Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ache: Pain Of Heart ❯ A Chance To Talk ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All characters are property of Squaresoft.
 
 
--
 
 
A Chance To Talk
 
 
Yuna looked up to see Maester Seymour and a couple of his assistants striding purposefully towards them. Anxiety fluttered up inside her like a butterfly, just like it had done when he'd looked at her the other day in Luca. He smiled warmly, capturing her gaze and holding it while they both made the prayer gesture. Her eyes were so striking and unique; one jade green and the other ocean blue.
 
 
“So we meet again, Lady Yuna.” He spoke softly.
 
 
“Y-Yes?” Yuna stuttered, suddenly finding her throat dry. She craned to look up at him; he was a good deal taller than her.
 
 
“You look troubled.” There was a pang of sympathy in his voice. “Is there anything I can do?”
 
 
Considering this, Yuna turned and stared at the gate behind them. The guards had refused them access only moments ago, and unless they could go on ahead, they were stuck on the Highroad for another night. She wasn't sure Wakka would be too pleased with having to stay at the Al Bhed's establishment again.
 
 
“Well…” she sighed, hoping she wasn't asking too much.
 
 
“I see.” Seymour carefully edged past her and walked over to the gate.
 
 
“Maester Seymour. Let me show you to the command centre.” The guard saluted.
 
 
“Hold.” Seymour said firmly. “I have a request.”
 
 
“Yes, your Grace?” the guard asked him, non-plussed.
 
 
“I need to have Summoner Yuna and her guardians let through to the command centre.”
 
 
“But, Maester Seymour, sir.” The guard spluttered.
 
 
“Do not worry. I will take full responsibility.” Seymour smiled in reassurance.
 
 
A little put out, the guard relented. “Very well. They may pass.”
 
 
Seymour turned back to Yuna, wearing a triumphant smile. “It is done.”
 
 
She smiled gratefully, bowing low. “Thank you, your Grace.”
 
 
Briefly, he returned the smile before turning and walking away, through the gate. He'd made Yuna smile; that was well worth suffering any consequences he'd have to face later on.
 
 
On the other side of the gate, a group of Crusaders assembled, saluting him as he approached them.
 
 
“All hail Maester Seymour!”
 
 
He stopped a couple of yards in front of them, his assistants standing wide on either side of him.
 
 
“Brave Crusaders of Spira, protectors of all Spira.” He began, raising his voice for effect. “Believe in the path you have chosen, let faith be your strength!” Inside, he smirked; he was very charismatic, and excellent at boosting morale. “I, Seymour Guado, maester of Yevon, will bear witness to your deeds today.”
 
 
The Crusaders saluted again. “Sir!” they chorused enthusiastically. Satisfied, Seymour spun round and smiled as he saw Yuna and her guardians standing a little way up the path. He walked up to them, first meeting Yuna's shy yet inquisitive gaze, and then looking to see Auron, standing tall beside her.
 
 
“Ah, Sir Auron. It is an honour.” Seymour nodded politely to the guardian. The man was legend incarnated. He was the very fabric that myth was made from. “I would be most interested in hearing what you've been doing these past ten years.”
 
 
“I've got nothing to say about it.” Auron said roughly, before walking away.
 
 
Slightly bemused, Seymour watched him disappear out the corner of his eye. “I… see.” Dismissing Auron's cold response, he turned to Yuna. “Sir Auron must be a great asset as a guardian.”
 
 
“Your Grace!” Yuna exclaimed, blushing slightly. It made her look positively radiant, Seymour thought.
 
 
“Please, there's no need for formalities.” He smiled, hoping to dispel some of the anxiety in the young summoner's eyes.
 
 
Suddenly, a man appeared beside him; he was presumably another of Yuna's guardians. Seymour looked at him, recognising him as Wakka, captain of the Besaid Aurochs. A small burst of pride lit up inside him as he remembered this, otherwise pointless, information. He generally tended to forget things like that in an instant.
 
 
“Excuse me…” the man began. “Maester Seymour?” Seeing that he had Seymour's attention, he continued. “Why is your Lordship… presently… present here… sir?” He scratched the nape of his neck, as he fought to find the right words. Seeing his struggle, Seymour sighed quietly.
 
 
“Please, speak as you normally would.”
 
 
Relieved, Wakka swallowed and rephrased his question, albeit somewhat nervously. “Isn't this operation against the teachings of Yevon? Aren't you gonna stop them?”
 
 
Seymour pondered over this. Part of him wanted to laugh at the blind ignorance of the guardian. “It's true…” he said carefully, thinking hard on what to say. “I should. However… Both the Crusaders and the Al Bhed truly wish peace for Spira.” He paused again, allowing this to sink in. “This Operation Mi'ihen was born from that wish they share. Although it may be sacrilege to Yevon, their intentions are pure. And I, Seymour Guado - the person, not the maester of Yevon… As a denizen of Spira, I wish them well in their endeavour.” He watched as Yuna's eyes lit up with inspiration. She was touched. Wakka, however, still wasn't entirely convinced.
 
 
“But, using machina… That's bad, isn't it?”
 
 
Smirking, Seymour gave a short, soft chuckle. “Pretend you didn't see them.” He suggested, listening in beguilement to the shocked chorus of gasps.
 
 
“Beg your pardon, but that's not something a maester should say!” Wakka protested in horror.
 
 
The response was almost inevitable.
 
 
“Then pretend I didn't say it.” Seymour said wearily.
 
 
“You're kidding!” An undertone of pleading haunted Wakka's exclamation.
 
 
He was met with a barrier of silence; Seymour strolled away, towards the command centre. Yuna watched him go, mulling over what he'd just told them. She could see the sense in what he was doing, and to a certain extent, she agreed with what he was doing. Everyone wanted peace after all, so teaming up and working together could only be a good thing, right?
 
 
Slowly, they followed on after him, carefully trying to avoid the numerous fiends that prowled the road. Yuna couldn't see Seymour having any problems with them; his aeon had been so powerful…
 
 
“Ah, Seymour… You've arrived at last.” Wen Kinoc greeted him from his seat by the fire. “How was the journey?”
 
 
“I allowed Lady Yuna and her guardians to pass through. Which reminds me…” Seymour beckoned to a nearby soldier. “Find Lady Yuna and tell her that I request her presence here.” The soldier saluted stiffly, before dashing off to relay the message.
 
 
Calmly, Seymour turned back to Kinoc. “Sir Auron is with her.” He smirked with satisfaction on seeing Kinoc's surprised look.
 
 
“Are you serious?”
 
 
“I am.” Seymour strolled closer to the fire, nodding to his assistants who bowed and dismissed themselves. “As you will see soon enough.”
 
 
Lapsing into silence, Seymour settled himself by the fire. Kinoc didn't trust him, it seemed, and this amused him. Patiently, he awaited Yuna's arrival. Finally, the guard came rushing back in, panting hard as though he'd run all the way.
 
 
“Their just… coming… up the lift… now…” he said, bent double.
 
 
Sure enough, the lift clanked to a halt and the muffled sound of footsteps could be heard clearly. Almost immediately, Seymour got to his feet, smoothing his robes down and flipping his forelock out of his face. Kinoc laughed and approached Auron, hugging the guardian briefly in greeting.
 
 
“I'd heard from Seymour, but I didn't know if we'd actually meet.” He released the guardian. “Good to see you, Auron! Ten years, is it?” Kinoc laughed gently.
 
 
Suddenly, a young soldier sped in urgently, saluting to Maester Kinoc. “All troops ready to move at your command, sir!” he announced importantly.
 
 
“Good.” Kinoc nodded. “Dismissed.”
 
 
“Sir!” With a final salute, the soldier left.
 
 
Wakka and Yuna followed on after him, and Seymour gave half a thought to following after them and trying to smooth everything out over between them.
 
 
“Tell me, Auron.” Kinoc boomed. “Where have you been the last ten years?”
 
 
“We don't have time for this now, do we?” Auron replied simply, avoiding his question.
 
 
Kinoc smirked. “This plan won't work, you know that.” He lowered his voice slightly with an air of conspiracy. “We'll just let them dream a little longer.”
 
 
“What?” The boy exclaimed, stepping forwards in shock.
 
 
Seymour sensed that Kinoc, being the idiot he was, was letting too much slip. “Lord Kinoc…” he said, in way of a distraction.
 
 
It worked. Kinoc sighed slightly, before looking to one of the more senior guards. “Oh, yes. Proceed.” He nodded.
 
 
“That Kinoc, a maester?” he heard Auron ask in amazement. Fighting to hide his smirk, Seymour couldn't help but share his astonishment. Kinoc was a weak fool who tried to distract people with simple illusions that deluded only himself.
 
 
“I heard that, Auron.” Kinoc grumbled resentfully. “A lot has happened these last ten years. What were you doing, and where?”
 
 
“Fulfilling a promise I made to a friend. I still am.” Auron replied lithely.
 
 
“Just tell me one thing.” Kinoc sighed. “Have you seen Zanarkand?”
 
 
“Hmph.” Auron ignored his question and strode away.
 
 
By now, Yuna had returned and she and the non-Al Bhed boy stood near Seymour, whispering to each other nervously.
 
 
“I kinda… think we don't belong here.” She chewed her bottom lip.
 
 
An important-looking Crusader stepped forwards suddenly, clearing his throat. “It is time at last. We must tell the Al Bhed waiting outside to begin the operation at once. The fiends may break through. This place is not safe. Make sure you're prepared to defend yourselves.”
 
 
Immediately, everyone began to check their equipment, switching various weapons and clipping on bangles and extra bits of armour. Seymour had no need to check; he'd used the same staff all his life, and the thick material of his robes provided more than enough protection from the elements. As he left the command centre, he felt Yuna's eyes on him, and quickly turned to catch her gaze. Blushing when she realised he'd caught her out, she gave him a small smile before averting her gaze to the ring she held in her hand.
 
 
There was only one type of ring that would ever look perfect on her slender hand; Seymour hoped he'd be the man to give it to her. A small flicker of hope quivered inside him. Those looks she gave him - there was more than just admiration and awe in her eyes when she gazed at him. His heart leapt at the thought that maybe she felt for him, as he felt for her. From that moment on, he vowed to nurture those feelings, with a view to having them bloom into something wonderful.
 
 
“Maester Kinoc. Please.” It was the guard.
 
 
Yuna and her guardians filed past him, gathering at the cliff's edge and peering down at the preparations that were taking place on the beach below. Maester Kinoc walked forward, onto a platform set up on the edge of the cliff, overlooking the massing ranks of Crusaders on the beach. Scores of chocobos squeaked and chirruped on the shore, with Crusaders making the last adjustments to their armour and weaponry, before mounting them.
 
 
“Will Sin come?” Yuna asked anxiously, clasping her hands together.
 
 
“Sin always returns for its spawn.” The guard told her. “To make sure, we're going to encourage them to call out to it.”
 
 
“You won't have to. It'll come.” Auron told him, his eyes never leaving the long stretch of blue horizon.
 
 
Suddenly, the ground shook. A cage was hoisted up the side of the neighbouring cliff, holding a large, vicious sinspawn inside. On the beach, another cage was electrified, and everyone watched on in horror as the ground quaked again, and the fiends escaped from their prisons, roaming out into the open.
 
 
A horrendous, serpentine beast dropped down from the cage suspended over the cliff beside them, and horror turned to panic. Yuna, Auron and Wakka stood facing it, drawing their weapons and preparing to do battle. Seymour wished there was some way he could help out, but a small string of guards had blocked him and Maester Kinoc inside the command centre. In annoyance, he could only watch as Yuna and her guardians valiantly battled the fiend. After what seemed like an eternity, the beast eventually gave way, flailing and thrashing around on the ground. Exhausted, the fighters turned their attention back to the forces on the beach.
 
 
Out in the bay, long fingers of black shadow were crawling across the ocean towards the shore. It rose suddenly, revealing itself as Sin. The masses of chocobo riders steadied themselves, waiting for the cue to charge.
 
 
“Let's go!” yelled the female leader, Lucil, urging her steed on.
 
 
Sin drew to a halt, still partly submerged in the water, lying in wait. Suddenly, the powered-up Al Bhed cannons were fired, striking Sin. Each hit caused great hunks of its outer skin to tumble into the water below, where they morphed into fiends and swam for the beach. Lucil led the charge forward, storming the small band where sea met sand.
 
 
“Look out!” Auron shouted suddenly, eyes widening in shock.
 
 
Tides cascading in waterfalls down its mountainous body, Sin drew itself up to its full height, dropping the outer barrier of skin, which crashed into the water and transformed into a myriad of fiends. A large force field appeared around it, before extending outwards. Massed on the beach, the Crusaders fought off the sinspawn unaware of their impending doom. The energy barrier reached them, instantly wiping them from existence.
 
 
Slowly, Yuna opened her eyes, blinking away the white fog that she saw. A dull pain registered with her, and she rubbed her head carefully, before sitting up and looking around her. She instantly quailed, seeing the snake-like fiend alive again. Seymour appeared to be holding it off alone, his arms pressed against its tough, leathery claws. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Yuna was awake. Spurred on by her consciousness, he summoned all his strength and pushed the monster hard, causing it to slide back a few metres. Yuna was standing now, and Auron was walking towards them, sword unsheathed.
 
 
“Stand back, Lady Yuna.” Seymour warned her, getting ready to attack. If anything were to happen to her…
 
 
“Y-Yes.” She nodded, standing a little way from him.
 
 
The fiend charged at them, snapping Auron in its claws. He grunted, sagging to his knees momentarily, before pulling himself upright and unleashing a volley of blows upon its tough hide. Unaffected, it slammed back into him, causing him to slump unconscious on the floor. It then turned its attack on Yuna, only to find Seymour in its way. Quickly, he cast Fira, blasting one of its claws off. It shrilled, recoiling in pain. Yuna barely had time to give her thanks, before it thrust its remaining claw at her, smacking her to the floor.
 
 
Hot pain coursed through her body, as she fought to breathe, a red mist obscuring her view. Something was squeezing the life out of her, crushing her ribs and forcing the air from her lungs. Blood bubbled up her throat and she choked on its acrid taste, as it filled her mouth.
 
 
Distraught, Seymour launched into his overdrive, slaying the beast in one go. Yuna dropped from its constricting clutches, and Seymour dived for her, quickly pulling her out from beneath the dying fiend as it fell to the ground.
 
 
“Lady Yuna?” he asked her anxiously, kneeling down and cradling her head in his lap. “Can you hear me?” Tenderly, he brushed a strand of pale hair from her face, stroking her cheek.
 
 
Laying her down delicately, he got to his feet and cast a couple of Cura spells on her, praying with all his soul that she would open her beautiful, bright eyes. After the fourth spell, he grew desperate.
 
 
“Yuna, please…” he murmured pleadingly, mainly to himself, as he rifled around for a Phoenix Down.
 
 
Eventually, and to his great relief, he found one and used it on her lifeless body. At once, it breathed life into her and she began coughing, a small trickle of blood dripping from her mouth. Groggily, she sat up and blinked a couple of times, before looking up at Seymour. As she opened her mouth to thank him, he smiled and held out his hands, helping her to her feet. She marvelled at his calm composure, gratefully accepting a small handkerchief to wipe the spurt of blood from her chin.
 
 
Inside, Seymour was a nervous wreck. The thought of having nearly lost Yuna made him want to wrap his arms tightly round her and never let her go. Those precious few minutes when she'd been dead to the world had been among the worst in his life.
 
 
She stood in front of him, performing the prayer as an intricate gesture. “Thank you, Maester Seymour… You saved my life.” She told him earnestly, holding his gaze a second longer before dashing to the side of a dazed Sir Auron.
 
 
--
 
 
A/N: Har har, Seymour in angst! Awesomeness! I know it was kinda cliché and a little non-script, but I wanted to give the guys some `quality time' together. And hey, this is a love story after all. R&R please, `cos reviews account for around 99% of my life.