fingers and placed himself to move in. The couple cried out together, it was hard to tell whose voice was coming in loudest as their tones crashed into each other's moaning mouths.

This… Is… Incredible! Irvine could only think that one sentence as he was ruled by the king of the land of delight and pleasure. Every sight, scent, smell, taste, shiver and shudder. It was all Squall. All for Squall. All because of Squall. His pleasure rose and fell at his command. It was an odyssey of pleasure for the senses.

It can't end. They grunted and groaned. It shouldn't be allowed to end. The bed banged. Why can't this go on forever? Their bodies slowed down and the thumping began to decrease while the pleasure increased. And with fingers digging in deep, backs arched and bowed, skin on fire, senses groping and pawing and committing the event to memory, the pair released….