Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Doll House ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: I have not, and do not own any part of the Final Fantasy VIII universe nor it's characters. I also don't promote for any brand names used, if I did, I don't remember. I also make no profit from this, it's just for fun.

...

Prologue:

"Help me..."

Was the first thing I'd heard one night; I didn't tell anyone about it because I thought maybe I imagined the whole thing. That, and everyone else would have thought I was crazy - but I wasn't crazy, I really did hear someone calling for help. I didn't know who it was, or where they came from, or why they were talking to me specifically.

All I know is I've got to find this person and help them, because it's not just my job.. it's something I feel I have to do - for them - and myself...

...

"Aaaauuuuuggghhhhhhh!" I yawned noisily recieving looks from everyone in class, including instructor Rappaport. "Sorry." I replied lamely. I started staring out large window on the far side of the room.

"Zell, pay attention."

Instructor Rappaport snapped at me. I had been in this class for what felt like hours, and I was ready to go; in some sense not paying attention makes me feel like I went.

"Yes, instructor." I said absently. "Sorry." I added, lamely.

"Well it seems that we'll be going over near the Tribian area for the holidays, so I won't give you any home work over the weekend..."

"Woo Hoo!"

The whole class cheered in some verbal or physical way, throwing our hands up not even realizing we cut the woman off.

"Afffter... you do a 100 word essay about the opposite elemental junctioning; and, yes, I expect this to get done promptly, none of that scribbling during class after the break - with the exception of Margret, who'll do her's later on."

"Why does she get a later on?" I accidently said out loud, and instructor Rappaport gave me a sharp look which turned my eyes downward.

"Mr. Dincht, she happens to be going on a mission - which is none of your business in the first place. Now I suggest you keep your mouth shut or I'll give you another assignment."

"Sorry, instructor Rappaport. It won't happen again." I replied

But she just had to add. "See that it doesn't."

I hate when the instructors pick on cadets, especially when it's usually always me.

"Finally." I mumbled when hearing the sound tone for us to change classes; and since I don't have any at this time I can start that idiotic essay. "Uggh" Grumbling, I began to pick my things up.

If I hurry and get to my room maybe I could catch Seifer before he leaves. I started to run for the exit but something stopped me - a little girl.

"Help me...I need your help." She said.

The kid looked about 7 or 9. She has black hair that's short to her shoulders but rounded in around her jaw. She's wearing a pink dress with a white collar that lays down, it has short bulb-sleeves, and over it is a blue smock. She must have come from art class or maybe cooking. But that doesn't seem right. If she attends Garden, she should be in uniform. Another odd thing is that she's as pale as a ghost.

The girl is standing outside looking into the open window right at me. "You want me to help you?" I asked her walking over to the window so we wouldn't have to shout. How did a kid get on Garden grounds anyway?

"Help me...I need you to help me..." She said again

But as I got closer, she moved away. "Wait don't go." I said, but she kept backing up.

"Please help me..."

"Little girl, wait!" I was ready to jump out the window to catch her but I felt a sharp hand come down on my shoulder.

"Zell, I'd go if I were you." The Instructor says to me. "Wouldn't wanna get in anymore trouble than you already are, right?"

I repositioned myself, putting both feet back on the floor and smiled at her as friendly as possible.
"You don't understand; there was this kid outside, she was asking for my help."

She looked out the window and shook her head. "Yeah, well I don't see anyone."

"Must have been a mistake then, good bye Instructor Rappaport." I grabbed my things and rushed to the door shouting over my shoulder. "And happy holidays!"

"Good bye, Zell. Happy holidays."

Okay, that shocked me a bit; but hey, at least she didn't say something negative again.

"Dinkyyyy." I heard Seifer's voice before I saw him. As I turned around to go to him, my feet left the floor. Seifer had picked me up.

"I'm leaving now." He said while planting a kiss on me.

"Already? But I thought..."

"Tell that to Kinneas." He said, cutting me off; he put me down.

"Don't even start," Irvine stated walking down the hall with his arm around Squall's waist. "the sooner we leave the sooner we can get back, and do what we do best." The sniper planted a kiss on Squall who seemed a little withdrawn about it being out in the open.

Their love is in private, but I bet if you could look in it'd be great. I smiled to myself feeling Seifer's arm come around me as he made a loving sigh to mock them. "Doesn't it just give you cavities?" He asked me, and I laughed.

"Whatever." Squall retorted to the teasing. He then made it worse by looking around before pulling Irvine into a hug. "Hurry back." He commanded.

Irvine replied. "I will, don't worry. Everything will be fine. I'll miss you."

"Me too." Squall said. "I love you."

Is what I think Squall mumbled, only because of Irvine's reply.

He whispered into Squall's neck. "Yeah, I love you, too."

"He rushed me and then he takes forever himself." Seifer said to me then grabs Irvine's arm. "Come on cowboy, you can play with the Dandy-lion later."

"Bye, guys." I said to them, receiving a waving departure. "So, you wanna help me with my essay?" I asked Squall, who didn't seem interested but he nodded. "Come on, we can get some snacks and everything." I suggested as we walked down the hall to my dorm room.

I couldn't help but start running to my door, because walking was getting me nowhere fast, and I wanted this done and over with so I could enjoy my holiday. I thought Squall might have started to speed up too but the jingle of his belts didn't change it's pattern of a steady strut. When I reached my door I slipped the card through the slot.

"I think I might have something to eat in the mini-fridge." I hoped. Walking into my room I dropping my books onto the little desk, then went over to the mini-fridge. "Cool, hey you want some cookie dough ice cream?" I asked when I heard him turn into up in my century. "Or maybe some popcicles?" I offered, holding out a box of chocolate Happy-Humor bars.

When I put them down on the table I reached for some milk cartons that I bought from the store the other day. Nothing beats pops and milk. Better than water, they belong to the same compound family. Dairy. He opened the box of popcicles and took one. I took one after when he handed it off to me.

"Let me just clean this up and we can get started." I commente, picking things up from the mess on my desk and stuffing thembinto the drawers.

When done, I slid my seat out and dropped into it.

"So what's the essay about?" He asked grabbing my book.

"We have to do it on junction pairing." I replied.

"That should be easy, why do you need my help?" Squall dropping the book back to the table. "Who gave you this one?"

"Instructor Rappaport, you don't have her. She's bossy, and she makes us do assignments whenever there's a holiday or something big coming up."

"Ouch." He said rather mechanically, then he bit into his ice cream bar. "Sooo are you gonna help me?"

"What do you want me to do? Stand around while you blast me? You can use the spell pads for that." He remarked looking at me.

"Well, that's what I got this book for." I pushed it closer to him. "You look through it while I write my own words down first."

He started looking through the book and I began to write down my own thing, it was all going along smoothly. Almost done. Then distraction struck. I saw that little girl again!

"Help me...please help me..."

She said again over and over. I looked at Squall, who seemed content with the book as though he didn't hear her.

"How can I help you?" I asked her; from my blind-spot I saw Squall look up at me.

"I thought I was helping you?" He commented and looked out the window after noticing aim of my gaze. "What are you looking at?" He then asked.

"Help me...please, I need your help." She said to constantly.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked her standing up. "Why won't you tell me?" I then asked, but she kept repeating herself.

"Zell, who are you talking to?" Squall asks me again, but I couldn't take my eyes from the kid she would run off again.

Running over to the window I grabbed the bottom framing and tried to jump out but Squall grabbed me, and kept me from doing it.

"Zell, what's gotten into you?" He asked me.

"Don't you see her?" I asked him.

He looked out the window, shaking his head.

"She's standing right there by the tree. How can you not see her?" I said to him, pulling away.

"Because there is no one there." He replied backing off.

"Help me..." She said now, closer. Inside rather than out. I snapped around then jumped from start. I planned to grab her, but she dodged my reach and ran.

"Wait!" I started after her, not even stopping to wonder how she got into my room when she was just outside.

I ran down the dorm halls and out into the main area. She was moving fast calling to me still. "Help me...please help me..."

"I'm coming, just slow down!" I called to her.

When she hit the stairs I thought we'd lose her on the second floor, but once Squall and I got off the elevator it was as though she was waiting there for me because she was standing still until she saw me. Judging by the way she whizzed past the class rooms I could tell she was heading for the bridge. Shit! That's dangerous!

"Wait!" I said to her.

To my horror, when she was out on the balcony she jumped!

"No!" I said going over after her. It was weird - as if something had shifted the air-space I was in. I'm used to feeling time magic cast on me, sure, but this was different. It was - evil. Was it possible for magic to have intentions like humans? Don't think so...

My feet hit something as though my own sudden drop had been suspended in mid-air for a moment; however, before I could make sense of it I was yanked back onto the balcony by Squall, who had, thankfully, grabbed my shirt pulling me back over.

I was gasping, terrified that I nearly threw myself over the side of the school. But wait! The little girl! Where is she?

"What the hell were you doing?" Squall asked me, angered and shaken by my unusual behavior.

"I-I... I don't know." I really don't know.