Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Can't You Hear The Bells? ❯ Can't You Hear The Bells? ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Can't You Hear The Bells…?

Note: No character belongs to me because, well, the name's original but she's a Alexandrian Soldier so.. she belongs to Squaresoft.. ^^ I haven't really noticed anybody write any stories about the minor characters, why?

The day had started out peaceful while I made usual stroll through the castle town of Alexandria. The children were playing, some with action figures, some playing usual games. It reminded me of when I was a child but.. that's not important, is it? My duty is to protect Alexandria and the queen.. Brahne.. Such an ugly woman.. But Garnet, her daughter, a pretty young lady.

I stopped, seeing my superior, General Beatrix, walking towards me. I saluted and she only nodded, passing me by. "That was strange.." I thought aloud, which wasn't rare. I usually did that. "She usually salutes back.." I shrugged and continued strolling along.

A sigh escaped from between my lips. The helmets could get so damn annoying because you have to where them your whole shift, which mine lasted a good twelve hours, half a day. But it was worth it, because I did swear I'd protect Alexandra, with my life.

"Good," I mutter, "no one's fighting.."

I strolled past the tavern and into the square before the ferry that would take you to the castle. "Geez," I mutter, saluting to a passing soldier who saluted back. "The days seem to grow longer and the sun grows warmer.."

I looked at my pale skin and chuckled. The sun never seemed to affect me, I wonder why..

But that once peaceful day turned into a nightmare when night had come. The town was in ruin and, well, how can I describe it? The town was set aflame, by the damned God of Dragons, Bahamut. A summoned creature.. Princess Garnet could handle them but her powers were taken away, from what I had heard so who was summoning him..?

I glanced around, my blond hair sent a dark crimson from the flames. "Where are they, those spawn from the mist? I know they're here somewhere.."

I shifted, hearing a sound from behind and turned, ready to attack. "G.. General!" I felt my heart skip a beat and I saluted.

She gave me a coarse glare and then gave me an order. "Soldier.. I need you to go and protect the remaining survivors and get them to safety!"
"Y.. Yes!"

"By the way," she said as I began to leave. "What's your name?"

She was asking me my name? I should feel honored but I felt scared. "M.. my name? I.. It's Maeko.."

General Beatrix chuckled and I shuddered from the cold chuckle. "Well then, Maeko, go and make this town proud, for your heroic deeds.." With that she ran off.

I coughed, the smoke was getting to me but I couldn't stop as I raised my sword, one of the hell spawn of the mist coming towards me, chasing a child and his mother. The ran past but the creature stopped, more so interested in me.

"Come on," I muttered, ready to attack.

The creature rushed forward but I dodged, due to it's slowness and send my sword into it's back. It screeched out in pain, before falling, dead. The child and woman had ran off, to safety, I hoped..

Though I was only a low class soldier for Alexandria I would use any means of protecting this place, my home. I raised my sword, growling as the creator of this disaster stepped before me. My hands twitched and I gripped the sword tighter.

"Trying to destroy my home.. You bastard.."

He only smiled, tossing strands of his silver hair behind his shoulder.

"Sadistic freak.."

The glare he gave me caused me to freeze, my breath catching in my throat. I knew he could feel my fear and anger but I didn't care.

"Such a lovely little pigeon, are you not? A soldier protecting her home, how daring.."

"Don't try to make loose my guard.. Your charming attitude won't work on me.."

He chuckled and gave me a pensive look.

I twitched, shifting, rushing forward, about to strike when a sudden blow of magic send me back and into the wall of a building. A cry of pain escaped from me and whiplash was caused, my head jerking back and then forward, the helmet falling off and skidded across the ground.

A groan of pain escaped from me, which was shortly followed by a cry of pain as I was lifted of the ground by my neck. A choked for air, desperately trying to breath as the maniac continued choking me.

Everything began to grow dark and I struggled, harder, my nails digging into his arm, my legs kicking the air until it hit him, square between the legs*. But it did little or no damage*. "D.. a.. m.. n.." I said, gasping between for air. Stupid metal protectors. He was a smart man, using metal* there instead of anything else.

I coughed, losing grip on his arm as I felt myself losing consciousness.

"Such a pity you have to die.."

His grip tightened and I cried out, again, tears stinging at my blue eyes. Life shouldn't have to end like this.. Why would mine have to? Dying to the hands of a man who I thought was an ally. "I.. have on.. thing.. to say.. before I.. die.."

He looked at me, loosing his grip.

"When you're killed, Kuja, remind me to tell god to send you to hell, where you belong.."

I watched as a hideous smirk appeared on his lips and his grip tightened again, on my neck. I closed my eyes, feeling my breath leaving but then I heard it.. That sound. That sound that reminded me of when I was younger. The church bells ringing, loud and clear, before they were silenced.

"Can't you.. hear the… bells?"

After a look of confusion he finished his job, ending the life of another Alexandrian soldier, who would probably be long forgotten as time passed.

-Fin-

Note: Eh heh! This was fun..

#1 * - Yes, it's an ultimate defense for us woman if we are attacked by a man, we kick them between the legs, yay! It'' fun to do that just to make someone mad.. ^^

#2 * - Ah, metal.. It did no damage because her kick was so weak! But.. he should've felt SOMETHING unless…

#3 * - Yes, I believe it's metal down there.. mmhmmm.. It should be.. It GLEAMS like metal in the sun! So, he uses metal there boy, it must be heavy to walk around with metal down there..